Video Games Should I Sell my Wii U?

Artificial Sugar

Plus Ultra

So I have a Wii U.

I've only had it for two years, and in those two years, I've bought five games for it. That's it.

While some other games have caught my interest, I never viewed them as worth the $40 or so dollars, when I could be getting much better games for my PS4 or 3DS.

My last game for the Wii U was Wind Waker HD that I bought last month. I haven't beat it, but this is mostly due to lack of interest.

(This, and one other game I have for Wii U can also be played on the gamecube, which I also own, as well as a Wii.)

While there is some sentimental value to the system, (since it was the first game system I bought myself), I am unsure of what other reasons there are for keeping it.

I currently have a pre-order on the Nintendo Switch, as well as BOTW. 

With all my games + the Wii U + accessories, I could get around $160 in store credit at Gamestop.

This would allow me to pay off BOTW,
buy Horizon Zero Dawn, pre-order Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, and pre-order Danganronpa 1 & 2 reloaded, as well as pre-order a pro controller for the switch.

All together, that's ten games (if you count them individually). Five more than I've ever had for the Wii U. 

And the Switch will come out with more, as will the PS4, per usual. 

I'm trying to think of reasons to keep
it, or reasons to sell it. Personally, I'm very excited for the Switch release, and I've heard people saying to wait and see how badly it does, or how shitty the programming is on release, but I've never had any issues with Nintendo systems.

If anyone could give me advice, I'd be super grateful. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you sell it don't take it to Gamestop because they'll give you less money than it's worth. The Wii U can be sold on Ebay for like $140+ with all the accessories but that's not including the games. 

Unfortunately I can't weigh in on this, as sentimentality to me is more than enough reason to keep something that's otherwise obsolete. Example: I'm still holding on to my Zelda Collector's Edition my family got with their Gamecube, because it was what introduced me to the series. Even though I now have Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask on the Wii U Virtual Console, and you can easily find roms of Zelda 1 and 2 online pretty much anywhere.

If you do want to listen to my opinion anyway, though, then I'd say if there's sentiment behind it, then that's reason enough to keep it. I'm planning on buying all of my parents' Zelda games off of them when I eventually move out of the house, after all. But memorabilia is far more important to me than I think it has any right to be, so... Make of that what you will.

Personally I would keep it... though mainly because the Wii U is already discontinued. I'm also being a bit biased on account of being the type of person who never trades or sells consoles, especially since I have nostalgic waves where I want to play older games again with their original hardware. It's also nice having a little piece of history, even though it was a failure for the most part. 

tbh I only keep my wii u for wind waker (I sold my gamecube already cause I have too many consoles at this point lol) and because I lost my tv remote at my mom's house. Wii u is now my hella expensive remote lmao

IF NOT for those things I would've already sold it as well. It wasn't a god awful console or anything, but it just wasn't... what I wanted out of a console. I got bored of it too fast.

So, as a personal biased opinion, I'd say sell it. Unless there's any chance of a game interesting you on it. Something you might want to come back to ever in the future?

Just don't throw all your cards down at the switch. I'm sure that console will be decent, especially with 3rd party games and all that. But there's no real confirmation if it's going to be good or not until it releases.

But if you choose to trade it in at gstop, check if they have a trade bonus going on towards the switch (assuming you've pre-ordered it already). They always have those little deals so you can get an extra value.

or shop around online to see what you can get, just keep shipping in mind (and make sure to properly wipe/reset the console if you're not trading it into gstop).

Probably a safe choice. Ports and sequels are going to make a lot of those Wii U titles obsolete anyway. Really hyped for MK8D and Splatoon 2.

Yes, an abandoned console with few good games is just what it is. I'm planning to sell my Wii U when I finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Such a stupid title, but I'm giving it a try before I sell my Wii U)

It honestly depends on the games. Super Mario 3D World, DKC: Tropical Freeze, the Bayonetta games, Splatoon and Smash 4 are worth keeping the system imo.

If you've already pre-ordered the Switch, then I see no reason to keep it.
I would have waited for Switch to be about three months in, where they could fix any launch bugs or hardware defects. In that time, you could continue to play Nintendo games on the Wii-U, so long as you didn't buy any new ones.
Since you've already pre-ordered the Switch, I don't see any logical reason to keep it aside from sentimental value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back