Advice/Help Roleplay shyness

geminateCoder

Shy Robot
Is that even a real problem or is it just me?

I want to have an adventure with someone and have fun playing my characters. I notice that when I start roleplaying with someone I tend to freeze up. I'm scared of judgement because my writing isn't all that great sometimes. I tend to search for mentors or people that would be okay with helping me get out of my shell by criticizing and helping me improve in my writing. If anyone here is interested in helping me out, I would really appreciate it.

The shyness is especially strong when I try to roleplay in public. I end up running away and not participating. This is hard for me because I want to have fun with a group RP. I want to be able to do real time rp too without freezing up. A lot of my friends play on world of warcraft, and I'm always envious of their awesome adventures.

I have a character who likes adventure and has a heroic aspect where he just wants to help people in need even if they probably don't need it. The character is a complete goof but is a great shot with his bow. I haven't done anything fun with that character because I shy away from opportunities. I'm even though I created the character, I'm afraid I wouldn't play him off correctly.

I crave adventure and fun roleplay, please help me.

it isn't your fault that you are shy. it is true there are a lot of elitist roleplayers that demand a certain post length and it bothers me. i would love to roleplay with you, post length shouldn't matter. and niether should quality, the only thing that should matter is not your skill, but your desire to roleplay or at least learn.

it isn't your fault that you are shy. it is true there are a lot of elitist roleplayers that demand a certain post length and it bothers me. i would love to roleplay with you, post length shouldn't matter. and niether should quality, the only thing that should matter is not your skill, but your desire to roleplay or at least learn.

Wow, thank you. I forgot to mention how I dealt with elitists in the past. It's mainly how it started. I used to be fine with roleplaying before encountering people who called themselves T1 roleplayers. This was back in 2010 or somewhere near then.

Wow, thank you. I forgot to mention how I dealt with elitists in the past. It's mainly how it started. I used to be fine with roleplaying before encountering people who called themselves T1 roleplayers. This was back in 2010 or somewhere near then.

not all T-1 Roleplayers are the same, i incorporate aspects of T-1 and TBL. but i don't use every piece of T-1.

i don't require your reaction to have more words dedicated to be successful

but i do require you to clearly communicate your intent.

you don't have to be good or perfect, as long as you can clearly get the message across and don't spend a lot of time plundering the thesaurus to hide details.

i'm more TBL than T-1. i don't require you to list your exact powers and equipment on your sheet or introduction, as long as you are consistent but also fair with the powers and equipment you do actually use. for example. if your character is a wizard and they have connections with fey or happen to be a tailor with knowledge of fey patterns, i wouldn't mind them having clothes that suddenly reveal to be made of a damage absorbent spidersilk material that works similarly to kevlar, or if your character was described as a telepath, i have no problem with them creating illusions or using some time and enegy to disappear.

i would have issues if your character who was described as honest, straightforward and brash, started using complex tactics that didn't fit their personality without good reason.

if your character is a fey, go ahead and do some trickery, if your character is a paladin of a god that is not inherently deceptive, you probably shouldn't be doing deceptive things

if your little girl is a Weeaboo. i probably wouldn't mind her knowing a martial arts style or two appropriate to her real age if her mother was a health nut. i wouldn't expect her to suddenly pull a katana out of her skirt though,

i use a hybrid of TBL and T-1 where i focus on a character's sensibility and believability rather than the exact specifications.

if your character is a Shaman, they most likely know elemental magic and most likely know healing magic, but also probably wouldn't wish to upset a faerie

you are not alone! a lot of roleplayers struggle with this sort anxiety, and it's natural! your writing is art, and it's a reflection of yourself, and you're leaving it out in the open for anyone to see. i used to be one of those 'elitists', but i ended up getting to the point where the pressure to be 'good' became so much that i couldn't bear the thought of posting anymore.

my advice for you is this: remember that this is something you do for fun.

roleplays don't have to be written inscrutable to be good. if you and your partners are enjoying what you're doing, then you're roleplaying well! when you go to post, keep in mind that, whether or not it's skillful, you're here to enjoy the process, not to show off results. it's not a competition, it's a collaboration, and if the people you're with can't understand that, they're the ones with the problem, not you.

i still have shyness, and i still get nervous everytime i go to post, but the more i do it, and the more i remind myself why i'm doing it, my fear gets that much more manageable. just take it easy and go at your own pace! and on an unrelated note:

I have a character who likes adventure and has a heroic aspect where he just wants to help people in need even if they probably don't need it. The character is a complete goof but is a great shot with his bow.

what an endearing guy! if i did one on one roleplays, i'd definitely ask you for one with him in it. he sounds like he'd be a fun character to play off of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back