Shields?

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
Are there shields in Exalted? I dont recall any and I was kinda interested in making an artifact shield.

Wailing Wall, a soulsteel tower shield. Dunno what I would do with it though.

If there arent shields listed somewhere, could we come up with some stats for them? If they are listed somewhere, wanna help me make the artifact?

Thanks

DarkDeal said:
Are there shields in Exalted? I dont recall any and I was kinda interested in making an artifact shield.
Wailing Wall, a soulsteel tower shield. Dunno what I would do with it though.

If there arent shields listed somewhere, could we come up with some stats for them? If they are listed somewhere, wanna help me make the artifact?

Thanks
There's rules for shields in the core book.  There's at least one artifact version (Thunderbolt Shield?) originally mentioned in Bo3C.  I suggest reading the equipment chapter.

My ST steals all my books before I have a chance to go through them. I own all but the aspect books. I will eventually get to look at what you said. Thanks.

I'd like to add that on top of the corebook rules, you might want to just go ahead and pre-emptively do what I've done for Shields, and change them to being -2 dice for every current -1 success. The reason for this is that the game has a programmed in minimum dicepool size of the character's Essence, which eliminates the nasty twinkery that occurred a couple of times in our games (mostly just in fun 'let's see what we can do' one-shot sessions rather than legitimate gameplay, to be fair) of characters that legitimately have a Difficulty of 12+ to hit.

In the main book it says that shields provide partial cover from ranged attacks, but I've not seen anything describing what they do in melee action.

I have make a artifact shield of my own that a player came across.  The Shield of Blazing Light.  It has two main effects.  In melee action, the Exalt can expend 5 motes to make the shield shine with a blinding light, making all melee opponents at a minus 2 successes to hit.  The down side to this is that it makes you a beacon for ranged attackers, especially at night.

The second effect is that it inspires fear in the undead facing you.  Low level zombies had an additional minus 2.  Abyssals and higher level critters were unaffected by this.

The shield also came in useful as a powerful light, illuminating a underground cavern.

Shields

There are alternatives to artifact shields.  In my games, I allow players to buy fine, exceptional and perfect shields, giving them similar bonuses as armor (the +1L/1B soak becomes +1 melee penalty/+1 missle penalty).  I also allow such shields to be built from alchemically perfect materials and to be enchanted (a bonus to soak is changed to increased difficulty to hit).  Obviously, a perfect tower shield made of alchemically unbreakable steel and blessed with a fifth level enchantment will be quite powerful, but it will be very, very hard to make and even harder to buy (these would be the shields of legend.)  It's just another way that mortal magic and craft can approach the lower levels of Exalted artifice with great difficulty and patience.

Sherwood said:
In the main book it says that shields provide partial cover from ranged attacks, but I've not seen anything describing what they do in melee action.
Shields eat successes of attack rolls made against you, just like cover does. This applies to both ranged and melee attacks. The number of successes eliminated depends on the size of the shield and the type of attack. Table in core book on page 229.

the core book talks about how artifact shields are especially rare and almost all of them are artifact 4 or 5

this is because its a bad idea to make a weak artifact and use it to soak damage- shields get destroyed- big suprise

the book suggests these high artifact shields generally have enchantments that make them indestructable exept in certain cicumstances hence the high rating

keep in mind they have a fatige rating and mobility penalty just like armor

personally I think they should add a little to the base armor rating too like +1/+1 for bucklers +2/+2 for kite shields and +3/+3 for tower shields further enchantments might raise the armor rating of the shield, lower its fatige and mobility ratings or more esoteric effects

I think adding armor to shilds as a normal rule reflects better the truth about shields no doubt the tower shiled had more to do with the sucess of the romans than the ballista did

also a greek style hoplite fighting style is Uber cool for this game, especially if your playing a character rooted in greek myth or something

the Spartans were supposedly descended from Hercules (definatley a Dawn Caste) or maybe your characters previous incarnation was Odysseus or Achilles- Achillies would make an exelent Zenith- you know blades bouncing off his chest and all

I love this game

Arthemis Rex...er... I am kinda loosley based on Alexander the Great and Roman general named Ambrosius all that greek imagery has been really useful to me and I highly reccomend looking to this and other Mythos as a source of inspiration whether you use a shield of not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back