Science Statistics Meltdown =/

NessieAlways

da bomb diggity
So I know this isn't really science, but I don't know what else to classify it as...I'm having a really hard time understanding the world of statistics. I have homework due tomorrow and I can't even get passed the first question. I've been working on this for hours, but I just don't understand it.

If anyone understands statistics could you please help a poor girl out?

This is the first part...

Calculate the probability that an observation from a sample of normally distributed observations is identified as an outlier:

(a) Find the z-scores for the first and third quartiles, Q1 and Q3 (the 25% and 75% points).

(b) Find the number of standard deviation units making up the interquartile range, IQR.

© Find the z-scores which correspond to the lower and upper fences, L and U.

(d) For normally distributed data, what is the probability that an observation x is an outlier, i.e x < L or x > U? (i.e. p = Pr(X < L) + Pr(X > U))

(e) Using a binomial model, estimate the sample size n such that the probability of seeing at least one outlier, P r(N > 0), is at least 90%. This number is the integer value of n satisfying the inequality Pr(N > 0) = 1 − Pr(N = 0) = 1 − (1 − p) n ≥ 0.9

I've done up to C after that I'm just like O.o WTF?

Can anyone help me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back