• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Secrets of the Thieves Guild Rules

Nogoodname

Did nothing wrong
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Rules
Just a couple of ground rules to make sure things go smoothly. But remember, the golden rule, and the most important above all else is to have fun. If someone is doing something that infringes on your fun in this RP do not hesitate to tell me and I will do my best to work it out.

0. This is not so much of a rule as it is my expectations for the players and what you can expect of me. As a GM I am very lenient, and will generally side towards the option that allows you to have more fun as a player. I want everyone to enjoy their character as well as the story, and have fun moments in the spotlight, that's my hopes for what I'll be able to provide for the players. I was taught by a great man that a good GM never says no, and I hope to stick to that philosophy here. At the same time though, I have some expectations from my players as well. I am looking for players who are here to try and create a good time and put effort towards this RP and it's story. Players who can be fair towards one another and and will go out of their way to create posts with their own flair and creativity. Don't be intimidated by this, I'm not expecting every post to be Shakespear, I just want you to TRY your best, and as long as it's clear you're giving me your all I will do whatever it takes to make you happy, that's a promise.

1. This RP requires all participants to join the discord, linked here.
Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers
This RP is very heavily designed around pre-planning and working together as a team to accomplish your mission, discord makes it easy for everyone to do that. Please do your best to be decently active with the other players.

2. This is a heavily PVP focused RP, it is expected that players will come into combat with one another in every mission, as such I expect all of my players to know the etiquette of proper RP PVP (ie: no auto hitting, no meta gaming, ect... if you aren't aware of the general etiquette towards RP PVP don't hesitate to ask me or one of my mods.). All PVP scenes will be done through a collaboration of all parties involved and one discord moderator through Etherpad.net (Remember, .net, not .com, .com is a weird site). This is the best way to make sure that A. Combat is done quickly and easily without spamming posts, and B. Combat is done fairly, without any cheese. The way it should play out is, first all those entering combat load into etherpad, second the players decide on a turn order, or the moderator provides one for them, third each player acts briefly on their turn, giving enemies ample time to react (It is recommended, but not enforced, that players take roughly 6 seconds for each turn, that's a good amount of time to get things done while also leave others open to react) until combat reaches it's natural conclusion, then finally the moderator gives their approval and posts the scene. (For the sake of organization, please make sure to mark down somewhere the names of all players involved, as well as the name of the approving mod). Lastly it's important to note that in a PVP situation, the player who takes damage and the player dealing said damage must agree on weather the damaged player makes a mortal wound roll (remember, it is possible for your character to be wounded without rolling on the mortal wound table. Mortal wounds are reserved for death blows), if an agreement cannot be reached, call a mod and they will use their impartial judgement.

3. If you do not post something up in 2 weeks without talking to the GM or a mod about it, you will be removed from the current mission. This rule is simply for the sake of making things move along quickly, nobody likes to sit around and wait on the one guy who's dropped off the face of the earth. Two weeks seems fairly generous to me, I highly doubt you'll ever have something go on in your life that will prevent you from coming on at least once to PM me within a 2 week time frame, and if that is the case, well, you have a lot more to worry about then my RP. Luckily for you! This is an episodic RP and each mission is it's own episode, so whenever the current mission ends you will simply be able to rejoin the RP in the next one.

4. You may make as many characters as you like, but they must all belong to one faction, and you cannot change sides once you've chosen. As much as I hate to reduce my players options, this rule is necessary for 2 reasons. 1. Members of a faction are privy to some very sensitive information about their faction, allowing players to play both sides makes it very easy for players to meta game(even if they're not trying to). 2. I want players to really feel attached to their faction, I want them to want to win. I feel that by restricting players to one faction they will care more about said faction and be more invested in its success.

Death

This RP is very death heavy, and is intended to be difficult to emphasize creative and intense roleplay. At the same time, we don't want to just kill people outright without a chance to react, so we've established mechanics in order to make death something that's avoidable, yet at the same time very present and shocking even to the GM's doing the killing.

When a player takes a risk or makes an unwise decision, or an event occurs where death is possible, you will see this text with the GM's next post.

warning!

Revitlink Damien WArnings.png
Possible death imminant

After this warning has been posted, every player in the area should be on their toes! Because death lurks right around the corner...

If a character is careful, and either cleverly counters their enemy, uses their abilities and teamwork to their advantage, or takes a risk that pays off, that will be the end of it. You will successfully have avoided a dance with death.

But! if at this point a character makes a mistake or an unwise decision, they will suffer something called a mortal wound. A die 100 will be cast, and the results will determine your characters fate, you will be given the option of either accepting what the dice tell you or having your character die outright. Here are the odds for the FIRST mortal wound.

00-50 Death: Your characters suffers a wound too great and perishes, plain and simple.

51-60 Incapacitation and serious injury: Your character is struck with a near mortal wound and is knocked unconscious, but just barely makes it out alive. A serious injury role could result in a lost limb or heavy damage to a vital organ, these are the types of wounds that leave a permanent mark on a character, and will change them forever.

61-70 Incapacitation and a medium wound: Your character avoids a significant portion of the damage, but you are still hit and knocked out. A medium wound role is less serious, but still requires immediate attention. These kind of injuries consist of deep cuts that cause heavy bleeding and/or broken bones.

71-80 Medium wound: Your character suffers a medium wound but is still able to hold on to consciousness.

81-90 light wound: The enemies attack glances off of your armor or doesn't land correctly, lucky you. A light wound does not require immediate attention, but should still be checked for infection, poison, or other harmful after effects. A light wound consists of flesh wounds and at most minor bone fractures or sprains.

91-100 no effect: Thanks to an incredible stroke of luck, an attack that should have hit you misses completely! Your character is safe, and may act as normal, The only medical care necessary is a potential change of underwear.

On the SECOND mortal wound, the chances ramp up quite a bit...

00-90 death
91-93 incap/Serious injury
94-96 incap/Medium wound
97-99 Light wound
100 No effect

There is no third mortal wound, if your character somehow manages to survive both wounds the next will be an instant death. Mortal wounds refresh after a character has had a chance to patch them up between combat.

Let's run an example through the eyes of Team Potato:

Team potato has 4 members: Jimmy, john, Sarah, and Alex.

Team potatoe are walking along merrily, getting their dungeon on when suddenly the group comes across a Minotaur! Quite a deadly foe indeed! But the Minotaur doesn't see the party so they have a lot of ways they could play this... or not.

On Jimmy's post, he draws his steel and charges the foul beast with a boisterous war cry! Immediately shattering their chances at stealth.

The GM then posts the Minotaur's reaction, followed by our signature warning Be wary from this point, death is upon you!

John, noticing that the threat is FAR too strong for adventures of their ranking, turns heel and runs away. Because he ran instantly and the Minotaur is fully focused on his teammates, John gets away easily. He goes home and enjoys a nice rest, nothing bad happens to him. John is a coward, but John is alive, be like John.

Jimmy, on the other hand, continues his charge until he's standing right on the beasts toes and thrusts his sword forward! For the sake of this example, weather or not Jimmy actually hits the beast and the damage he deals is irrelevant.

Sarah and Alex, sit back and prepare spells

The Gm posts again, since the beast isn't focusing on Sarah and Alex, they take no mortal wounds, and seeing that Jimmy has taken no precautions to keep himself safe or otherwise play towards the beasts weaknesses, he suffers a mortal wound. The GM rolls in public in order to make things tense and exciting for all parties involved, 33, ohhh sorry Jimmy, maybe next time. The GM then follows up with the Minotaur making a swipe for the charging adventurer, his blow connects and sends the poor rookie flying back until he hits a wall, breaks his neck, and dies instantly.

Sarah, mortified, immediately swears vengeance for her fallen friend, and charges in with a hail of magic missiles.

Alex too hurls a fireball right at the enraged beast!

GM post again, seeing as Alex is at least trying to fight smart by keeping the beast at range, and also potentially looking to attack against his weaknesses (fire burns the heck out of fur!) she suffers no mortal wound, Sarah on the other hand... The GM rolls again and this time scores a more impressive roll, a 73. The GM then types out the beasts action as he swipes at her chest, claws ripping right through the padded leather and cutting deep into her flesh and sending her flying! Landing a couple feet back in the dirt, winded but alive and conscious. Sarah is badly hurt, but she's still in the fight.

Sarah gets to her feet and charges in for another attack!.

This time, Alex draws her steel and joins her teammate, hoping to overwhelm the beast!

The GM returns, and since both players are now in a bad situation, they both take mortal wounds. For alex the GM rolls a flat 1, ouch, Sarah on the other hand continues her lucky streak with a 93! The GM types out both effects, the Minotaur swipes at both of them, breaking Alex's neck instantly and sinking it's claw right into Sarah's eye.

Sarah is in a really bad way, at this point even running is fruitless, so she needs to get really creative if she wants to survive. On her post she goes to her bag and retrieves a smoke bomb, throwing it down, then she uses magic to make 2 illusions of herself, all 3 of her darts into the smoke. One illusion sarah breaks left, the other runs right back, but the real Sarah runs right and hides behind a stalactite.

On the GM's turn, they know that the Minotaur is decently smart and knows where the cave exit is, so he follows the Sarah that made a dash straight towards it. The trick works and Sarah escapes, badly wounded but alive. Through some careful sneaking she's able to return home, but the loss of her friends will always haunt her...

What to take away: The mortal wound system is designed to punish characters who make unwise decisions in dangerous situations, and also to make character death a tense and exciting experience that even I as the GM can't properly predict. The system is designed to be fun and promote clever play towards your characters strengths, it is NOT the core combat mechanic of this RP. In most situations a mortal wound roll will not show up, or will only show up once. I would also like to clarify that just because the mortal wound system exists does not make this a dice RP, you do not need to roll to hit, you do not need to roll for damage, you do not need to make ability checks, there are no rolls to be made in or out of combat. The mortal wound system only exists for when a player is literally about to die to an unavoidable attack and has no chance to dodge or lessen the damage. Mortal wound rolls are only to be made when the attack or damaging effect would otherwise result in a PC death. Otherwise combat happens as it would in every other RP, where players make attacks, blocks and dodges based on their characters ability, not a random roll plus a modifier.

RP structure

There's one last thing to go over that's important to know, and that's exactly how this RP is going to play out. I've made mentions above that this RP is going to have an "Episodic" structure, but what exactly does that mean? Well, simply put, this RP will be broken up into several missions, the amount of missions we play through will depend on just how many wins each factions gets. And yes, I said "wins", each mission will pit the Thieves and Enforcers against each other and will have a definite winner. In most cases the thieves will win by successfully stealing what they sought out to steal, and the Enforcers will win by stopping them. Everything else, like PC's killed or captured by an opposing faction, or other non important loot stolen is just a bonus. Each mission is it's own self contained plot with a definite beginning and end, and when one faction wins enough missions, they will be given a special "Endgame" mission, if the faction wins they, then they win out, the Enforcers root out and arrest the thieves guild, or the thieves finally complete their mysterious ultimate goal...

So how exactly will that play out? Well to keep things easy I've split each mission up into three phases that we will go through one at a time. The investigation phase, The heist phase, and the cooldown phase I'll go over what each of these phases entail now.

The Investigation phase:
With each mission each side will be given limited information about what their goal is and how to potentially go about achieving it. For the thieves, your employer will tell you what you're trying to steal, give you an optional plan on how to steal it, and some limited information they've been able to scrounge up about the the heist. For the Enforcers you will be given a brief list of a few "hot" areas of the city, one or more of these will be the area where the thieves will hit in a few days. During the Investigation phase is where you will be able to do your information gathering about the mission at hand. For thieves this is your chance to talk to contacts and explore the city to learn important information about your mark that may be helpful during the heist. This is also the time to come up with your own plan and acquire the tools to execute it, should you not want to do it the way your employer suggests. For the Enforcers this is the part where you will be trying to determine the thieves plan and sending Enforcers to guard certain "Hot" areas of the city. Sending enforcers to guard an area means they will be in a prime position to defend the area should the thieves try anything there, so it's important to get as many Enforcers in the correct location while avoiding red herrings. If an Enforcer is not sent to guard an area initially, that does not put them out of the rest of the mission, it just means they will come in a little later and have to storm the location, losing them the home field advantage.

The Heist phase:
Once the thieves have a plan and all the info they need, and the Enforcers are in position and ready to intercept them, the real fun begins! This phase is the action, the night of the heist, where all your hard planning pays off! This is the phase where the thieves will execute their plan, and the Enforcers will try to thwart it while capturing and arresting as many thieves as possible. This is the phase where most PVP conflict is expected to happen.

The Cooldown phase:
After everything's come to a close, the thieves have either gotten away with the gold or been rightly thwarted, the cooldown phase sets in. The cooldown phase is simply time for characters to, well, cool down. Come back home and lick your wounds, have some character interaction, give me time to write the next mission. This phase allows characters some downtime to do social activities or to work on projects between missions, the cooldown phase can last less than a day, or up to a few weeks. Don't worry, you'll be told beforehand how long the cooldown phase will last.

Switching phases:
So, with all this info in mind, how exactly do we switch from phase to phase? Simply enough we'll put it to a vote. In the discord chat there will be a chat available to everyone where you can go to cast your vote on when to switch. Simply enough, when you're done with everything you can possible do in that phase, just go to that chat and type something along the lines of "Ready". Once roughly 75% of the players are ready to switch, we will switch to the next phase. This same system will apply to days and nights in this RP, whenever your character is ready to turn in for the night, or is simply waiting for nightfall for a specific reason, go to the appropriate chat and cast your vote to let me know you want to go on to the next day. We will go from day, to night, then day again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back