• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom RWBY (RP, closed)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"Well, didn't think you'd be this easy to find." Spinel remarked to himself, stepping down from the short drop-off of the uneven ground into what was a small valley of sorts. In the centre he found what were assuredly the relics.

Kingdom of Vale - Emerald Forest - The Relic Circle

"I don't quite remember being the first one to show up," He recalled his visions from the night before. Of course, he'd been wrong before on rare occasions, so it was good he was wrong about something relatively trivial in comparison to other episodes. "Well, I guess that means I get first pick. Yay!" He feigned joy, throwing up lazy jazz hands as he approached.

He stepped onto the little cobblestone plaza, looking around to the pedestals on all sides. Chess pieces? Is this some kind of test? No matter. Seeing the line-up, it was easy to decide what it was he wanted to pick up.

Pawns were an easy decision for him, stay away. He'd been on that end. The disposability of what could most politely be described as 'ineffective'. Created only to be controlled and sacrificed as bait for higher bounties. How many times he'd been used like a shill to try and get a Schnee on the guillotine, sickening. Spinel was no pawn, so why identify as one?

Better to identify as someone with at least some modicum of power. Spinel approached the rooks, eyeing them with a form of scrutiny. Yes, a defender. Their impressive movement and extra utility in the form of castling makes them dangerous adversaries. However, their representative nature as a tool for the escape of someone undeserving like the king made him question that line of thinking. Why have all that power if it'll only be hindered by the will of some other entity beyond his grasp.

Knights however, are some other power. Their unorthodox method of movement made them a comparatively unpredictable opponent. Making them a special threat, alarming in a way that arguably not even the queen can achieve. However, even still that comparative unpredictability also lends to comparative susceptibility to traps and the like. While their movement is more interesting than others', it's also much more limited. This creates a glass cannon mentality, and if anything can be said by Spinel's semblance it is that sacrificing your defensive capabilities for an attack opportunity is not a proper compromise--at least to him that is.

This rolls over into bishops, which fall into a similar pit. They are indeed powerful pieces, but vouching for their efficacy is difficult for him when he finds the defensive utility of a rook's castling to be much more appealing. Especially when a bishop's viability as an attacker can be neutered by something as simple as allied fucking pawns. No thanks.

Of course, it comes back to the queen. Why wouldn't it? The queen was the balance of offense and defense, there really wasn't any contest for what was the best piece in terms of importance. Though, there was one--

"How're we doin' lads?" Spinel greeted the two kings as he approached them.

Why would you want to be anyone but the mastermind? To have that kind of power and control, it was something Spinel only wished he had. Really it was down to colours at this point.

"Eeny meeny miney--" His finger danced over the two. "You." He swiped the black king from its pedestal.

The strategic advantage of going second? Only made better when coupled with advantage on stalemate during Armageddon games? There was no competition really.

Though, as he took the piece in his hand, he felt a thought swim through his brain. The visions he saw, there was something wrong with them now. He couldn't see Aue anymore. Spinel shook his head. Ugh, I'm going to need some aspirin after this.

Well, best he wait here for his partner to show up; Aue or not. He couldn't very well show up at the cliff side without a partner.

Kingdom of Vale - Emerald Forest - The Relic Circle

Raine Olympia

Raine trudged slowly through the dirt, since her incident at the chasm she hadn’t seen another grimm, let alone a potential partner. She was getting very annoyed at the other students for no one being able to find her, she hadn’t gone too far ahead. Changing course, she began to head towards the relic site, hopefully someone would be there, and if there wasn’t one she could just wait.

“This way of assigning partners is so annoying.” She said aloud.

As she walked, she brushed her free hand against every tree that she passed, bending them all slightly in the direction of her travel. It wouldn’t last too long but it would help keep her from looping in on herself. Earlier, while up in a tree, she had seen a small mountain deep within the forest. While getting to a higher point would allow her to scout the area better and find her destination, her intuition was telling her she’d find the relic location before reaching it.

Raine arrived at a clearing, she was up on a cliff looking down at it. She could see a small circular ruin, someone was standing in the middle of it. Raine slid down the cliff face and strode towards the ruins. She could now make out the one standing in the ruins, it was a boy, rather average and he was grasping a black chess piece in his hand.

“Ugh, you better be competent or so help me I’m gonna deck you. If you have a partner already I’m also going to deck you. And them for not showing themselves and giving me a false sense of hope,” Raine declared as she reached the ruins.

“Are these the relics? What kind of game is the headmaster playing at to use chess pieces? But also, why would you grab the king? It’s literally the weakest piece in the whole game,” Raine crossed her arms as she frowned at the boy, tapping her put impatiently.

Yakov011001 Yakov011001

A rather brash opening if Spinel had ever seen one. He hadn't seen her coming, in part because he just wasn't paying attention. As she approached, he took a seat on the pedestal that he'd taken the king from; assuming a posture that lent to a rather confident or posh demeanor.

"Funny you should ask," Spinel addressed her with a sarcasm that many would consider to be unrivaled. "First, yes they are; second, chess obviously; third, someone has obviously never played chess before." He finished, tossing the king up and down idly in his hand.

Spinel looked her up and down. An amazon woman that trumps him in height, she was easily a head and a half taller than him. Plated armour; questionable, considering the existence of aura though it could be explained by a comparatively low aura reserves. All speculation though, he has next to no armour and he has an aura pool equivalent of those mirage pools that disappear when you get too close (the forbidden water, if you will). She was also rather colourful, even with her near pitch black chestplate. He took note of her weapon, spears were relatively advantageous when pitted against most weapons. Finding an opening against her would be difficult; not that he would need to. You're not about to fight her, chill the fuck out with the battle analytics. He pulled back from his hyper-focused tirade of the mind. He'd left behind most all of he stuff back some ways into the forest, so she wouldn't have much to go on in terms of figuring him out. That was the plan; get underestimated. Question is: does she take the bait?

HerculePyro HerculePyro

~Sable Marigold~
Current location: Emerald Forest, Even More Trees

As he led the way Sable glanced over at Cronan, listening to his teammate apologize for his question. Shaking his head, Sable chuckled and gave a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it Cronan, like most people you didn't know it was a sore spot, so no apologies necessary. Although if it helps make you feel better, I'll accept that apology anyway." He gave Cronan a cheeky grin, sheathing both of his blades in a swift, fluid motion before continuing. "Besides, I'm sure we'll run into something big next, and we can make sure you make it up to me by helping me take down, say, a Nevermore, eh?" He joked, nudging Cronan with his elbow as he chuckled softly. After a moment's thought, he groaned and rubbed his face. "I really hope I didn't just jinx us." He grumbled lowly, shaking his head as he kept an eye on his surrounds as part of his mind drifted.

Despite his insistence that he was fine, Sabke wasn't entirely telling the truth. He wasn't hurting from the memory at the moment, yes, but he was dwelling on it and many others besides. Overthinking things that he could no longer change in the slightest was a questionable pastime for Sable, and now that the danger had temporarily passed - he was sure his slightly bitter mood would eventually attract a couple more - he was thinking about other things, such as Cronan's question. This was resulting in Sable's mood slowly getting worse, and that was worrying him even more. Negativity equaled Grimm, everyone knew this, so it was best to stay positive. So Sable tried to think of anything but the depressing stuff, attempting to shove it into the back of his mind with mixed results.

Of course, non of this showed on his face. Sable maintained a calm and even expression, his eyes betraying none of his current troubles. However, one trained in reading body language would be able to tell that something was really bothering him, and that it was only getting worse.

Ending location: Emerald Forest, Still More Trees

Direct: Aleph Null Aleph Null

"I'd love to become your partner..."

As soon as those words left her mouth he locked eyes with her, sealing their partnership. As he did so, a broad smile split his face. "Good, got that out of the way right quick." He held out his hand and grabbed hers to shake it violently. "I'm sure we're going to get along great. My name's Isern, Isern Varger. I'm from Mystral, the way up north bit of it anyways. Gets real cold there. Did you see that landing I made? Oof, what a rough one, aye? They should give us a good proper warning about that before we're on the platforms. Ayways, off we get, got some relics or whatever we got to find before we even start classes. And we're wasting daylight just standing around here."

The torrent of words was suddenly cut off as if by a damn, and Isern spun around and set off in a seemingly random direction, only turning back long enough to motion for his partner to follow along.

Raine Olympia
Raine stared menacingly at the shorter boy. She wanted to berate him on his lacking knowledge of chess if he assumed the king was the best piece, but she resigned herself to challenging him in a game later and promptly beat him. Whether that was by taking his king or hitting him over the head with the chessboard, she didn’t yet know.

Raines's shoulder slumped and she gave an exaggerated sigh.

“Great. All this time waiting for a partner and he’s as boring as they come. It’d be better for the both of us if you got killed before we make it back. I will accept maimed or permanently crippled. Save me 3 years of headaches and your time as you obviously won’t ever make it as a hunter,” Raine said, scathingly, looking down her nose at him. With a toss of her rainbow hair, she turned her back to him and held out an open hand.

“But since I need to pass, I can’t afford to have someone else hold onto that piece. Hand it here before I lose my patience and personally test your landing strategy back at the gorge I crossed,” Raine threatened, a chilling tone in her voice that would cause grimm to pause.

Yakov011001 Yakov011001

"Yeah, yeah, sure," He said, offhandedly tossing the piece aside; just assuming she'd catch it. "Though, I might take you up on that offer," He said, crossing his arms in a contemplative posture, looking past the ruins and out to a clearing where the ruins seemed to expand into a large temple. "If the alternative is working with you, I'd take death in an instant." Of course, he was joking.

Seemed she took the bait, a little eager to do so actually. He didn't look like all that much, and she probably saw his blunder in the foyer last night. His hand idly fell to the small hourglasses on his hip; some of the ones he used to make back on Menagerie. I wonder if there's a kiln on campus. That was besides the point of course. His disregard for his partner made his thoughts wander.

"You don't look like much yourself," He jabbed back. "Like an over-sized training dummy with a clown's wig." Now, antagonizing his new partner wasn't exactly on the list of 'things you should be doing', but it was definitely on his 'things I think are funny' list. Not that she hadn't already contributed to that tension; though, that kind of tension is what he lived for. What he wouldn't give to not know exactly what's going to happen; that's why he just stops thinking sometimes, gets impulsive. Sometimes he can get to that point, and he's getting close now.

He turned on his heel in an instant and was suddenly right up in her personal space, like he was sizing her up. He looked up to her--fuck she's tall--with a smug-prick look only he could muster. His hands fell to his hips again, and he grasped a few of the hourglasses in his hands.

"Let's say we run this back to the cliffs, partner."

HerculePyro HerculePyro

<Cronan Dracula>
Starting Location: Kingdom of Beacon, Emerald Forest
Interactions: Puppernickel Puppernickel
"You know that saying stuff like that is just asking the universe to send something bad our way" Cronan replied in a deadpan manner. Thinking back for a moment to all the lessons he was taught about grim and made a list of some of the few that he would rather avoid contact with altogether than fight, at least while their small group only consisted of the two of them.

"Oh wait, that teleporting thing you did was your semblance right Sable? Seems pretty handy when caught in a serious compared to mine... All I can do is make things explode" He said as if it was the most casual things in the world to talk about, which it could be when it came to semblances, though anyone could tell that he didn't exactly take pride in having such a semblance. It wasn't that it was bad by any means, it could also be used quite tactically too it was just that such a semblance primarily excelled at the destruction of objects and people which was a fact that he look at all too fondly.

"I'll show you what it looks like firsthand the next time we run into some Grimm- if you don't take them out before I get a chance to that is" Cronan said thinking back to their earlier encounter with the beowolves mere minutes ago and just how fast Sable had dispatched them.

Ending location: Emerald Forest

~Sable Marigold~
Current location: Emerald Forest, Still More Trees

"Eh, not like my luck would get any worse if a horse of Grimm did attack us." Sable replied with a cheeky grin, his eyes glinting in amusement as he kept his gaze on their surroundings, looking out for any Grimm sneaking up on them. He was glad for the conversation, as that distracted him from his own thoughts and was likely to lift his mood if it continued, so he readily welcomed it.

Sable chuckled as Cronan asked about his semblance, nodding his head as he replied to his question. "Oh yes, I call it Shatter Step. I will admit, it's useful, but it has many disadvantages with it as well." Sable winced as he recalled the years of training he had to do in order to get it down right, and even now he was capable of making mistakes in teleporting on rare occasions. "Explosians are rather useful though, especially against Grimm." Sable pointed out helpfully, noticing Cronan's less then steller attitude about his semblance. "Depending on how big the explosion is, it can do wonders against the bigger Grimm, let me tell you. Some of them are sooooo much easier with a good bomb." Sable grinned, his teeth flashing briefly in the sunlight as he chuckled. "I'll be sure to allow you a chance to fight the next batch then so that I can see your semblance, eh?" Sable chuckled again, his mood much higher then it was before, the distraction a success.

Taking a good look around them at the forest, Sable stopped, his expression thoughtful as he had an idea. "Say, Cronan." Sable began slowly, his ear twitching a bit in concentration. "Would you mind terribly if I did something that will probably work just fine in the end, but will seem incredibly dumb at the current moment?" Sable asked, his eyes lighting up in a worryingly gleeful manner as his idea formed further in his mind. "Like, really, really dumb idea, super dumb, but will probably work anyway, because life is stupid too."

Ending location: Emerald Forest, More and More Trees

Raine looked down at Spinel, he had stepped into the danger zone; like a fool trying to take a picture with a tiger, the moment his back is turned the tiger would strike for the throat.
And that's all he was, a fool. Raine let out a loud yawn, before turning around and walking away, tucking the chess piece into her armour.
Walking up to the cliffside she had originally come down from Raine began to walk up to it, absentmindedly bending steps into the rocky wall, the indentations disappearing as her feet left them.

I think I'll go head back to the headmaster now, that boy has totally killed my mood. She thought to herself as she reached the top of the cliff and entered the forest again.
Maybe I can find someone else and make them my partner, I have the chess piece already. Anyone would be better. Maybe I should just leave beacon, Shade would probably have some more interesting characters anyway.

He raised his head and the moment their gazes met, Clementine felt something slowly flowing through her veins. It wasn't like adrenaline that made the skin tingle with anticipation that wanted to be turned into motion immediately. It was more like a conviction, soothing her nerves. She had been somewhat aware what it would mean, but to finally find your partner with this definite contract, to feel that sort of bond form, was something way deeper.
She blushed a little at the thought. No way that was true. Ozpin may be the headmaster of Beacon Academy, but to cast such a spell would require a sort of magic that was a part of this world only in the realms of fairytales. It was only her imagination, perhaps guided by the countless romance novels she'd read during those rainy days, that had always spoken of some sort of invisible bond one way or another, a feeling of belonging.
Clementine took a deep breath to clear her head. No wonder she was acting so weirdly after spending all her life in this tiny village by the sea where she knew everyone by name. 'That world's not some sort of story where the first character you meet is of tremendous importance - though we'll be spending quite some time together for the next years...'

His hand literally shook her out of her revery. She hadn't noticed that she had extended her own to reach it, but there they were. She nodded to his words while she waited for the right time to answer him. Clementine blinked a little, struggling to recall the information of the beginning towards the end of his introduction, but she still caught enough to reply to most of it. "Nice to meet you. My name's Clementine Cerise Persimmon, but Clementine's fine - or Clem, since everybody thinks it's too long." 'Including me', she added silently. "I'm from the south, just a small village near the coastline of Vale, so I'm used to warmth - I can hardly imagine what winter's gonna be like, actually, but I guess that's nothing here compared to where you come from." She felt somewhat awkward after saying that, trying to sense whether she had insulted him by any means. People could get pretty picky when it came to talking about their hometowns. Yet she didn't catch anything in particular. 'Probably because we don't know each other too well. Or maybe he's just indifferent.' She didn't muse on it for long, instead replying to his offer with: "Yes, you're right. I'd rather get out of those woods sooner than later."

They didn't even have time to decide on a direction when a loud voice was heard somewhere in the distance that sent her new partner - Isern - running off. It took her a moment to realize what was going on, but as soon as he waved for her, she came running after him, letting him lead her further down into the heart of the forest.

Soviet Panda Soviet Panda

Kingdom of Vale – Vale city – Emerald Forest – Sumire, Oceanos

“What traits do you think are important for huntsmen?”, Pardus asked Oceanos. The little boy wrinkled his forehead. “Hmmm…Well, they have to be strong and fast and courageous! And they have to have lots of aura and a good semblance and really really cool weapons and –“, he answered, but was interrupted by his mentor’s chuckling. “All of these are good points – except maybe the cool weapons –, but all of them also are very…self-centered, aren’t they? Huntsmen have to be good at working in teams. They have to trust and understand each other. And sadly, this is something that I cannot really prepare you for.”

“Oceanos! How are you fari- oh”, it sounded just as he was turning around.
Sumi was looking at him, apparently having just finished her part of the Grimm, too.
“I…take it you didn’t have any trouble”, she added. Before he managed to answer, though, a growl sounded behind him. Even as he was glancing over his shoulder at an Ursa, Sumi sighed and fired a single shot from her weapon, hitting a tree. In an almost comical scene, the Ursa stopped moving, looked at the tree and produced a sound that was probably the Grimm-equivalent of Oh shit. Then it was buried under the trunk.
“Sorry. I forgot about that one, that was careless of me…”, Sumi offered while reloading her weapon.
“Well, you did take care of it, didn’t you?” Oceanos grinned. Then he frowned. “How did you know the tree would hit that Ursa, though?”, he asked while the two of the were moving again.

Not even five minutes later, they heard more rustling bushes. Oceanos groaned.
“Gosh, seriously? Can’t we just get that stupid relic, go back and get some sleep without constantly stumbling over Grimm?”
Then he realized that his sixth sense had not warned him. He interrupted his motion of getting his chakrams ready, a moment before two more students – or initiates, he guessed – became visible.
“Oh. Not Grimm. Hello there! I’m Oceanos and reeeaaally want to get this over with quickly. Wanna find some relics together?”, he asked, much more cheerful than a moment ago, looking at the two of them.

One was a slim blonde girl wearing an orange hairband and brightly colored clothes; Oceanos could not make out any weapon she might be carrying at first sight – not that that meant something. She was accompanied by a guy with long black hair worn in a pony-tail. He was dressed…roughly? and wore an impressive pelt around his shoulders; a pattern was tattooed onto his right arm, and his weapon was rather obvious – an axe. Practical both in and outside combat, it immediately made Oceanos feel agreement; after all, he himself had chosen his weapons out of that reason himself – of course he doubted that he would use them for grain harvest anytime soon…

After some moments of introducing themselves, the four headed off again. Some ten minutes later, they reached a very sudden edge of the forest, which was not even thirty meters away from a large chasm. A short discussion followed before the group started to go left along said chasm. Then –

“Great”, Oceanos said. This time, his aura had definitely sensed danger; he could not remember ever having felt such a strong sense of foreboding. A strange clicking sound came from the chasm.
“I am very afraid to say that someth-“, he continued, before swallowing a bit of his own saliva and starting to cough violently – a spider-like Grimm creature the size of an average house had jumped out of the chasm. Oceanos managed to recover and shook his head. “Nope”, he said, even as his hands automatically grabbed his chakrams.

Kingdom of Vale – Vale city – Chasm next to Emerald Forest, East of the relics – Clementine, Isern, Sumire, Oceanos (and The Nope)

<Cronan Dracula>
Interactions: Puppernickel Puppernickel | HerculePyro HerculePyro

"That's a pretty creative name and self-explanatory too. I call mine Flashpoint, you know after the temperature that an organic compound a sufficient amount of vapour to ignite in the air" Cronan explained as he also kept an eye out for any grimm that could be lurking about, it seemed like they were nearing the edge of the forest but that didn't mean they'd be out of danger yet. "Well I guess you're right about that, it does make fighting grimm a lot easier- I could even turn a pebble or person into a bomb if I wanted to with a single touch. You'll get to see it for sure, just be careful not to get too close, depending on the size of the grimm the radius of the blast could be cover quite the distance."

In the short time that he had met the cat faunas, the impression that the boy gave off was was a mixture of a bit a crazy, so when Sable said he had had a super dumb idea that would probably work, Cronan no other choice but the reiterate, just what exactly was he planning? He decided to just give him the benefit of the doubt and go along with it "Alright, do it. I just hope I don't end up regretting this-" A slight movement in his outside peripheral vision made him stop in his tracks and he quickly reacted by taking aim at the still unknown target.

It took him mere moments to identify the fowl like grim as basan and when he did he tried his best to take it out before it spotted them but, whether by sheer chance or alerted by the conversation that was being held by the two of them previously, it turned its head to face them and made eye contact with him. "Sable close your eyes and cover your ears!" Cronan yelled as he prepared to fire off an arrow but just as he did so the grimm began to radiate a light so bright that left him with no other choice but to squint his eyes shut at the same instant that released the arrow. Thunk! he cursed under his breath as he heard what had to have been the tip of the arrow lodging itself into the bark of a tree, no doubt having missed its intended target altogether before he quickly covered his ears in preparation of what was to come next.

Not a second later did the Basan release a piercing screech, which was the last thing Cronan wanted to happen but luckily he had a contingency plan in mind; despite the bright light illuminated from the beast that brought pain even to his closed eyes lid, Cronan forced his eyes open for but a moment and spotted just where the arrow had landed. That quick was glance was all he needed as he activated his semblance.

Bwoosh! The sound of a large explosion rang out, both the cry and light of the basan fading along with it and leaving the forest in an almost eerie silence. Cronan took a moment to regain his composure, although his searing eyes and ringing ears made that almost impossible for him but he couldn't afford to waste any time right now. Despite their size, bastons were a tricky creature to deal with, not only were they nimble and fast but they also emitted a blinding light that when combined with its screech would paralyze just about anyone who wasn't prepared or had some kind of natural defence against it and what was worse was that this combination always managed to attract grim from nearby grimm. Cronan knew he wasn't able to act fast enough to stop the basan from alerting the grimm all around them but at very least he managed to get rid of a threat that would make it impossible fight off all those grimm and created an opening for new vacate the area.

He could already hear the roars of grim off into the distance as the ringing in his ears finally faded. "Sable, I know you wanted to see me using my semblance all but I don't think just the two of us will stand a chance against all those grim... so, let's run ok?" Cronan spoke while nervously scratching the back of his head almost as if he was apologizing before he made a dash for it.

He could already hear the footfall of multiple creatures trailing behind them, the rhythmic tapping of their steps leading him to believe that they were either being trailed by a large pack of Beowolfs but the lacking of howling and snarling made him doubt it and the particular sound their feet made when coming into contact with the ground ruled out the possibility of it being Ursai, and so that left with him only one other suspect. A quick glance back confirmed his fears, it was a herd of the deer-like grimm known as Blackharts and not a particularly small one either and they were starting to gain fast. There was no way they'd be able to outrun them for long and Cronan could only see them getting overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, he cursed his luck and focused on formulating some kind of solution when he spotted what looked to be a person heading towards their direction. "Heyy!!!" he screamed out hoping to get their attention, he didn't know if the three of them would be able to pull it off, but the odds would be higher than if it was just him and Sable.

Last edited:
~Sable Marigold~
Current location: Emerald Forest, More and More Trees

Sable blinked at Cronan as he explained his Semblance, shaking his head in amazement. "Okay, that's just cheating." He finally said, then laughed. "Then again, most semblances are cheating if you think about it, aren't they? I mean, I can teleport, you can blow things up, I know at least one person who can bend metal with super strength, the list goes on."

As Cronan made to reply to Sable's plan, the faunus noticed his partner react to something and aim his bow. Quickly Sable turned to look at the subject, noticing the Basan standing there and cursing loudly. He did as Cronan commanded, closing his eyes and covering his ears quickly. However, there was one difficulty that Sable couldn't make up for, and that was having three ears, rather then two. Thinking quickly, he covered his cat ear, which was more sensitive then a human ear, and hoped for the best.

The light the Basan let out wasn't so bad due to the early warning, but the screech hurt, and left his ears ringing from the sound. The subsequent explosion didn't help either, leaving Sable temporarily deaf, unable to hear a single thing other than ringing. Cursing loudly again, Sable turned to Cronan, seeing the man's lips moving but hearing no sound. After a moment of awkward speaking Cronan began dashing away. Taking this as a cue to leave, Sable followed, dashing under and over several obstacles. "I cant hear a thing!" He yelled at the top of his lungs, still unable to hear his own words in order to confirm if that's what he actually said. He was very glad he'd trained extensively now, as his nimble agility was greatly needed here. Of course, since he couldn't hear a thing right now Sable was relying on Cronan to guide him, flowing his fellow hunter as he desperately hoped for help to arrive.

Ending location: Emerald Forest, Trees and Grimm!

Last edited:
~Sumire Yamashita~
-- Flow --

Starting Status
Condition:
Nominal
Wearing: Color-coord outfit 1
Carrying: MABB Kofude, Utility Belt

---

Well, you did take care of it, didn’t you?” Oceanos grinned. Then he frowned. “How did you know the tree would hit that Ursa, though?”, he asked while the two of the were moving again.

"Huh? Oh," Sumire replied, bringing the bolt handle forward and down with a audible click. "Um... it's... kind of hard to explain, but I can like... see how things are going to move and fit together in an area. So if I aim Kofude," she continued, doing so, "I can see where the bullet will go, and if that bullet's going to hit a tree, then i can see how the tree would react, and... well, how it will fall," she ended sheepishly, gesturing towards the flattened Ursa. "Um... it also helps with trying to draw a scene. I'd show you some of my sketches if we were back at the academy, but well..." she trailed off with, wordlessly holstering her weapon and quietly following along behind Oceanos.

Not even five minutes later, they heard more rustling bushes. Oceanos groaned. “Gosh, seriously? Can’t we just get that stupid relic, go back and get some sleep without constantly stumbling over Grimm?

Sumi remained silent, already beginning to move off the path to slip behind a nearby boulder. As she watched, Oceanos began to reach for his weapons, but seemed to halt halfway through, and a moment later two more students became visible.

Oh. Not Grimm. Hello there! I’m Oceanos and reeeaaally want to get this over with quickly. Wanna find some relics together?”, the large boy asked, much more cheerful than a moment ago, looking at the two of them.

From behind her rock, Sumire peeked out timidly, her eyes scanning over the newcomers: One was a small blonde girl, wearing a t-shirt and skirt in a coord that somewhat resembled her own aesthetic choices-wait are those gills? A closer look revealed that while indeed the other girl was wearing a headband atop her head, the set of softly waving protuberances and their feathery edges were not part of the decoration and in fact, were freely moving about in the forest air.

Next to her was a tall boy with long black hair worn in a pony-tail. Man, there seems to be a pattern going on with partners here... His outfit screamed wilderness, and the axe that accompanied him did little to dissuade Sumi from this presumption. But as she caught a good look at his face, a strange familiarity struck her, one that drew her out of her position to draw closer and scrutinize his form, much as she had Oceanos. "Um... have we met before?" she asked the dark-haired boy.

After some moments of introducing themselves, the four headed off again. Some ten minutes later, they reached a very sudden edge of the forest, which was not even thirty meters away from a large chasm. A short discussion followed, with Sumi showing off the pictures she had taken previously, before the group started to go left along said chasm. At an otherwise unremarkable spot, Oceanos suddenly stopped in place, grumbling “Great." Sumi looked over at him, quizzically, but trusting her partner's instincts she begun to take caution. “I am very afraid to say that someth-“, he continued, before swallowing a bit of his own saliva and starting to cough violently. As Sumi turned to look, she rapidly discovered what had caught him like surprise: a spider-like Grimm creature the size of an average house had jumped out of the chasm. She let out a slight scream of fear before regaining her senses and reaching for Kofude, the barrel snapping into place as she brought the sights up to the beast.

---

Starting Status
Condition:
Nominal
Wielding: MABB Kofude, Rifle mode
Carrying: Utility Belt

Raine Olympia

Stepping into the forest Raine gave a haphazard glance at the compass on her watch, trying to figure out what direction she had come from in order to make it back to the starting point. It appeared she needed to head south-east to reach the starting point, which was the direction she was currently headed.

She was distracted from her compass as a bright light shone through the branches some distance away. Raine winced, the light was incredibly bright even from this distance. She held up her shield to cover the light. A horrific screech quickly followed the light, and then the unmistakable boom of an explosion.
From the sounds of it, some of the other students must be having a fight. Raine grinned ear to ear, that was the kind of excitement she needed after dealing with the annoying guy. Her shield still raised Raine slowly walked forward towards the sound. With this much light, she genuinely wondered if she’d be able to use her semblance on it; but she didn’t want to waste time trying things out. The explosion seemed to have disrupted the screeching and the light; but Raine heard the echoing roars of Grimm, alerted by the loud noise.

“Heyy!!!”

Raine lowered her shield and looked in the direction of the cry. A tanned man in a fluffy hood and a starkly white man were sprinting towards her; a herd of Blackhearts on their trail and gaining fast. They must have been the ones causing the commotion.

Raine gave a cocky guffaw and smirked, That’s what you get for making that sort of racket.

Her grin faded and her shoulders relaxed. The tanned man seemed to have been beckoning to her for assistance. Rain temporarily planted Stytryx in the ground and turned to the nearest tree placing her hands on the trunk and activating her semblance. She then proceeded to spin the trunk like a corkscrew; the sides of it bending inwards and twisting so that the whole tree was now supported by wood thinner than Raines's arm.

She picked up her spear and readied herself, calling out to the men.

“If you can’t avoid this, you don’t deserve to go to beacon!!”

The tip of the spear swung clean through the narrow log, cleaving it at it’s narrowest point. In the same motion, Stytryx extended, guided by Raines's hand and shot up to the centre of the trunk, wrapping itself around it. Continuing the motion Raine spun in a pirouette, the tree was suddenly jolted from its perch by the whip. Spinning in an arc Raine bent the shape of her whip launching the huge log soaring horizontally over her head towards the two huntsmen-in-training and the herd.

With a flick of her wrist, the lasso untangled itself and the tree hurtled forward towards the group. Raine only watched on in glee, bringing Stytryx back to its spear form and entering her combat stance.

Aleph Null Aleph Null Puppernickel Puppernickel

"Don't forget about me, yeah!?" Spinel called out from the sky.

How rude of his partner to have just run off by themselves. He'll teach her to pay heed of his skill. He descended upon a large herd of grimm that had attempted to surround some of the other initiates. He casted a few distortion fields that trapped some of the frontliners that approached, using them to wall off the rest of the group behind them. Now it's time to style on them. He fired into the bubbles, plinking onto the tops of them. He rolled into his landing, coming to a stop in front of the three he'd come to 'rescue' (he was sure they could handle themselves though). His stance turned upright, and he sunk Sun Dial into the ground.

"Fellas," He addressed the two he'd yet to meet, before turning to Raine. "Partner."

The bubbles dissipated, and the arrows he fired met their targets. They disintegrated instantaneously. That was eight, but there was a still a rather big group left, upwards of thirty. How did such a big herd manifest? It wasn't a good sign, but Spinel was more worried about the more immediate consequences than anything.

"You guys mind helping me out with the rest of this?"

~Sable Marigold~
Current location: Emerald Forest, Trees and Grimm

Sable ran alongside Cronan, watching the path ahead as they fled from the army of Grimm behind them. When he saw a rainbow haired girl ahead of them he nearly let out a sigh of relief. That relief became confusion when she quite literally twisted the tree, almost as if it was some piece of taffy. When she yelled Sable heard her voice faintly, and was pretty sure it was some form of warning. Before he could take a guess as to what that warning was for, however, the girl flung the tree at them.

His eyes widened in shock and Sable immediately Shattered, teleporting himself further forward and away from harm as he continued to run, not stopping till he'd reached the rainbow haired girl. "Thanks for the assist!" He shouted to her at the top of his lungs, just about able to hear his own words clearly as he whipped around. Pulling out Jasmine in one hand and Elizabeth in the other, he took a stance next to her, watching the Grimm approach with glee. Now that there was backup, they didn't have to run anymore, and thus.... he could fight.

When the other man rolled down in front of them, Sable paid him no mind whatsoever, instead aiming his gun and firing a shot at a Grimm. The Grimm immediately fell, it's head covered in ice due to the Ice Dust in the gun's chamber. He calmly fired several more times, each shot resulting in either a dead Grimm or a weighed down Grimm.

Glancing over at the new guy's question, he snorted. "Please, feel free to assist. More then enough for everyone!" He shouted at him, grinning widely.

Ending location: Emerald Forest, Tress and Less Grimm

Direct: Aleph Null Aleph Null HerculePyro HerculePyro Yakov011001 Yakov011001

Isern had been walking for a short while, having walked through many bushes on his quest to find the relics that he was going to find by walking in a random direction. When he poked his head out of one such bush, he saw two more people standing in the clearing that was just on the other side. "Oh, hello," he said as he pulled himself the rest of the way through the bush, doing his best to stamp it down so Clementine would have an easier time walking through.

He listened to the two as they introduced themselves. "I'm Isern, and I also want to get out of here as quick as we can. Guess we'll have to find 2 sets of relics then." He said to the taller of the two, who had introduced himself as Oceanius. He then turned to the girl who asked if they had met before. "I don't think so?" But having said that, there was a nagging feeling in the back of his mind that he in fact had seen her before even though he hadn't heard her name before.

Pleasantries having been traded and a direction decided on, the newly formed group of four set off. Some time later, they reached an impassable chasm. With no way across, they began walking around to look for a way across. And almost as soon as they began, Oceanius muttered something and pulled out his weapons, with Sumire doing the same. Isern briefly wondered why that was, until a large Grimm jumped out of the chasm they were trying to cross.

He didn't bother figuring out how the other two just seemed to know it was going to be there. He didn't have the time or brain power to try and figure that out. But he did know that the thing in front of him would gladly rip him in half, and that his axe would stop the thing from doing that. So he took his axe off his back and held it in both his hands. And without thinking, something he does quite regularly, he charges it.

<Cronan Dracula>

Interactions: Puppernickel Puppernickel | HerculePyro HerculePyro | Yakov011001 Yakov011001

The hearty laugh that erupted from the pastel-haired girl and the smirk that followed soon after gave Cronan the impression that she was either looking forward to the fight that was about to ensue, laughing at the situation he and sable had found themselves in or maybe even both. It didn't really matter to him though, help is help after all or at least that's what he thought her intentions until she suddenly sent a tree flying their way and going off to claim that if they couldn't avoid it that they didn't deserve to go to Beacon, which didn't exactly rub him the best of ways. Cronan was alerted by the sound of glass shattering behind him and assumed that Sable had used his semblance to get out of harm's way.

Cronan cleared his minds of all thoughts and zeroed in one the incoming object and leapt into the air, twirling up and over the log and landing a bit haphazardly but on his feet nonetheless. He quickly rushed to the side of the girl and sable and aimed his bow at the oncoming horde of grimm. He was taken by surprise when a voice rang out from the sky above them and some of the grim were stopped in their tracks by some sort of distortion that he assumed to be the work of the newcomer's semblance only to then meet a swift end soon after by a shower of arrows. There's four of us now? Maybe I wasn't as unlucky as I thought.

"T-thanks, I thought we might have actually ended up as goners back there" Cronan spoke up letting his gratitude be known while also choosing to ignore the previous comment made by before throwing that log. He drew back his bow fired off an arrow that found its home inside a skull of one of the blackhearts. He then proceeded to shoot arrow after arrow into the fray, most hitting their intended target while some found themselves buried into the sides of grim or lodged into the ground near them. It wasn't a moment later that a chain of miniature explosions went off one after the other, tearing apart anything caught within the vicinity of the blasts.

Raine chuckled as the two approaches managed to avoid her attack, the tree slammed hard into the first row of oncoming blackharts; but the followers were quickly jumping over the obstacle, their course not wavering.
Her smile dropped as her “partner” made his way to their little group. How he had gotten above her, she didn’t know. The ranged fighters quickly began peppering the hoard putting several of the oncoming grimm down. Raine growled in annoyance.

“Ugh," Raine scoffed. "Fighting from range is so dull. Where’s the fun in the fight if you aren’t risking your head?” She said, mostly to herself.

“You two, Crash and Boomboy, go down the cliff behind us and get your relic. Smartass, go down the cliff and die. This few grimm is hardly even a challenge!-

With that, Raine darted forward, sprinting full speed at the approaching antlers. To the others, it may have looked like Raine tripped as her foot slid out in front of her but it was actually a controlled slide. Her Shield held in front of her and Stytryx behind, Raine slid underneath the hooves of the deer, her semblance radiating from her spear she cut sharply around her in a wide circle Bending the legs of the Blackharts backwards.

All the grimm around her suddenly fell down, their legs unable to support them. Raine got to her feet as quick as she could into a bracing stance, taking the next charging buck in the head with the tip of her spear. Raine then stood fully, a momentary gap in the grimm surrounding her. She allowed Stytryx to extend to its full length, it’s many dust blades popping out. One of the grimm at her side had managed to turn and it’s head collided with Raine, but her armour held true; she responded with a firm backhand with her shield arm.

Standing tall, Raine twirled Stytryx over her head, then with a loud cry swung it around the many blades of the weapon cut into the heads and antlers of the surrounding grimm; ordinarily not enough to injure them, but with each cut the blades ‘detonated’.
A multicoloured explosion shook the trees as Blackharts all around Raine were blasted backwards by fire, lightning, ice and more. As the dust cleared Raine still stood; though her aura had taken a big hit, Raine only grinned wider as she wiped some residue off of her cheek, ready for the next attack.

Aleph Null Aleph Null Puppernickel Puppernickel Yakov011001 Yakov011001

Kingdom of Vale – Vale city – Chasm next to Emerald Forest, East of the relics – Clementine, Isern, Sumire, Oceanos (and The Nope)

Both Sumire and Isern appeared to look at each other closely; Sumi asked the boy whether they had already met in the past which he denied, not sounding 100 percent sure. However, they did not have very much time for talking; Oceanos did find the appearance of a gigantic spider Grimm to act as strong conversation breaker. Oceanos never had seen such a thing before – not that he was that well-versed in all the various species that they came in.

A scream sounded from Sumi before she grabbed her weapon while Isern had immediately taken his axe and charged it. Clementine seemed to be momentarily paralyzed by shock; by the time she regained control of herself, Oceanos had launched several attacks, but every time, his chakrams bounced harmlessly off the incredibly durable chitin-like armor protecting it. Isern’s attack had first drawn the attention of the Grimm – even though it had not been any more successful -, but after it attacked the guy once with its pincers, showing a speed that belied its size and sent him flying, it focused on Oceanos and spat a glob of a greenish fluid at him. Oceanos rolled to the side to dodge; the fluid burst on the ground, not only producing a terribly vile smell that almost knocked him unconscious but also started to make a hissing sound; some dried moss on the rock dissolved immediately.
Acid? Really?
When both Sumire and Clementine also started shooting at the Grimm, it rewarded them by sending another couple of globs their direction, then proceeded to focus on Isern who had gotten up again.

“Are you alright?”, Oceanos yelled while repeatedly sending his chakrams at every part of the spider that he could see – some part of it had to be vulnerable. He did not know if Isern and Clementine had been in a previous fight, too; hopefully, their aura levels were not already drained.

In the next moment, the Grimm recoiled and gave off a horrible shrieking sound – it seemed as if one of Clementine’s blow darts had managed to hit the area above its pincers where many small eyes were placed.

“Good job, you hit it! Let’s foc-“, Oceanos started, then almost started choking again when the spider performed a seemingly impossible jump, landed with force in the middle of Clementine, Sumi and Oceanos and sent the boy flying. While his aura protected him from the collision of a nearby rock, he was dizzy for a moment and his chakrams flew off course; thankfully, none of them landed in the chasm – unlike Clementine. With a shriek that was all too human, the girl was knocked into the air. Oceanos’ eyes went wide; almost in slow-motion, he stretched out his hand and sent his aura toward her to catch her, but she had already vanished behind the edge of the abyss. Oceanos stared at the point where she had last been visible, still not realizing what had happened.

Kingdom of Vale – Vale city – Chasm next to Emerald Forest, East of the relics – Sumire, Isern, Oceanos (and The Nope)

Isern wasn't paying much attention to the others, he was to focused on dodging the pincers, mandibles, and whatever else this disgusting thing had to swing at him. His vast reserves of Aura protecting him from what he couldn't dodge, the sheer amount of the spiritual energy causing the attacks to bounce off him rather than the other way around. However, with one particularly strong blow, it managed to send him flying. His flight stopped by a tree, Isern collects himself and takes stock of the situation. They were down one, didn't know what happened, but where there was four there was now three. And he was the only one getting close to the thing. On top of that, they seemed to be doing very little to it. This frustrated the Faunus. Something had to happen, there had to be a spot somewhere. He saw some black ichor coming from one of it's eyes, but he doubted he could get close enough to it to attack that spot, let alone want to get that close to it. This frustration caused him to skip from stage Black to Blue, bypassing yellow completely and ending up in the more aggressive of the stages. And without waiting, he blasted himself back into combat, a trail of blue fire now following the swings of his axe as he aggressively hacked at the beast.

~Sumire Yamashita~
-- The Threads of Fate --

Starting Status
Condition:
Nominal

---

As Isern and Oceanos moved in to engage the creature at close and medium range respectively, Sumire held her fire to avoid hitting the melee fighters of the ad-hoc team. Instead she watched carefully through her gunsights, waiting for their patterns to open up enough for her to attack. When the creature suddenly reared back to attack, she lowered her rifle momentarily, unsure of what it was about to do, only for it to wheel about and slam into Isern with its pincers. She watched as the boy was lifted off his feet and sent flying into a nearby tree with a sickening thud, and for a moment she was worried he'd been taken out in a single hit. Thankfully as he rose to his feet, a glimmer of stern determination in his eyes, it was clear that he was still in the fight, and she let go a breath she hadn't even realized she'd been holding.

Okay Sumi, focus. You need to do your part. With Isern knocked away from the beast and Oceanos rolling clear as he avoided whatever bile the creature had chosen to spit up upon him, now was her moment to act. Round after round was sent flying at the beast, but to the violet-haired artist's dismay, every single projectile bounced off the thick chitinous shell with little more effect than Isern and Oceanos's earlier assault. She stared wide-eyed at her complete lack of potency, before she was shocked back to reality by a counter barrage of more of the vile acid from earlier. Her semblance flared to life almost on reflex, and as her aura drained rapidly, she had just enough time to dive to cover behind a fallen log before the area was sprayed green.

Crap! Sumire thought in a panic as the air around her was filled with the hissing of acid dissolution. Even the log she had hidden herself behind was starting to look a little worse for the wear, the hollowed out structure beginning to break away to reveal the girl taking refuge behind it. All my shots are barely doing anything while this thing is spitting "turn me into a puddle" juice! What do I do? Her partner's yell for her snapped her out of her frightened state, and she responded back in an adrenaline-fueled yell: "I'm alive! I'm seriously reconsidering my choice of education but I'm alive!" She began reloading, knowing this fight had only begun, before slowly peeking over her cover.

A shriek from the beast pierced the air seemingly without cause, until Sumire looked carefully and spotted a blow dart lodged deep in one of the Nope's crevices, piercing one of its many eyes that peeked through. "Good shot Clemen-!" Her congratulation was quickly cut short as the massive Grimm leapt straight into the middle of their group, sending all three of the nearby Hunter candidates flying. Sumire was blown into the branches of a tree, crashing through the thinner limbs and coming to a halt doubled in half over a much larger one. Her aura staved off the brunt of the impact but she could feel her reserves running low; she had never been good at taking hits, and her earlier panic use of her Semblance had taken a heavy toll already. But still, her fate was downright desirable compared to that of Clementine's: as Sumire slowly recovered, she watched the Faunus girl sail into the chasm that the the gargantuan beast had emerged from, a terrified scream of "CLEMENTINE!" all that Sumi could do as the girl disappeared.

Damnit! Not already! This can't be happening already!

She forced herself to shove her thoughts to the back of her head as the team's desperate fight for survival continued. Clambering onto the branch that had arrested her motion, she made her way towards the trunk to take up a elevated firing position. She didn't want to think of it this way, but Clementine's first and final gift to them might have been what they needed to turn the tides; from her treetop perch, she shouted "AIM FOR THE EYES OVER THE PINCERS!" Then, with trembling hands and vengeance in her eyes, she sent a volley of rounds directed straight towards the beast, the blow dart acting as a target for her aim.

---

Ending Status
Condition:
Injured

Last edited:
~Sable Marigold~
Current location: Emerald Forest, Trees and Plenty of Grimm.

Sable heard the girl's comments, raising an eyebrow as she dashed into the fray. Go and get his relic? Not likely, not with this many Grimm ready and waiting to be taken down. He grinned broadly, using his semblance and Shattering and appearing in the branches of a tree further ahead. From his new vantage point he continued laying down surpressing fire with his gun, crippling several Grimm who were going after the rainbow haired girl and thus preventing them from reaching her before she could get them.

After downing a few more basic Grimm, Sable decided that he was tired of long ranged fighting and switched tactics. Putting his gun away, he yanked out his swords again and jumped from the tree, landing on an Ursa and stabbing it through the skull. Before the body had even hit the ground Sable glanced around and Shattered, appearing next to a Beowolf that he calmly stabbed through the face, twirling around and slicing the throat of another one. When an Ursa made to swipe at Sable he jumped up into the air and made several quick cuts at its face, causing the Ursa to roar in rage. The distraction gave him enough time for Sable to dash away out of danger, and Sable went about continuing his rampage. Stabbing, slicing, cutting, nicking, he rarely killed a Grimm as he fought, but he wounded them and frustrated them, making it easier for Raine and the others to kill them as they focused on Sable.

However, while hit and run tactics were Sable's speciality, they could only do so well, and he had never faced so many opponents before. He was getting tired, and he knew it. The last straw for his delicate dance was when Raine caused the Grimm around her to fly away, sending them back with a large explosion. Fortunately for him, Sable wasn't in the blast radius. Unfortunately, he was distracted by the explosion and didnt notice the Blackhart rushing him until just a second too late, his reflexes not given enough time to react before the Blackhart stabbed him in the gut with its antlers.

Sable's eyes went wide as he felt searing pain, but he had enough mentality left to think, if barely. Formulating something resembling a plan, Sable glanced over at where Cronan was standing and Shattered, reappearing next to his partner with a loud gasp. Sable looked down and noticed the deep wound the Blackhart's antler had left in him. His vision was swimming with pain, yet surprisingly enough... he felt calm. At peace, even.

"Ha... ha... so you were right, dad. Wasn't ready. F-figures." He coughed, blood coming up as he gave Cronan a small smirk. Standing up straight despite the pain, he gave Cronan a salute with one of his blades. Sable then sheathed his swords, pulling out his gun and aiming at the Grimm before opening fire on them. He stayed near Cronan best he could, not leaving his partners side as he felt his life draining from his body with every passing second.

"Well, since I'm probably going to die here, how about I... answer your question? I became a Huntsmen because... dad said I wasn't ready. Said I would die in initiation if I went. Funny, isnt it? He was right." He chuckled, coughing up still more blood as he began to slow down in his movements, his breathing becoming labored. Yet he did not slow his fire, and as the pain numbed his accuracy became better, several lesser Grimm dying in a quick burst of fire.

After a moment of not saying anything, Sable chuckled and gave Cronan a side long look. "Say, Cronan. Do me a favor, would you? There's... an old friend of mine. Her name's Sumire Yamashita, and she's part of the initiation. I was wondering... mind giving her Elizabeth and the girls for me? The gun and swords, that is. Please I would appreciate it. And if there's trouble finding the blades, make sure she at least gets Elizabeth, would you? So she can remember... the silly fuanus who listened to her... complain about her family. That's my dying wish...if you need it to be, or care about those."

With a cheeky grin and a slowly dying mirth in his eyes, Sable tossed the now empty gun to Cronan, yanking his swords back out as he found a final reserve of strength inside of himself, one last push. Laughing loudly, he dashed forward, hacking and slashing at several surprised Blackharts. "Come on then ya mangy flee ridden slabs of degenerate meat, come at me!!! I've faced rabbits with more terror in them then you lot!" He roared out at the Grimm, taking several on at once as his vision began to blur and his Aura swiftly depleted from repeated strikes.

It wasn't long before one got him, a Blackhart once more getting him with its antlers. This time, Sable stabbed both of his swords down into the Grimm and activated the Dust inside the blades, shoving what was left of his Aura into it as well. There was an explosion as Ice and Fire Dust mixed and collided, fueled by the dying ember of a man who was, frankly put, amused and content. The last thought Sable had as he left this life was hope that everyone could forgive him for being so selfish as to welcome his death, and the rest it brought him.

Ending location: Emerald Forest, Trees and Less Grimm. Also, Minus one Faunus Boy.

Direct: Aleph Null Aleph Null Yakov011001 Yakov011001 HerculePyro HerculePyro

Mention: PixelSymphony PixelSymphony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back