Someone used my Character Sheet BBCode?

Semblance

↣↣↠◇↞↢↢
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
<p>

So I'm not exactly sure who has "rights" over BBCodes, but I noticed today that someone had used the exact code from a character sheet that I had posted in another RP. The only thing that person changed was the background color, but I'm not sure how to approach this situation. I would prefer that person have asked me ahead of time (because I certainly would have agreed), but I don't even know if I have "rights" over a BBCode template in the first place, since technically anyone could see it and use it.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Semblance said:
So I'm not exactly sure who has "rights" over BBCodes, but I noticed today that someone had used the exact code from a character sheet that I had posted in another RP. The only thing that person changed was the background color, but I'm not sure how to approach this situation. I would prefer that person have asked me ahead of time (because I certainly would have agreed), but I don't even know if I have "rights" over a BBCode template in the first place, since technically anyone could see it and use it.
I can't exactly answer your question but I would like to let you know that I used the template from Apollyon for another rp (with some changes to layout and such). Sorry that I didn't let you know as I didn't think about it.

I've had things stolen from me before. It's a confusing feeling, because whatever I created was so good that the person felt the need to copy it exactly. My case was slightly different in that it was a collection of ideas stolen from a roleplay of mine. I contacted the person about it, but they never answered.

I'd just talk to the person. I know that I'll look at other BBC codes all the time. And depending on where you posted it they could have thought it was free for use. As for instance if you made it for a group or something.

Mykinkaiser said:
I can't exactly answer your question but I would like to let you know that I used the template from Apollyon for another rp (with some changes to layout and such). Sorry that I didn't let you know as I didn't think about it.
Lol this isn't about you, don't worry. I provided the code for the Apollyon RP especially so that people can use it

Selene said:
I've had things stolen from me before. It's a confusing feeling, because whatever I created was so good that the person felt the need to copy it exactly. My case was slightly different in that it was a collection of ideas stolen from a roleplay of mine. I contacted the person about it, but they never answered.
nerdyfangirl said:
I'd just talk to the person. I know that I'll look at other BBC codes all the time. And depending on where you posted it they could have thought it was free for use. As for instance if you made it for a group or something.
So it was an RP that we were both part of and I posted a character sheet for it using this code that took me a long time to get right. This person is currently a co-GM in another RP that I want to sign up for, and that's where I saw her post 2 characters using the same exact code but just a different background color. But I'm also kind of worried that if I message the person, he/she is going to be biased on letting me join

Semblance said:
Lol this isn't about you, don't worry. I provided the code for the Apollyon RP especially so that people can use it
So it was an RP that we were both part of and I posted a character sheet for it using this code that took me a long time to get right. This person is currently a co-GM in another RP that I want to sign up for, and that's where I saw her post 2 characters using the same exact code but just a different background color. But I'm also kind of worried that if I message the person, he/she is going to be biased on letting me join
Well first off it sounds as if you would rather they change the code? There is nothing wrong with asking that. And if the person is petty enough to not let you join a roleplay because of it than that's probably not a roleplay you want to be part of anyway.

Although to be fair I have noticed in general people tend to mimic post layouts. Grant you I mostly make a template and then just repeat it so I couldn't tell you if those people make a layout based on someone specific or if they just naturally fall into mimicking it because they think they're supposed to.

But yeah I would honestly just say to this person - hey I see your code is similar to mine did you borrow my codes? If so I would appreciate you credit me or whatever.

And honestly sometimes things look similar without being exactly the same. I have done this just eye-balled a character sheet and mimicked it with my own format. It's not copy and pasting in the sense that I literally reuse their idea. It's more I liked the way it aligns so I make it myself using the same or similar codes.

As far as I'm aware, staff will not act on a case of 'stolen' BBCode because our BBCode is so limited, it's very easy to come up with identical codes, even if both users never looked at each other's codes.

Sorry to hear that Semblance (though I get why they stole it, that Appollyon CS is literally the gold standard of CS's)

I'd PM the person in a friendly way and just ask him/her to change around some things so it's not exactly the same, but that's just an idea. Overall I'd think this problem is going to be quite limited and after that RP dies the CS won't circulate around and be copied more: as good as any CS is, I only speak for me but whenever I start an RP I get all paranoid about if other people's BBCode is the same and if I need to change it so I don't get a reputation for stealing things.

Archie said:
Sorry to hear that Semblance (though I get why they stole it, that Appollyon CS is literally the gold standard of CS's)
I'd PM the person in a friendly way and just ask him/her to change around some things so it's not exactly the same, but that's just an idea. Overall I'd think this problem is going to be quite limited and after that RP dies the CS won't circulate around and be copied more: as good as any CS is, I only speak for me but whenever I start an RP I get all paranoid about if other people's BBCode is the same and if I need to change it so I don't get a reputation for stealing things.
Haha the Apollyon CS was a pretty simple one that I didn't really care about, but the one in question was a layout I had spent pretty long trying to perfect

It's okay tho, I've decided to just drop it. This is a community of sharing and people get ideas/inspiration from others' posts all the time

this has happened to me multiple times. i don't really care— it's bbcode, not like someone's stealing css from me —but i wish people would at least tell me so i'd know, you know?

Happened to me before as well. It's really unfortunate, but there's not much that can be done about it. Take pride in knowing you're so good people will copy you. :P

Impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery? Or in this case... indefinite borrowing? Or... something? xD

Sorry it happened! Unfortunately, people don't hold to the same etiquette as others might.

While I respect your hum... Not sure what the word is in this situation, "artistic integrity"? Perhaps... Anyway, the point is I respect your feelings and know it can really hurt to have something stolen from us, but...

You said it was in another RP.

BBcoding can be explored in a manner of ways, but if I do this:

h
I´ll always end up with that spoiler box. And the reverse applies too: To get that spoiler box, I would need that coding.

The point is, coding is fixed. I am aware of how complex the coding that you used is exactly, but isn´t it rather possible that the person used the same coding as you rather than copying it from you? Had you ever met this person at all? I am not even the first one to suggest this...

Idea said:
While I respect your hum... Not sure what the word is in this situation, "artistic integrity"? Perhaps... Anyway, the point is I respect your feelings and know it can really hurt to have something stolen from us, but...
You said it was in another RP.

BBcoding can be explored in a manner of ways, but if I do this:

h
I´ll always end up with that spoiler box. And the reverse applies too: To get that spoiler box, I would need that coding.

The point is, coding is fixed. I am aware of how complex the coding that you used is exactly, but isn´t it rather possible that the person used the same coding as you rather than copying it from you? Had you ever met this person at all? I am not even the first one to suggest this...
I think the idea was that the person used the same series of coding to create a similar looking CS (except for the background color). So it wasn't so much "They used Bold and so did I" -- it was more... the exact same code... (similar to if the person were to take the character and use that, but change the name)

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]I think the idea was that the person used the same series of coding to create a similar looking CS (except for the background color). So it wasn't so much "They used Bold and so did I" -- it was more... the exact same code... (similar to if the person were to take the character and use that, but change the name)

[/QUOTE]
yes, I understood that much, but really, even knowing it´s hard work to put a lot of BBcode together, more complex coding is still universal. Even if they used the same series of coding, it´s actually quite possible they used the same by coincidence, which is made much more likely by short amount of base coding there is.

Idea said:
yes, I understood that much, but really, even knowing it´s hard work to put a lot of BBcode together, more complex coding is still universal. Even if they used the same series of coding, it´s actually quite possible they used the same by coincidence, which is made much more likely by short amount of base coding there is.
Given they were in the same RP and used the same coding, I highly doubt it was a coincidence xD But it's a nevermind matter, either way - since there's no way to pursue it. Just hoping people realize the hard work that goes into complex coding and that they have the decency and respect to ask first or give credit where it's due.

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]Given they were in the same RP and used the same coding, I highly doubt it was a coincidence xD But it's a nevermind matter, either way - since there's no way to pursue it

[/QUOTE]
*coughs*

Semblance said:
but I noticed today that someone had used the exact code from a character sheet that I had posted in another RP.
Semblance said:
in another RP.
Not only was it not in the same RP, but apparently it wasn´t even close in terms of time, by what the person who made this thread actually said.

Idea said:
*coughs*
Not only was it not in the same RP, but apparently it wasn´t even close in terms of time, by what the person who made this thread actually said.
xD Okay. You win. <3

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]
xD Okay. You win. <3

[/QUOTE]
ok. Please note, I am not trying to say your work or anyone else´s is pointless or short or that it shouldn´t be respected, just saying that maybe that person also had work, and one really shouldn´t jump to conclusion and say they stole your´s.

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]
xD Okay. You win. <3

[/QUOTE]
Idea said:
ok. Please note, I am not trying to say your work or anyone else´s is pointless or short or that it shouldn´t be respected, just saying that maybe that person also had work, and one really shouldn´t jump to conclusion and say they stole your´s.
I appreciate the input guys!

Actually, I recently found out that the person who copied the BBCode has had many issues with other users on this site in terms of stealing coding as well, so I am pretty certain that it was not just a coincidence. This person has quite a history of not only stealing coding, but also RP plots, so it seems to me that this incident is quite in line with their past behavior.

Semblance said:
I appreciate the input guys!
Actually, I recently found out that the person who copied the BBCode has had many issues with other users on this site in terms of stealing coding as well, so I am pretty certain that it was not just a coincidence. This person has quite a history of not only stealing coding, but also RP plots, so it seems to me that this incident is quite in line with their past behavior.
I see. Well, it was just a suggestion. If you actually have proof or soemthing that points out to the stealing more than just "oh, it looks like mine", then I suppose it's fine.

Idea said:
I see. Well, it was just a suggestion. If you actually have proof or soemthing that points out to the stealing more than just "oh, it looks like mine", then I suppose it's fine.
Thank you for the suggestion, and yes, I completely agree. At first, I was only pretty certain that she had stolen the coding because almost every line of code was exactly the same aside from background color. But after meeting other users who had similar issues, I am very sure now haha

But it's whatever, it was just for one RP anyway and I was rather annoyed at the time when I made this thread, but I don't care that much now :)

As long as they ask to use my coding, I'm good. It's for certain instances of complex coding (such as using user-created graphic banners into coding, incorporating types of broken coding for certain effects) that get stolen is what bugs me. That takes a whole lot of work to put into creating graphics to work for certain coding. Steal the graphic... we're gonna have problems. But, that's about it. It's just the simple text banners and not the complex image banners. Since... if you're gonna take that, there's nothing you can do if you have the title of something in there already. xD

@Mordecai

Just wanna slip in and say that coding on RPN is actually pretty fucking vast with users discovering cool shit to do with it such as using images as background drops for coding, scroll bars for accordion coding, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back