• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic S E P U L C H R A L

thespacekid

children, children

S E P U L C H R A L

N5QZmqQ.jpg

Introduction

In this science-fantasy RP, everything is on a big scale. The heroes are bigger than life, the stakes are also larger than life. Think LOTR, Dune, that style. You can play heroes of any kind, from the most noble famed interstellar templars on a journey to spread word of their gods, to an AI hive mind three planets strong sending their strongest robot to gain glory to glorious warrior-shamans from tropical avian planets.

Plot

(I'm still working on the lore, forgive me if this seems vague)

Far into the future, say close to 3000 AD, and the galaxy is mostly at peace. Humanity has expanded out of the solar system, FTL travel has been discovered and the stars and other species are open to access. However, there are rumors in the warp lanes, that one of the biggest space empires in our galaxy has just fallen to an unknown alien fleet. Nobody knows who they are, where they've come from, but they say they're going to take over everyone, and they seemingly can. Everyone's gone to war, and everyone with a ship and a quick mind is out on the streets making a profit from this fantastic situation. The leaders of all the other factions meet and try to solve the problem. During this talk, it is let slip that there is rumored to be a super-weapon, something that will help them end this war. Somehow this reaches your ears, you a character from any walk of life, from hopeless outlaw to planet devouring warmaster (Okay, maybe not that much), and suddenly a journey begins. Your characters can choose whether they want to get the weapon for selfish purposes or not. After all, you could be practically anyone in this vast universe of ours.. Now they have to go on a quest to find this fabled weapon and traverse through the stars in search of a whisper in the wind, but be warned, all the nations have prohibited such talks in the face of this oncoming war, after all, why give the people false hope, and you are essentially mercenaries now, in service to your motivations. A quest that will forever change things for you, in a galaxy that is already in a tumultuous age, as you navigate your way through more than just parts of known space, through dimensions and strange worlds, as you fall deeper and deeper within yourself on this quest for power beyond mortal reach.

There is a lot of scope for world-building, epic battles, larger than life characters and problems and room to support them, and basically a kinda sandbox world of sorts. Even though it's science fantasy in the way that magic doesn't exist outright. Let's follow the law by Arthur C Clarke, "any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic".

Themes

Themes I wish to explore with this are mostly identity. Your heroes are generally quite content in life, and now everything has been thrown out of balance, on a scale that they stand to lose everything. Of course, your character could be unaffected for a really long time - distances in space are far.
Really far. So motivations could be endless. After all, the hunt is on for a superweapon. Those things are popular. Nostalgia is another good one, since there has been loss and suffering, and things have changed for the good.

More than just a combat based RP, let's try and look at this with an anti-war lens too. Your players will be quite strong, each able to take out a battalion by themselves, which is 300-800 soldiers, and that's a lot of people. The NPC's you will talk to may not all be on your level per se and be commoners who suffer from exploits of people like your characters. Think a deconstruction of the superhero genre, where you can and will be held responsible for any widespread destruction that happens. If you destroy cities, law enforcement will be after you, etc.

Let's bring some Eldritch horror into this shit because why not. I really want to explore cosmic horror, things man isn't meant to meddle with. That's just a secondary thought though.

Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions, I'm still planning this one out!

Below, some other art that inspired me for this. (Credits to the amazing Nisachar on DeviantArt!)

mbx_vol_03_11_heavy_toll_by_nisachar-d56b88g.jpg

mbx_vol_03_10_kaurav_bliztkreig_by_nisachar-d56b83d.jpg

mbx_vol_02_07_an_open_invitation_by_nisachar-d56b73n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I won't bite :3

So what do you feel about the idea? Any suggestions or doubts? I know right now it probably just seems like a bunch of vague ideas with BBCode slapped on.. But I promise I'll deliver(o'v'o)

@Sunbather

Hmmm, this seems quite nice.

I'll hold on to you promising to deliver the world building, this looks like a
very malleable RP so there's gonna need to be a fair amount of building.

Looks interesting and fun though!

[QUOTE="Grey Masquerade]
Hmmm, this seems quite nice.
I'll hold on to you promising to deliver the world building, this looks like a
very malleable RP so there's gonna need to be a fair amount of building.

Looks interesting and fun though!

[/QUOTE]
Well I hope to create a basic framework for now, and then world-build as we go along. It's essentially a journey, right. Also I'm hoping players can also indulge a little worldbuilding on their own, especially when it comes to backstories and side plots.

thespacekid said:
Well, I won't bite :3
So what do you feel about the idea? Any suggestions or doubts? I know right now it probably just seems like a bunch of vague ideas with BBCode slapped on.. But I promise I'll deliver(o'v'o)

@Sunbather
I just like the idea of being able to play something unconventional. Like, usually it's more of a human develops and slowly becomes strong, and this is very tempting to have something new and fresh going on, so I'd like to see where this goes and how it shapes up and then maybe jump in. C:

I'm with sunbather here. Getting to play some truly bizarre character ideas is making me hyped AF. I look forward to it. But to be honest 90% of this interest check is up my alley, so I'd probably be here even without the promise of bizarre characters.

KingHink said:
This sounds pretty interesting.
I'm in. I thing I can have a lot of fun with this. Though our char might seem strong to begin with, it just means we get to be more creative on character progression. I'm looking forward to it. Not to mention many rps unfortunately die on the first grind to be good enough to make a difference.

I got more than a few ideas. I think I will have a hard time deciding in what to play.

I feel like I might be out of my depth here, but god damn if this isn't interesting. Keep me posted! .w.

Also. I'm all yes to eldritch and cosmic horrors.

What's better than Cthulu? Unicron Deathstar Supervillain Uber-Cosmic Cthulu.

I'm ready for this it sounds epic and will probably be epic. I am ready for my empire to unfold. I will conquer all of you people. Reminds me of elite dangerous and the super race of aliens that wipe out entire planets. Or at least did than other factions came in and genocided them. They still exist in extremely small colonies. They apparently had ships large enough to block out stars and could erase peoples memory. Anyways I plan on doing some things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back