Other Sexist or?

Ember Spark

Sparky AKA Flint
Kay so, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine. Shes one of those femanazis. (and I'm not talking about feminists. That's a totally different thing. They are not crazy)

Anyways, so I told her a few things I believe and she blew up on me.

So I wanted to ask is this sexist?

I believe that the man needs to be the one to propose. And I think a woman should be able to stay hone with the kids and take care of the house.

I dont know. I feel like I just have old school thoughts. Are my opinions sexist?

No. I mean as long as you allow for people to do what they feel most comfortable with than I wouldn't say it's sexist. A little old fashioned maybe but that's not the same thing.

forcing women into roles they don't want to take just because said roles used to belong only to men isn't helping anyone.

If a woman wants to propose she should be able to sure, just the same as she should be able to stay home and raise her kids if that's her choice. 

yea! I mean you do you. My moms friend proposed and it was sweet but not my cup of tea.

everyone does what they think they need to do and I do me. I'm supportive of anything anyone wants to do.

It is a bit sexist tbh. Believing that either gender should have specific roles is sexist. calling someone a feminazi is also sexist

First I would like to point out that sexism is the idea that we should be discriminate in roles for people based upon their sex, which not the same thing about specifically restricting the roles of women, as a matriarchal  society also has a form of sexism. Second, your statement may appear to have sexist qualities in that it can be perceived to be a blanket statement about the roles of all men and women, however if you are simply speaking for your preference in saying, "I want to be the one to propose and the breadwinner of the relationship." then that is simply speaking for yourself and presumably the preference of your future partner. People tend to get touchy if you don't imply that there is a choice. Also I'm not sure how your friend's disagreement of your opinion qualifies as femanazi behavior yet, femanazis tend to have distorted double standards about gender roles and misandrist tendencies.

My personal belief is that anybody can have an expectation within their relationships (that the man will propose if somebody's going to, that their wife (or they) will stay at home with the children) that one thing or another will primarily be the responsibility of one partner or the other. 

In America especially, more mothers stay at home with their children on maternity leave than fathers do on paternity. That's partly because of convenience (if the woman breastfeeds, it becomes difficult for her to be far from her child(ren) for a long period of time), and partly due to paternity leave often offering lower benefits. There's an attitude in our society that the woman should be the one to stay home with the children - and that's an attitude I don't agree with.

It should be each couple's free choice on what they want from their relationship.

I am young - but as a woman I feel that even when I'm older I would prefer to be proposed to. It's a bit traditional, but it's what I'd want when the time comes. There's no problem with that, in my opinion, just as there's not a problem if the woman proposes (as that's each couple's preference and choice.)

Otherwise, I don't personally believe that a woman is incapable of doing anything that a man can, or the other way around.

It might be harder for one gender to fill roles traditionally kept for the other, though.

Woman are built much differently than men - wider hips, more fat underneath the skin, etc. That can make physical tasks and jobs harder for a woman. With training and effort, they are just as capable - but it will likely take more initial effort for them to make it work.

Men, obviously, don't have breasts. As I've said, that can make them staying home with children while their wives work much more difficult, provided their children are being breastfed. It's still not impossible.

TL;DR: Yes, what you said can be considered sexist, but as long as you don't force others to conform to your beliefs you're fine. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but not to making other people behave in a way that suits them~

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think that all of one group should adhere to those beliefs then it is sexism lol 

and so stating it so generally, as if it applies to all, will likely be perceived by some to be sexism. Not saying you are or that it is, but that's exactly what makes it sexism: applying it to ALL women/men. 

Had your statement been more along the lines of, "I would like to be proposed to by a man, and I would like to work in the home because I'm a woman" this wouldn't be the case. 

Feminism is about equal opportunity, generalizing all of men or women is limiting opportunity. 

So I wouldn't be surprised by that reaction, as you essentially said you think women shouldn't ever propose and that they belong in the home. 

Again, I don't personally perceive this to be sexism, but I wouldn't be surprised by geting backlash from it. 

A woman should be able to stay at home if she wants to and if her spouse is able and willing to support both of them on their own. If they want is key though. Believing someone SHOULD stay at home is sexist yes. Thinking a man should propose is definitely sexist though. Like, by definition. Artificial or rather arbitrary expectations based on gender/sex are inherently sexist. It's cool if you personally want the man to propose in your relationships, I think. Though, if it's based on being a man... yeah, it's sexist.

Seems pretty normal to me, I wouldn't even consider those opinions old-fashioned. Anyone calling it sexist is probably just overthinking it and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Kay so, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine. Shes one of those femanazis. (and I'm not talking about feminists. That's a totally different thing. They are not crazy)

I believe that the man needs to be the one to propose. And I think a woman should be able to stay hone with the kids and take care of the house.

I dont know. I feel like I just have old school thoughts. Are my opinions sexist?

Come on. If she doesn't want to live in a world created by people before her, maybe she shouldn't, because those ideas aren't sexist, just how it's been FOR THE PAST TEN THOUSAND YEARS OR SO.

Nothing sexist, just how it was. I mean in some places at some time periods it got a little out of hand by today's spastic "equal if I say it is" standards. But all in all, being a woman with those preset goals wasn't a requirement (although dead white guys sometimes changed that or something) as much as it was just... a role. And people were ok with that for thousands and thousands of years, because it was just a role to follow. And not everyone did, even. People crossed over gender roles for thousands of years. Bisexuality has been a 'problem' (note quotation marks) for much longer than it takes for some sophisticated modern court to rule it.  The only people who were really limited by this stuff was the people who thought it was a requirement. And those under the ancient Christian church xD

Rant... clear!

Good rule of thumb: If you have to ask, it isn't sexist. For something to be sexist, or racist, or any form of 'ist' there has to be malicious intent. Sexism is the hatred of women, you don't hate women, thus it's not sexist. Pure and simple. If something is racist or sexist you're gonna know because it requires willful malice.

Edit: Just to fix my own mistake, misogyny is the hatred of women, not sexism. Sexism is discrimination based on gender. However 'discrimination' is subjective. As are the other defining traits of sexism such as 'prejudice' and 'stereotyping'. As it is subjective and everyone's view of what counts as sexism can be different you should just leave the subject alone. If she feels it's sexist then she doesn't have to do it. A LOOOT of women don't find it sexist, though. Another way of putting it is that it's her opinion. It's neither right nor wrong, it's just her own subjective view of things.

If she tries to push her subjective beliefs onto you, tell her to fuck off.

I do want to pit out there just incase someone thinks I'm an ass. Those are my opinions and I'm not pushing them on to someone. O.o

Honestly, having a preference or an opinion does not discriminate the other gender. So it isn't sexist. BUT if you would discriminate men for proposing, that would be.

I mean, it's an opinion, not open discrimination. Just like saying 'black people are not my type' isn't racist. You don't have to be attracted to anyone and everyone. It is just your preference. Saying that they're disgusting or ugly is

Honestly, having a preference or an opinion does not discriminate the other gender. So it isn't sexist. BUT if you would discriminate men for proposing, that would be.

I mean, it's an opinion, not open discrimination. Just like saying 'black people are not my type' isn't racist. You don't have to be attracted to anyone and everyone. It is just your preference. Saying that they're disgusting or ugly is

The problem with saying that "black people aren't my type" is that when people say that they're alienating a WHOLE entire race, and they're most likely doing it because of their skin color. They aren't doing it because of their hair texture, eye color, body shape, nose shape or whatever else, because those things differ from person to person. So yeah, people who say that are most likely racist, and it's not a preference at all. If you wouldn't date someone/hang around someone because of their skin color, that's literally what racism is. I'm not saying that you have to be attracted to everyone of that race, but if you wouldn't date literally anyone of that race then it's racist

Generally speaking for this topic, sexism is defined as attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of gender roles or discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex or gender, as in restricted job opportunities. So yeah, those beliefs are like sexist but it's not something that people should scream over. As someone already said, believing that anyone should have specific roles to do based on their gender is like the most basic form of sexism. What wouldn't be sexism is saying that you would prefer to propose to your wife and not the other way around. Expecting your wife to stay at home and take care of the kids is sexist, no matter which ever way your spin it. Whoever takes care of the kids should be a discussion between the parents, no one should expect the other person to do anything.

Even though those ideas have been around forever and ever doesn't necessarily mean that it's not sexist, just because it's a long-standing idea doesn't mean that it's right. If you have to aks whether or not something's racist/homophobic/sexist, it isn't the best rule of thumb to just go ahead and say that it's probably not. As a society (at least for the US) we've only been having discussions about these things for so long, and not everyone is gonna know whether or not these things are acceptable because for a long time you didn't need to question it. Generally, if you're unsure of whether something is racist/homophobic or other things you should just ask and gain other views on it. That's the best way to go about anything honestly.

The problem with saying that "black people aren't my type" is that when people say that they're alienating a WHOLE entire race, and they're most likely doing it because of their skin color. They aren't doing it because of their hair texture, eye color, body shape, nose shape or whatever else, because those things differ from person to person. So yeah, people who say that are most likely racist, and it's not a preference at all. If you wouldn't date someone/hang around someone because of their skin color, that's literally what racism is. I'm not saying that you have to be attracted to everyone of that race, but if you wouldn't date literally anyone of that race then it's racist

That is not what I meant at all. Avoiding black people is racism, sure. But not finding a black person attractive is perfectly fine. I don't really care, but then again, I don't differentiate between genders either. Should we call heterosexuals sexist, because the same gender is not attractive to them? It is just as ridiculous. People have things they're not attracted to and most can't help liking what they like.

That is not what I meant at all. Avoiding black people is racism, sure. But not finding a black person attractive is perfectly fine. I don't really care, but then again, I don't differentiate between genders either. Should we call heterosexuals sexist, because the same gender is not attractive to them? It is just as ridiculous. People have things they're not attracted to and most can't help liking what they like.

But the thing is, you have to ask yourself "Why do I not find black people attractive?". It's one thing if you don't think this specific black person is attractive but you find other black people attractive. It's another thing if you quite literally don't find any black people attractive, and if that person doesn't find any black people attractive then they really need to start asking themselves why that is. I can't think of any other reason other than that person is prejudiced against them for whichever reason.

Sexuality is a different matter. You are literally born being attracted to this one gender or multiple genders. That doesn't happen with race because biologically, race is not something that exists. Yes, races will have traits more seen in that specific race, but for the most part, race is a social construct. And the word you were looking for was homophobic, not sexist.

For now I'm just gonna stop discussing it because we're getting vastly off topic.

But the thing is, you have to ask yourself "Why do I not find black people attractive?". It's one thing if you don't think this specific black person is attractive but you find other black people attractive. It's another thing if you quite literally don't find any black people attractive, and if that person doesn't find any black people attractive then they really need to start asking themselves why that is. I can't think of any other reason other than that person is prejudiced against them for whichever reason.

Sexuality is a different matter. You are literally born being attracted to this one gender or multiple genders. That doesn't happen with race because biologically, race is not something that exists. Yes, races will have traits more seen in that specific race, but for the most part, race is a social construct. And the word you were looking for was homophobic, not sexist.

For now I'm just gonna stop discussing it because we're getting vastly off topic.

Though I do agree to it, but I also respect the people who say that they don't find something unattractive. Most would just turn salty if you tried anyways. Sometimes people turn everything racist or offensive, especially things that never were meant to offend. If one gets offended by everything, I think they have an issue, not the world

as for homophobia, I refuse to call it so. It is NOT a phobia. One is not scared of other sexualities. Therefore, not a phobia. Sexism does work in that sense as well. One doesn't want to date a sex. Therefore, just as with race, it should be sexist. But it isn't, like I said, that falls under 'you can't choose what you're attracted to'. Forcing someone to change their sexuality is ridiculous, as I stated before.

I agree, we got a bit off-topic, especially with a sensitive topic like this.

Generally speaking for this topic, sexism is defined as attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of gender roles or discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex or gender, as in restricted job opportunities. So yeah, those beliefs are like sexist but it's not something that people should scream over. As someone already said, believing that anyone should have specific roles to do based on their gender is like the most basic form of sexism. What wouldn't be sexism is saying that you would prefer to propose to your wife and not the other way around. Expecting your wife to stay at home and take care of the kids is sexist, no matter which ever way your spin it. Whoever takes care of the kids should be a discussion between the parents, no one should expect the other person to do anything.

Even though those ideas have been around forever and ever doesn't necessarily mean that it's not sexist, just because it's a long-standing idea doesn't mean that it's right. If you have to aks whether or not something's racist/homophobic/sexist, it isn't the best rule of thumb to just go ahead and say that it's probably not. As a society (at least for the US) we've only been having discussions about these things for so long, and not everyone is gonna know whether or not these things are acceptable because for a long time you didn't need to question it. Generally, if you're unsure of whether something is racist/homophobic or other things you should just ask and gain other views on it. That's the best way to go about anything honestly.

Are you seriously saying people have control over what they find attractive? I thought the entire progressive argument for pro-gay was that people can't control what they're attracted to. If you're not attracted to black people that isn't racist because racism REQUIRES a conscious hatred and feeling of superiority towards another race. Since a person has no control over what they find attractive then not finding blacks attractive isn't racist. I, personally, have no problem with blacks but I don't find black women attractive. There's nothing I can do about that fact and you chastising people for who they do or do not find attractive is far more discriminatory. I could literally take your exact same argument and apply it to homosexuals. "How dare you not find women attractive, you're discriminating against an entire gender!" See how that sounds?

Are you seriously saying people have control over what they find attractive? I thought the entire progressive argument for pro-gay was that people can't control what they're attracted to. If you're not attracted to black people that isn't racist because racism REQUIRES a conscious hatred and feeling of superiority towards another race. Since a person has no control over what they find attractive then not finding blacks attractive isn't racist. I, personally, have no problem with blacks but I don't find black women attractive. There's nothing I can do about that fact and you chastising people for who they do or do not find attractive is far more discriminatory. I could literally take your exact same argument and apply it to homosexuals. "How dare you not find women attractive, you're discriminating against an entire gender!" See how that sounds?

You completely misinterpreted the whole argument there. Racism does not require the conscious hatred of a race. You can do or say something that is racist without understanding that what you said is racist. You're over simplifying exactly what racism is, and it's not as clear-cut as you're trying to make it. There is an unconscious side to racism, just like there is an unconscious side to almost every other ism and phobia.

You can not take my argument and apply it to people who are gay because the two things are like apple and oranges. Sexuality and race are two different things, you literally can't compare them.

People who are gay, bisexual, pansexual, ect. are born that way. You can not change your sexuality, although you can very much deny it.

You are not born being unattracted to Black, Hispanic, etc people. It is not possible to be born that way because race is not something that exists biologically.

If you do not find ANYONE of a specific race attractive, there is a reason why. That reason is not going to be "Oh I was born that way". If your preferences for dating excludes a race, that is inherently racist. There's no way around that at all. And the funny thing is is that you're acting like I'm saying this radical, absurd idea, when this has literally been stated by people of color over, and over, and over again. This is not a new idea.

Society is actively influencing you and what the media shows you shapes your preferences. And since society is still racist (whether or not people want to believe that), there is a very likely chance that some of your preferences are going to turn out to be racist.

Last time I'm addressing this and the last time I will be seen in this thread.

You completely misinterpreted the whole argument there. Racism does not require the conscious hatred of a race. You can do or say something that is racist without understanding that what you said is racist. You're over simplifying exactly what racism is, and it's not as clear-cut as you're trying to make it. There is an unconscious side to racism, just like there is an unconscious side to almost every other ism and phobia.

You can not take my argument and apply it to people who are gay because the two things are like apple and oranges. Sexuality and race are two different things, you literally can't compare them.

People who are gay, bisexual, pansexual, ect. are born that way. You can not change your sexuality, although you can very much deny it.

You are not born being unattracted to Black, Hispanic, etc people. It is not possible to be born that way because race is not something that exists biologically.

If you do not find ANYONE of a specific race attractive, there is a reason why. That reason is not going to be "Oh I was born that way". If your preferences for dating excludes a race, that is inherently racist. There's no way around that at all. And the funny thing is is that you're acting like I'm saying this radical, absurd idea, when this has literally been stated by people of color over, and over, and over again. This is not a new idea.

Society is actively influencing you and what the media shows you shapes your preferences. And since society is still racist (whether or not people want to believe that), there is a very likely chance that some of your preferences are going to turn out to be racist.

Last time I'm addressing this and the last time I will be seen in this thread.

Alright, a couple of issues there.

1: You are objectively wrong. It is 100% impossible to be unconsciously racist. That is false bullshit put forth by the regressive left.

Search Results

rac·ism

ˈrāˌsizəm/

noun

noun: racism

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

By the very definition of the word if you do not believe another race is inferior or hate that race, it is not racist. Every 'ism' and 'phobia' does not have an unconscious side because by definition they require sentient and conscious thought. This is why dogs or cats can't be racist or sexist.

2: How is it possible to be born attracted to a gender but not a race? At a fundamental level the two are the exact same. Gender is, as far as a laymen's observation is concerned, nothing more than appearance. That's why even gay men may not be attracted to ugly men. It isn't their gender they're attracted to, it's their appearance. Gay men are attracted to masculine traits, they are attracted to the male appearance. So they are born attracted to an appearance. Why can't I be born to not find specific races attractive? There is literally no difference other than the fabricated one you have put forth. And those races DO exist biologically. Do you think the differences are caused by magic or something? Blacks and whites are inherently different on the biological level. If they weren't they'd look the exact same. To say those races don't exist in biology would be like saying redheads don't exist in biology. It's our biological makeup that dictates our race.

3: The reason I'm acting like you're saying radical and absurd ideas is because you are. You're literally copy-pasting your arguments from the SJW handbook handed out by the bigots of the regressive left. You intentionally ignore and change the definition of words to fit your narrative. You bend over backwards to make excuses for why being attracted to appearance based on gender isn't a choice while saying being attracted to appearance based on race is. The ideas you're putting forward have been repeated over and over by clinically insane bigots, sexists, and racists. So of course I find your ideas absurd.

4: Society isn't racist, this is another objectively false statement. People within society may be racist, but society itself isn't racist. A racist society doesn't elect black presidents, judges, senators, congressmen, mayors, etc etc etc. This is just another insane idea put forth by the regressive left to justify their crusade of victim-hood.

Well... that was interesting. Talk about a hair-trigger.

I dunno if the wording was accidental or intentional. The first half sounds sexist because of steriotyping ("needs to") and the second half is just fine ("should") Though, I'm not really looking to word-police, and you said "everyone does what they think they need to do and I do me. I'm supportive of anything anyone wants to do."

Sounds... pretty fine to me. Weirdly enough, your friend might be sexist if she thinks it's not okay for a woman to stay home or for a man to propose... I wonder how telling her THAT would go... *take pictures*

I don't think it's being sexist. It's just an opinion after all, so as long as you aren't forcing your opinion on someone else it should be fine. That's just my take on it though.

Let me answer your question with a few questions?

Do you feel a man is superior to a woman?  If so, then yes, that's sexist.

Do you respect a woman's right to choice her own path in life? If yes, then this is not sexist.

Would you support a woman seeking a career in the job of her choice? If yes, this is not sexist.

Would you force your views on to a woman whether or not she agrees with your views? If yes, then this is sexist.

Just a few questions to narrow it down.

Let me answer your question with a few questions?

Do you feel a man is superior to a woman?  If so, then yes, that's sexist.

Do you respect a woman's right to choice her own path in life? If yes, then this is not sexist.

Would you support a woman seeking a career in the job of her choice? If yes, this is not sexist.

Would you force your views on to a woman whether or not she agrees with your views? If yes, then this is sexist.

Just a few questions to narrow it down.

no I don't think a mam is above a woman. I respect woman and support them.(I am a woman) and I dont force my opinion on anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back