• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern SLAYR: Uber for Demon Hunters

AtlannianSpy

Alarmed and Strangerous
SLAYRshirtblood.png

Somewhere in the Shining Park suburban housing development, in the city of Sunset Gates...

"GAHHH THIS GAME SUCKS!" Renee Walker wailed, tossing her phone into the fortunately rather soft carpet of her bedroom floor. "A hundred rolls and the best you can give me is a shitty dupe of US Dollar ?! Ripoff! Scam game! Gimme back my gems!"

"Renee!" Called a woman's voice, muffled by the floor between them but still carrying a warning.

"Sorry Mom!" Renee called, immediately contrite. Unfolding herself from her cross legged position on her bed, Renee padded over to where her phone lay and picked it up with a sigh. "How am I supposed to get Yen chan's summer skin now?" Renee mumbled, using her thumb to scroll through her paltry gains. Currency FIghterz was Renee's current addiction and despite it's slightly on the nose theming it was actually fairly free to play friendly for a gacha game: you could clear most of the content with the basic one and two star units like Peso and Euro if you knew what you were doing even a little bit. Renee had even been able to score her favourite unit, Japanese Yen, with a lucky roll early on and had been carefully stockpiling her free gems so she'd be able to roll for all of Yen's alternate costumes when they came up. Unfortunately it hadn't been enough, now the Summer Short sell event was almost over and Yen's expertly animated beach costume would be out of Renee's reach forever!

Unless...

Renee closed the game and flicked over to her banking app to check her balance and then blanched.

Urrk. No whaling I guess, I don't think Mom's gonna lend me any more...

Renee! There is (one) job(s) available in your operating radius! Accept?
SLAYR

Renee frowned as a notification took over the top slice of her screen. I wasn't really gonna work today Renee mused, even as she clicked on the notification and opened up the SLAYR app. After all, Renee had been planning to spend the day grinding materials to level up beach Yen but that wasn't really on the cards anymore...

SLAYR: demon hunting on the go

You have (one) available job(s)

Address:
Shady Palms Retirement Village, Unit 32C
Category: Class 2, Runt Pack
Customer memo:
Yeah been hearing rustling and snorting coming from the empty lot out back cause my unit is right up against it. The useless staff for this shot hole wont do anything about it and the last time I went out and sorted it myself my daughter went and nagged my ear off about how I'm "Too old for that kind of thing" so I guess I'm trying out this damn app thing. Anyways go clear em out so I can sleep some at night? It's already hard enough with my joints aching the way they do.

Accept?

(Yes / No )

"The retirement village?" Renee said and hummed thoughtfully. That actually wasn't far from her house, she could probably bike over, splat a few runts and be home in time to cash in her pay before the event was over! Hastily Renee hurried over to her closet mirror and gave herself a quick once over. A pale, skinny teenager looked back at Renee from behind large, black rimmed glasses. Her orange hair was kind of a mess but it was short enough to not matter and Renee usually wore a hat when she took SLAYR gigs, demon blood was not fun to try and get out of your hair it turned out.

"Muuuuuum I'm going out! Have you seen my boots?"

"By the door where you left them!" Called Elaine Walker from the couch, sounding faintly exasperated. "Are you doing that SLAYR thing again? I wish you'd do something a little safer. I think that little cafe in the mall is looking for a waitress,"

"I'll take demons over angry customers any day," Renee said dismissively, falling onto her butt by the front door to pull her boots on and lace them up tightly. "Besides this is safe, I only take the easy jobs, it's like...pest control basically,"

"If you say so," said Renee's mother with a sigh. "Just be careful okay? And remember to hose your boots off before you come inside afterwards! If you track blood in on my carpet again the demons will have nothing on what I'll do to you!"

"Yes M'am!" Renee said solemnly, snapping off a mock salute. "See you later!"

With that Renee was out the door and hurrying over to where her bike and trusty trenching shovel were leaning against the fence. Renee had experimented a little with various implements when she had first started out using SLAYR. Initially Renee had wanted something like a fireaxe or a sledgehammer but those had proven to be a little too heavy for her distinctly unhoned physique and clumsy to use besides. Runts weren't exceptionally dangerous if you knew what you were doing but they were quick little bastards and it was hard to hit them with something like that. A regular shovel worked okay, but the air resistance could make it a little awkward and cut down on the speed and strength of its strikes. A trenching shovel, with its flat but narrow blade was just about perfect in Renee's opinion.

Strapping her trusty weapon to the side of her bike, Renee hopped on and pushed off, crushing down the driveway onto the road. It was a mild day, classic Sunset Gates weather. The City could be kind of boring sometimes Renee thought, but she was glad of its tendency to revert to the mean when it came to the weather. With her speed pushing the wind against her face and the sun peeking down through a light, sporadic covering of cloud it was downright pleasant outside.

Perfect weather for hunting demons.

Kameron Esters- Kameron Esters-

Last edited:
bed851f67ad949981143af4f6a717f8f.jpg
Edgar Gaud tapped the keys of his laptop, a scoff parting his lips as he finished another round of Demon's Dilemma, the latest indie game that had claimed his off-hours when he wasn't wrestling with the much darker and real version of monsters. His apartment was a far cry from the expansive houses some of his peers still enjoyed with their families; a modest, somewhat cramped one-bedroom place above a 24-hour diner, whose greasy, comforting scent often wafted through his single window.

Despite the mess of cables and gaming paraphernalia, Edgar kept one corner of the room meticulously organized, with an array of demon hunting gear, an ironic mix of ancient weaponry and modern tech, all ready for a moment's notice. It was here, amid the crossroads of past and future, that Edgar felt most himself: a warrior born out of time, more at home with the thought of facing a demon than attending a college class. He'd traded academia for adrenaline, textbooks for tomes of forgotten lore, and classmates for... well, he hadn't quite worked out what to replace those with yet.

His latest run-in at the grocer's had left him with a new scar and a reminder that his combat boots clashed with the linoleum floors of normal life. But that was fine by him. He was a demon slayer, after all, albeit one who currently argued on forums about the latest patch notes for his favorite RPG rather than with actual people.

The screen of his phone flickered to life with the familiar chime of the SLAYR app.
Edger! There is (one) job(s) available in your operating radius! Accept?
SLAYR

He reached over, his gamer's chair creaking under his weight, and swiped the notification. The message was brief:
SLAYR: demon hunting on the go

You have (one) available job(s)

Address:
Shady Palms Retirement Village, Unit 32C
Category: Class 2, Runt Pack
Customer memo:
Yeah been hearing rustling and snorting coming from the empty lot out back cause my unit is right up against it. The useless staff for this shot hole wont do anything about it and the last time I went out and sorted it myself my daughter went and nagged my ear off about how I'm "Too old for that kind of thing" so I guess I'm trying out this damn app thing. Anyways go clear em out so I can sleep some at night? It's already hard enough with my joints aching the way they do.

Accept?

(Yes / No )

He exhaled sharply, his fingers running through his hair in a gesture that mingled excitement with a touch of trepidation. "Just when I was about to hit the high score..." he mumbled with a smirk that betrayed his true eagerness for the call to action.

Standing up, he made his way to the organized corner of his apartment where his dual lives converged. He grabbed his jacket, put on his his SLAYR shirt and slayer gear (which consisted of a sai he bought from the pawn shop), the weight of responsibility settling on his shoulders along with the familiar leather. Even though he was wearing cotton.

"Alright, time to slay," Edgar spoke to the quiet room, a wry smile playing on his lips as his eyes glinted with a determined spark. "Let's see if these demons play by the rules. Spoiler: they never do."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mission-01-png.1149987
AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy

Last edited:
The ride out to Shady Palms took Renee perhaps twenty minutes. Renee had never actually been here before, her own Grandparents lived out of state and in any case would have cried bloody murder at the notion of going into a retirement home of any sort. The village had a very loose sort of Floridian theme to it, with lots of stucco walls, Spanish tile roofing and, yes, actual palm trees. The palms did look a bit sickly, perhaps because Sunset Gates was a few thousand miles from the nearest ocean. They did still provide shade at least. Still the place seemed nice enough, the little cottages scattered around the inside of the village seemed clean and well maintained and there were old folks out and about, taking walks or watering their lawns and so on.

That was until Renee got unit 32C. 32C had a slightly overgrown lawn and a shack like extension made of corrugated iron that, from the rattling sound it gave off had some kind of generator in it. The lawn was also dominated by a crudely handmade sign that might have been made of driftwood and which read "NO SOLICITORS". Renee took a moment to remind herself that she probably didn't count as a solicitor and then announced her presence by tugging on the pull chime of a rusty bell by the door.

"FUCK YOU WANT!" Called a gravelly voice from inside the cottage. "If this is about my shed I keep telling you pukes there ain't nothing in your shitty little rulebook about it and you can take it down when I'm in the grave! Shouldn't take too long at this rate so exercise a bit of patience!"

"uh," said Renee, then: "N-No I'm here about the SLAYR job you posted?"

"The fuck didn't you just say that then?" said the voice impatiently, then there was a bang and an indistinct curse. A few moment later a wiry old man opened the door and scowled at Renee. The man looked a bit like a cross between a biker and a beach bum, with a roughly trimmed, silver bear and wiry, sun browned limbs decorated with colourful, vintage tattoos. The man wore an open Hawaiian shirt and underneath it was a white wife beater, he also wore a silver chain with a coin of some kind hanging from it.

The man tucked the chain in underneath his wife beater and peered at Renee suspiciously. "You're who they sent? You're a kid,"

"I have a 4.8 average rating!" Renee said, a bit defensively. She's worked hard for those good reviews, sort of.

"I don't know what that means," said the man bluntly. "Don't really care either," he added, craning his neck to the left to peer around Renee at her bike and the trenching shovel still strapped to it. He snorted. "Ah whatever. I guess you'll probably do, it's only a pack of runts,"

The man leaned over with one arm and retrieved a pair of aviators from what was probably a hallway table or something and then stepped out into the sunlight as he slipped them on.

"The little bastards are nesting in the lot out back," he said, brushing past Renee. "I'll show you the way,"

As Edgar Gaud approached the Shady Palms Retirement Village, his anticipation built with each step. The juxtaposition of his daily life and his role as a demon slayer always struck him in moments like these. As a denizen of digital and demonic worlds alike, Edgar found a peculiar solace in the transition from the screen's glow to the tangible, pulse-quickening thrill of the hunt.

Shady Palms presented itself as an oasis of tranquility, a stark contrast to the adrenaline-pumping chaos that awaited him. The palm trees swayed gently in the breeze, casting long, dancing shadows on the ground. Edgar couldn't help but feel a twinge of ironyโ€”such peaceful settings were often the backdrops for the unearthly havoc wreaked by the demons he pursued.

As he located Unit 32C, Edgar couldn't help but notice the stark difference between this cottage and its neighbors. The overgrown lawn, the ramshackle extension, and the "NO SOLICITORS" sign painted a picture of a resident who was fiercely independent, or perhaps just fiercely stubborn. It was the kind of place that might be overlooked by most, but to Edgar, it was exactly where he expected to find the kind of trouble he was called to deal with.

Stepping up to the door, Edgar rapped sharply, a clear, confident sound that cut through the quiet of the retirement village. He took a step back, waiting, his hand casually resting near the hidden sai at his side, ready for whatever might come next. His hand found the door, and with a firm knock, he announced his arrival. "Hello! SLAYR service, here about the job," Edgar called out, his voice steady, betraying none of the adrenaline coursing through his veins.

Renee hurried over to her bike to unstrap her shovel and sling it over her shoulder. She was jogging to catch up to the client, who moved surprisingly quickly for such an old guy, when she heard a loud rapping from the cottage behind her and worse yet, a voice.

"Hello! SLAYR service, here about the job,"

No! This guy's coming to steal my gacha money! Renee thought, whirling on her heel to confront this threat to her disposable income.

"Wh- Hey man!" Renne said, marching towards the...annoyingly big and muscly dude knocking on the door. "I'm already on this job! You can't just come up behind someone and snipe a gig!" Renee said in a way she desperately hoped sounded convincing. Renee was pretty sure it was true anyway, it's not like the SLAYR app even let you accept jobs that had already been taken as far as Renee knew. This guy must have seen the address when the job was still open and when it closed decided to swing by anyway and...what? Try and undercut her for cash instead of an app payment? That was almost certainly against the terms of service, Renee hadn't actually read them because who the hell had time for that but it would cut the company out of the transaction so they would definitely have tried to ban it. In any case the details didn't matter! No one was gonna get between Renee and Summer Yen chan!

Edger, momentarily taken aback by the sudden approach of a considerably smaller and less intimidating figure than he'd expected to face, blinked in surprise. He was more accustomed to confronting demons than irate teenagers, especially those wielding shovels with a fervent grip. "Uh, I'm sorry, what?" he started, his confusion palpable in the slight furrow of his brow. It took him a moment to piece together her rapid-fire accusation with the SLAYR app's workings. "Oh, the job! You think I'm here to...snipe your gig?" He couldn't help but let out a small chuckle, both at the misunderstanding and the earnestness with which the girl seemed to be defending her claim.

Shaking his head slightly, Edger decided it was best to clear up the misunderstanding quickly. "Look, I'm not here to step on anyone's toes. The app pinged me for this job, same as it did for you, I guess. There must've been some glitch or something. We can sort this out without getting the developers involved."

Edger looked to the old man and gave him a respectful nod, choosing to address the more immediate concern. "Sir, seems like there's been some confusion with the app. Both of us got the call for this job. How do you want to handle this? We can work together on this, or if you prefer, we can figure out another solution." His tone was conciliatory, aiming to smooth over the unexpected complication while still respecting the client's preferences and ensuring the job got done efficiently.

Last edited:
A glitch? That was...well, pretty plausible actually. You would think that SLAYR being responsible for work that could potentially be life or death would mean the app would be carefully designed and maintained but that wasn't really the case. The SLAYR app was frequently laggy and sometimes bugged out and suspended payments or reviews. Renee had never heard of two unrelated SLAYRs getting sent to the same job but it didn't sound that unrealistic.

"W-well, be that as it may!" Renee said, feeling her cheeks heat up now that she was on less certain ground. "I still got here first and I'm not walking away from a job I've already taken! And I can handle a pack of runts on my own!"

But Renee glanced nervously at the old man. Technically he could just cancel the job and do whatever he wanted and this...muscle headed brute! Probably looked a lot more suited to this kind of work than she did, even if he hadn't brought a proper weapon! Renee glanced down at the... was that a freaking sai the dude was holding?! WHere had he picked that up a pawn shop or something? A shovel was obviously much more...

The old guy cleared his throat with a hacking cough, looking annoyed.

"Criminey this is why I didn't wanna deal with all this app crap!" he said. "I don't know nothing bout no goddamn glitches or ping pong or whatever! I just want some demons killed! You punks shouldn't be hunting solo anyway. You know what we called a solo demon hunter back in my day? A dead one! I already gave this damn computer program my money, so the little lady can have that and I'll match that with cash for the you Son," said the old man, tilting his chin at Edger.

"Oh! uh...I guess that's fine," said Renee, taken aback slightly. That was... technically her getting paid the same amount for what would theoretically be half as much work.

"You're goddamn right it's fine!" Snapped the old man. "Now let's get going all ready! I won't those little bastards dead before sundown!" he said, taking off at a brisk pace towards the empty lot that the man had mentioned in his initial message.

Edger, initially taken aback by the unexpected turn of events and the old man's blunt resolution, quickly masked his surprise with a practiced smile. The abruptness of the client's decision, while not entirely conventional, was a solution that Edger could live with. The proposition to work together, albeit under the guise of splitting the job due to an app glitch, was an interesting one. It wasn't every day that he got to see someone choose a shovel as their weapon of choice against demons, and the novelty was not lost on him.

He glanced at Renee, noting the mix of defensiveness and uncertainty that played across her face. It was clear she was passionate about whatever goals she had set for herself. Edgar couldn't help but find a certain respect for her dedication, however foreign the context might be to him.

"All right then, it sounds like a plan," Edger said, directing his attention to the old man with a nod. "We'll make sure those demons won't bother you any longer." Turning back to Renee, he offered a reassuring smile. "And don't worry about the runts; we'll serve 'em up "kabob style" for ya'," he added, lifting the sai slightly to indicate his weapon of choice. His tone was friendly, aiming to bridge the gap between their initial misunderstanding.

As the old man set off with surprising speed towards the lot, Edger followed, adjusting weapon. The mention of working solo being akin to a death sentence in the old man's days struck a chord with him. "Looks like we're partners for this gig," he said to Renee, keeping his voice light as they walked. "Let's show these runts what we're made of." Despite the bizarre circumstances that had led to this temporary alliance, Edger felt a familiar thrill. The prospect of facing down the demonic threat, alongside an unlikely partner, only added to the day's unpredictabilityโ€”a reminder of why he had chosen this path in the first place.

Last edited:
"I guess so," said Renee, a bit more doubtfully as she settled her shovel more comfortably on her shoulder and followed after the old man. The whole retirement village was surrounded by a tan, stucco wall, but the old man lead them to a chain link gate that split the structure in two. The gate was secured by a heavy chain and padlock but the old timer pulled a key out of his pocket and unlocked it without any trouble.

The same company that runs this place actually owns the lot as well," said the old man, pushing the gate open and striding out into an overgrown field of grass dotted by rudimentary, concrete pillars. "They were planning to add on some 'leisure center' or some crap but I guess the funding fell through and they've basically let it sit empty ever since," he said, with a derisive sniff. "Whole lot is overrun with mice, which attracts snakes which is one thing but lately there haven't been any snakes around which means runts are eating all the snakes. I tried to get the shiftless bastards to do something about it but they said it wasn't technically one of their obligations so they've just let em run rampant for the last month or so,"

Renee made a face. Most people called a SLAYR or someone else in way sooner than a month. The world had gotten used to dealing with demons with frankly shocking alacrity, but that didn't make anyone wanted them in their house or anything. If this pack had been out here for a month with ready access to food...

The old man caught her expression and nodded. "Ayup, I expect they'll be on the larger size,' he said cheerfully. "Course that's your problem now. I'm heading back to keep working my little project, you kids have fun!" he said, sauntering back the way he'd come and closing the gate behind him. "Come swing by when you're done and I'll pay you out. Make sure you lock the gate back up on your way in!"

Renee watched the old man disappear, seemingly in a much better mood than before, then she glanced uncertainly at Edger. Then Renee swept her gaze across the empty lot, taking in spiky, shin length grass and the forlorn remnants of abandoned construction. There wasn't really enough for Renee to judge the accuracy of the man's assertion that this was intended to be a leisure centre or whatever. There was a big, rectangular slab of concrete that would have been the foundation and a few scattered pillars of the same material that would have been supports for walls properly. All of the pillars had been worn rugged by the elements and were no longer smooth and here and there rusty, iron supports poked out of them like curious worms.

"I guess we should come up with a plan or something?" Renee asked, looking at the big guy she'd been 'partnered up' with. "Or at least make sure we won't step on each other's toes or something,"

Edger surveyed the overgrown lot with the discerning eye of someone who had seen his fair share of ambush spots and demon dens. The old man's casual departure, coupled with his cheerful offloading of the problem onto them, did little to deter Edger's focus. Instead, it underscored the seriousness of their task. The mention of the runts potentially being larger due to a month of unchecked feeding piqued his interest and heightened his alertness. Demons, especially those that had been allowed to grow and hunt freely, could be unpredictable and significantly more dangerous.

Turning to Renee, Edger nodded in agreement with her suggestion. "A plan is a good idea," he said, his voice calm and steady. "Given the terrain and the potential size of the runts, we should prioritize visibility and mobility. The tall grass and those concrete pillars could be used to their advantage for ambushes. We'll need to be careful not to get separated or cornered."

He paused for a moment, formulating a strategy that would play to their strengths while minimizing their vulnerabilities. "I suggest we stick together, moving slowly to avoid startling them into a full pack attack. If we can, let's try to draw them out one by one or in small groups. My weapon is best in close quarters, so I'll take the lead in direct engagements. Your shovel," he glanced at the implement with a newfound respect, "has a longer reach and could be great for keeping them at bay or dealing with any that try to flank us."

Edger's plan also accounted for the unpredictable nature of runts. "If they do swarm us, we should back-to-back. That way, we can cover each other's blind spots. And," he added, his tone slightly more serious, "if things get too hairy, we prioritize getting out and regrouping. No heroics. We're here to clear them out, but we can't do that if we're overwhelmed."

His gaze met Renee's, seeking to affirm their temporary partnership with a nod of solidarity. "Does that work for you? If you have any ideas or concerns, now's the time to share them. We need to be on the same page if we're going to get through this." Edger's approach was methodical, a reflection of his belief in preparation and adaptability. Despite the unforeseen partnership, he was determined to ensure that they both emerged from this task successfullyโ€”and in one piece.

"Hrrmm, if we want to lure them out I usually use something like this," Renee said, mollified somewhat by the approval of her obviously optimal weapon. Renee dug into one of the pockets of her olive jacket and pulled out a small, foil packet.

Greasy Steve's Discount Jerky read the lettering on the slightly crumpled packet, surrounding a cartoon portrait of a man with a patchy beard.

"This stuff tastes foul," Renee said by way of explanation "But it also smells really strongly and runts seem to like it. If we set it up somewhere in the open the wind should pick up the scent and blow it one direction. The runts downwind will be attracted but any upwind will take longer to pick it up," Renee said. This was actually a bit different from how Renee normally used this stuff so she was kind of improvising a bit. Most of Renee's hunts took place indoors, most people only bothered to call a SLAYR when there was a demon on their own property after all and that usually meant somebody's house or a business of some kind. Indoors wind wasn't a factor but the jerky was still good for luring runts out of little hidey holes in the walls and such. But Renee had vague notions of hunters talking about staying downwind of animals and runts did generally have a pretty strong sense of smell.

"If we set up on top of the concrete slab we'll have clearer sight lines too," Renee said, tucking the jerky packet away for now and leading the way towards the barren foundation. "They won't have the grass for cover,"

Unhurriedly Renee lead the way towards the concrete, moving cautiously and occasionally poking at suspicious mounds or dips in the terrain. With the grass this high a runt could easily be hiding in burrows or other terrain features very easily and, honestly, it would be just as bad if they weren't careful and stepped on a totally ordinary snake. At least runts weren't venomous, usually. In this manner the two demon hunters made their way onto the concrete slowly, but safely and eventually Renee was standing roughly in the middle of it, carefully tearing open the packet of beef jerky and placing it on the ground.

"Get ready," Renee said tersely, unshouldering her shovel and widening her stance to be combat ready. "You watch downwind and I'll keep an eye on our flanks in case the wind changes, like you said,"

Edger watched Renee pull out the packet of Greasy Steve's Discount Jerky with a mix of curiosity and skepticism. When she explained its use, his skepticism shifted towards a begrudging respect for her ingenuity. It was a simple, yet potentially effective way to draw out the runts, utilizing their keen sense of smell to their disadvantage. Edgar nodded, impressed by the thoughtfulness behind the tactic, even if the choice of bait was less than appetizing.

As Renee proposed setting up on the concrete slab, Edger agreed with the logic. The elevation and open space would indeed provide them with better visibility and less cover for the runts, turning the terrain to their advantage. He followed her lead towards the slab, his senses heightened for any sign of the demons or other potential dangers hidden in the overgrown grass.

Once they were safely positioned and Renee had set the jerky down, Edger adjusted his grip on his sai, his stance mirroring Renee's readiness. The mention of watching downwind was a good call, aligning with their strategy to manage the direction from which the runts were most likely to approach. Edger positioned himself accordingly, ensuring he had a clear view of the area Renee indicated, while also keeping himself prepared to pivot and support her should the need arise.

"Alright," Edger responded, his voice steady and focused. "I'm ready, beannie girl! Let's do this thing!" Despite the unorthodox nature of their partnership and the seemingly makeshift plan, Edgar felt a surge of confidence. There was something about facing down a challenge, especially one as unpredictable as a pack of runts, that ignited a familiar thrill within him.

The combination of Renee's local knowledge and his own combat experience could very well be the edge they needed. As they waited for the runts to take the bait, Edger allowed himself a moment to appreciate the unexpected camaraderie of the situation. Here, on this deserted lot, standing beside a shovel-wielding teenager (he thinks) with a packet of foul-smelling jerky as their lure, Edger was reminded that the world of demon hunting was full of surprises. And perhaps, just maybe, that was part of its allure.

There was a tense minute or so of waiting and then from somewhere ahead of Edger there came a rustling noise. The grass shook and then suddenly parted, revealing a squat, hairless creature with ruddy, brown skin and a mouth full of misshapen but sharp teeth. The runt sniffed loudly at the air with a puggish, flattened nose and a strand of milky drool dripped from its open mouth.

"Hey," said Renee in a low voice, just in case Edger had somehow missed the creature's arrival. That was probably impossible though because immediately after the creature narrowed its beady eyes and seemed to lock on to both the jerky and the man standing guard over the meaty bounty. The runt gave a surprisingly bassy growl for such a small creature and then charged straight at Edger, revealing its full form as it existed the cover of the long grass.

The Runt was forward heavy, with an oversized head and mouth and bulging forelimbs with wide shoulders, while its lower body tapered in towards a stubby, skinny tail. The runt's lopsided body didn't seem to impede its motion however, it charged at Edger with a swift, bounding gait like a tiny, chargin gorilla and when it was within striking range it launched itself at Edger with its mouth wide open to try and take a bite out of his midsection!

As the runt launched itself towards Edger, his instincts kicked inโ€”a honed reflex from countless encounters with the unpredictable and the dangerous. Without a second thought, he lifted his knee sharply, meeting the creature's face mid-leap. The impact sent the runt recoiling, its attack momentarily thwarted, but Edgar knew well that runts were persistent, and this brief reprieve would not last long.

Seizing the moment, Edger shifted his stance, the weight of his experience grounding him. The creature, now momentarily dazed from the knee to its face, offered a critical opening. Edgar didn't hesitate. With the runt's attack momentarily stalled, he swung his sai, aiming for a swift, decisive strike to incapacitate the creature without prolonged suffering. By slicing it the runt's head in half long ways, with its blackened blood spraying out from the opened scalp and on to the green gras they stood in.

The quick engagement was a stark reminder of the constant vigilance required in his line of work. As the runt fell, Edger remained alert, scanning the area for any more of the creatures that might have been drawn by the scent of the jerky or the commotion of their skirmish. He knew that where there was one runt, there were often more, hiding just out of sight, waiting for an opportunity.

"Stay sharp," Edger called out to Renee, his voice low but firm, reinforcing their need to be prepared for additional attacks. The initial encounter had gone in their favor, but Edger was well aware that the battle was not over. With each breath, he readied himself for the next wave, the adrenaline a steady hum in his veins, a silent testament to the dangers of their work and the resolve it demanded.

Last edited:
It was strange to see a demon and not immediately try and eliminate it, but Renee had promised she would keep an eye out on the flanks, so she hung back and trusted her impromptu partner to handle it. If this guy messed up Renee could always smack the runt while it was busy eating him anyways. That didn't happen though, Edgar had the matter well in hand and shortly thereafter Renee's vigilance was rewarded by an angry buzzing noise.

The buzzing noise intensified as a shape sprung up from the grass and cut a looping, crescent path through the air around one of the pillars. A flier! Renee hated fliers, they weren't common but they were hard to chase down. Fliers had a nasty habit of going for the face too, Renee had just enough time to take note of the creature's beetle like wings and oddly serpentine body before it tried to exactly that to her. Leveraging all the strength and precision two months of junior high softball practice had bestowed on her Renee swung and the head of her trenching shovel connected with a satisfying thwack.

The flier ricocheted hard, hurtling over Edger's should and landing near the edge of the concrete,rolling until it came to a halt near the black stain of blood from the other runt. Renee watched warily, but the crumpled form of the flier didn't stir.

"There have to be more than two," said Renee warily, sweeping her gaze over the grass covered lot, but even after a tense few minutes of waiting, no more runts emerged. Renee frowned. "It should be a pretty big pack if they've been hunting here for weeks. I wonder if-"

Whatever Renee was going to say died on her lips as the ground underneath the dead flier suddenly split open and a saurian maw snapped shut on the corpse, swallowing it whole. The third runt hauled itself free from the loose earth with stubby, but thick legs and launched itself forwards to snatch up the corpse of the first runt that Edger had taken care of, even as the black blood from its previous kill dripped down to the earth from between its knife-like incisors.

"I think that must be the alpha," said Renee, taking an involuntary step backwards. "Did it eat the rest of its pack too?" she asked. For some reason that idea seemed to nag at Renee, as if reminding her of some factoid that she was struggling to recall in the heat of the moment.

Edger, still processing the swift defeat of the first runt, pivoted sharply at Renee's warning, only to see the aftermath of her own successful defense against the flier. The teamwork was unfolding better than he'd dared hope, with each covering angles the other couldn't. But the sight of the third runt, significantly larger and evidently more cunning than its predecessors, instantly shifted the dynamic of the hunt. This was no ordinary runt; its actions spoke of a brutal intelligence and a hierarchy that demanded it be recognized as the alpha of this forsaken lot.

As the alpha devoured the remains of its pack mate, a cold realization washed over Edger. This wasn't just an alpha; it was a potential brute-in-the-making, one that had likely cannibalized its pack to fuel its own growth, a behavior pattern echoing the grim evolution toward becoming a brute. The very notion sent a ripple of urgency through Edger's spine. The stakes had suddenly escalated; this wasn't a routine clear-out anymore.

Edger took a step forward, his grip on his sai tightening reflexively. "Don't panic, beannie girl," he called out, his voice a low growl of determination. "This one's different. It's smarter, more dangerous! We need to take it down together!"

Renee swallowed thickly as she watched the alpha runt finish off its meal and let out a triumphant screech.

"Is- is it getting bigger?" Renee asked, watching with sick fascination as the demon's muscles bulged and its limbs lengthened. The demon's tail flicked back and forth furiously as spikes of keratin extended upwards from the ridges along its spine and its posture shifted, becoming more agile and lithe. What stood before the two hunters now was roughly the size and shape of a large dog, albeit with leathery, scaled skin and the triangular head of a lizard or crocodile.

"Okay! Okay we can do this!" Renee said, huffing out a breath and tightening her grip on her shovel. "WE just need a pl-"

Before she could finish the sentence the newly evolved brute exploded into motion. The brute sprinted forwards, banking around Edger and making a beeline straight for Renee, perhaps judging that she was the weaker link due to her smaller size. Renee braced herself and brought her shovel up to block but when the creature launched itself at her with a powerful leap she was still bowled over backwards by its sheer weight and momentum.

Renee felt her back slam into the concrete, nearly knocking the wind out of her and just barely avoiding dashing her head against the solid ground at the same time. The brute on top of Renee snapped at her face, barely held at bay thanks to the shovel Renee pushed up against its thick neck with all her strength. Still the brute's fetid breath washed over Renee like a rolling bank of fog, smelling of tar, sulphur and rotting meat.

"Help!" Renee managed to get out, even as the creature reared back to try and get around her shovel. Seizing the moment, Renee drew the haft of the shovel in towards her chest and then, as the brute lunged forwards again with its mouth open she shoved her barrier forwards, lodging it lengthwise between the creature's jaws!

In the split-second that Renee was bowled over, Edger's adrenaline surged to new heights. The brute's rapid evolution and its subsequent charge at Renee underscored the unpredictability and danger they faced. It wasn't just about defeating the demon anymore; it was about saving his makeshift partner, who was now perilously close to becoming its next meal.

With no time to waste, Edger lunged forward, his movements fueled by a singular focus. The sight of Renee pinned under the brute, fighting desperately to keep its gnashing jaws at bay, ignited a fierce determination within him. He couldn't let her down; failure was not an option. No one gets paid to fail.

As Renee cleverly maneuvered the shovel into the brute's mouth, Edger saw his opening. The brute was momentarily distracted, its lethal bite neutralized by the shovel lodged between its jaws. Edger seized the moment, channeling all his force and momentum into a decisive strike aimed at the most vulnerable spot he could find.

With precision and speed, Edger thrust his sai forward, targeting the underbelly of the brute where the scales met softer flesh. The aim was to pierce the creature's heart or, at the very least, inflict a wound severe enough to incapacitate it. His other hand was already moving to strike a secondary target, ensuring that if the first blow didn't end the fight, the follow-up would.

"Push, Beanie Girl, push!" Edger shouted, timing his words with his attack. The idea was to synchronize their effortsโ€”Renee's push to dislodge the brute and expose it further, and Edger's strike to deliver the fatal blow. Teamwork, once again, was their best bet against the monstrosity that threatened them.

As Edger executed his attack, every muscle in his body tensed, prepared for the brute's counterattack or its last desperate attempt to fight back. His mind was clear, focused entirely on the task at hand. This was the moment that defined a demon hunterโ€”not the victories or the accolades, but the willingness to stand in the face of danger and protect those who fought alongside them.

The outcome of his attack, whether a triumphant kill or a struggle for survival, would be determined in the next heartbeat. But regardless of the result, Edger knew he had done everything within his power to face the threat head-on, even if he'd be dying with no pay. With any luck, whatever they they do get could go towards their funerals. That's a nice thought.

"My name's not Beanie girl!" Renee ground out, tucking her knees into her stomach so she could push up with her legs and feet. "It's!..Renee!" she said, kicking upwards and angling the Brute up be just a few centimetres as Edger struk with his sai.

The blade of the said sunk deeply into the flank of the creature, but instead of hitting something vital it seemed to scrape off a rib of some kind and was deflected down away from the organs. It still must have been a painful wound because the brute let out a furious howl and twisted with like an eel to turn on Edger with lightning speed. The brute reared up on two feet, trying to crash down on Edger with open jaws to take a massive bite out of his shoulders, ignoring his follow-up attack in its haste to exact revenge.

Renee blinked and rolled forwards uncontrollably for a moment, but when she realised what was happening she surged up behind the brute to try and help. In such close quarters there was no time to try and work her long shovel into the right position to attack with, so Renee let it slide off her stomach and clatter to the ground as she wrapped her arms around the Brute's back hips in a bearhug and dug two fingers into the open wound Edger had left behind to tug and tear at it.

"I'll be sure to remember that once we survive!" Edger exclaims. As the brute reared up, aiming to crash down upon him with a ferocity that promised severe injury, Edger's training in close-quarters combat flashed through his mind. The brute's sudden shift in focus provided him a critical opening, one he couldn't afford to waste.

Instead of retreating, Edger leaned into the attack, stepping closer into the brute's personal space to minimize the effectiveness of its powerful jaws. The beast's momentum, intended to overpower Edger, instead became a vulnerability. As the brute descended, Edgar used his lower position to his advantage, ducking to the side while thrusting his sai upwards in a sharp, precise motion aimed at the brute's underbelly. This area, less protected by the brute's keratin spikes, presented a rare opportunity for a critical strike.

The brute's howl of pain echoed through the lot as Edegr's sai found its mark, the blade biting deep into flesh. The creature's weight and momentum, coupled with the unexpected resistance from Renee's brave intervention, threw its attack into disarray. Renee's actions, tearing at the wound Edger had inflicted, only added to the brute's torment and confusion, creating a potent, if desperate, combination of offense and defense.

Edger, recognizing Renee's quick thinking and courage, didn't waste the opportunity she provided. With the brute momentarily destabilized by pain and the assault on its wound, Edgar withdrew his sai and repositioned for another strike. This time, he aimed for the base of the brute's skull, where the spine met the headโ€”an area critical for motor function and control.

The brute, caught in the throes of pain and thwarted in its attack by the concerted resistance of the two hunters, found itself unable to properly defend against Edger's calculated strike. The blade of the sai, driven by Edger's precise force and the leverage of his advantageous position, sought to end the threat the brute posed once and for all.

The blade of the said punched through the comparatively fragile bones of the brute's neck and the demon stiffened suddenly as life drained from its body. No longer supporting its own weight, the demon fell backwards and Renee had to throw herself to the side with a squeak of alarm to avoid being stabbed by the sharp spikes rising up from its spine.

Half sprawled on the ground, Renee started warily at the immobile brute, panting lightly as adrenaline began to slowly drain from her system. The brute shifted slightly and Renee scrabbled forwards on hands and knees to recover her shovel, but it was just gravity pulling the demon's limbs down out of the awkward posture it had landed in. The brute was dead.

"W-we did it!" Renee gasped, gawking at the dead brute. "We actually killed a brute!" Renee said, pulling her phone out quickly to snap a picture. "I bet we can get SLAYR to bump up our pay to cover the change in grade. Brutes are worth more but they won't upcharge the client by surpr- dammit!"

Renee stared down at her phone in dismay, the display was now covered in the tar thick, black demon blood that she'd gotten all over her hand when she shoved her fingers into the demon's wound. "Gross," said Renee unhappily, wiping her hand and then her phone on the nearby grass. "I can't believe I did that,"

Edger, catching his breath after the intense clash, couldn't help but let out a relieved chuckle at Renee's mix of triumph and dismay. He watched her struggle with the demon blood on her phone, the gravity of their victory sinking in. "We did more than just kill a brute," he said, stepping closer, his voice carrying a mix of pride and jest. "We survived a team-building exercise from hell."

He knelt down beside Renee, offering a handkerchief from his pocketโ€”though, given the situation, it was more a symbolic gesture than a practical solution. "Here, though I doubt it'll be much help against demon tar. You might need something stronger than grass to clean that off."

Glancing at the brute's lifeless form, Edger shook his head in disbelief. "You know, most people just get a group photo at the end of a successful team project. We get a dead brute. And trust me, SLAYR's customer service is more frightening than any demon we've faced today. But you're right; they should definitely bump our pay for this."

He stood up, extending a hand to help Renee to her feet. "Next time you plan on sticking your hand in a demon wound, maybe give me a heads-up. I could've at least gotten you a glove or something." His tone was light, teasing, the camaraderie of the battle still fresh.

"Let's get out of here and see about getting that pay raise. And maybe a tetanus shot for you." Edger's smile was wry, his gaze moving from Renee to the gate they had entered through. "After all, we've got a gate to lock up, and I'm pretty sure 'demon exterminators extraordinaire' is a title we've just earned. Just... try not to touch your phone too much until we get that cleaned up, yeah?"

As they made their way back, Edger couldn't help but feel a sense of accomplishment. Today had been unexpected in every sense, but standing side by side with Renee, he felt they had not only conquered a physical challenge but had also built an unlikely partnership in the most extreme of circumstances.

"Thanks," said Renee, gingerly taking the handkerchief and making a valiant attempt at cleaning her hand and phone. "I'd offer to clean this and get it back to you but uh..." Renee gestured limply with the now very black and sticky handkerchief. "It might be better if I just buy you a new one. I don't think demons can get tetanus though, so there's that at least,"

"They can't, demon blood's too caustic for most bacteria to survive in, so they don't really ever get sick," said a familiar voice from the other side of the gate. The old man was waiting for them, resting against the inner side of the wall with his hands in his pockets and his legs casually crossed at the ankles. "You really will wanna wipe that off by the way," he said, looking pointedly at Renee, who yelped and redoubled her efforts with the handkerchief

The old man scratched his nose. "Came over to see what was taking you so long and I find you playing around with one brute!"

"Playing around!?" Renee sputtered. "Did you see the size of that thing? It nearly killed us!" Honestly wasn't this a bit much? Why did this old geezer think he could kick back in his house and then come out and start playing Monday morning quarterback!? Customers really were the worst!

"Exactly!" retorted the old man, folding his arms over his wiry chest. "So why in the Hell were you wrestling with the damn thing instead of using your aura to finish it off properly!?"

Renee blinked. "Aura?" she asked, uncertainly. Was this old guy actually some kind of woo-woo hippie type? Was he about to start telling them about the healing properties of vibrating crystals as well. Renee glanced over at Edger to see if he knew what the old man was talking about.

Edger, momentarily taken aback by the old man's mention of aura, exchanged a glance with Renee, his expression one of mild amusement mixed with a hint of respect for the man's knowledge. "Well, you see," Edger began, adopting a tone that suggested he was treading the line between educating and not wanting to sound too patronizing, "aura isn't just some new age concept. It's a real, tangible force for those of us in the demon hunting business. But it's not something you can just whip out without the proper training and understanding. Not everyone's got the knack for it."

He shrugged slightly, acknowledging the old man's point while also defending their approach to the battle. "Besides, we managed pretty well with what we had," he continued, gesturing to the brute's lifeless form. "And Rey here," he nodded towards her with a smile, "showed some quick thinking that no amount of aura manipulation could replace. Sometimes, it's about using the tools you're most comfortable with."

Turning back to the old man, Edger's curiosity piqued. "Though, I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised to hear you talk about aura. Not many outside the demon hunting circles are familiar with it, let alone understand its importance in combat." His tone was genuinely intrigued, recognizing the depth of the man's knowledge might extend beyond what one would expect from a civilian.

"Anyway," Edger said, shifting the subject back to the matter at hand and the reason they were all standing there, "I believe we've dealt with your demon problem. And possibly learned a thing or two in the process." His gaze flickered between Renee and the old man, acknowledging the unusual yet successful partnership they'd formed and the unexpected lessons that had come with it.

"About that handkerchief," Edgar added, turning to Renee with a playful smirk, "don't worry about it. Consider it a souvenir from our little adventure. Just maybe don't use it as a face mask anytime soon." His comment was light-hearted, aiming to ease any lingering tension and bring a sense of closure to their ordeal.

"Hhmmph, I guess you did," said the old man grudgingly, pulling out a wad of bills from his pocket and counting out several to hand over to Edger.

Renee was still thinking about this so called "aura" thing, but she perked up when the old man produced a slightly battered smartphone to authorise her payment. However Renee's enthusiasm wanted a bit when he jabbed ineffectually at the screen several times and began to scowl.

"Now why's it- No that's not what I wanted!" Muttered the old man. "Gah! Stupid piece'a-"

Renee exhaled, her expression turning flat. "Here," she said, sidling up beside the man and leaning over his shoulder to point at the screen. "You need to swipe here...and then hit that button...and then for the change in danger grade you go over to that menu, I'll upload the photo of the brute on my end. Oh and make sure you rate five stars-"

"Hey I didn't agree to anything about that-" protested the old man, Renee simply held up her demon blood covered hand and wiggled the fingers at him. "-But I guess you two did okay for rookies- bah whatever-"

The old man tapped a few more times and then Renee's phone beeped out a muffled notification from her pocket, alerting her to a received payment. Renee pulled out her phone just to be sure.

"Thank you for your business sir!" said Renee sweetly, with a wide smile. The old man rolled his eyes.

"Name's Clint, not 'Sir," he said. "Clint Warren. Do kids these days still have actual phone numbers? Cause I might have some more work for you two down the line. I'm done with all this over-designed tech crap though. I'll pay cash in hand for good work. You might even learn a few more things,"

Renee thought about it for a moment. On the one hand her mother probably wouldn't be thrilled to hear that Renee was giving out her number to strange old men. On the other hand Clint seemed pretty harmless. If worst came to worst Renee was pretty sure she could outrun him and the prospect of getting side gigs that the SLAYR app wouldn't be taking a cut of was pretty appetising. Renee decided to hedge her bets.

"I'm in if you're in," she said, turning to Edger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back