Idea RWBY: Scattered Legends (Not Taking Anymore Members ATM)

Danchou Tsubomi

Leader of the Mekakushi Dan

Hello RPN!
I hope you're currently having a good day.

I had this idea about creating a RWBY RP and GMing it, and have been reading tips on how to be a better GM so that it turns out well, but the problem is...well, I honestly don't know how I'll go about starting this up and getting everyone on a journey that excites us all. Not yet, anyways.

So that's why I'm here! Hopefully with your help, we can get started soon and figure something out, as I am excited to begin something new for you and me.

This is what I have so far to get us started:

- The roleplay will take place a few years before the events of RWBY, but will still have most of the canon events. There's some minor tensions with the White Fang in Vale, but they're not a main focus and are still mostly peaceful. 
- Instead of taking place at Beacon Academy, we're going to be at Atlas. This means Ironwood is our headmaster...mostly in name, however, as he has to deal with all sorts of military things and has not really been able to focus as much on his academy.
- There will be a NPC to handle most of Ironwood's headmaster duties. She handles missions as well.
- The initiation will be different from Beacon's "throw a bunch of kids into forest and see what happens" sort of thing and will be in a ways "safer" - there will be huntsmen and huntresses to act as referees. This initiation will be mainly combat-based and will probably be something similar to a coliseum/arena kind of deal. The winners of the free-for-all will get to go to Atlas and of course, something unexpected will happen during this initiation...
- We will start off doing simple missions where we deal with dust thieves...only to realize that they're not simply minor criminals and are in fact a growing organization who plans on attacking parts of Remnant for their own goal.

That's all for ideas, but I hope this sounds interesting. My main issue at the moment is trying to figure out what the Atlas campus would be like, how to make said campus feel different from Beacon, and how many members to have. I prefer smaller groups, though depending on how many people are interested, I'll adapt.

I'd like to discuss about the plot, too, and having some GM tips would be pleasant.

If you're interested in joining this, please let me know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can help you with the issues in your third-to-last paragraph.

According to Weiss, Atlas's armed forces, academy, and government are all the same entity. So, if I were a student, I'd expect a more military environment - strict discipline, with a focus on tactics and teamwork, plus advanced Atlesian technology. It'd be less laid-back than Beacon, especially with a general (even if only in name) at the helm. As for a more physical description of the setting, I'm reluctant to say anything definite because we might be seeing it in Volume 4 soon. If I had to speculate, though, it'd be very clean, and full of technology more advanced than we've seen in Vale. If it's like the rest of Solitas, it's probably also icy. Here's the wiki article on Atlas for more info.

And for how many members to have, that depends on how many you can handle personally. I can't tell you what your limit is, but just go with what you've felt comfortable with in the past. I also suggest erring on the side of caution - if you're not sure if you'd be ready to manage 8 or 12 Huntsmen and Huntresses in addition to NPCs/plot stuff, for example, stick to 8. In my experience, RWBY RPs can disintegrate fairly quickly if they're too big, because different people from different teams inevitably drop and it can be hard to rearrange (plus, larger groups tend to be less stable than smaller ones in general).

Hope this helps.

Ah, @Mollisol, this is very helpful! This will be useful for the overall feel of the academy and how the professors should be. I'm guessing it'd be pretty normal to see a bunch of ships fly over the school and such, since the headmaster's a general and all?

And I think eight's pretty reasonable. I don't have a bunch of GM experience, so working with smaller groups would be easier for everyone, I think.

Thank you, @Danchou Tsubomi, I try.

Probably, considering that one of the things Atlas is known for is an impressive air fleet.

Sounds good! I wish you luck in getting this planned and flying.

Anything you need help with. Just call me. Plot, characters, etc. Just give me a task and I'll help

Got it. I'll message you about plot and such later, as I'm currently at school.

I want to help out... In tech. And maybe how the syllabus in Atlas works.

I made an OC that is a younger, messed up Adrian

Oh yeah, I'll definitely need help with technology. I imagine Atlas is much more advanced than most of Remnant. Since they have robot soldiers and such, I wouldn't be surprised if the academy had a bunch of those to keep watch for grimm.

Omg that's great ahaha

Lemme if know if there's more you want to discuss about later, guys. :)

One thing I would definitely urge is for you to put great thought into where you want the story to go. Even if you are going for a more sandbox-like theme, there still needs to be an overarching plot so that the roleplay doesn't veer off course and into oblivion. I recommend reading this tutorial by Grey that goes over a basic way to plan plots. Since you are using Atlas and not Beacon there is a requirement for a little bit of world-building of your own, however, that shouldn't be too hard if you go off of what information RWBY has already provided.

One thing I would definitely urge is for you to put great thought into where you want the story to go. Even if you are going for a more sandbox-like theme, there still needs to be an overarching plot so that the roleplay doesn't veer off course and into oblivion. I recommend reading this tutorial by Grey that goes over a basic way to plan plots. Since you are using Atlas and not Beacon there is a requirement for a little bit of world-building of your own, however, that shouldn't be too hard if you go off of what information RWBY has already provided.

Ooh, thank you! This will definitely get me a lot more organized for planning farther ahead. Do you know where I can look for ideas for villains? I have a few general character archetypes that I would like to use, however, I'm not sure which ones to pick. A little worried about accidentally copying the already existing villains, honestly. ;v;

Ooh, thank you! This will definitely get me a lot more organized for planning farther ahead. Do you know where I can look for ideas for villains? I have a few general character archetypes that I would like to use, however, I'm not sure which ones to pick. A little worried about accidentally copying the already existing villains, honestly. ;v;

Sorry for not replying earlier! What will really set you up is giving your villain a motivation, however simple or cliche that motivation might be. There is always something that has happened to them to bring them to where they are now, and there is something that drives them. Personally speaking, a villain that is evil simply for the fact that they are evil isn't very fun. There are certainly ways to that specific situation work, but there is a lot of room for creativity.

One villain trope I like seeing is the Face–Heel Turn. Basically it's good guy gone bad, and usually implies that something gravely serious has happened to this person to where it changed them at their very core. If you want, that is something you could use as the base for a villain idea. The main key to making archetypes work is to develop them and make them more than just a one-dimensional caricature. 

It seems you got help covered but I am interested in joining the finished product.

Alright.  Sorry if this is a dance question but what do you need help with?  Give me the check list and ill get what I can done!

I could say the same my friend!  Brilliant icon yourself!

I'd love to help! Furthermore, I'd love to play! I've been looking for an active RWBY Rp. I'm pretty versed in forrum based Rps so you can toss any task my way other than art or web design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back