• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Stranger of Hope

The night grew longer as Valen followed the game trails to the east of Rikals, He was returning home from a long day of collecting herbs to restock the apothecary. He found more tanglefoot than he'd anticipated but the abundance would keep him from climbing that horrid hill again. He scowled at the wounds the tanglefoot bushes left him. Rikals was not far away now, all he needed to do was go around the treeline half a mile until he was in his bed. Valen slowed a bit and thought of crossing through the trees and saving some time. He readjusted the satchel and pushed through the low hanging branches into the trees.

Valen had made it halfway into the trees when he thought he heard something. Valen's eyes adjusted slightly to allow the moonlight to reveal colors not perceivable with his darkvision. He watched the shades of grey transform into tints of green and brown as he scanned around him. He moved slowly forward, cautious with every step he made. He heard the noise again. A faint muffled moan. It could be an animal that had fallen prey to traps out in these woods. Valen pulled a dagger out from his belt. Better to help it pass than to leave it suffering. Valen moved toward the sounds until he spotted a grey wolf standing over something. Valen's instincts told him to run, get away from the beast. But before he could shift away, the grey wolf saw him and began to protect what it was covering. As he watched how the wolf behaved, the nature was that of a guardian or pet. Valen sheathed the dagger and raised his hands to the wolf, indicating he was not a threat. He slowly walked forward towards the lump beside the wolf. The wolf continued to growl and bare its teeth though not as it did before. Valen saw that it was an elven woman under some leaves. He knew now what the wolf was attempting to do. Guarding the woman until she woke up but the wound on her head looked like it needed to be tended before that could happen.

"Calm yourself, big guy. I'm a healer of sorts. I'm going to see to your mistress and make sure she's revived." Valen says to the wolf, attempting to calm the animal.

The wolf shows no other signs of aggression and allows Valen to wrap the woman in his arms and carry her off to his cabin. The wolf followed closely every step of the way, worried for it's master. Once inside the cabin Valen placed her on the bed and tried to give her some water. Then gathered rags and a slave to clean off the wound and bandage it. He sat down beside the bed where she lay and watched for any signs of the woman stirring.

Ashryn vaguely felt a sense of motion through her pain, and groaned softly as she was jostled. There were other faint sensations, a pressure and coolness on her head, and then slight relief from the pain. She sighed softly, and managed to open her eyes briefly, seeing unfamiliar surroundings. "Athene," she croaked softly 

The woman began to stir as Valen dozed in the chair beside the bed. He awoke as the woman said a name, not quite catching it all. Valen leaned forward and checked on the woman.

"Athel? Is that your name?" Valen calmly asked. Not sure what she said, he tried to figure out the word until she responded.

"Alene? Is that your name?" He asked again

"Maybe it's the town you're from? Bethlen? I don't know that town." Valen whispered to himself, not sure what the word truly was.

"Athene," she said again, and the wolf outside howled at the sound of his name. She seemed to relax and closed her eyes. "Where am I?"

The howl of the wolf startled Valen, causing him to back away quickly. He pieced the two together and shook his head. 'Athene is the wolf's name... How silly of me.' he thought to himself. He brushed away some of the salve that dried outside the bandage before looking down to the elf.

"You're in Rikals. In an apothecary of Rikals, to be exact. Under my care since it looks like you've fallen and bumped your head pretty nasty like." He explained to her, pointing at the wound.

He wondered if she remembered how she got to this place. It wasn't like an elf to just slip and fall on a rock. Too graceful the elves were, he would know being of elven blood.

"Do you remember what you were doing out in the woods east of here?" He asked her before sitting back down in the chair.

Her lips twisted into a grimace, trying to think. "I uh... Travelling. Something attacked me from behind. I don't.... remember much."

She opened her eyes again, dark green searching the ceiling above her, as if looking for answers.

The response Valen received was indeed troubling news. The elven woman was travelling with her wolf in the woods and was rendered unconscious. He tried to form an explanation in his head. He concluded it to a ranged attack from somewhere but it didn't make any sense.

"Well, don't worry about it now. You're safe here. Just rest and we can figure it out when you're better." He said, consoling her.

Valen went to his living space and grabbed a jar of water to give to the lady. He returned with a mug and slowly gave her a few sips as she laid there.

"Do you remember your name? I noticed you could recall the name of your companion here. Surely, you must know it." He said, hoping she did.

"Of course I know my own name. It's..." she trailed off, then her eyes widened in shock. "I don't remember. How could I not remember. What happened to me?" she asked in horror

"Calm down. Take it easy now. It should come to you soon." He said, giving her some more water.

"You hit your head pretty good. Just relax and not strain yourself. I don't want to have to sedate you." He said, pointing at the rack full of vials and bottles.

"No, you don't understand!" she said, forcing herself to sit up. "I need to see Athene. I need to figure out my name!" Her green eyes were hysterical, and she was starting to hyperventilate.

"Your companion hasn't left your side! Now quiet down before I kick you out of my home!" Valen shouted and pushed the women onto the bed.

He went to retrieve a tonic to calm her and stop her from going into shock. He returned and held the vial to her lips.

"Drink this. If you want to stay here and have me aid you, drink the tonic." He said sternly, becoming frustrated with the woman's antics.

There was a loud scratching and barking at the door, Athene sensing her distress. 

She was switching between languages, trying to push Valen away. "I don't need ηλίθιο το φάρμακό σας I just need to figure out who I am! If I don't χάσουν τα πάντα, δεν μπορώ να ξεχάσω μου name! It's very important!"

The woman panicked and become hysterical even more that the tonic splashed back in Valen's face. The strong smell of mint lingered on his golden skin.

"Alright! Alright! Get out!" Valen shouted back. "There's the door and take that beast with you!"

Valen turned around in his modest sized bedroom and walked out into the living space that served as his kitchen and pantry. Not a big cabin he had, but it was enough for him.

"I've gotten not a wink a sleep yet! So if you could hurry and make sure the guards understand you're just soft in the head. Don't want them bashing you over until your head is literally soft!" Valen said, wiping the tonic of his face.

She shrank away from him as he yelled at her, her eyes brimming with tears. "I- I'm sorry..." she said softly, she said as she stood up, swooning a bit as she tried to find her balance. "I didn't mean to be a burden...." she stumbled as she walked to the door, Athene nudging her with his head between growls at Valen

The sulking woman began to eat away at Valen's insides. He was a healer. He couldn't kick this woman out, even if she was being a pain in the rear. Valen stood out of his chair and regarded the growling wolf.

"Oh shut up. Sit. Go on." He points at the bed. "I don't want you wandering around in the dead of night with a wounded head." He motioned her to stay.

She looked at the floor as she moved back to the bed, sitting carefully. The wolf put his head in her lap, looking up at her forlornly. "I'm sorry," she whispered again. 

He dismissed her apology. He analyzed her and inspected her. She was clearly full elven. He looked into her eyes and saw youth. She had young features, so she wasn't as old as most elves were. He guessed close to half a century or more, he wasn't absolutely sure.

"Let's settle down now." He sat in the chair beside the bed. " My name is Valen Whisperwood. As you could see, I'm of elven blood but not fully." He said showing her his ears.

"Now, You're gonna have to stay here until you can remember your name and anything else from where you came from. But not for free." He says. "I run an apothecary and people need healing. Broken bones and what have you. They tend to do silly things like adventuring of all things."

Valen looked at the woman again and smiled. "You could work under me as my apprentice. Never had one of those before. And it's not like I run a prison, you are free to go whenever you please." He explains, hoping she knew where she stood.

She glanced up at him and nodded, running her fingers through Athene's fur as her other hand felt her ears and seemed surprised by what she found there. "I don't know how to heal though. Or at least I don't think I do."

She looked down at her lap. "Where did you find me? Maybe if I go back I'll remember something."

He yawned and looked out the window, seeing the stars glittering in the distance. He turned her and responded, "You'll learn soon enough. But right now, you'll have to rest. I need to rest."

He continued, "I'll take you there in the morning. I could use some more frostweed to remake the tonic you splashed in my face."

Valen leaned back into the chair and grabbed a fur blanket from the chest beside it. He placed the brown fur blanket over himself and got cozy. "Just relax for the night. I'll replace that dressing in the morning as well. Sleep." He said, as he shut his eyes. 

She looked at the bed distastefully, and pulled of the blankets and curled up on the floor, Athene snuggling up next to her. It took her a long time to fall asleep, she was thinking too much, trying to remember who she was and where she came from

The morning came shortly after. The sun's rays peered through and lit up the inside of Valen's apothecary. Valen began to stir and he stretched out his arms and felt the soreness that settled into his body from sleeping in the chair. He winced and looked over to the bed and notices that it was empty. He looked around and saw what he was looking for. She still lay there, his mysterious elven woman, asleep with her wolf. Valen lifted himself from the chair and went to make himself some tea. He didn't bother to wake her. Last night was an ache he was hoping to forget.

He gathered the pot and heated it with water. Placed the herbs inside a straining box and tossed it in to brew. Valen waited until it was ready and poured himself a cup. He exited his home and sat outside on the small patio and soaked in the sun. Greeting the early morning passerby as they went on their ways to do their work. He was thinking of how he was going to train the poor woman. Already anticipating the difficult task ahead. 

She woke up as he moved around in the kitchen, but didn't move until he was outside. Athene yawned, his tongue lolling out of his mouth as he stood and shook himself to stretch. 

She pulled herself off the floor, feeling like there was something she was supposed to do but couldn't remember

After a few minutes, Valen was approached by a guard of Rikals. There was an odd limp to the man.

"Good morning, healer. I've seemed to hurt my leg in training earlier. The captain would like you to take a look if that's alright with you." He explained with a slight grimace.

"Ah, Stephen. The lads being too rough with you?" Valen laughs and continues, "Come come. This'll be my good for my apprentice to take her first steps."

The guard looked puzzled, "Apprentice? Never thought you'd take one."

Valen lifted himself off the chair and began to walk to the door, "Neither did I, Stephen. Neither did I..." His voice trailed off as he opened the door to the apothecary.

She was sniffing an open vial, making a disgusted face, then dipped her finger in the solution and let Athene lick it off. 

Both of them turned as the two men came in, and she hastily hid the vial behind her back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back