Rolling for DV

The Scorp

Just wanted to confirm what I think is correct.

Anything that gives BONUS DICE (Essence Overwhelming, Stunts, Hearthstone Bracers), you have to roll and succ's increase your DV right?

I'll flay your body and floss with your spirit God boy.  8)  :lol:
 See what I mean? Nothing but insolence. [sigh] Former rulers of the multiverse just don't make good flunkies.

And I didn't even try to acquire that particular Elder God as a minion. It wasn't my fault his eyes were bigger than his wallet. Plus, he was overconfident on the last hand, and didn't bother to cheat...

Yes' date=' sir.[/quote']
I hate to contradict you, buuuut....

When stunts aid a static value, treat the bonus dice as if they had been awarded by successes rolled with the First Excellency. That is, add the stunt bonus directly to the character's DV, without dividing by two. Thus, a character with a Parry DV of 4 who described his defense spectacularly and received the three-die stunt bonus would have a DV of 7.
Pretty explicit, bolded text.

The rest is correct as far as I know.

ArcKnight said:
Yes' date=' sir.[/quote']
I hate to contradict you, buuuut....

When stunts aid a static value, treat the bonus dice as if they had been awarded by successes rolled with the First Excellency. That is, add the stunt bonus directly to the character's DV, without dividing by two. Thus, a character with a Parry DV of 4 who described his defense spectacularly and received the three-die stunt bonus would have a DV of 7.
Pretty explicit, bolded text.

The rest is correct as far as I know.
I think they are refering to charms, and charms are rolled and the sucs are added. as for the whole stunt deal, I believe there are two schools of thought on that, and I think that is a different thread.

How can there be two school of thought on the stunt thing? As Arc points out, the text is pretty explicit.

Knowing WW, there's probably somewhere in 2nd Ed BWB that states stunt dice should be treated the same way as any other non-charm added dice.

Anyone recall the thread this discussion was on?

Solfi said:
How can there be two school of thought on the stunt thing? As Arc points out, the text is pretty explicit.
Because page 124 and 147 directly contradict each other.

I find my argument pretty convincing (OC! It can be found on the thread Gtroc linked to).

Basically, the instruction to "treat the bonus dice as if they had been awarded by successes rolled with the First Excellency" is utter nonsense because the First Excellency doesn't award bouns dice for rolled successes. So I'm interpreting that as the error, and the real version is on page 147: "the defender's player rolls the stunt dice seperately and adds any successes to the character's DV."

The second option makes sense, because it maintains the same scale of bonus as 1E. think about it: if you roll some extra dice, you can statistically expect half of them to be successes. Not all of them. So adding the stunt bonus directly to DV doubles the effectiveness of stunts. Now, I think that would make a pretty cool house rule, but it's quite a departure from 1E.

The doubling effect only affects defensive stunts, unless we started using static offensive values as well.

That, more than anything, makes me prefer the rolled-stunt-dice interpretation.

There's been a few minor tweaks across the board, though; has anyone else noticed that Virtues are now capped at 4 w/o bonus points?

Actually I just found out that you DONT roll the dice from Hearthstone Bracers.  Its added to the your dodge total then u half it.  This comes from Conrad in Errata FAQs.

So  rolling only works with excellency and stunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back