Advice/Help Running D&D 5E Online

Dutch

Ta Reine
I've DM'd for a few years RL with friends. However I've never run an online game. Do people get on mic and play like you would at the table, but it's just online?

Pretty much. Although when we played it we used text chat instead of voice because everyone was in different time zones and it was impossible to gather for live session without forcing people to wake up at 3 am, so we made it easy way and waited for people to reply.
Aside from that, same rules. Maybe it has less immersion than live session, I have nothing to compare to. But in case where you get people from all over the world, it works.

Ah yeah not wanting to deal with text based, that seems cumbersome. I'd definitely need a similar / same timezone group an VC.

Yeah something very immersive with a RL group at a table, but getting mine together this year has been absolute hell. You'd think giving people over a months notice of a session would be enough to make sure we all have that day off and are available . . . but it's been 4 months now and we've had to cancel three times.

I've had really good experiences with dice games run online. On discord we used text as the primary in character communication and kept all ooc chatter and questions on voice, which worked well, especially for days certain people couldn't get on voice but could still play from their phones. So points for reliability, and ease.

But, that doesn't necessarily work for tabletop systems where you're going to use the grid (like tabletop simulator or similar things where your can set that up). I found using the chat system way more awkward to use, and probably would have preferred to use voice chat. Plus, most sites or simulators won't work on a phone anyways, so everyone would have to be by their computer to begin with. So the benefit of being able to text their responses without access to voice is kinda lost.

Basically, it depends how you set it up. With D&D, you'd probably be using a grid of sorts, so most likely it would be easiest to solely use voice chat in my opinion. But I'd imagine it's different strokes for different folks.

Maybe it has less immersion than live session, I have nothing to compare to
It could be the case, and probably is oftentimes. But I think it surely depends on the DM and what he/she brings to the "table".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back