Show Me the Actual Ropes

Thysnia

Peanut Butter Bandit
Greetings! Amidst my unsuccessful search for role-play sites dedicated to very specific themes, I seem to have found a collective one that is fairly simple to navigate. I've been hoping to join an active RP community for a long time now, but most that I found were either too complicated to figure out or were simply falling apart.

I've been wanting to role-play mostly to boost my literary engine and provide fresh ideas for the novel I am currently writing. I don't have much drive to sit down and read other novels for inspiration- I'd much rather write! In this I sought an environment to open up a thread relevant to the plot line in my science fiction/fantasy work in progress, in hopes to surmount my incredible lack of muse here lately.

Outside of this obsession over my newest project, I really would enjoy a good role-play in general just for the fun of it. I can get into just about any genre, but those I really dive into are those that follow plots diverting from the mainstream.

Offline, I do have a full time job, a commitment at a local equestrian barn, and a serious relationship that will steal much of my time, but I'm sure most of you are in a similar situation. I always make time for the things that make my often frustrating weeks worthwhile, and literature is no exception!

In order to achieve the hunger I have for good writing, I welcome any and all to shoot their own active role-plays my direction. I will not be able to join every one of them, of course, but I see no better way to get settled here than to jump right in to the thick of the action. In addition, I could use some quick guidance as to what steps I need to take to start my own role-play based on my novel. I would be perfectly willing to post a sample of that in this thread, if it would be helpful in getting the feedback I need.

Thank you to any and all that can help me get into the swing of things here, and I hope to be running with the best of you very soon!

Hey there and welcome to RPN! We do have a lot of people with RL commitments (I have a toddler, husband, full-time job, etc.) so I can assure you- there are several of us! I am also personally a frustrated novelist- because it's so boring writing solo and collaboration is so exciting. I am hopelessly addicted, shhh! Don't tell anyone and maybe they won't notice...

If you haven't already, take a look at the Welcome to RPNation greeting page by one of our admins. It has a lot of links to help you get started and gives you an overview of just about everything you need to know. You can also check out our Questions and Information forum for a list of the rules, staff list, BBcode guide, and the like. There's a lot of great information there and if you ever need to reach users or staff with a particular query, it is definitely the place to go!

BUT since you came here for RP, here's the really important links! ;)

• If you fancy 1x1 Roleplays (private role-plays) there is a recruitment forum right here where you can find your perfect match(es). If you don't see a thread worth responding to, feel free to create your own!
  • For group roleplays (3+ players) we have several places to look! The recruitment forum is here but you can also just peruse the role-plays themselves for the perfect choice. Here you can find the thread RPs (for a singular storyline) sorted by genre. Forum role-plays are used for bigger stories with several plot lines, larger groups, and the dice role-plays.

If you just want to chat about things, feel free to visit the Discussion Forums or visit our chatroom (called the "Shoutbox" on your top menu bar). Once you've made 10 posts, you'll also be able to use the website's Teamspeak, send private messages, alter your signature, and other neat stuff.

And please feel free to let me know if you need anything. =)

Thank you Syrenrei! I'm always paranoid if I don't maintain some level of excitement about it, I'll never finish it. It's nice to know there are experienced writers here I can turn to for critique and advice.

Welcome. If you do share anything in the Creativity Forum, you can expect me to descend on it with a critique* within a matter of hours.

RPN is not responsible for any lasting harm caused by this experience

A warm welcome, Ms Thysnia! I guess apart from the whole equestrian business, and, well, a whole lot of other stuff... the pair of us are quitesimilar in our wanting to write over reading! xD I hope you find the inspiration and muse that you need here, although in all honesty I've found it to be a bit of a double-edged sword. I mean, it was very useful for me for returning to writing after several monthes of doing schoolwork/procrastinating, and around the right people I've felt a steady development. If you can make an RP of a good-writing style with enthusiastic role-players, then it can be a massive boost to writing, and obviously RPing in general is very fun.

Though as a result of dedicating all of my writing here, I've found myself doing very little in the way of independant works, which is bad :( So I'd say to watch out for that. Other than that, I'd love to help you out with any critique/whatever you'd need. At 17 I certainly can't claim to have the level of experience some of the folks here have, but I do have some critiqing experience and I'd love to do some editting/critique again. It also sounds like you have a lot of the same literary interests as I, which is good!

If you still want help on how to make your novel into a good RP, then I'd be more than happy to oblige here :D Other than that, I hope to see you around and may we meetng on the writing-ground some day!

SkyGinge said:
A warm welcome, Ms Thysnia! I guess apart from the whole equestrian business, and, well, a whole lot of other stuff... the pair of us are quitesimilar in our wanting to write over reading! xD I hope you find the inspiration and muse that you need here, although in all honesty I've found it to be a bit of a double-edged sword. I mean, it was very useful for me for returning to writing after several monthes of doing schoolwork/procrastinating, and around the right people I've felt a steady development. If you can make an RP of a good-writing style with enthusiastic role-players, then it can be a massive boost to writing, and obviously RPing in general is very fun.
Though as a result of dedicating all of my writing here, I've found myself doing very little in the way of independant works, which is bad :( So I'd say to watch out for that. Other than that, I'd love to help you out with any critique/whatever you'd need. At 17 I certainly can't claim to have the level of experience some of the folks here have, but I do have some critiqing experience and I'd love to do some editting/critique again. It also sounds like you have a lot of the same literary interests as I, which is good!

If you still want help on how to make your novel into a good RP, then I'd be more than happy to oblige here :D Other than that, I hope to see you around and may we meetng on the writing-ground some day!
Thank you! I actually backed off of writing for several years, but it has always been my strongest field. I'll keep your name in mind.

Cool, cool! I can't claim to have had the same experiences: I started off more interested in drama and with fairly lacking writing, but after internet experiences, I realised I was really interested in creative writing and so have been pretty dedicated to it (at least mentally :P ) ever since. I'm hoping to do a creative writing course at uni next year to further my knowledge and writing experience! But yeah, I'll remember yours too. To make it easier to remember me amongst all the various other Sky's on the boards (gosh dangit), then you might want to follow me: simple click on my name and click follow! I've done the same to you: I always find being around other writers who are actually doing individual stuff inspires/provokes me into doing likewise :')

As an RPG designer and writer, I might also be of some use if you need an extra set of eyes.

Welcome~ Yeah, this is my creative outlet, especially since I don't have time to actually plan and write out stories. Oh, and I'll just leave this here for you:

Ropes%20GFone%20Wild%20Manilla.jpg

Amityvillager said:
Welcome~ Yeah, this is my creative outlet, especially since I don't have time to actually plan and write out stories. Oh, and I'll just leave this here for you:
Ropes%20GFone%20Wild%20Manilla.jpg

You're awesome. Very awesome.

Thysnia said:
Greetings! Amidst my unsuccessful search for role-play sites dedicated to very specific themes, I seem to have found a collective one that is fairly simple to navigate. I've been hoping to join an active RP community for a long time now, but most that I found were either too complicated to figure out or were simply falling apart.
I've been wanting to role-play mostly to boost my literary engine and provide fresh ideas for the novel I am currently writing. I don't have much drive to sit down and read other novels for inspiration- I'd much rather write! In this I sought an environment to open up a thread relevant to the plot line in my science fiction/fantasy work in progress, in hopes to surmount my incredible lack of muse here lately.

Outside of this obsession over my newest project, I really would enjoy a good role-play in general just for the fun of it. I can get into just about any genre, but those I really dive into are those that follow plots diverting from the mainstream.

Offline, I do have a full time job, a commitment at a local equestrian barn, and a serious relationship that will steal much of my time, but I'm sure most of you are in a similar situation. I always make time for the things that make my often frustrating weeks worthwhile, and literature is no exception!

In order to achieve the hunger I have for good writing, I welcome any and all to shoot their own active role-plays my direction. I will not be able to join every one of them, of course, but I see no better way to get settled here than to jump right in to the thick of the action. In addition, I could use some quick guidance as to what steps I need to take to start my own role-play based on my novel. I would be perfectly willing to post a sample of that in this thread, if it would be helpful in getting the feedback I need.

Thank you to any and all that can help me get into the swing of things here, and I hope to be running with the best of you very soon!
I'm glad you're so eager to be here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back