• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Second Sin: Gilded Age Detective roleplay

crybaby

Super High School Level Idiot
(Writing this on my phone. Sorry about writing errors!)

So, recently I've been interested in the gilded age of America. I've always been fascinated by detective fiction, so I thought, why not combine the two?

It would take place around 1880 in either New York City or Chicago. There would be a villian who is either a serial killer or mob boss of some sort. Your characters could be sided with them, or they could be 'good'.

Your characters would be from all over the world, and summoned to the city by my character, who will be a detective. From there I probably won't control it much, but I might add more details later. The only goal will be to take down the 'villian' and solve any other problems that arise.

It would also be pretty casual, but I'm pretty strict about characters. I like roleplaying with well though out OC's!

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="The Rogue Bro]I'm up for it.

[/QUOTE]
Alright, cool. Obviously I need more people to start it, but even then it might be a little bit before I can actually work on the rp. But thanks for your interest, and I'll make sure you know when anything relevant comes up.

And before I have to stab anyone for the idea, my OC will likely be a an agent from the Scotland (Scottish?) Yard. Just putting that out there.

[QUOTE="The Rogue Bro]And before I have to stab anyone for the idea, my OC will likely be a an agent from the Scotland (Scottish?) Yard. Just putting that out there.

[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="The Rogue Bro]And before I have to stab anyone for the idea, my OC will likely be a an agent from the Scotland (Scottish?) Yard. Just putting that out there.

[/QUOTE]
Awesome. Please don't stab anybody, ha ha, the Scotland Yard agent is yours.

One thing that's always confused me: If Scotland yard serves the whole UK, why is it called the 'Scotland yard'?

Interested. Thinking of making a character that is the boss of a opium selling organization from China

[QUOTE="too much idea]Interested. Thinking of making a character that is the boss of a opium selling organization from China

[/QUOTE]
Sounds cool. You would be one of the villians then, which is great.

Also, does anybody have a preference for which city I start it in? I'm thinking either Chicago or New York City.

And the reason we call it Scotland Yard was because the original headquarters had its public entrance on a street called Great Scotland Yard, sort of like Wall Street in the United States.

Who should I be? I usually play the shy scientist, but could I be an elegant mystery novelist, called in because the killings bear a twisted resemblance to the ones in her novels?

[QUOTE="Sadist Onion]And the reason we call it Scotland Yard was because the original headquarters had its public entrance on a street called Great Scotland Yard, sort of like Wall Street in the United States.

Who should I be? I usually play the shy scientist, but could I be an elegant mystery novelist, called in because the killings bear a twisted resemblance to the ones in her novels?

[/QUOTE]
I actually really like both of those ideas.

My character (the detective who summons them) is a germaphobic recluse who barely leaves her bath tub, and hasn't been out of her apartment in a month or so. The villian will probably be somebody she thought was killed, but is now back.

I can see both of those character ideas you presented fitting in. Personally, I think the author would be cool, but whatever you want!

That's 1 more crime fighting author that exists in my mind. And yeah, Castle is pretty good to watch with nice stories and good characters.

I'll try it.

I'm working on the rp right now, even though we don't have that many people. I have some friends that'll be interested.

@The Rogue Bro @Sadist Onion @too much idea

I'm nearly done the rp, and will hopefully have it posted sometime tomorrow. I changed the setting a bit, however, and I wanted to make sure everybody was okay with it.

While working on the summary, I realized that there isn't much freedom in terms of world building that you can do when you have a location such as NYC or Chicago. So I figured I'd just create a new city (I'm calling it Happenstance as of the moment), which will give us more freedom. Basically you can add any buildings or streets as you want, but the city will be basically the same as any other during that time period, and will still be in America. Thoughts?

[QUOTE="too much idea]Chinatown!

[/QUOTE]
Chinatown sounds like a good idea (considering you want your character to be an opium drug lord). Also you can never go wrong with Chinese food. ( ノ^ω^)ノ゚

Users who are viewing this thread

Back