Ronin Corporation Nevereign branch

Mr_DC

Been a while
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Surrounded by tall office building, the Ronin Corporation's Nevereign branch certainly sticks out. The building is almost a perfect cube, significantly shorter than other buildings around it. It is a secure complex, though, with walls almost reaching of the main building. The building itself is nice, clean and white with many, many windows. Ronin Samurai are always walking around the outer side of the wall, their hands resting on the hilts of their swords.

@uesius

"Corporations aren't just looking for suits to work in cubicles. You have no idea how skimpy some of my clothes were on a couple jobs." Jack shook his head. Next time he's rejecting jobs like that. Find someone else. There was little difference between a prostitute who does it for money and a prostitute who does it for information which they sell for money. "I wear this because I enjoy wearing it. If I wanted, I could walk around naked and still keep my job. Well, I'd have to be pretty good at my job to move around unnoticed naked but you get my point." He joked and walked up to the large gate.

The metal gate itself wasn't one of the more modern blast doors which most corporations had on all important sections. They were finishing up plans for upgrading their security but corporations take their time when it came to paperwork. Even a security agency like Ronin when it came to securing themselves.

"Jack." A man standing by the gate said. He appeared to be fully covered with cybernetics, more machine than man. However, a closer inspection would reveal that the black Ronin armor was simply styled that way. Made to resemble the human body as much as possible. The complete opposite from the hulking, red MosTech Enforcers.

"Hey there, boddy." Jack gave him a nod and a wink. He had no idea who the man was but it was simply polite.

"Who is she?" The samurai didn't move from Jack's way even as the gate split in two and moved aside. "Your last guest caused a lot of trouble. Do I have to check with the boss?"

"To be fair, that last guest was here for interrogation. I didn't know he was a hacker. That's why we interrogated him." Jack defended himself. Wasn't his fault that the guy made nearby turrets go frenzy. They insisted that he carried out the interrogation in the office. Abandoned buildings were far safer. "And don't worry about the girl. I owe her lunch." He chuckled and motioned at her. "Does she look like she can do much harm? Trust me, the boss won't have a problem with this." Jack flashed a smile, waiting for a reaction.

With a suspicious murmur, the guard moved aside, continuing his patrol.

Between the walls and the building was a nice garden with green, short grass and small hedges. They were all plastic but made the entire place feel alive. "I have to be honest again..." Jack started walking through the gate. "That's exactly why I invited you for a bite to eat." He looked over his shoulder at the girl with a wide grin on his face.

@Mr_DC

At the mention of his clothes, Kora glanced back over at him, casually wondering what he might look like without any on. She turned her head back forward again, rolling her eyes and snickering at how desperate she had become. Her last relationship had ended rather sourly, after she discovered her boyfriend cheating on her with some bimbo he worked with. It was one of the longest relationships she had been in, and she was nearly certain he was “the one.” Discovering him practically sucking the girl's face off in a closet had been an awful reality check. She had decided she was done with romance, perhaps indefinitely.

She entered the gate and stood as the man talked to some robot. Or, at least it somewhat resembled a robot. It sounded like a human and vaguely looked like one, so Kora wasn't entirely sure. She held her hands behind her back, then figured she was acting too suspicious and set them by her sides, open enough so the guard could see that she had nothing in her hands. She looked back and forth between the man and the guard as they spoke with each other. He spoke so eloquently, with ease that suggested he had known the guard for quite some time. The guard, on the other hand, seemed a little ticked off. But who wouldn't, having to stand around and inspect every guest that arrived? 

At least he had a kick-ass robot suit to hang out in. She wondered what sort of cybernetic abilities it contained. Maybe he had lasers or something fun like that. After he relented and let them through, she turned and waved at him as they walked past. See, I'm perfectly normal, was the mood she was trying to convey. What not-normal person would act so friendly towards a robot-man? What kind of sushi place needs a robot-man to guard it?

This isn't a restaurant. There is no way this is a restaurant,” Kora surveyed her surroundings. She remembered hearing something about an 'interrogation' as they spoke with the guard and she grew paranoid again. “This is a trap, isn't it? God damn it,” she muttered to herself. “You're going to interrogate me now, huh? This is why you brought me here? Listen, I already told you. I had nothing to do with that out there. I swear to god. I'm not some criminal mastermind, or hacker, or whatever. I already told you, I wash dishes. All I could tell you about is how to scrub crusty food off of cheap plates without cracking them, seriously.

She knew there was no way out now. He had her in what she presumed was his home base. If she were to try and dash out, 300 robots would probably be on her before she made it halfway to the door. It'd be easier to just let him do his thing, and if she cooperates, perhaps he'll let her go. “Alright, let's just get this over with, I guess. I'm already here. I've got nothing to hide,” she huffed, frowning at the man's grinning face.

@uesius

Jack stopped, turned and looked at the girl, dead serious expression on his face. Then he burst out laughing. "I'm sorry, it's kind of entertaining to see you panic like this. It's funny because there's no real reason to panic." He explained and started walking to the front door. Double, sliding, glass door. "This isn't a restaurant but the restaurant is a part of the building." He started explaining. "See, this is the local branch of the Ronin Corporation. That big security agency. It's who I work for." He stopped directly in front of the door and a burst of red light scanned him for less than a second. The door opened to a clean, white hallway with small trees in white pots. This was clearly their office. No reason a barracks would be so calming.

"I wasn't exactly completely open about my intentions, though." He said quietly, leading her to some stairs. The elevator was right next to the stairs but it was a quick, effortless exercise to climb up two floors.

"Jack, the boss wants to see you." An Asian man said, walking by. He wore a similar suit as Jack and kept a smile on his face.

"I know, I know." Jack chuckled, carrying on. "The reason I took you here to eat, to Ronin, is because... Well, I think you have something. Something in you." He said, finally reaching the second floor. "I could use a partner. Someone to rely on." He paused and looked at the girl. "That's not you." He said, holding a door open for the girl.

On the other side was the restaurant. It was, like the rest of the building, almost completely white with a few plants thrown about. Jack was at first surprised to see plants in the city since most of them don't live too long but he learned that that was the point. Their plants could live. Even if just the employees got to see it, it was still a morale booster. The small restaurant was about half full, most people in it Asian. Judging by the smell, they weren't only cooking up sushi but fries and burgers as well.

"I know you have what it takes to be my assistant, though." Jack smiled. "You don't seem threatening which you can't really say about me. I know it's a bit strange that I'd offer you a job but I can see it in you. It's a first for me but I can see that you have it." He finished with a smile. Those were similar words his partner told him when he first started working with information. Though, she was a bit more rude about it but her point came across. Hopefully, his did as well.

@Mr_DC

No real reason to panic?” Kora remarked. “See, that's where you're wrong. You weren't the one crouching behind a garbage can after some guy's head exploded, then whisked away by a total stranger only to end up in some weird robot-themed restaurant place.” Though she literally summed up her day thus far, Kora couldn't even believe it. She had lived all of her life in mediocrity, and the universe decides to place a funny prank on her by making all these crazy things happen to her at once. Great joke, excellent execution.

Ronin Corporation. The name sounded vaguely familiar, like maybe Kora had read something about it in the news a long time ago. Business news never excited her; it usually went in one ear and out the other. She suddenly regretted not paying more attention to current events.

As they walked up the stairs, Kora tried to convince herself she was dreaming. If I just close my eyes and reopen them, I'll be back in bed. This is all made up. There's no way that this is happening to me. She did so, and when she opened them she was still where she started. To her surprise, Kora wasn't met with disappointment.

Someone with a strange expression approached them to tell the guy that his boss needed him, and Kora whistled under her breath. “Ohh, looks like you're in trouble.” His boss was gonna be so pissed, Kora assumed, at having one of his employees bringing some girl off the street to some top-secret building. At least, Kora thought it was top-secret. Judging from its appearance, the “Ronin Corporation” must pay hundreds of thousands in security. Not to mention the guys in robot-suits who probably know ten different ways to kick your ass. Kora suddenly wished she had a robot-suit. They looked intimidating.

Kora stared out into space as the man started making his proposal. She didn't really know what he was suggesting, so she just kept quiet and listened. 

When they reached the restaurant, her mouth began to water. She forgot how amazing food could smell. Surveying the customers, she figured they all seemed like regular business-people. They probably got to eat here for free, every day. Lucky bastards.

An assistant?” she finally said after a moment of silence. She muttered under her breath, “Pfft, have what it takes.” Raising her voice so he could hear her better, she continued, “I don't even know your name, and you want me to be your assistant? My 'skill-set' doesn't really entail me helping out some hit man, buddy.” 

Pausing for a moment, she considered his offer, thoughtfully tapping her finger on her chin. “Unless you want me to wash your dishes? I worked a maid-service for a while, I could clean your house, wash your clothes, maybe. That kind of stuff. You're probably a busy guy.” Her voice wandered off as she reminisced about her old job. She liked that late-hour cleaning gig, too bad it shut down.

@uesius

"Then maybe I was wrong." Jack poked her in the chest. He wasn't particularly rough but his tone was serious. Still, there was a shadow of a smile on his face. "Maybe I was wrong about you and you don't have anything special in you. Maybe you should just do the dishes for the rest of your life." In spite of being so cold in what he was saying, Jack still tried to be quiet so the people in the restaurant wouldn't hear what him. He will either get the best out of this girl or she will completely break. All or nothing.

"Now, when I got offered this job, I was cautious but I didn't tell my boss that I'm not the right man for it. I told her that I'm better than anyone else she could find." He smirked. "I knew nothing about the job and she could see it in me. Just like I see it in you now. But she decided I was worth the effort. And I proved myself. I did what I had to do and I made sure it was the best around." He placed his hands on his hips and stared down at the girl. "But you... I offer you a job which you can assume pays a lot and you make me a counter offer. A counter-offer where you'd clean my house." He snorted. "No, I don't need anyone to clean my house or wash my clothes. I don't visit my home that often and I take my clothes to professionals."

Jack hoped he wasn't being too rough. Being rough worked on him with his recruiter. It lit that fire in him. A fire which the boss saw. A fire which still burned. Maybe a little less impressive after all that time but it was still burning bright enough. The girl was an easily frightened type and that wouldn't do. If she was so scared that she couldn't handle what he was saying, then she wouldn't be able to handle anything else he would throw at her. She would never be able to assist him and becoming his partner was nothing more than a fleeting idea. If she had it in her, though...

"So, here's the deal." Jack gave her a half smile but still kept a slight frown to show that he meant business. "You can either stay with your belief that you're street trash and will never be anything more. I'll buy you lunch, like I promised, but after that, we're going our separate ways with a wave and a goodbye. Or..." Jack raised a finger to add to his point. "You can see what I have to offer you. I may be an idiot for believing in you but at least you can try to prove me right. For your sake. I don't mind being an idiot about something like this." He said and shoved his hands into his pockets. "So, what will it be? Lunch and nothing more or a chance to rewrite your future - lunch included." He winked. He was still softer than what his partner was when she held her speech. Insult upon insult. Verbal trashing paired with the physical equivalent just to prove her point. She would probably have the girl crying in the corner and pissing herself. Hopefully, Jack didn't press that hard.

@Mr_DC

Maybe you should just do the dishes for the rest of your life. The words echoed in Kora's head, making her feel sick to her stomach. That's where her life really was headed, wasn't it? Doing the same damn thing day in and day out. The same route, same lectures from the higher ups, same shit every single day, until she was an old woman. 

She pictured herself on her death bed, instead of reminiscing about her exciting life, she would be regretting every moment of it. Just pull the plug already, would you sweetheart, she'd reach out with her frail hand, begging the nurse assisting her at her bedside when her body, withered and aching from decades of menial labor, was too weak to do anything for itself. Instead of respect, she'd be looked upon with pity; poor old Kora who never caught a break.

What had happened to her dreams, her aspirations? Where did her ambition wander off too, where she has glorious opportunity staring her in the face, and she nearly turns it down to fade back into her life of mediocre poverty?

But was this guy who he really said he was? Or was this all some sort of elaborate ruse? Could she trust him? Though he spoke to her more kindly than her boss ever had, Kora could tell by his tone that he was indeed being serious about this. He had something to offer her. All she had to do now was reach out and take it. She turned away from him, not able to meet his intense gaze.

Her eyes wandered to the group of people further away who were getting lunch. They likely didn't even notice the two of them, yet she still wondered what she looked like in their eyes. She felt like she was getting a “stern talking to” from her father. It made her feel pathetic.

Eventually, she lifted her head and made eye contact with him once more. “Okay,” she exhaled at last. “Fine. If you're so intent on seeing 'something special,'” she added air quotes around the last few words, trying to point out how ridiculous it sounded to her, “in me, then let's do it. I'll take you up on this so called offer, whatever it is.

Kora didn't want to admit it to herself, but she hoped this man was right. Hidden somewhere within her was a desire to not let him down. She wanted to be special, to be important to somebody. Perhaps now this was her chance.

@uesius

Jack nodded like he just struck a deal of a lifetime. That wasn't enough, though. He needed proof. "Come on." He said, walking over to a corner table. The simple, white table with a glass surface surrounded by four white chairs. It was like corporate heaven, just without all the money stacks. Jack was grateful for Ronin. They were among the few corporations which valued their employees. Rewarded the great ones without treating them like there's a replacement just around the corner. It brought out the best in him. He wanted to pay them back in whatever way possible.

"You know why I think you'd be a good assistant?" Jack said, pulling out the chair for her. He usually sat in the corner with his back to the wall. Best position, a clear view of the entire room. This time, though, he gave that chair to the girl. "Because I think with a little training, you can be a great little liar. I can see you walking into a CEO's office with nothing but your words." He smiled, sitting down and giving a shake of the head to an incoming waiter. The order will have to wait. "You see, my mentor believed I would be good at killing but I had to prove it to her. Told me to try and get a drop of blood out of her." He shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"It went about as well as you'd expect. I failed, miserably. She busted my nose and dislocated my wrist. But... She told me I'm worth a shot." He leaned in and whispered. "Now, you'd be a good liar. I can tell. Good at slipping into placed unnoticed. But I want you to prove yourself." He grinned. "Embarras me. Right here, in front of everyone. Find the best lie you can and shout it from the top of your lungs to get me to blush." He chuckled. "And don't blush yourself. A lot of attention will be on you too. You need to lie so I end up being the crazy one, not you." Jack leaned back, crossing his arms on his chest.

None of the people here knew him, except the chef fiddling with his knives and the waiter running around. Still, he was bound to pass those people in the halls. Maybe some rumors will be started. It didn't matter. This was her test on his expense. If she was great, Jack would just be losing some dignity. If she's not good, he'd lose nothing. "If you succeed, we're going straight up to my boss where I'll tell her that you're getting half of my salary." He's taking the girl up even if she doesn't succeed. She had potential and it would be a crime if he didn't sculpt it into something marvelous.

@Mr_DC

Kora followed him over to the table and sat down when he pulled out the seat. She closed her eyes and sighed, grateful for a moment to stop and rest. She opened them up, making eye contact with a waiter who hurried over to her table. Finally, some food.

Then the man waved the waiter off. Sonofabitch, more lecturing. She rubbed her weary eyes, then placed her elbows on the table and rested her chin on top of her hands. Kora remained quiet as he spoke to her and told her about his bloody “test.” Good lord, please don't make me have to fight you. I don't want to fight you, she thought to herself, I'd probably get my ass beat and have to eat through a tube for the rest of my life.

You want me to...what?” lowering her voice, she leaned closer in. “Embarrass you? How the hell...?” She sat back against the chair, still staring at him disbelievingly. How was she going to accomplish this? Yell at the top of her lungs? Call him a creep, say he's hitting on her? What would get all of these people to stare at them, to make him feel uncomfortable? Kora couldn't choke down her pride.

This is ridiculous,” she muttered under her breath, chewing her lip as she thought about the appropriate plan of action. She made up her mind. “No,” Kora shook her head and crossed her arms, “There's literally nothing I can do that won't make me look like a jackass.

Maybe this wasn't meant to be after all. Kora felt silly, being tested to embarrass a grown man at his own work. Had someone deliberately made a fool out of her where she worked, Kora would be pissed beyond belief. Perhaps it was just some sick humiliation fetish this man had and she was just some bimbo brought in to fulfill it. Goddamn creep. She put her hands on the edge of the table, ready to get up and leave for good. She completely forgot about the food she was promised, but now she didn't care. “I don't think you have the right person for this “job.” I'm not going to do something stupid like that. Sorry bud, forget it.

@uesius
Jack nodded and waved over the waiter. "I'm sorry about plucking you off the street like that." Jack said when the waiter finally noticed him. His tone flipped off all emotion. Something you'd hear from a phone by someone offering you to change your provider. He was wrong.
He knew now what he saw in the girl. He saw a similarity and wanted so hard for it to be deeper than just appearance. He believed it was.

But Jack was wrong. He was getting nostalgic, wanting a second chance. The girl wasn't whatever-her-name-was. She was just some kid off the street who didn't belong in a corporation. "I shouldn't try to be a talent scout." He joked and flashed a a smile but it was a cold one. He was too emotional for it. He wanted so hard to be right but it wasn't up to him. Once the waiter got by the table, Jack have him the same cold smile. Not a charismatic mood. "Give a call to the boss. Tell her I'll be down shortly." At least Chloe would understand. As hard as she was, his boss had the wisdom of a monk. Most of her wisdom was difficult to understand but still wise.

She will probably laugh first. Then she will pop open a bottle of whatever priceless, ancient drink she has lying around. What a boss. He thought. He would normally smile but the girl was in front of him. His failure. She managed to put him to shame. "Allow me to at least fulfill my promise of a meal." He leaned back, avoiding to look her in the eye. "If you don't live around here, I can arrange for a car to drive you home." He offered. Of course she didn't leave nearby. The only people who lived in the corporate district were CEO's with their penthouses atop corporate offices. "Please, order what you want. It's the least I can do." He said, giving a nod to the waiter. "Get me a glass of water. I get the feeling I'll have a long talk with the boss."

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mr_DC

The disappointed tone in the man's voice nearly broke Kora's heart. She sat in solemn silence as the waiter came over. Kora wasn't that hungry anymore, she felt more sick than anything. She pointed to some picture on the menu and mumbled a measly, “This one. Thanks.

Way to go, Kora, you screwed it up, just like you screw everything else up. She gave an exasperated sigh, rubbing her hand through her hair. Should she say something to lighten the mood? Or just let him be? Kora kept her eyes on the other patrons, watching as they talked and laughed amongst each other. Their smug faces infuriated her. Look at those uppity idiots, thinking they're better than everyone else. Just because they have 24/7 access to nice places to eat and cutting-edge technology does not make them any better than she. Okay, well, maybe it did a little. Kora didn't want to think about it.

You don't have to get a car, I can walk,” she said. Kora wanted to spend a little longer in this neighborhood, just to get a taste of what it would feel like to be on of “them.” Though, after a while, an unfamiliar face prowling around might arouse suspicion. Perhaps it was best to not linger long.

There was no way she was going back to her old job now. She hadn't called in and told her boss where she was and that she was going to be late. Instead of trying to head back and deal with him, Kora decided she would just never go back. After all, he couldn't officially fire her if she never shows up, right? Time to start job hunting again.

But what did this guy even expect of her, anyway? Out of the thousands of people he could have pulled off the street, he automatically assumes he's nabbed some sort of genius person with lightning sharp wit? Literally across the street from where they “met” was some sort of huge fancy building, there were probably tons of people in there that could have helped him out.

She wondered what he was going to say to his boss, and how his boss would react. Would there be screaming? Throwing of items? All of Kora's interactions with her now ex-boss usually ended up in a destructive shouting match.

I, uh,” she bit the side of her mouth, unsure where she was going with this, still unable to look at him. “I'm sorry, but you'll find who you're looking for, I bet.” After a long pause, she added, “Thanks for lunch.

@uesius

Jack watched her. He'll get her a car. No point in letting the girl walk. He occasionally made a little nod while she ate, more to his thoughts than anything else. He was silent when the waiter brought her the food and his glass of water. Jack would occasionally take a sip just so he'd stop staring at something. The water was 'served' in a tall wine glass. Something which made Jack scoff when the waiter placed it in front of him.

His mind was dark. Just images of her floating around. The sounds of gunshot whenever he closed his eyes.

Her thanks snapped him out of it. Snapped him completely in the wrong way. "Don't mention it." Jack said, leaning back and picking up his glass. "I wasn't really looking for someone." He said, staring at the half empty glass, just so he wouldn't have to look the girl in the eye. "I..." He pursed his lips for a moment. "I just hoped I'd take the role of the woman who brought me in. I didn't know why she brought me in but I think I get it now." She was lonely. "I thought she was just awesome." He smiled, looking away. Why am I telling her this? "I mean, she was. She was a hero. The kind of a badass who would save the world and get wasted the next night, not thinking much about it." He grinned, looking at the girl again.

"I mean, everyone will tell you she was a complete... Bitch." He hesitated. How young was the girl? "But no one would deny what she did." His smile melted as he looked down at the glass again. "I was always her assistant. That's how everyone saw me. By the end, I was her partner and... That means I'm supposed to pick up the torch and keep running. I don't feel like I'm good enough to replace her, though. Look at me." He placed a hand on his chest and moved the glass aside. "In a suit, drinking water out of a fancy glass. She'd beat the hell out of me if she saw me like this."

Jack looked at the glass, about to drop it to fall to the ground for effect but he couldn't. He placed it back on the table. Not the one to make a mess. He wasn't her. I need someone to look up to me. He closed his eyes and sighed. "Shit." He looked at the girl. "I think I should see my boss." He pushed his chair back. Chloe wasn't waiting for him. She was always doing something and Jack was always there to fill in the blanks in her schedule. "I took enough of your time. I hope you had a pleasant enough meal. I'll call you a car. Let you see what the inside of a corporate limo looks like." He winked, giving her his usual smile while getting to his feet.

@Mr_DC

Kora stared at her tray when the waiter placed it on the table. She leaned in closer, taking a piece and giving it a quick smell. It wasn't overly fishy like she expected. It had a rather nice ginger scent to it. She tossed it into her mouth, chewed it thoroughly, and swallowed it down. It didn't immediately come back up, which was a good sign. Although, Kora had to admit it would have been a little funny if she just retched all over the table, giving these folks something to talk about. What could have been a perfect ending to a perfect day.

She took another piece of sushi and popped it into her mouth, nodding along as he talked about his partner. “Yeah, she sounds like a badass,” Kora mused. “Why aren't you guys partners anymore?” After she asked the question, Kora realized she probably shouldn't have. Now she was veering into personal territory, and who knows what sort of baggage this guy has. Oh well, it was too late now. She took another bite of her food.

I mean, you seem pretty capable on your own. Not everyone has to have a sidekick.” Kora had always relied on herself for everything, so this was natural for her. She could help out someone else in charge, but if she was the one responsible, everything had to go her way. If she wanted something done right, she would just do it herself. “Having an assistant might just drag you down, anyway.

Kora brushed her hands together after she finished, standing up when he did. “Yeah, uh, thanks again,” she didn't really have much else to say. “Food was good.

@uesius

Jack ignored her question. Not something to discuss during a lunch with a stranger. Not something to discuss. "Yeah, I'm capable enough." Jack nodded. He was capable. One of the best employees Ronin had, in fact, but that wasn't enough. He wasn't her and that was what pained him the most. He couldn't find an assistant to raise from the dirt and sculpt into someone skilled. Jack wasn't her. Jack was just an employee of a corporation who worked with a legend once upon a time.

"I suppose you're right." He lied. There might have been a small part of him who believed her words but he wanted a partner. He wanted someone by side to listen to his quips, to compliment his well-spoken lies. Maybe he would get one of those personal AI's. Talk the company into buying it for him. Maybe ask them to give it a specific personality. "Not everyone is a good teacher." He winked at the girl and waved over a waiter. Stop winking.  "I'm glad you enjoyed your food. I hope I didn't spoil you." He chuckled. Maybe she was the kind of a person to like the food in this place. Maybe she belonged with the suits, typing away on computers. Not with a gun in her hand. Jack couldn't assume any of that anymore. He was wrong.

"I'll cover it later." He nodded when the waiter walked up. "Give a call to the garage. Tell them to bring out a car. Something fancy. 1-4-4 should be fancy enough." He gave a wink to the girl. This was more of a tour than a recruitment. Bring someone over, show them one room, send them on their way with a nice memory. At least the girl wasn't one of those anti-corporate maniacs. She could have ran at him with her knives when she got the chance. It seemed like everyone was killing everyone.

Jack sighed but kept his smile. "I'm... I'm gonna go now. You think you can find your way out?" He placed one hand in his pocked, resting his weight on that leg. "The car should be parked in front of the building in a minute." Then it hit him. He didn't even know the girl's name. It didn't matter but... He wanted to know. "Oh, by the way," He extended his hand. "I'm Jack. Jack Good." Like it meant anything to her. Like she will ever hear his name again or remember it.

@Mr_DC

Kora was shocked at how hard this guy was taking the fact that she wasn't who he thought she was. She could tell he was devastated. Eh, welcome to the real world, kid. Life's not always how you want it to be. This was no new feeling to her. She was used to disappointment. Kora wondered, if it had all worked out like he planned, and she proved her worth, where would her life had been headed? She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. It was no use pondering over the countless “What-ifs” in her life. They always bummed her out.

Well, it's back to the shit-hole now. This was a nice little break from reality, but Kora knew it wouldn't last long. She had to return to the real world now, bust her ass day in and day out just like everyone else. She took that fact with stride, there was nothing she could do to change it. It's just how her cards were dealt, she supposed.

Yeah,” Kora replied, “I'm sure I'll find a way out. Good luck with your boss, and your search. You'll find your partner, don't worry.” She reached out and shook his extended hand. “I'm Kora Rios. Nice to meet you, Jack.” She smiled and gave him a wink similar to the ones he'd been flashing all day. “Thanks for not trying to murder me.

She let go of his hand and turned around, not waiting for a reply. She heaved her shoulders, gave the room one last admiring look, and headed towards the exit.

@uesius

"Kora Rios." Jack repeated with a nod, watching the girl leave. Not a name he will remember. She's just a girl like countless others. Wonder what Chloe is up to. Jack turned away and headed to the elevator to take it deep down to sub-level 40.

A black car was waiting in front of the gate. It was long, like a regular car has been squeezed and stretched. Its sleek design with no front doors or front windows meant that it was self-driven - the style of most corporations. And what security corporation wouldn't have a fleet of armored cars? The thick doors and just as thick, tinted windows were sign enough for anyone who didn't get the hint from plates over the tires.

"Good guy Jack." An Australian accent greeted him once he opened the doors to the CEO's office. There was a group of Ronin Samurai lined up on either side of the double doors, protecting their leader. "You've got to see what I got." Chloe Johnson said, laying on her office chair with her feet kicked up on the side of the glass desk. While the desk was made completely out of glass, it wasn't transparent. Everything except the glass sheet on top was foggy. General shapes could be spotted but making out what they were was near impossible.

What was once probably a mohawk now grew out into an interesting shape of brown hair one would normally see on teenagers or mercenaries. Definitely not on someone with a high status like Chloe Johnson. She wore her standard attaire of a shit and vest paired with a maching tie. Every time she had a new toy in her hands and this time it looked like an old flintlock pistol. Not exactly safe being so close to the cigar dangling between her lips. Still, there was never a whif of smoke in her office. The great ventialtion ensured the only smell was that resembling a carpenter's workshop even though there was little wood in the office. Just the legs of bright furniture and a couple cabinets behind Chloe's desk.

Behind her was a massive painting of nothing. A blank, white canvas. Not being an art lover, Jack questioned her choice in buying it and got the answer he was expecting. 'I don't know. Just thought the damn thing looked cool.'

Her office was long, taking up almost the entire length of the floor while only being wide about a quarter of its length. Her desk was looking past the sofa in front of the door and towards the zen garden on the opposite end which hasn't been touched in years.
"This is awesome." She raised the pistol with a grin. "Wanna help me try it out?" For all her immature behavior and questionable appearance, Chloe did what most thought was impossible. Raised Ronin to a mega-corporation status and remained a CEO for ten years without being a major shareholder herself.

@Mr_DC

Kora retraced her steps out of the building, hands in her coat pockets and head down. You still have a chance, go back there, she told herself. Go beg for a second chance. She imagined herself turning around, going back to find Jack, get on her hands and knees and plead for a do over. I can do other things! she'd say to him, clasping her hands together, I can steal stuff for your corporation! I'm good at that! Quiet as a mouse! In and out, no questions asked! Or I'll be a test subject, you can try out all your questionable gadgets on me and I won't even complain! Just don't make me go back out there!

When she reached the main gate she paused for a moment, pivoting on one foot and looking back at the building. She started to head in that direction, then stopped herself. No, she had already lost enough dignity today. She didn't want to throw what little of it she had away.

She turned back around and nodded at the guard who let them through the first time. “Sorry, thought I forgot something,” she said to him. As he let her pass, she commented, “Cool suit.

She stood out on the main street, looking back and forth for a car to come get her, when she noticed one already parked outside. Bending down, she put her hands up to the glass and peered in the window, no driver. How fancy. She stood back up, with her hand on the door's handle, and checked to see if anyone was running after her, claiming she was stealing their car. No one did, so she yanked the door open and threw herself inside.

The interior was roomy. It was unlike anything she had ever seen before, almost like a spaceship. She didn't know exactly how to talk to this thing, or if it just somehow knew where she wanted to go. “Just take me, uh,” she began, then sighed. “Just take me a few blocks from here, I guess.” She didn't know this part of town very well, so she was unsure of what streets lead to where. But she now had an entire day to kill before she had to head to her second, now only, job. And she wasn't exactly sure how she was going to use up all her free time.

@uesius

"You look troubled." A worried voice came from the speakers as the car slowly started rolling down the street. The voice sounded distinctly human, belonging to a woman. It didn't have any of those unnatural pauses an AI would have. It could have been an AI but if it was, it was probably one of the more advanced, general purpose ones for interaction with the big shots who could afford them. "First time in a car like this?" The voice asked, cheerfully. She sounded like she wanted to start a conversation. Almost like an older sister wanting to get her sibling's mind off whatever was bothering them. "Wanna cruise a bit?" She asked, lowering her tone but maintaining the positive attitude like she was daring the girl to try something forbidden. "It'll be fuuun." She added melodiously.

The car was passing by countless tall corporate towers which seemed to stretch endlessly into the grey sky. The ride wasn't as fast as the other cars rushing by but it was smooth. No turn gave any semblance of motion. It was like sitting in a theater and watching a movie through the windows.

(Sorry for the short post. Not really much I can write with just a voice while maintaining mystery.)

@Mr_DC

(That's alright!)

Kora was staring out of the tinted windows at the buildings and people they passed. She loved the feeling of anonymity this car gave her, like she was some important CEO or something. She rubbed her hands on the seat, trying to get the soft material of the car seat to settle her nerves.

Her thoughts were racing. What was Jack up to now? Where was she gonna go? How was she going to find a job? In this city there was always someone willing to do more work for less, making it almost impossible for her to find a living wage in this place. Maybe you just don't belong in this city. You can start over. It's not like you've never skipped town before, you're a pro at creating a new identity for yourself. Kora had found it easy to blend into new surroundings, like a chameleon. But were other big towns any different from this one? Nah, they were all the same. However, she could use a change of scenery...

A voice spoke from inside the car. “Oh, Jesus,” Kora jumped, placing a hand on her chest and another on the door's armrest. She looked around the car for the source of the voice. It was well lit enough for her to figure that she was the only person in the car, so she assumed that it was coming from a speaker somewhere. “You scared the hell out of me,” she gasped. Not only did this car drive itself, it could also talk to you. How insane, and expensive, was that? Did all self-driving cars talk to you, or only the fancy corporation ones?

Oh, uh, hey,” she stuttered. Was this an AI voice speaking to her? It sounded too real to be coming from a robot, yet she figured that whoever owned this car likely had the funds to afford top of the line AI. She rubbed her forehead, saying, “Sure, uhm, just take me where ever.

@uesius

"Want me to go fast?" She asked, excited by the idea. "I can go really fast. Oh, maybe we can get the fuzz on us." She said, trying out the world with a chuckle and sounding clearly excited by the idea. "But that will get me in trouble." She said quickly with an annoyed grunt. "You wanna?" She asked again like she forgot the previous sentence. The car did speed up but only to match the speed of other cars on the road. Surprisingly, no one honked their horn when they were driving slowly. No one really had it in them to honk at such a car. Never smart to anger someone who can afford a car like that.

"Ooooh." She said like a child noticing it's new favorite toy behind a shop window. The car slowed down and turned, heading away from the center of the city, more towards the rougher part of town and the docks. "I know where to take you." She sang. "You're gonna love this. Just a thing to cheer you up. You need cheering up, right? Right." She answered her own question.

The car started speeding up a bit more now, overtaking other cars. Whoever was talking was obviously excited to get to her target and wanted to get there as soon as possible. "You don't mind it, right? If you'd rather go home, just say so." She paused. "Hey, what's your name?"

"I'd rather not." Jack shook his head, frowning at the antiquated pistol. Looks like she's in a beach mood. Jack thought, looking at the wall opposite of the door. It had fake windows which showed projections of a warm, sandy beach with waves slowly rolling along towards him. He could see palm trees on the side of whatever island paradise that was supposed to be.

"Oh, come on, Jacky, it'll be fun. We can do quick drawing. See who's faster." Chloe jolted to her feet and walked around her table but kept her focus on the pistol in her hands. "I even bought black powder and lead balls." She looked up with a wicked grin. "You want a pair? Maybe that's what you need to try this out." She waved the pistol.

Jack chuckled, rolling his eyes at the awful pun. "You do know cowboys did the quick-draw thing?" Jack looked at her, cocking an eyebrow. "Not pirates." He shoved his hands in his pockets. The comment did burst Chole's bubble for a moment, earning him a scowl, but she quickly extended her arm, aiming down the sights at whatever she imagined was behind her office wall.

"You know, I always wanted to be a pirate." She grinned, still looking down the sights. "I was told to play with the girls but all they did was cry to their daddies..." She said, waggling her arms around mockingly. "For whateva' the fancy toy at that time was."

She started pacing, deeply focused on ranting on the memory. "And when I did manage to convince the brats to play pirates, all of them wanted to play damsels in distress. I didn't give a fuck about that even then. I wanted to plunda', rape, and destroy." She paused. "Well, maybe not destroy, I liked buildin'." She joked and laid the gun on her desk, leaving traces of black powder. "I'm thinkin' of buyin' myself a galleon. Turnin' it into a modern fortress from inside while keepin' the outside authentic. Cool, huh?" She grinned.

@Mr_DC

Kora put her head and hand to the glass, looking out as the car overtook other vehicles. “Uh, yeah, go as fast as you want I guess,” she said. “Just don't try to kill me.

She leaned back into her seat and sat patiently, not exactly sure if she had gotten in the right car. “I, uh, I'm Kora. Are you sure you're a,” she paused for the word, having forgotten it pretty quickly, “a, Ronin Corporation car? Some guy was supposed to call it for me, but I may have grabbed the wrong one on accident.” She felt bad for the poor bastard whose car she'd accidentally stolen.

Do you have a name?” she added. “Or do they just call you the name of the car?” She had no clue what type of car she was in. Cars were never much of her thing. “You're an AI thingy, right? You sound crazy real.

@Mr_DC

CLANG CLANG CLANG

Her electronic noise dampeners slowly shut off, she could hear again; the huge .60 caliber shell bounced against the rooftop of a local industrial building, one of the tallest in the city with a completely open view of the east side. About 2 miles away a black car slowly rolled to a stop. It looked like the makings of a Hollywood crime scene. The front of the car emitted a large cloud of steam, a baseball sized hole through the radiator. The interior of the vehicle looked like someone had taken a chainsaw to it. The seats completely destroyed front and back. The inside was also coated in a deep crimson, two mangled and unidentifiable bodies laid slumped against the seats with various pieces of their bodies missing. Driver missing a leg and arm, passenger missing an arm.

Blood seeped from both their ears, their eyes rolled back into their head. The windows of the car had been blown out, almost as if an explosion went off in the interior, but there was no blackened or charred material so it couldn't of been.

Black Lotus picked herself off the ground, the smell of gunpowder coated her skin. She reached down and picked up the 100+ lbs weapon with one hand, with the other she clicked the safety off of her automatic .50 cal pistol holstered on her side, and wandered down to ground floor of the tower. The barrel of the rifle resting on her shoulder, the butt of the gun resting in the palm of her hand. She reached the motorcycle finally, and used her foot to pop the large 5 and a half foot long, side mounted, equipment case of her motorcycle open, where she slowly put the rifle in and closed it again, flicking the metal bracket securely holding it.

After that she put one leg over her bike and saddled it.

GLUG glug glug glug

Her motorcycle sounded away. With a smooth kick the motorcycle's frame lowered to the ground, the metallic stand up underneath the main part of the body now. She turned the right handle grip and sped off into the city, it was getting dark now the neon lights streaming off the fiberglass of the bike.

The electronics relaying non-stop information to her, 4 or 5 processes at a time. The noise would've been unbearable even for someone used to augments but the noise and chaos didn't seem to bother her. She listened to a radio station playing some punchy synthwave as she made her way back to Ronin Corporation.

Once arriving she kicked the stand down again and leaned against her bike using one hand to retrieve a cigarette before placing it between her lips, and using the other to grab the zippo lighter. She clasped one hand over top of the lighter and the other to spark the flint wheel. The tiny satisfying flame lit the end of her cigarette.

--Ahh.... finally...

She never smoked on the job, it left evidence behind and she always remained anonymous. After a couple of long... sweet drags off the cig she looked over at the Ronin Corporation building not expecting to see anything of interest. After her smoke... she'd head up and talk to the boss, let him know the job was done. In person.

Last edited by a moderator:
@HarleyQuip

"Yeah, sounds great, Chloe." Jack said without much emotion, preceding it with a sigh. The girl was still on his mind. "What did you need me for?" He looked at his CEO.

"You know, I got this grog. It's so authentic. Get some glasses, will you? You know where they are." Chloe said with a grin on her face.

With a grunt of slight annoyance, Jack headed past Chloe and to one of the cabinets behind her desk. He knew well where the glasses were. That and all the priceless liquor she had. "So that's what we're drinking today?"

"God, no." Chloe snorted. "Tastes like piss. A bit too authentic for my taste. I have this aged whiskey, though. The bottle has some twine wrapped around the top. You'll know which one it is." She leaned by the door and watched Jack fetch the shot glasses.

"So, Jacky, who was the girl?" Her grin faded into a smirk. "Seems like she got to you."

"I just thought I could get myself a partner. Figured I can do it. Figured wrong." She sighed, opening another cabinet. Bottle upon bottle stacked on every shelf, some even with cobwebs on them. Chloe liked knowing there was some good quality booze behind her. Just in case she needed to reach for it. Funny woman. She had no problem spending a million credits on some priceless, ancient bottle of wine just to try and drink it and find out it tastes like vinegar. He picked out the bottle she ordered and looked back. The same old cocky smirk. It suited her. She was a successful CEO. Better that smirk and this booze than a worn old man and some cheap, bottom-shelf bourbon.

"Oh, Jack, you and women." She pushed herself away from the wall and started making her way back to her desk, walking like a model on a runway. Maybe a bit slower. "When will you just sweep everythin' off my desk and take me." She grinned.

"Well, I heard you're like a praying mantis and rip the head of your partner when you're done." Jack said with a straight face. He knew she loved it when someone insulted her straight-faced. Chloe truly was a modern day pirate. Not CEO material but she changed the business game to make room for her. "I'd like my head where it is, thank you."

She laughed and grabbed the bottle, pouring herself as much as the glass will hold while giving Jack about half. She respected his limits. Jack respected her. "Get that Yakuza thin' ova' 'ere." Chloe ordered, looking at the ceiling. Her accent was a bit stronger when she was angry. Jack knew who she was talking to. Her constantly listening, always obeying AI. The thing ran the entire west coast but was always there to do as told by Madam Chloe.

Jack knew Chloe had problems with the Yakuza who was deeply entrenched in the company. She hated them as much as they hated her. But, they started the company and she brought piles of money so the hatred was easy to overcome. Still, an occasional attack on her life by an angry mob man was as common as those people returning home to their families butchered.

Yes, Chloe didn't fuck around. The Yakuza may have owned the company but she controlled the loyalty of its employees.

Black Lotus finished her cigarette and flicked it across the road where it smashed and scattered in orange sparks across the black top. She turned the AM/FM receiver off on her ear and turned proceeding towards the compound. As she reached the gate it had already opened. She walked past the human statue as if it wasn't even there. To her these people... who worked for the corporations were nothing but mindless puppets who had lost their free will. She worked as a mercenary... it was a different story. Her motives were deeper than honor, loyalty, or just a simple paycheck but nonetheless that was her goal... to get paid

As she enter the quaint zen themed lobby her feet transformed from hard rubber like material to that of human skin, walking across the polished bamboo floors barefoot. She came to the elevator and took it up to the top floor. The inside made completely of glass that allowed the viewing of central interior gardens on the bottom floor. She wasn't thinking about anything in particular just watching the people work. DING she turned around as the elevator doors slid open, stepping out into the hallway. She made her way to the CEO's personal office, her footsteps making no audible noise, at least to human ears. As she got to the door she stood straight and gave a few light knocks.

Business as usual... @Mr_DC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back