• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom RWBY Red Desert Dawn

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Flavian grinned as the bombastic professor led them into a jump over the edge of the platform, a laugh echoing forth from him as he joined her in making the leap onto the dock. Rolling as he landed, he winced slightly as a jolt of pain originated from his shoulder. Must have pulled a muscle when I was pulling that girl back onto the ship, what a pain. He thought, rolling the shoulder in question and feeling it pop and crack in a satisfying way. As they followed the teacher he looked around with interest, taking in the sights of the academy and idly noting entrances and exits as well as a rough layout of their path.

As they separated from the rest of the aspirants his eyes narrowed slightly and he paid much more attention to their path and began to wonder what they were doing being led away. Being ushered into the classroom, his worry grew even more and was increased further by their introduction to the Headmaster of the academy. It was only as said headmaster seemed to be more interested in the Grimm that they had encountered than he had expected.

“Well, names Flavian Conway. I was born in Mistral and lived there up until I got old enough to go to a combat school, ended up at Obscuro and that’s where I’ve been since!” Flavian grinned as he spoke, taking a seat and leaning it back onto two legs. “But that thing would have given third years trouble? It just seemed like a giant pain cause of the herd of Beowulves but other than that and being able to tank a ton of damage it didn’t seem to be to bad of a grimm to fight!”

Lilly let out a low whistle as the ship moored itself by the school, the majesty of the building contrasting its dry, rugged surroundings, but ultimately framing the scene well. Perhaps the most impressive example of what counted as architecture in Vacuo.

Faced with Rumpole's assertiveness, Lilly wasted little time. Making sure that Southern Comfort and her few other possessions were firmly secured, she stepped on the edge of the deck, and leapt off with nary a flourish. The imposing building and the mass of humanity before her left her in no mood to flourish; a new phase of her life was beginning, a new path towards her goals of heroism.

Rumpole herding them like sheep past the other aspirants, through the halls of the building, only added to her anxiety. If she was careless, it almost felt like the walls were closing in. The life of a hunter, or even an aspirant, was very different from that of a wanderer, riding wild and free, taking the fights you were ready for and galloping away from the ones you didn't want. A hunter was supposed to be better. Dutiful. That would be her future, and she had to hold on to it for the sake of her responsibility.

The dynamic entrance of the man who was the headmaster gave her a deep breath, relieving her concerns somewhat. All she, and they, needed to do was tell the truth. She wasn't too bad at that, now was she?

"Salutations, sir." Lilly reached up to her brow, as if tipping her hat. "I'm Lilly Belle-Ringer, mah parents were miners up north. Been ridin' round these parts for a while now, helpin' who needs helpin'. Figure ah could do that but better if ah became a hunter fer real. As for that nasty piece a' lumber, ah don't have too much to say. That's what happens when everyone keeps their head down, does their job. Ah kept mah distance, drove off the boarders. Never got a clear look at the tree. Ya might wanna ask the big fiery guy in armor, or fancy lady with the big sword. There was an android-typa girl too."

She concluded with that just in time for Laipei to begin her projection.

“Mister Conway allow me to adjust your expectations for the world. A normal first year is expected to be able to handle a pack of beowolves or a singular Ursa, and not much more than that. Just your takedown of the alpha wolves was noteworthy however still within the bounds of the ordinary.” Theodore explains and stands up, now full on in teacher mode. His gauntlets flicker as the smartboard in the corner floats over and he displays an image.

AVvXsEjcf6BBQkA2Uan5aaSzv_OyFC8P1gY1PGRSfiuxLb5FXRtGs2R1ZECxzqQ_XyRYy_EOe9ELQsjpKzKoUNX7kOgSucTyoxaX7iML4J8csVkI665gVrKAse-ydO52sR78Q_A4WLOFkYdh5IUDFm1fpyQMnzOts20ZvD3kRptP4ODw8qt5kq5MPsdAaXLZPA=s1121

“To take on this on the other hand, is not. The Hangman Tree, even as a sprout, should be singing a soft, dreadful tune to attack your very minds with an unnatural sense of tranquillity and lethargy much like Apathies. By its nature if you hear it sing, you immediately ignore it. They are also usually located in either the Great Jungle up north as they prefer to disguise themselves among native plantlife. This allows them to strike at night when their victims are asleep, either hypnotised by the song or just resting, with the intent to strangle their victims quietly with their vines. The very fact it was completely silent would be enough to pique interest, but to encounter one growing on a ship? There is a reason we're basically debriefing everyone on board this is a completely new development! I will be sure to add a full lesson on them later in the year. Back to your tales, do continue.” he says.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance Miss Belle-Ringer. We are more than happy to have you here. Take note the captain is a friend of mine, so staying on board was very much appreciated." he nods at Lilly.

He arcs an eyebrow at Laipei's projection, but motions for her to continue.

MARS PALLATOR

The enormous student rumbles, a sort of grumbly sound that somewhat conveys agreement with the Professor.

"Its deadliness is proverbial. I have heard many stories of it. However, for various reasons, it was quite weaker than the stories attested to."

There's a beat as Mars comes to realize he had never actually introduced himself.

"... Mars Pallator. I am from an Oasis."

Alba Winterbourne
Mentions:
Everyone technically.

Alba's arrival at Shade Academy marked the end of the eventful trip. The beautiful ancient stone palace, topped with a modern CCT tower, glowed in the sunlight. As they drew near, Alba observed the mix of modern and ancient architecture in Vacuo City, a visual representation of the city's strange nature.

Captain Morris hoisted a signal flag, signaling the end of their journey. Alba couldn't help but feel a sense of accomplishment, mingled with exhaustion, as the ship docked. The visible damage from the earlier events drew the attention of many. A teacher's commanding voice broke the silence, urging the students to disembark. Professor Rumpole, the sandy-haired teacher, welcomed them to Shade, albeit with a mischievous twist. Alba opted to wait for the ship to dock before disembarking, knowing her luck she'd end up injuring herself.

Alba followed the group, her steps light but her thoughts focused. It became evident that they were being taken to their own separate room, isolated from the other aspirants. Professor Rumpole, after providing instructions, didn't enter the room herself, leaving Alba with a sense of curiosity.

Before she could settle in, a distinguished gentleman, the headmaster she guessed, made an entrance with theatrical flair. Alba listened intently as he explained their task: to start from the beginning and introduce themselves. The headmaster's interest in hearing about the aspirants' experiences with the Hangman's Tree Grimm piqued Alba's curiosity.

As the others began sharing their backgrounds, Laipei didn't hesitate to use her unique devices to cast a video from her perspective. Alba watched the video, fascinated by her friend's abilities. Next, Flavian Conway introduced himself, sharing his background and experience in combat school. Alba observed the exchange, finding Flavian's confidence and experiences intriguing. Lily was next, and the first thing Alba tried to piece together was her distinct accent, unlike anything she had heard before. Finally, Mars introduced himself, and Alba couldn't help but ponder what kind of diet led to his massive stature.

Alba then found herself in a quandary, considering whether to share her experience with the Grimm. As others continued sharing, she decided to provide her account. "Alba Winterbourne of the Winterbourne Armory in Atlas. My theory is that it was already weakened when we engaged, which is why it wasn't, or more likely couldn't sing. However, I have no proof of this, and I arrived late, so I didn't witness its original state."

Mare Orcinus
Seeing the gawkers at the dock Mare lapped up the attention and waved regally at the onlookers, glancing up at the signal flag she smirked making a mental note to take advantage of it later.

"As you say Professor That Demon." She quipped to the teacher that arrived to fetch them before going to grab a cluster of suitcases bound together with several bungee cords, hefting the bundle with unnatural ease she hopped off the ship along with a few of the other students that were feeling a bit more spry. Entering the classroom she dropped her things with a slight sigh of relief and fought the urge to lean against one of the desks and remain standing tall, while she had a lot of experience using her semblance repeatedly it was starting to get a bit much even for her.

Seeing an older man drift in on the breeze Mare was fairly sure he was the headmaster Theodore Tuscan despite his lack of introduction based on a view pictures she'd seen from Shade. "Fine, take all the flair out of the retelling why don't you." She huffed as the chatty mech started playing a video recording of the battle though she quickly smiled again at being referred to as 'fancy lady with the big sword'.

"Mare Orcinus at your service, some of you may be familiar with the name." Stepping forward she introduced herself with false modesty. "I'm from Vacuo of course but spent a fair portion of the last several years travelling and while I never fought anything that ghastly there's still plenty of grimm to found at sea." Fishing the letter out of her pocket she held it between two fingers. "I got by far the closest look at the thing while landing the killing blow and it certainly wasn't anywhere near as well protected as that one." She gestured at the image then held up the letter. "Unless those terribly out of tune wails once it was on fire or had my blade embedded in it were intended to be singing it seemed incapable of that particular party trick, I retrieved this from the remains of the ship's captain and other unfortunate crew members that it had consumed." Crossing her arms she frowned thoughtfully. "There was also...something else I saw inside it but it disintegrated like a grimm corpse before I could see it clearly."

Pain crossed Cedric's arms as he unleashed his white hole launching others towards the ship so they could catch it so to speak, and they did. His semblance helped a few people across and he was happy with that result.

With pain in his arms, Cedric retrieves one of the floating thingies near him and pulls himself up onto the deck just as someone rips out a hatch from the boat. Cedric walked to where he placed his bag and on the way gave back Laipei her floating thingy, while saying to the female sailor. “Maybe next time I can teach ya’ but most of it is based on instinct anyway so not much I can do for ya’. ”

Cedric at first ignored his scroll and just walked to his bag where he took out some meds and bandages to put himself back together, only after doing so he checked his scroll. “Well, I’ll be damned a tour by the Headmaster himself. I’ve gotta see that.” He waited a bit for the meds to work so they could lessen the pain caused by his semblance, which was weird enough since the damage caused by it ignored his aura. When the meds kicked in he grabbed his bag and threw it over his shoulder and returned to the deck of the ship, where he helped others to patch themselves up.

“Good luck taking a nap now with all those pain grunts. But you do you.” Exclaimed Cedric as he saw a familiar figure go to sleep on the deck.

Time passed and the journey ended, but Cedric saw something or rather someone bearing resemblance to something he wished not to see here, so before moving further he walked up to one of the male sailors and gave them a wad of Lien while telling him. “Do you want to earn some extra money? If so we shall switch jackets and you go talk to that guy and distract him for a bit, we have a bit of bad blood between ourselves and I don’t want to fight it out right now.” The young sailor whom Cedric spoke to simply took the money, swapped jackets with him, and walked off towards the one Cedric wanted to avoid within the group of aspirants. So while they were distracted he vaulted over the rail and dropped to the ground to roll the impact off, now on the ground he walked behind Professor Rumpole towards their goal while trying to hide his existence from that one person.

Now with his little group in one room where they should meet with the principal Cedric sat down and rested till his arrival which truthfully he didn’t rest for long as it appears he called a wolf out of a forest, or in this case a pirate out of the sea. But at the mention of introductions the ears on Cedric’s head laid down, he had to think of something quick he couldn’t give them his real name at least not a full one, so he decided to use his mentor's surname for his turn was close. Cedric only managed to jot down in his head the names of his ‘classmates’ before his turn came up so he did his usual spill of info while trying to hide the more ‘interesting stuff’.

“Cedric Fenri, I’m a local and I hail from the mountainside down west from here, albeit I lived in a town-ish settlement halfway to here. Orphan if that cannot be seen, and yes Headmaster I was picked up, raised, and taught by one of the retired professors from your academy. As for the Grimm, I didn’t see it up close but from what I was taught it might have been a variant or just a young one of its species, after all most of them we find are quite old by the time we find them as they normally hide within forests and such.” Cedric got his gears turning and his hamster running in turbo trying to process all the info they gathered, sure he wasn’t smart but neither was he dumb, something didn’t add up.
“Mare, you said that you saw something disintegrate like a Grimm corpse inside it… We know it didn’t wail as it should, so maybe there was another Grimm there infighting between them two could lead to it being weakened before we came, but it wouldn’t explain why it only disappeared as the other died.” Said Cedric while trying to make sense of that situation fully but this amount of information wasn't enough, he even began to scratch his head a bit as if to signal that he didn’t understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back