• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Starship crew

Should we use the die mechanic described?

• Yes! It sounds fun!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's not a good idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LegoLad659

Fairy Queen
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey!

So, I don't really have many of the details worked out here yet (Other than this will be a simple/casual level RP), but would anyone be interested in a roleplay where you play as a crew member on a military starship fighting an interstellar war? Of course, unlike the last group RP I tried to start, this one will have an actual storyline (Probably picked up on or between missions or something), but like I said I haven't worked out many of the details yet.

It may also incorporate a dice mechanic from another roleplay on a separate site I saw a long time ago, but I'm still deciding on that. Here's the gist of it, if it helps:

So, this mechanic, if used, is based off of the "Amount of luck" die system from a roleplay... I think it was called Einsteinian Roulette. Basically, for every action you make, or is made to you (You fire your weapon, an enemy hits you with their weapon, you hack into a computer, etc.) a roll between 1 and [insert number, originally 6 but this could be changed] is made. The die roll will directly affect the result of the action, and can be altered by things like an aim stat, agility, or armor strength. The result rolls come in five different levels:

1. Everything goes horribly wrong, you fail your objective, and possibly other disadvantages like being forced to retreat due to a severe injury, depending on the action
  2. You fail your task in a non-spectacular way, the expected consequences happen. Usually will not result in serious injury, though this depends on the situation.
  3. You succeed in a standard, non-exciting way.
  4. You succeed. In fact, everything goes perfectly to plan. Can come with extra advantages depending on the situation.
  5. You succeed. In fact, you succeed so unbelievably well, that the Universe decides that you couldn't possibly get out of this without some sort of bad thing happening as a result of things going so well. So that's what happens.

Of course, all actions won't require rolls, but any action that could carry a consequence will. Also as a result, if this system is used, everyone will have to wait for me to post with any results before they can post a second time.

So, what do you think? Is anyone interested? Should I or should I not use the dice mechanic? Let me know your thoughts! (^.^)

Edit: The RP thread is up! Here it is: https://www.rpnation.com/threads/the-zelrian-war.120826/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ( :) ) It's nice to know someone has as much enthusiasm about this as you do. So, is the dice mechanic a good idea?

This seems interesting. Count me in!

Also, i think that the dice mechanic would be a good idea. It will prevent anyone from being OP. It's also the first time that i see this kind of mechanic, so i'm excited to see how it will work out.

SleepiestBear7 said:
This seems interesting. Count me in!
Also, i think that the dice mechanic would be a good idea. It will prevent anyone from being OP. It's also the first time that i see this kind of mechanic, so i'm excited to see how it will work out.
Cool! (^.^) And yeah, I've seen this in action before, and I think it worked pretty well (Though in that game the GM was a lot more harsh with it that I think I'm willing to be ( :P )). Thanks for your input!

Well, since a few people are interested, I'll go ahead and start preparing the thread. It might take a little while to complete (Especially since I have to go to work in a couple of hours), so I'll let you guys know when it's done.

I just have one question, though. Should I post it in Futuristic or Dice Roleplays? I haven't done this before, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Since we're using dices, you should post it in the Dice Roleplays. "Futuristic", "Realistic or modern" and "Fantasy" are only for diceless roleplays.

SleepiestBear7 said:
Since we're using dices, you should post it in the Dice Roleplays. "Futuristic", "Realistic or modern" and "Fantasy" are only for diceless roleplays.
Mmkay, thanks! I'll get started on it right away.

Grey said:
What kind of die will you be using?
Well, the original was a 6-sided die, but I'm thinking it should be higher than that. How much higher, I have no idea, though. Do you have any suggestions?

Well, using a single die gives you a really flat probability curve, but your success ladder is 1-6 already, so using a different die forces some adjustments.

There's a fairly simple model using 2d10s (which is to say two 10-sided dice) plus a character trait rated 1-5.

It basically works like this.

11 - Easy task

14 - Moderate task

16 - Difficult task

18 - Hard task

20 - Very hard task

On average, you'll hit that 11 and succeed at easy stuff, and generally succeed at moderate stuff the character is meant to do - like a doctor with Medicine 5 easily pulling it off, but a character with no medical training just not cutting it.

2d6 also gives you a better curve but I can't think of the best success ladder of the top of my head.

Hmm, interesting. I don't want the die system to be too complicated, but I'll definitely consider a system like that.

That's one of the simplest that still manages to be fair - the single d6 has such a flat probability curve that it might as well be a coin toss, and it makes it impossible to distinguish characters mechanically.

Right. I was just considering a die with a higher face value, like a d20 or something, so I could vary the success/failure ratio however much I wanted depending on the situation.

D20 does give you more room to work, aye. Should work well enough for you.

I'd join. If you are planning on using alien races, I have a great place you can get your lore base from.

Deadkool said:
I'd join. If you are planning on using alien races, I have a great place you can get your lore base from.
I didn't know I had to have a specific set of lore for the alien races ( :o ) I already have the lore set up for the Human race, and the antagonist race's as well. I just assumed people could come in with their own as well.

Well, you don't have to, it's just easier to have aliens with preset lore for random encounters along with unique ones for the crew.

Well, whatever happens, I'm going to design my own race. (And folks, keep in mind that the more detail we put into gameplay mechanics, the busier the DM is going to be and the longer it's going to take to get this rollin')

Users who are viewing this thread

Back