News Site Rules Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Salt Lord]*raises hand* I have a question about the advertising thing. What if a new user comes to RPN looking for... I dunno... erotic roleplays but they find out they aren't allowed? Could I not send them to a site where erotic stuff is allowed in a PM?

[/QUOTE]
what worries me is there is a word for something like that... Why is there such a thing as erotic content!? D:

ferociousfeind said:
what worries me is there is a word for something like that... Why is there such a thing as erotic content!? D:
When a mommy internet dweller and a daddy internet dweller have nothing to do with their spare time...

[QUOTE="Salt Lord]*raises hand* I have a question about the advertising thing. What if a new user comes to RPN looking for... I dunno... erotic roleplays but they find out they aren't allowed? Could I not send them to a site where erotic stuff is allowed in a PM?

[/QUOTE]
Nope. Part of the whole reason why we don't allow off-site advertising is to specifically avoid that. There's no way of telling for a fact how old someone is on the internet, so while someone may claim to be an adult, they could really just be some eleven-year-old putting in a random age so they can join. Then at that point, we're liable for ever letting them go to that other site to, essentially, break federal law.

Pine said:
Nope. Part of the whole reason why we don't allow off-site advertising is to specifically avoid that. There's no way of telling for a fact how old someone is on the internet, so while someone may claim to be an adult, they could really just be some eleven-year-old putting in a random age so they can join. Then at that point, we're liable for ever letting them go to that other site to, essentially, break federal law.
I thought it was because RPN was hungry for more members and didn't want to lose anyone to another site. :o

But it makes a lot more sense now. Thank you.

[QUOTE="Salt Lord]I thought it was because RPN was hungry for more members and didn't want to lose anyone to another site. :o

[/QUOTE]
i mean we do love all of you and none of you are allowed to leave we would hate to see someone go but this is another reason (since the no off-site advertising rule extends beyond roleplaying sites sometimes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Admins

Not to be that guy, but can't help but be that guy...sorry. Since the revision is in I have to ask, whose definition of immoral are we using? I get illegal, and the stuff listed was indeed illegal in many places, no problem. But immoral? Are you using Relativism, Kantian ethics, Utilitarianism, Care/ Feminist ethics, or another school to determine what is an is not immoral? I can guarantee you I could pose some moral dilemmas here and get several answers as to the "moral" outcome. There are some things many of us might agree are immoral, then again if you are using Relativism and depending on a persons culture, maybe not so much. I understand what you are trying to achieve--but that is a very slippery slope indeed. Your site, so do as you will---but I urge you to give this one some deep though before responding with a canned answer, and if you have given it a lot of thought I implore you to do so once again for the sake of everyone here. Unless one is an absolutist,or in perhaps a Kantian, there are rarely clearly defined standards that can cover everything when it comes to morality. Unlike the law which tends to be far more well defined (exceptions apply of course).

Perhaps to make your as the admins more clear to me if you could offer 2-3 examples of things which you would consider immoral (and thus banned form the site) but not illegal? With the full understanding that said examples would not be comprehensive.

Sorry guys I'm compulsive and can be quite exacting about the definitions of words (I am human and fail at this all the time, however) so that is why I ask all this. Again I hate to stir this up, while I know you must comply with the law, morality is a very personal thing to me and when someone tries to control what I can and can't do morally as opposed to legally I get very wary.

In any case that is my two cents, which is, as always, worth about a nickel less than face value.

So another question about advertising.

If I were to like talking to someone a lot and wanted to move on to a different form of communication, so we could video chat or bounce ideas of each other in Google Docs, I can't do that?

IthacaAlexandria said:
If I were to like talking to someone a lot and wanted to move on to a different form of communication, so we could video chat or bounce ideas of each other in Google Docs, I can't do that?
That's perfectly fine! :D We do allow users to put things like their Skype on their profiles, after all. What we don't allow is sharing e-mails or Skypes with the intent of taking the roleplay off-site or to otherwise get around our site rules.

Pine said:
That's perfectly fine! :D We do allow users to put things like their Skype on their profiles, after all. What we don't allow is sharing e-mails or Skypes with the intent of taking the roleplay off-site or to otherwise get around our site rules.
Oh! Okay, that makes a lot more sense then. Twilight Zone music was playing in the background as I thought about it (They really don't want me to leave... O.o Now, how to get out of here...). Like you just said you let us put things like that on our profile, but then we aren't allowed to talk about it again. xD

Thanks for clearing things up. :D

hellrazoromega said:
Dear Admins
Not to be that guy, but can't help but be that guy...sorry. Since the revision is in I have to ask, whose definition of immoral are we using? I get illegal, and the stuff listed was indeed illegal in many places, no problem. But immoral? Are you using Relativism, Kantian ethics, Utilitarianism, Care/ Feminist ethics, or another school to determine what is an is not immoral? I can guarantee you I could pose some moral dilemmas here and get several answers as to the "moral" outcome. There are some things many of us might agree are immoral, then again if you are using Relativism and depending on a persons culture, maybe not so much. I understand what you are trying to achieve--but that is a very slippery slope indeed. Your site, so do as you will---but I urge you to give this one some deep though before responding with a canned answer, and if you have given it a lot of thought I implore you to do so once again for the sake of everyone here. Unless one is an absolutist,or in perhaps a Kantian, there are rarely clearly defined standards that can cover everything when it comes to morality. Unlike the law which tends to be far more well defined (exceptions apply of course).

Perhaps to make your as the admins more clear to me if you could offer 2-3 examples of things which you would consider immoral (and thus banned form the site) but not illegal? With the full understanding that said examples would not be comprehensive.

Sorry guys I'm compulsive and can be quite exacting about the definitions of words (I am human and fail at this all the time, however) so that is why I ask all this. Again I hate to stir this up, while I know you must comply with the law, morality is a very personal thing to me and when someone tries to control what I can and can't do morally as opposed to legally I get very wary.

In any case that is my two cents, which is, as always, worth about a nickel less than face value.
I know Im not who you were asking but ascan old staffer that helped word that onevI think I can stand to offer a small form of an answer for you.

Immoral was originally used to cover thevidea that while something may be illegal in the States it may not be in other countries. RpN has a diverse cast of members and the idea had been presented before so it was added as a clarification. While say the use of a recreational drug might be legal in Bulgaria, it could very well be illegal in the States, and as such would fall under immoral.

Hope this helps. Current admins, if Im wrong I apologize.

-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back