Smash 4 Training and Fun Stuff

If this takes off, should friend codes be displayed publicly on the thread?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Illusionus

Belongs in that dumpster
Greetings fellow smashers!

Have you ever wanted a place on RPNation where you could organize Smash Bros events, training, and even tournaments? No? Well too bad! I know the feeling of not being able to play Smash Bros with your friends and not being able to hold my own in a smash battle with actual people. Finally, after many, many defeats and boring CPU matches, I had hatched a plan. I could create my own thread on RPNation where all of the site's fellow smashers could join together to have all the fun and training oportunities they want. Who's with me!?

I will be adding lists here to help with event and player organization.

Ah. All I ever do is work and play Smash lately. Have both versions. I could certainly use some tasty, tasty blood.

Do keep me in the loop on this. I'd love to take part in any events. Training sessions in particular will be useful once the December DLC hits. I'm confident we'll be getting (at least) two additional DLC characters alongside the one that's just announced, but For Glory will likely be flooded with really bad Cloud players and sharks who are sticking to their mains to crush 'em. Neither are really good opportunities to learn.

Right now I'm working on getting better at Riu and Roy right now. I'm always trying to get better at the characters I like to play like Marth, Ike, and Link. I also can't wait to try my hand at Cloud. I really just hope that one of the new characters is Shovel Knight. That would be awesome.

Characters I want in no particular order: Inkling, Wonder Red, K. Rool, Dixie, Shovel Knight, Isaac, Snake, Wolf, Bandanna Dee.

Bolded being the ones I think actually have a shot. Some vastly more so than others. Really hoping for Inkling as I think they have a massive amount of potential for a unique moveset. I'd love Shovel Knight but last I heard the game hasn't even released in Japan yet. Think that'll be what keeps him out. Would love to be wrong, broke all the checkpoints on PS4 and working on a deathless run now.

That said, Smash 4 is pretty much "Video Games: The Video Game" now. Cloud is in, something that seemed so unlikely that he became a running joke within the SSB community for almost a decade. I love being proven wrong. Hope they keep the surprises coming even if it isn't a character on my radar.

Edit: Debating learning Olimar. Switching between G&W, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucas, and Ryu at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Nintendo loves Shovel Knight. Hell, he was the first indie character to be given an amiibo. I think he's got a pretty good shot.

Nintendo of America, yeah. They don't really seem to have any clout when it comes to influencing the Smash roster though. Unless Sakurai pulls another Mac on us and adds a character aimed directly at the western audience or he's just a huge Shovel Knight fan already, neither of which are outside the realm of possibility, I just don't see it happening though. More so since he's a third party character and he seems to be looking at two requirements for even bothering to go the extra mile.

1) Are they popular enough?

2) Did they move gaming (or at the very least their own genre) forward in any noticeable way?

I'm convinced the game has to at least be out in his home region before he considers it so I'm questioning the first point. I'll see if there's some statement on a similar character he made in the past that could be applied here. Only one that comes to mind is the one from Startropics. I also question the second point in that I don't really think Shovel Knight changed anything? Fun game, but not influential unless you want to use it as a benchmark for success in crowdfunding campaigns. Not sure if that'd be enough.

All that said and done; barring Snake's return (which I find unlikely due to everything Konami has said and done the last year) I really think he's one of the few third party characters left that could even be debated of deserving a spot. Shocked we've gotten so many.

Edit: The wait for December is gonna be rough. So much speculation ever since the ballot ended.

I remember seeing it a while back. I guess interest just dropped off?

In any case, MH4U is a great game. Need to get back it myself. Lemme know if you want assistance with anything.

no one else posted in the thread, IG. It was mostly me, you, and axle posting in it. anyway, I'd be down for some Smash 4 training. I main Pit/Dark Pit, Lucario, and most recently, Jigglypuff.

I might be interested. I don't think I'm the same skill level as the rest of you, but I can flail about and maybe be entertaining.

Personally, I'd be excited if Rayman got in. I mean, after playing Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends, I can see how he could have a moveset. Frankly though, it doesn't seem likely.

Cloud was a curve ball. It's hard to make guesses now.

If we're talking third-parties then I think the following are the only ones left that have a chance; Snake, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie, and maaaaaaaybe Geno if Nintendo really wants to appeal to Super Mario RPG nostalgia people like myself and view him as a symbol of SE and Nintendo's relationship during the SNES era.

Banjo is a long shot due to Microsoft but I have a feeling their willingness to work with Nintendo, Sakurai's personal desire to include him before the change of ownership for Rare occurred, and fan demand could trump it.

Not a big Rayman fan myself so I don't have much of an opinion there. I'd like his inclusion though, his design is fun and he could have a unique moveset. It's kind of funny that so many people were hyped when that fake leak popped up with him in it yet his support dropped off a cliff after that. Not to mention I have a bud who would be ecstatic over this. I'm rooting for him at the very least.

Personally I'd be fully content if Snake back myself. That's the only exclusion left at this point that hurts me. Not that there are a lot left to pull from. No other character has anything close to his unique down smash.

I get the feeling Sakurai actually means for this to be his last Smash game this time so he's trying to use DLC to fill the roster either with veterans or gaming icons. That said there may be more third parties coming? People are saying we'll get another character reveal at The Game Awards tonight but I'm not sure.

Aaaaanyway. My 3DS is currently AWOL. It'll turn up. If anyone on Wii U ever wants a fight feel free to hit me up. NNID is Wavedash.

Unfortunately I only have the 3DS version. I don't even have a Wii U. Not yet anyway.

Also, the only DLC character I've actually gotten is Mewtwo and I noticed that there's no alternate specials for him. Is that a thing with all the DLC characters or just Mewtwo? Or is my game just glitched?

Nah, your game's fine. None of the DLC characters have custom moves. Cuts down on dev time/costs I guess.

Ah. Well, that's a bit disappointing. I'd been looking forward to seeing what alternate specials they'd come up with for Mewtwo before I had downloaded it.

Yeah, for any Pokémon character in particular since there are so many potential moves from the source material to draw inspiration from.

I wonder what the chances are of Werehog Sonic getting in. I mean he definitely has a move set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back