Starting a World Building Project

Grey said:
I'd nearly add a third faction whose members come from both sides and view technology as a way of restoring unity, and ending the war. Tie the magic to the gods to really add tension.
And what, have them worship the planet? The stars?

Nope, make the irreligious. Maybe not militantly antitheist, but more inclined to seek their own technological solutions rather than relying on the magic of the gods.

shepsquared said:
So a religous the faction, a religous magic faction and an atheist tech faction. Not very good for balance
Aren't we still trying to figure it out what the world is going to be? Maybe culture/religion should wait until we know what's going to be inhabiting the world.

Hm, anyone remember what Medel was going to do next? This being a collaborative thing I might help move to the next phase soon, since people seem pretty universally in favour of an idea, and we have a means to combine the preferred two.

So, barring anything odd, we've decided on the conceit that the sun and the moon are actually deities and have frozen the movements of their celestial bodies. This creates a day-side and a night-side with small areas of 'twilight' from both sources, correct?

And there's the suggestion to toss in the steam vs. magic idea into this setting. I'd say before we go there we need to work on the world itself. What effect does being under the sun 24/7 (or however many hours in a day and days in a week there are) have? How about being in perpetual night? Does the moon actually shine in the sky? If so, how? And what about the twilight areas? How is the fauna and flora there affected as opposed to the other two?

Yeah, I was thinking we'd want a new, proper thread for hammering out those practical details.

EDIT: Maybe have a subforum in Creativity for this project? That feasible, Roses?

Ya we should at this point... Maybe we should go on to step 2 at the moment...

Now call me a stickler about the tidal-locked planet... If were going to really be doing such a setting we must know the limitations of such. The idea of the 'Twilight' band as I would see it be the most hospitable region and the only region with liquid water. The Dark sides to cold, while the Bright side is to hot as it will evaporate rather quickly.

Grey said:
Yeah, I was thinking we'd want a new, proper thread for hammering out those practical details.
EDIT: Maybe have a subforum in Creativity for this project? That feasible, Roses?
Possibly just bring it up in the staff forums in a new thread.

Freeman said:
Ya we should at this point... Maybe we should go on to step 2 at the moment...
Now call me a stickler about the tidal-locked planet... If were going to really be doing such a setting we must know the limitations of such. The idea of the 'Twilight' band as I would see it be the most hospitable region and the only region with liquid water. The Dark sides to cold, while the Bright side is to hot as it will evaporate rather quickly.
Don't forget that magic is a part of this, so neither side has to be uninhabitable. That is exactly the type of question we'll be answering once we've figured out the basic format.

@Grey: I hate to hijack this thread as Medel started it, but I do think it's time to move on. Shall we call the vote?

Freeman said:
Why did you post a link to nothing? Well at least for me I am getting a Error from RpDom...
Weird. Earlier today that led to a poll. I even voted on it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back