Advice/Help Stuck

Dragonborn1

Hello again, I have many ideas I wanna try out here. A paranormal/supernatural world with monsters, or a post apocalyptic world with animals kinda like Mad Max with airships maybe.

The thing is, I’m unsure of which one to tackle first. Plus I don’t know if I wanna start up another rp when already in one.
Another problem is how much worldbuilding must I do for a rp? Not for something like D&D but for a 1 on 1 rp.

Hoyo.

There are no rules regarding how much worldbuilding you have to do for an RP.

However, a good rule of thumb to follow is to think about maybe the top 5-10 questions people are likely to ask about your world and at least make sure you have enough information and worldbuilding to answer them.

Questions like, but certainly not limited to, the following would be a good place to start:

* What's the genre?
* What's the setting?
* What's the time period?
* What's the technology level/limitation(s)?
* Is there magic, mysticism, occult, etc?
* What kinds of characters (races/creatures) are we allowed to make?
* What are the politics, religion, culture we should know about?

These are a few of the most common questions I get when opening a new RP or creating an Interest Check. Because all of this information is important for knowing how far I can push my character and how much room for creativity I have with the backstory and what comes before the RP to inform who my character is at its starting point.

And let's face it. We're all here for role-playing because the point is to create a character and immerse ourselves in a world. The less detail the world has, the less immersive it is. And the weaker the overall experience can and likely will be.

Anywhoosle, that's my two cents on the matter!

Cheers!

- GojiBean

In terms of setting, those both definitely sound cool, so I would say to go for whichever idea excites you the most right now.

In terms of whether or not to start another RP, it would depend on the kind of RP and your personal style/availability. If you think you can take on something else without it negatively impacting what you have going now, go for it. If not, maybe start work on fleshing out the world and concept, and only get things started when you feel you have the appropriate time/headspace to dedicate to the project.

In terms of worldbuilding, I would second what GB said- try to think of what information you would want/need to have about a world in order to join an RP, and start from there. The amount of lore 'needed' can vary wildly from player to player and RP to RP. So if you're more minimalistic with a 'build with your players as you go' kind of approach, it's fine to do something barebones and fill things out with whoever joins as things progress. If you would rather have everything established and fleshed out beforehand, I'd suggest making a lore thread in your Private Workshop, maybe run stuff by a couple friends as you work and, when you feel you have something you're satisfied with, post up an Interest Check.

Hope this helps~!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back