• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Steamhaven: Land of the Lost

She reached with a hand to steady herself and take a hold of Patrick's arm, before she lost all of her strength. Maybe leaving early was not such a good idea, but the damage was done already. Hopefully the doctor's treatment will get her back in shape quickly.

"Careful there- Gods, you're a wreck," Patrick commented, steadying her. With his help, they made it to her room, pastries left behind on the nearest table for safekeeping. Going from the front door to her bed to beneath the covers seemed like a blur to Lianna, however, and before she knew it a cup of water and one of the doctor's vials were held in front of her face.

She wouldn't remember if she drank from them or not, or whatever it was that Patrick said just before her eyes drifted closed.
----
Upon opening her eyes, she'd find herself several feet from the front door of her childhood home. Wind whipped at her hair whistled a tune of nostalgia in her ears. Looking around, nothing seemed to have changed; Lianna's old home remained...

- A wild, tropical treehouse
- A wintry mountainside cabin
- A desert town hut
- A hidden forest cottage
- Other

Lianna felt the chilly familiar winds as she looked up the steps to her home. It was always cold in the mountains, perhaps this was why she didn't have many problems with the Steamhaven's climate. But here at least sunny days were more often. She walked forward, then stopped abruptly. Why was she here? She didn't want to return to her home. She wasn't ready yet.

1552510352010.png
Her family's cabin stood tall in front of her and behind stood the blackwood fence whose spikes warded off bears that tried sneaking into the property at night, searching for food. Beyond, the wilds of the mountain. Looking up Lianna could see the large wolf head that decorated the front of the cabin, made of carved stone, and the warm light of a fireplace illuminating the bottom of the front door. Smoke rose from the chimney, melting into the grey and white landscape.

Along with smoke, she could smell the scent of pine and a familiar stew of broccoli and potatoes.

In front of her, the door began to open.

- Stand there
- Walk closer
- Run
- Hide

Who would open the door? Mother? Father? Lianna was anxious to find out, to see if they have changed over the years, but she dreaded this moment more than anything. The disappointment she would see in their eyes, it would make her feel like she failed all over again. She quickly ducked behind the fence, careful not to be seen.

SjUfwBt.png

The door burst open to reveal not Mother, not Father, but Lianna herself. Fire-red hair whipped around her, a stark contrast to the snow that flitted down, and she yanked a luggage case from out of the front door. "Stop following me." She looked years younger than she was now, eyes filled with the indignant rage of a teenager.

A pair of slim, slightly wrinkled and worn hands held out a scarf. "At least keep warm-" Mother stood in the doorway, Father behind her, and frowned when her daughter snapped back at her.

"I said leave me alone!" Another yank of the luggage case had it tumbling down the porch steps and into the snow. Teen Lianna cursed. "I'm fine." Waved off the concerned look of her parents when her father stepped forward to try and help.

- Keep watching
- Look away
- Run
- Intervene
- Other

Lianna froze at the sound of familiar voices and felt her heart burst when she saw the scene. How different it looked now from this perspective. How she wished it never came to pass. Unfortunately, it did, and she could not prevent it.

Suddenly, she realised, that the scene before her was unnatural. She couldn't have been a spectator to a part of her life. Was it a dream? If it was, she wanted to wake up from it soon.

Upon realizing it was a dream, the sound of her parents calling her name amplified. And then it was Clem's voice, and the world began to shake, and suddenly Lianna's eyes - which had already been open, staring at the wintry scene - seemed to open again, revealing her bedroom in Steamhaven.

Her bedroom and a very frazzled, worried cousin staring down at her.

"Clement, stop that!" Accompanying her Aunt Muriel's voice was a slipper that popped Clem in the shoulder. The feel of hands on her upper arms disappeared. "It was just a nightmare, you needn't shake her."

"She's awake now, though," his voice held a hint of smugness amid the concern, "Lianna?"

- Scold Clem
- Address Aunt Muriel
- React to the dream
- Ask to sleep longer
- Other

"Ughh, what time is it? Let me sleep, Clem..." Lianna groaned, trying to swat his hands away. She suddenly noticed her aunt there and the uncomfortable feeling from that dream seeped into reality. She opened one eye only, peeking at the two of them. "What's wrong?" She asked, knowing that if her aunt was here, something was not right.

1552523783591.png
Aunt Muriel stood there, ageless as ever despite her occupation. She had the same red hair as Lianna's mother and the girl herself, having passed it onto Clem, and the same full lips. While nowhere near as successful as Clara, the woman was a force to be reckoned with; she stood tall, far taller than Lianna ever remembered her mother being, with a curvy athletic build that often intimidated others. It emphasized her No-Nonsense demeanor of which she was reputed for.

"What's wrong is I nearly lost my niece," she said, though her voice held no heat. "You've been out for days now, battling an infection. It's nearly the weekend."

The weekend, which was when Dan's event was scheduled. Getting sick costed Lianna precious time of improving her mentor's social etiquette.

- Panic
- Try to get up
- Hug Aunt Muriel and/or Clem
- Ask about Patrick
- Other

"Oh, no, Dan!" Lianna exclaimed in panic. She moved the covers and made to stand up from the bed. "I have to get to the Hub. Dan has this fancy event scheduled, I was supposed to help him get ready for it. Ugh, those stupid undead and this stupid totem..." She grumbled.

"Hey, careful," Aunt Muriel stopped Lianna from rising with a hand to the chest. "I'm not against you going, but you need to take it easy. We'll come with you."

Clem lifted both brows: "Speaking of totems, Dan-"

"Save it for the Hub," Aunt Muriel cut him off, "Dan explains it better than either of us could. I still don't quite understand his theory." Placed a hand on Lianna's back and under her arm, despite Lianna's strength returning, to help her stand upright.

- Ask about the theory
- Ask something else
- Stand on your own
- Rely on Aunt Muriel
- Other

"Oh, is the totem still in my pack?" Lianna asked. She wasn't aware how many days had passed. "I should take it to Dan. I took it apart." Then, she remembered and looked around the room, searching for her new flatmate. "Where is Patrick?"

Was he taking care of her while she was unconscious? The thought made her cringe, what a great impression she must have left on him by now. First she broke half his stuff, then she almost died and then she was forced to take care of her while she was completely incapacitated. Well, he had turned into a werewolf in-between those events, so it made them almost even.

"Patrick's at the blacksmith," Aunt Muriel said. "Dropped off the totem to Dan when he came in for work."

Clem nodded. "He's usually a jerk, but he was nice enough to seek me out and ask me to watch you while he's not here. Speaking of which..." her cousin's gaze turned from concerned to curious, almost teasing, "...were you ever going to tell me about your new roommate?"

Aunt Muriel didn't say anything but Lianna could see a matching grin on her lips. Clem definitely had his mother's smile.

- Talk about Patrick
- Change the subject
- Ask something else
- Head to the Hub

Lianna rolled her eyes, "I was too busy getting eaten by the undead." She said, but then smiled. "Patrick needs a temporary place and I have enough room. It's convenient. And I admit..." She raised her hands. "I like him a little, but I trust that the of you will keep that information for yourselves."

"Oooooh," Clem teased, sounding more like a younger sibling than an adult man. He laughed. "You definitely have a type, but mum's the word."

Aunt Muriel motioned for Clem to gather their things as she steadied Lianna on her feet. "Speaking of those bites, I know a lady who can help you keep the scars away." Her teasing grin turned into a proud smile. "She's done wonders for me." Assuming it wasn't just good genes, the lady most definitely knew her stuff; Muriel's skin looked flawless, nearly void of wrinkles or battle marks, despite having raised Clem as a single, working mother in the midst of a dangerous city like Steamhaven.

Together, the three departed Lianna's house - but not without Clem grabbing a handful of dried jerky from a jar on the counter - and headed towards the Hub.

Steamhaven was as drab and chilly as always, with the groans of undead occasionally coming from corners or shaded alleys. Except, as they came within about half of a mile from the Hub, Lianna's ears met only silence.

Well, silence aside from the chattering outside. For the first time since Lianna had arrived in Steamhaven, she saw Hunters gathered on the front porch of the Hub, chatting without worry. The atmosphere of her workplace was lighter than it ever had been despite the recent tragedy of the blood moon.

- Go inside
- Talk to the Hunters
- Look around
- Other

That wasn't right. The Hunters were usually gathered around the table discussing their most recent or next hunt, or sharpening their weapons. To see them spend time outside and talk idly about weather, was not a sight Lianna ever hoped to see. For some reason, it made her nervous.

She approached the group and greeted them, trying to spot any familiar face, "Hello. How are things going? Any news?" She asked, trying not to sound alarming or worried.

While Lianna did recognize a few faces, she only did so in passing; they were more strangers than acquaintances. One of them was the female hunter Patrick argued with the day Lianna met him. She looked up, having been sitting on the steps. "Uhhh... hi," she didn't sound condescending - only surprised that Lianna had spoken to her.

The man beside her, burly and brawny like a bear, shrugged with a smile. Considering the number of amber jewels he wore, Lianna could safely assume witches were his specialty. "Peaceful. Weird, isn't it?"

Aunt Muriel nodded in response. "Not a word I'd use to describe Steamhaven, but you're right." Placed a hand on Lianna's shoulder. "She's been out of commission the last few days. Dan's mentee."

The woman's brows lifted, "So she doesn't know."

"Well," the man stood up, belly big from too much food and ale over the years, "let me be the first to tell you that we've-"

"Wait-" Clem tried. And failed.

"-discovered how to stop the undead," he smiled even wider, cheeks plump and rosy.

Clem deflated. "That was supposed to be a surprise. Dan wanted to tell her."

The man's smile evaporated. "Oh, damn, I didn't know. Well... you can act surprised, can't ya?" He looked to Lianna.

- Ask the Hunters about the undead
- Hurry inside the Hub
- Other

"Holy cr- cow!" Lianna exclaimed. "Is it the totem? It helped didn't it?" She looked at her aunt, but then remembered an eerie conversation from some time ago. "Could this just be a bit a of calm before the storm? There's something I have to tell all of you." She said quickly. "A week or so ago a vampire told me that the supernaturals were planning to form an alliance of some kind, them against us. We should still be on guard."

The good mood grew somber as quick as it took Lianna to share Landon's warning. "They what?" Aunt Muriel's hand on her shoulder tightened, "Why didn't you tell anyone? Why didn't-" She released her suddenly, almost begrudgingly, and pressed Lianna's back to guide her forward. "We need to discuss this. Come." Looks like the undead would have to wait.

Clem followed them, brows nearly reaching his hairline, and the two Hunters who'd been enjoying their morning brought up the rear.

Inside, while numbers had certainly dwindled, what remained of the Hunters had a newfound cheer to them. People shared notes openly alongside jokes and a good laugh. Several small trays of snacks ranging from home-made to gourmet decorated the main table, people idly picking at it as they chatted. There was no alcohol and no banners, streams, or balloons but Lianna could easily tell that this was a celebration.

"Sit," Aunt Muriel directed. Pointed to a nearby chair. "I'm going to gather everyone in this room, and then we're going to discuss these vampires." As she made towards the basement, she stopped and gave Lianna 'The Look'. "Don't go anywhere."

Clem remained at her side and once Muriel had disappeared into the basement, he glanced at his cousin. "I'm not sure whether to be more concerned about the 'alliance' or how mad Mom is," he fought a grin. "Doesn't look it, but she's fuming."

- Stay put
- Follow Aunt Muriel
- Gather people upstairs
- Send Clem to gather people
- Other

"There was a werewolf attack at the moment!" Lianna exclaimed. She would have mentioned it sooner, but there never was a quiet moment.

She didn't have much, but to follow her aunt in silence, feeling like a rebellious teenager that was about to get a talking-to. A shrug was the only response she gave to Clem, trying to find a comfortable position in the chair, while she waited for aunt Muriel to gather the Hunters. She would need to think of a cover story for Landon, not wanting to out him right away, she owed him that much.

After a while, Aunt Muriel returned with the basement dwellers. Among the group was Dan, of course, as well as Poppy and Emma. She left for upstairs without a word, likely to gather Patrick and whoever else hadn't joined in the celebrations downstairs.

Clem waved the three over and Poppy was the last, though most eager, to reach them. She looked much better than the last time Lianna had seen her, though she still looked pained and bandage wrappings poked out from the sleeves of her shirt. At least she was out of bed. "You're awake!"

"Glad to see you," Emma smiled, eyes warm.

Dan's version of a greeting was to dive into the news almost immediately, speaking over the two women. Crouching beside Lianna's chair, he whipped out a journal of notes. "We did it, Lianna! The undead, the totem, it's all connected," he started. "Patrick told me you disassembled the totem. Is this correct?"

- Talk to Dan
- Talk to Poppy and Emma
- Wait in silence
- Other

"Hey." Lianna greeted all of them with a warm smile. She was glad to see that Poppy was recovering and that Dan was his old self. "Yes, Dan, I took it apart... some days ago." She was fuzzy on how long it had been. "How did it help with the undead?"

"Mixed reports of the undead staying dead and the undead rising came in from bulletins," Dan exclaimed, referring to the big bulletin board of casework the Hunters worked off of. Most Hunters would gather around that and pick odd jobs if they weren't already in the midst of a case. "Then Patrick returned with news of the totem. I got curious, so I-"

Smiling rather widely, and Emma beside her looking proud, Poppy popped Dan in the shoulder warmly. "He went outside and did his own fieldwork."

"I couldn't well depend on anyone else, could I? So many mixed reports and contradictions, and Lianna was ill. There was no time to waste!" Dan said, "But you know what I found?" His brows lifted as if waiting for Lianna to guess, but impatience consumed him and he carried on without giving her a chance to speak: "Within a half a mile radius from the Hub, the dead would not rise, and upon entering that radius, the undead currently walking would turn lifeless."

Dan was beaming a bright, beautiful smile that not even his unkempt facial hair and obnoxious goggles could hide. "The totem is what brought the dead to life in this area, and I suspect there are more. Hundreds, even."

- Ask Dan about his fieldwork
- Ask Dan about Patrick
- Ask something else
- Other

"So, it definitely wasn't there for our protection..." Lianna scoffed, but soon there was a warm smile on her face. "You actually went outside on your own, Dan. Now that there's less undead, I expect that you will finally grab lunch with me at some point. Not in the basement. And not in the Hub either." She squeezed his hand affectionately. "And we still have that gala dinner to go to, right? Any chance you've been practising your etiquette?" Though, she already knew the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back