• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Splatoon: Before the War

Canon or Fanon characters?

• Canon characters (Cuttlefish, Octavio)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ferociousfeind

Shamrock Shake
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm feeling a burst of motivation again, and a Splatoon roleplay which is actually solid and not just "Slice Of Life disguised as Fandom but it's falling apart as I try to add plot".

So, this time around I have a real plot idea. I'm sure you read the title, this will be taking place hundreds (dozens?) of years before the events of Splatoon and Splatoon 2, during (Not quite before, actually) the Great Turf War.
Octarians and Inklings are forced to fight for the same land they used to peacefully reside in as rising tides continue to consume living space. Elbow room is scarce, and the first flags of war are flying.
The Octolings will, obviously, have an advantage. They will, during the roleplay, construct the Great Octoweapons (though they can be structures other than the current available bosses in Splatoon/2), and they are more widespread (a more serious interpretation of "the inkling couldn't get up early enough to fight" found in the sunken scrolls).

The weaponry will, of course, be more primitive than our current Blasters and Rollers and Chargers and Aerosprays. In the sunken scrolls we see Captain Cuttlefish's Squidbeak Splatoon with rather basic pump-activated ink weapons, we will be limited to those, plus some more goodies you may develop along the way.

In the way of secondaries, there will be splat bombs, burst bombs, echo-locators and an anti-tank-like seeker invention.

Specials will include the Kraken, the Inkstrike, the Bomb Rush (of each secondary), the Inkjet, a special like a mobile ink cannon, and something like the Stingray which cannot pierce walls.

Alright, but not everyone cares about the specifics. Some people just want to talk to other people through squid people in the past of the future. Which is fine by me, that's exactly what I'm here for!

Though I'm not sure how I feel about GM-ing another game, they're oddly terrifying whenever anyone posts anything but no matter!

Ermm, so I guess I just post it now. This is Interest Checks, right?

Holy carp this looks splat-tacular! I'm so sorry I couldn't resist I just thought it was ink-perative that I do it! Okay I'm sea-riously spending too much time thinking of these puns.

Interest in my thread? Perhaps I might be able to manage a real roleplay, and have fun as well? What has this world come to?
also bump

Yo,I noticed this because it had “Splatoon” in it,huuge fan of it.I barely see any Splatoon roleplays here,and I’m pretty interested.

Oh yeah this is a thing I made once.

Lemme write down some thoughts before they enter Oblivion.

The roleplay will be probably about as open-ended as the campaign itself. As in, not very. We'll be exploring Octarian (/Inkling) outposts, barren, war-torn countryside's, and scaling massive Octoweapons.

Speaking of, I want the game to also be more vehicular than the original. Most battles will be fought either in, or with the accompaniment of a tank-like vehicle. They'll be comparable to the Octoweapons we have now. The actual Octoweapons will be about as large as a stage on their own, probably wandering about in the sky, or deep underwater, or on a mountainside. Sizable next to a Divine Beast from BotW.

I'm going to keep the exact details obscured, but you'll probably hear rumors of giant mechanical monsters in the sky and in the sea. Those are the Octoweapons.

As for the challenge on the Octoling side, they'll be primarily establishing bases and outposts to advance on Inkling territory.

In fact, lemme write these things down anyways.

Octostomp:
You can't not have an octostomp! Instead of its comical design in the game, its legs are bulky and mechanical. It has stubby arms to lift itself off the ground after stomping. By far the smallest, but you still have to climb it, and it's two stories tall, about 4x larger (in all 3 dimensions) than our current Octostomp/Neo. Octotroopers are stationed along its sides to deter pesky inklings from climbing its sides. Powered by 2 Zapfish along the top of its head, though the top is uninkable, you have to climb the sides.

Octotrain:
A long train made primarily of uninkable surfaces. Ink Cannons across its top will destroy any approaching tanks. It speeds around on its track at about 5x swimming speed. To get on, you'll be provided with vehicles similar to Technicals (like a civilian truck but it has a gun on the top) to chase after it. The caboose is too far away from any of the Ink Cannons for you to be spotted, and the platform that's usually on a caboose is open to anyone trying to jump onto it. However, then you'll have to either fight through the top-mounted Ink Cannons or the dozen octotroopers maintaining the train. It is powered by 3 Zapfish hidden near the three Ink Cannons.

Octosub:
A gigantic subsurface mobile installation. It has no defensive armaments besides Ink Torpedoes which will place a time limit on the mission: it will periodically fire these torpedos at an Inkling blockade to try to break it up. You have to find and retrieve the 5 Zapfish powering it before it fires a fifth torpedo. It'll probably be a stealth mission as well, as any part of the installation can flood itself at a moment's notice, so you'll have to not be spotted. To get on at first, you'll have to catch it when it resurfaces for air.

Octoplane:
You get to fly a plane in this one! You and a squadron of three other inklings mount an assault on the Octarian Flying Fortress, the Octoplane. It has anti-air cannons on it, so be careful! Once you take those out with a few well-placed shots, you can jump from your plane onto the vehicle. Don't worry, your planes will hold their positions relative to the fortress. Once inside, take out the Octotroopers inside, and grab the four Zapfish stationed across its hull, before it drops its payload onto the civilian city below! Very time-sensitive.

Alright, but all the others are secret!

Last edited:
Gonna ask this of anyone who is currently interested, or is interested and willing to stop lurking. Canon characters (Captain Cuttlefish etcetera) or new Squidbeak Splatoon?

Of course, all of your characters will be OCs, as there aren't any canon inklings or octolings discussed in the game, besides Captain Cuttlefish and D.J. Octavio (of whom will be played by me).

However, if we are using canon characters and you want to play as either Captain Cuttlefish or D.J. Octavio, feel free to say so, however that will also be the co-GM spot as well. You know, important inside and outside the action.

Last edited:
I'm typing up the main RP thread and the char sheet, I swear. Also I think I've decided on how the campaign will work.

There are two sides, we know this. Inklings will run 2-3 missions before facing one of the Octoweapons as a stage-sized boss. Their actions in-game will indirectly affect which bosses they will face and in which order, meanwhile we'll probably hold a vote OOC as well. Octarians will run mostly missions similar to the ones the Inklings will run, but in reverse; essentially setting up future missions for the Inklings to run through. Inkling and Octarians will meet each other occasionally during missions, along with during the boss fights. The Inklings don't necessarily have to defeat all of the Octoweapons, and there will probably be dice involved in determining the outcome.

When posting, I will present a problem or a situation for the current players to solve however they see fit, more D&D style than the more common freeform roleplaying we see here. When the mission is time-sensitive, I will provide an ominous red counter of indeterminate value at the end of my post. The longer your posts are, the less time you'll have to complete the mission. But it'll be a rough metric, and not wholly consistent, honestly. When not under the threat of destruction, feel free to interact without waiting for my post, as in most freeform roleplays found on this site. The timer will probably change color as the situation becomes more intense, from yellow to orange to urgent red to imminent failure!

[2 minutes remain]

D-20 rolls will accompany your actions. <5 is general failure, <10 is subjective failure with a catch, <15 is subjective success with a catch, and >15 is general success. The results may be biased, adding or subtracting from the dice roll, based on the difficulty of the task, however your character's skills may also augment the roll on top of this difficulty.

For example, my super amazing sniper character takes aim at an Inkling that's running about, flailing wildly. The shot is super difficult, so -4 from the roll. But my sniper is good at what they do, +2 for the roll. This gives an average -2. I roll a 12, minus 2 equals 10. The shot grazes the Inkling, scaring them, but hits something else that was behind them. A switch or something.

Geez, I just go on rants when I want to, don't I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back