• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Slayers - OOC

Characters
Here

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
Planning, chatting, shitposting, scheming, joking, questions, feedback.

Hey, hey! I'm gonna read the manual you have provided in-depth eventually, but: which sections would you recommend for us to read first? As in, what is needed to create a character that would work in your universe?

After all, it's a long read and knowing where to start/which parts I shouldn't leave out when making my character would help. (Hoping I'm not outing myself as a lazy player, lmao. I'm just selling my soul to CapitalismTM, have limited time due to that and want to use it effectively :) )

I hear you loud and clear, fellow worker.
I'll compile a wee list for everyone here of I guess the minimums you might need.

For everyone, Chapter 2 is worth reading to understand the rules but you'll probably learn more in playing so as long as you can make it through character creation you'll be fine, and also you can ask me whip up your sheet if you get stuck.

For most Slayer archetypes, Chapter 1 is enough; Vagrant, Inquisitor, Alchemist, Bloodhunter, and even Monk.
For Spiritseers, see Chapter 9.
I also included a link in the character creation thread specifically for Monks since they tend to be outsiders more concerned with their own theology.

Of course, you can and should ask me literally any question so I can fill in blanks, clarify, or point you at pages.
I think I also have some example characters, ready to play, around here somewhere...
Here we go!

Since you may notice some cross-referencing in those documents; those characters were written as pre-gens for a convention a few years back.
The ones in the first file were generally found to be easier for newbies to grasp, while the monks and Spiritseer were generally considered too weird for most players.
Lanaya and Fang got cut pretty early for that reason but I kept them around for some regular fans I knew would appreciate them.

Equusheart Equusheart PatriasLover PatriasLover Walnutt Walnutt Jorkint Jorkint Syntra Syntra

Just tagging you all to make sure you've seen this. Feel free to post some rough character concepts or at least name your preferred archetype.
Overlaps are fine. I once challenged a group of players to make all-Vagrants and got a really fun, inventive mix, so don't worry if you're not the only instance in the party.
That said, multiple Inquisitors can get weird.

Oh! So Spiritseers are more than just necromancer then?

Remarkably few are necromancers.
Spirits and Ghosts are, metaphysically, very different entities.
Spiritseers can't interact with ghosts, usually, but they can also mess with Spirits.
Spirits are basically little gods of objects, places, ideas... A bonfire can create a small Flame Spirit, which fades away when the fire does. But keep the bonfire lite for months? Years? Make it sacred?
Now there's a tiny little god there. And if one day it gets pissed off and causes trouble, and no one can appease it, a Spiritseer can come devour it.

So a Spiritseer might get necromantic powers by absorbing a Death Spirit. Or some other Spirit which could be argued to imbue corpses with life, or let them speak with ghosts.

Remarkably few are necromancers.
Spirits and Ghosts are, metaphysically, very different entities.
Spiritseers can't interact with ghosts, usually, but they can also mess with Spirits.
Spirits are basically little gods of objects, places, ideas... A bonfire can create a small Flame Spirit, which fades away when the fire does. But keep the bonfire lite for months? Years? Make it sacred?
Now there's a tiny little god there. And if one day it gets pissed off and causes trouble, and no one can appease it, a Spiritseer can come devour it.

So a Spiritseer might get necromantic powers by absorbing a Death Spirit. Or some other Spirit which could be argued to imbue corpses with life, or let them speak with ghosts.
Oh this opens up so many ideas. I will happily take this role if it's not claimed. **runs off to read and plot**

Indeed, you can have followed very different paths to wind up in the distant north.
Alternatively, rival students to the same mentor.
Or students of rival mentors.
Or just two exiles made friends by necessity.

Indeed, you can have followed very different paths to wind up in the distant north.
Alternatively, rival students to the same mentor.
Or students of rival mentors.
Or just two exiles made friends by necessity.

Ooh, yeah, all of those options sound very fun!

Equusheart Equusheart

If you want to, I'm very open to working on a shared backstory :) Either here or in the PMs, I don't really care.

**wakes up and looks at thread**

Syntra Syntra Grey Grey Oh those ideas sound interesting. What about not twins, but two that just happened to be born at the exact same time? We could always go over other ideas as well if we want :)

Unlikely to be passed down, but the odds of finding one are exactly as good as we need them to be.
You may find them near sites of mass death, burial grounds, murder scenes, isolated shrines to death...

**wakes up and looks at thread**

Syntra Syntra Grey Grey Oh those ideas sound interesting. What about not twins, but two that just happened to be born at the exact same time? We could always go over other ideas as well if we want :)
Interesting! I'm down with pretty much anything, really. Would you like for our characters to be rivals or allies? I don't think our dynamic should be too antagonistic if we are to cooperate, but I'm okay with like, banter and/or some mild trust issues.

I'm def gonna stick with monk! Gonna read the lore and backstory of her later tonight after work ^^

Syntra Syntra So I've been simmering on this all day at work and I think I've got a basic idea of what I want to do for my character. The darker themes are tugging at me! Lol. I'll fill you in more when I get home. I definitely like the idea of our characters being best friends.

Actually, nevermind. I started to read a little bit more on Spiritseers and it kinda shattered what I was originally thinking :(

Oh no! How'd that happen? What might you do instead?
I don't know. It just kinda poked holes in my idea the more I read. I think my brain kept latching on to Spirits = Ghosts for some reason. Though I do have a new idea about making my character from Rainwalker tribe or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back