• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Send Message on Profile page

Mx.Trinity

Pro Stranger
uh idk if I've been overlooking all this time, and again when I just checked but... there should DEF. be a "send message" or "start conversation" on someones page. I know you're just gonna tell me to compose a message but... it'd be so much easier, there's been so many times I've clicked on someones pages forgetting I can PM and sit there confused for a couple minutes before realizing I can compose a message, so plz?

I cant find it on the profile page either. But the option is there when you click someone's picture and just get the little pop up window.

The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard would it be possible to move it? it's kinda hidden <3

Thank you! What an odd place to put that, though. Never would have though to check there.

That seems to be hard coded into the program.

However when I look at the alpha version of version 2.0.0 for xenforo

Here is what it looks like on one of the developer's profile.

firefox_2017-07-15_04-16-30.png

Also ignore any design decisions or the way it looks. xF2 out of the box as an update is kinda ugly. (We are already planning for the new version of the site's style for when xF2 lands).

Note: The next software update also signicently cleans up all the preferences and menus and makes them all in one place.

That seems to be hard coded into the program.

However when I look at the alpha version of version 2.0.0 for xenforo

Here is what it looks like on one of the developer's profile.

firefox_2017-07-15_04-16-30.png

Also ignore any design decisions or the way it looks. xF2 out of the box as an update is kinda ugly. (We are already planning for the new version of the site's style for when xF2 lands).
that would literally be 100x better imo, much easier to see and functions like the follow option <3 idk if that's possible tho

that would literally be 100x better imo, much easier to see and functions like the follow option <3 idk if that's possible tho

I mean you are looking at the screenshot for the next software update, so not only is it possible, its how the buttons are going to be. (Minus any styling decisions)

They have an alpha of the next update here: https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/

Since its an Alpha, its not out for production/live sites like ours with real traffic.

We are still 2-4 months away from this update though. Its also the one that is bringing roleplay tabs.

I mean you are looking at the screenshot for the next software update, so not only is it possible, its how the buttons are going to be. (Minus any styling decisions)

They have an alpha of the next update here: https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/

Since its an Alpha, its not out for production/live sites like ours with real traffic.

We are still 2-4 months away from this update though. Its also the one that is bringing roleplay tabs.
ohhhhh lovely, any eta on the next update? I know everyones been waiting on tabs and hosted projects... so an exact date is understandably obscure

ohhhhh lovely, any eta on the next update? I know everyones been waiting on tabs and hosted projects... so an exact date is understandably obscure

We are basically waiting for the creators of xenforo to release it at this point. The ETA is kinda 2-4 months. Since obviously we don't make the forum software ourselves. Just all the modifications.

Hosted Projects are just waiting for us to finish cleaning up.

We are basically waiting for the creators of xenforo to release it at this point. The ETA is kinda 2-4 months. Since obviously we don't make the forum software ourselves. Just all the modifications.

Hosted Projects are just waiting for us to finish cleaning up.
just a quick question The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard I've got a lot of free time on my hands, would you by chance be in need of another helper application specifically for hosted projects because I can create at least 5 a day, I'm pretty sure

just a quick question The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard I've got a lot of free time on my hands, would you by chance be in need of another helper application specifically for hosted projects because I can create at least 5 a day, I'm pretty sure

Everyone is welcomed to send an application (we go through them slowly though, we have them piled up for several months and invite people as needed).

However not even mods can help with Hosted Projects since Hosted Projects are just basically re purposed site nodes(sections) and only an admin can make/remove those. If you are interested in being a help, there are newsletter helpers, contest helpers, all sorts of helpers!

Edit: Its the reason why HP clean up is going so slowly. There are only so many admins compared to mods.

Everyone is welcomed to send an application (we go through them slowly though, we have them piled up for several months and invite people as needed).

However not even mods can help with Hosted Projects since Hosted Projects are just basically re purposed site nodes(sections) and only an admin can make/remove those. If you are interested in being a help, there are newsletter helpers, contest helpers, all sorts of helpers!
Oh okay I'm not familiar with the sites innerworkings (obviously) but I was under the assumption that it would just be a matter of creating a thread, then titling each topic for navigation. At least, that's how its worked on sites that I've hosted myself. If you have time... whats the process? I just don't understand why hosted projects, in particular, aren't possible as it stands.

Oh okay I'm not familiar with the sites innerworkings (obviously) but I was under the assumption that it would just be a matter of creating a thread, then titling each topic for navigation. At least, that's how its worked on sites that I've hosted myself. If you have time... whats the process? I just don't understand why hosted projects, in particular, aren't possible as it stands.

Hosted Projects involve someone going into the backend and doing the following:

• Making the forum
  • Making any subforums
  • Making the appropriate permissions for said hosted project owner and each co gm. This basically turns them into isolated moderators of their own little section and not the whole site. If we make a mistake, we suddenly have new staff members.
  • Any appropriate prefixes that the person needs
  • Any other support/assistance required from staff.

HPs as they were for the past like decade are not going to be a come one come all type of scenerio. You'll have to apply again. Basically forget the 6 months we were on IPS and we had that broken addon that let people make their own and spam them in a semi automated fashion, it was one of the worst things we've done for the site. The reason why we haven't opened appllications yet like normal though is that we still haven't finished converting existing ones and cleaning out inactive ones. We've already processed more then eight thousand inactive HPs from the IPS broken system.

Hosted Projects involve someone going into the backend and doing the following:

• Making the forum
  • Making any subforums
  • Making the appropriate permissions for said hosted project owner and each co gm. This basically turns them into isolated moderators of their own little section and not the whole site. If we make a mistake, we suddenly have new staff members.
  • Any appropriate prefixes that the person needs
  • Any other support/assistance required from staff.

HPs as they were for the past like decade are not going to be a come one come all type of scenerio. You'll have to apply again. Basically forget the 6 months we were on IPS and we had that broken addon that let people make their own and spam them in a semi automated fashion, it was one of the worst things we've done for the site. The reason why we haven't opened appllications yet like normal though is that we still haven't finished converting existing ones and cleaning out inactive ones. We've already processed more then eight thousand inactive HPs from the IPS broken system.
Okay so... my question is... why make the GM's have those certain permissions? Why not handle those conflicts via support or the report system as those seem to be top priority? Or is it necessary for those permissions to be implemented for the GM to even access that particular thread?

Okay so... my question is... why make the GM's have those certain permissions? Why not handle those conflicts via support or the report system as those seem to be top priority? Or is it necessary for those permissions to be implemented for the GM to even access that particular thread?

Then it wouldn't be a hosted project would it?

The special thing about HPs is that they get official site features/support from the staff. You are basically getting a minisite/section on one of the largest RP sites around. I think thats pretty cool C:

Just takes a lot of effort and not everyone who thinks they need them, deserve them unfortunately.

Then it wouldn't be a hosted project would it?

The special thing about HPs is that they get official site features/support from the staff. You are basically getting a minisite/section on one of the largest RP sites around. I think thats pretty cool C:

Just takes a lot of effort and not everyone who thinks they need them, deserve them unfortunately.
Well I guess that makes sense but as it stands currently... I feel the GM to Roleplayer relation works relatively well on it's own. If any major problems arise they can contact the staff. The benefit of an HR (to me) is that you're able to go to a singular thread where it contains all of the threads/tabs for the corresponding areas of your RP. A lot of GM's have gracefully been able to do this via text links, it would just be nice to see them by simply clicking a link. Anyone can create a thread so I guess... I'm just not understanding what a hosted project really is. I think I had one a while ago and to me it was just the ability to view all of my threads at once rather then having to bunny hop through text links... sorry if this has all been covered before I just am kinda confused I guess...

Well I guess that makes sense but as it stands currently... I feel the GM to Roleplayer relation works relatively well on it's own. If any major problems arise they can contact the staff. The benefit of an HR (to me) is that you're able to go to a singular thread where it contains all of the threads/tabs for the corresponding areas of your RP. A lot of GM's have gracefully been able to do this via text links, it would just be nice to see them by simply clicking a link. Anyone can create a thread so I guess... I'm just not understanding what a hosted project really is. I think I had one a while ago and to me it was just the ability to view all of my threads at once rather then having to bunny hop through text links... sorry if this has all been covered before I just am kinda confused I guess...

What you want is roleplay tabs again and those are coming with xF2 :).

Here is a rough example/demo I did a few months ago on an earlier version of the xF2 alpha: https://www.rpnation.com/threads/roleplay-tabs-confirmed.298053/

What you want is roleplay tabs again and those are coming with xF2 :).

Here is a rough example/demo I did a few months ago on an earlier version of the xF2 alpha: https://www.rpnation.com/threads/roleplay-tabs-confirmed.298053/
hmmm idk if that's quite what I'm thinking basically... how u can click on "general discussion" and see all the peoples threads, only instead of random stuff you'd just see the threads relevant to the RP. Is that the same or is that different?

hmmm idk if that's quite what I'm thinking basically... how u can click on "general discussion" and see all the peoples threads, only instead of random stuff you'd just see the threads relevant to the RP. Is that the same or is that different?

Most RPs don't need an entire section or making multiple threads per character or area.

What I showed you lets the creator of the threads link any threads they want and the links always appear at the top, effectively tabbing them together. This is a system we had a while ago.

Most RPs don't need an entire section or making multiple threads per character or area.

What I showed you lets the creator of the threads link any threads they want and the links always appear at the top, effectively tabbing them together. This is a system we had a while ago.
hmmm... I mean this has definitely given me a much better understanding of why it can't be done right now so I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this stuff to me. Tabs seem like they would be useful, but link text is just as effective I think

Links are just as effective, at least for the vast majority of roleplays. ^33^

Staff - while very willing to help resolve RP related problems, such as restoring threads - would end up not being able to do their other duties if they were to be constantly needed handle requests for things that would arise from not giving GMs their own permissions in an HP. The demand from having to sticky/un-sticky, remove posts, move thread A into forum B, all of that is solved when you give the GMs and Co-GMs the settings to do that all themselves in their own sub-forum. It gives them the freedom as well to organize without having to wait for a staff to do those types of things as well.

Staff - while very willing to help resolve RP related problems, such as restoring threads - would end up not being able to do their other duties if they were to be constantly needed handle requests for things that would arise from not giving GMs their own permissions in an HP. The demand from having to sticky/un-sticky, remove posts, move thread A into forum B, all of that is solved when you give the GMs and Co-GMs the settings to do that all themselves in their own sub-forum. It gives them the freedom as well to organize without having to wait for a staff to do those types of things as well.
The last time I remembering having a hosted project... I'd just request the name of the threads, staff would create them, and that was it. I don't ever remember needing to do any moderation. But I'll take your word for it. I just can't remember clearly

The last time I remembering having a hosted project... I'd just request the name of the threads, staff would create them, and that was it. I don't ever remember needing to do any moderation. But I'll take your word for it. I just can't remember clearly
Yeah, from what I understand that was just for tabs and not HPs. HPs were their own mini-forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back