Other Roleplay Pet peeves

I'm sorry I know we aren't supposed to quote things but my jaw is on the damn floor and I can't pick it up. You entered a roleplay and the character you were playing against just...came out the gate racist? No warning at all whatsoever? Not even hinted at? I trust that's true I'm just like...how did this person think this was going to go well? Hello?
Yes. It was a scifi roleplay, characters meet at an outpost, etc. So, I use an image of a minority character because I want to and whatever I see my character as that's what I will play. Former partner brings in their character who proceeds to drop the n-word against my character several times in their post. Okay, not cool. Then they have more characters come in dropping more derogatory terms like my character is beneath everyone else. I messaged them of course what's the deal with this only to get a response

"The characters have hostilities toward minorities but give them time."

Never once discussed this with me beforehand mind you because if they did, I would have said hell no. I told them I'm not down for it which they said "They like playing characters like that. We can work this out." I personally don't find that in any context appealing. People play what they want to but I want nothing to do with that.

Yes. It was a scifi roleplay, characters meet at an outpost, etc. So, I use an image of a minority character because I want to and whatever I see my character as that's what I will play. Former partner brings in their character who proceeds to drop the n-word against my character several times in their post. Okay, not cool. Then they have more characters come in dropping more derogatory terms like my character is beneath everyone else. I messaged them of course what's the deal with this only to get a response

"The characters have hostilities toward minorities but give them time."

Never once discussed this with me beforehand mind you because if they did, I would have said hell no. I told them I'm not down for it which they said "They like playing characters like that. We can work this out." I personally don't find that in any context appealing. People play what they want to but I want nothing to do with that.
Yea, this is just straight up them not respecting your boundaries. Not cool. While I am okay exploring themes like this in RP (as long as my partner isn't actually bigoted irl) I still like to get warning. Damn. Your partner didn't even have the dignity to do that.

Chained Echoes Chained Echoes block them.

Honestly if they “like” playing characters who act this way than they are not the kind of person you want to spend time with.

Because that kind of hateful ideology is rarely limited to “just” a fantasy and even more rarely limited to just minorities.

I points to an ugliness in their character that will come out eventually if you continue to hang out with them.

This was them testing the waters of what they could get away with.

To keep it on topic this kind of thing in general pisses me off. Not necessarily springing racism on you out of the blue (honestly never heard of this particular brand of red flag before).

But when people just decide to slide in their hateful bigotry out of the blue without warning. I will never forget the person who went on a multiple paragraph tirade because I dared to ask if my character could be ace.

It wasn’t a demand, I was genuinely just like “hey would it be cool with you if my character was ace.”

What followed was this long winded rant about homosexuality was the devil and how they couldn’t stand how people brought their agendas into roleplays and … truthfully I blocked them before I reached the end.

Cuz if they were that triggered by a simple question it wasn’t worth wasting my time.

Chained Echoes Chained Echoes block them.

Honestly if they “like” playing characters who act this way than they are not the kind of person you want to spend time with.

Because that kind of hateful ideology is rarely limited to “just” a fantasy and even more rarely limited to just minorities.

I points to an ugliness in their character that will come out eventually if you continue to hang out with them.

This was them testing the waters of what they could get away with.

To keep it on topic this kind of thing in general pisses me off. Not necessarily springing racism on you out of the blue (honestly never heard of this particular brand of red flag before).

But when people just decide to slide in their hateful bigotry out of the blue without warning. I will never forget the person who went on a multiple paragraph tirade because I dared to ask if my character could be ace.

It wasn’t a demand, I was genuinely just like “hey would it be cool with you if my character was ace.”

What followed was this long winded rant about homosexuality was the devil and how they couldn’t stand how people brought their agendas into roleplays and … truthfully I blocked them before I reached the end.

Cuz if they were that triggered by a simple question it wasn’t worth wasting my time.
It's funny because knowing people like that, if you didn't ask you would get a rant about "trying to force this sexuality down their throats" even though your character is just existing as ace.

It's funny because knowing people like that, if you didn't ask you would get a rant about "trying to force this sexuality down their throats" even though your character is just existing as ace.

Exactly. It wasn’t like I was even changing up the relationship dynamic. It would still be a heterosexual romance, just my character wouldn’t feel physical attraction. Which you would think would be a bonus for someone that religious. No sinful urges between unmarried folks.

But whatever, bullet dodged I guess.

And of course it was one of those people that was always complaining about not being able to find partners. And no one responding to their interest checks.

Like well Susie I think I figured out why.

Exactly. It wasn’t like I was even changing up the relationship dynamic. It would still be a heterosexual romance, just my character wouldn’t feel physical attraction. Which you would think would be a bonus for someone that religious. No sinful urges between unmarried folks.

But whatever, bullet dodged I guess.

And of course it was one of those people that was always complaining about not being able to find partners. And no one responding to their interest checks.

Like well Susie I think I figured out why.

Yeah I get that a lot. I love making pansexual and bisexual characters and the vitriol I sometimes get hit with for daring to have bi or pan characters is crazy.

Like it doesn't even matter that as far as my RP partner is concerned, they've only seen the character in heterosexual relationships. Just knowing they are bi or pan makes them angry for some reason.

I just find it funny how un-self aware they are. Like how would you feel if I just screamed at everyone that made a hetero character the way you screamed at me? You probably would call me crazy, man lol

Yeah I get that a lot. I love making pansexual and bisexual characters and the vitriol I sometimes get hit with for daring to have bi or pan characters is crazy.

Like it doesn't even matter that as far as my RP partner is concerned, they've only seen the character in heterosexual relationships. Just knowing they are bi or pan makes them angry for some reason.

I just find it funny how un-self aware they are. Like how would you feel if I just screamed at everyone that made a hetero character the way you screamed at me? You probably would call me crazy, man lol
This is just so wild to me. You can still write MxF while the characters are bi or pan, lol. I've done this since a lot of players prefer writing LGBTQA+ characters while I usually like writing MxF ships. There's nothing wrong with it as the relationship still more or less functions the same as it would in a MxF pairing with two hetero characters.

This is just so wild to me. You can still write MxF while the characters are bi or pan, lol. I've done this since a lot of players prefer writing LGBTQA+ characters while I usually like writing MxF ships. There's nothing wrong with it as the relationship still more or less functions the same as it would in a MxF pairing with two hetero characters.
As a Bi person there is this really WEIRD stereotype that makes people believe bi/pan people are more likely to cheat, for some reason, so I assume that's what their issue is lol

As a Bi person there is this really WEIRD stereotype that makes people believe bi/pan people are more likely to cheat, for some reason, so I assume that's what their issue is lol
Seems like a weird stereotype, considering how often heteros cheat.

I could write a novel on the above topics but I'll keep us on track.

If you want to ghost a 1x1 roleplay? Fine. Life comes first. It's just me. You aren't hurting my feelings. I totally understand if life grabs you by the braids and swings you around like Ms Trunchbull did in Matilda. It happens.

Please if you cannot commit to a group RP anymore just...tell the group you cannot commit. Or even tell just the GM/DM and slide on out. You're keeping everyone from enjoying the story if you can't commit. It's fine, like I said life happens. If something irl is more important PLEASE do that. But that's a moment where you NEED to tell someone you're peacing out.

My good lord I could rant all day about this. Ok, let me limit this to my top ones.
When people start acting (IC) completely different to how their character is described
When the GM (Group RP) just leaves out of the blue and/or leaves in the middle of an rp
When a religious person starts being an ass because I make ace characters (im ace so kinda hard not to)
And finally. When the GM doesn't make any sense with their rulings.

Geeze! I am religious, and as such there are certain characters and types of RP I will not create or take part in, but that's just it: I simply avoid such things. No one is obligated to change their character or RP preferences for my sake. Like everything else in life, not every RP will be inclusive to everyone, and that is perfectly fine. It's really not hard to be polite and respectful!

I'd really like to take part in Pokemon or Digimon RPs, but there are things that tend to happen in those RPs that keep me from doing so:

1. A fresh new Trainer or Tamer gets their baby monster friend only to have it evolve almost immediately after getting it. I can understand an In-Training/Baby 2 Digimon evolving into it's Rookie/Child form quickly, but you're not getting a WarGreymon after meeting your Koromon for the first time just five minutes ago! You're not going to have your Charmander become a Charizard between the journey from Pallet Town to Pewter City!
2. "Thunder Armor" Logic: pulling BS moves during battles. The worst I've experienced was my Water-type using Surf on a Fire-type Pokemon, and the Fire-type Trainer's RPer stating that it used Overheat, which instantly evaporated the tidal wave summoned by Surf and rendered the attack useless. That player also had the nerve to tell me to either accept the move, or they'll count themselves as the winner of the battle anyway. I quit that RP and it died quickly. Big shock.
3. This one is very nit-picky, but I dislike RPs that allow players to own Legendary One-of-a-Kind All Powerful Pokemon and Digimon, and there's an overabundance of Shinies. They're rare for a reason! I know it's pretty harmless for the RP, but I don't like it.

For Fandom RPs in general, it bothers me when a RPer of a Canon Character takes one trait of that character and heavily exaggerates it into becoming their entire character, or Flanderization as it's known on Tv Tropes (Ex. Y'all ARE aware that GIR (Invader Zim) likes other foods besides tacos, right?) Then there are the RPers with Canon Characters that make their PCs as flat and boring as a piece of cardboard, and it makes me wonder why they even bothered to RP Canon Characters to begin with. Typically, not only are these characters devoid of personality, but they barely do anything significant in the RP as well.

Last edited:
My good lord I could rant all day about this. Ok, let me limit this to my top ones.
When people start acting (IC) completely different to how their character is described
When the GM (Group RP) just leaves out of the blue and/or leaves in the middle of an rp
When a religious person starts being an ass because I make ace characters (im ace so kinda hard not to)
And finally. When the GM doesn't make any sense with their rulings.
Hey, not all of us are dicks about Ace identities. Heck, I'm Ace and religious myself. Also, I would have thought religious people would more or less leave us alone as not having sex is actually seen as a virtue in many religions.

Hey, not all of us are dicks about Ace identities. Heck, I'm Ace and religious myself. Also, I would have thought religious people would more or less leave us alone as not having sex is actually seen as a virtue in many religions.
Most people are really chill about it. Some people though just ughhh.

[

So I think it’s procreation.

Most religions don’t think not having sex at all is virtuous. They think having marital sex purely to make babies is virtuous.

Anything outside of that is just varying levels of sinful. Now sure in theory asexuality should be the least sinful alternative to marital sex, because it means you aren’t having “the bad kind” of sex instead. (Ie sex before marriage, sex with the same gender, etc)

Granted on this particular website we can’t write out sex scenes anyway so it really should be a moot point.

Because the Site Rules dictate that we can’t write anything explicit regardless of the genders and sexualities involved.

Which to bring it back on track is a legitimate pet peeve of mine. When people act like writing an ace character is such an imposition when we can’t write sex anyway.

I’m like literally the two characters can still kiss which is about the extent of what can be written anyway. So I don’t get why your so mad about our characters not having hypothetical sex off screen.

Disappearing without explaining why. It frustrates the absolute hell out of me. I'm not gonna throw a psychotic breakdown just because you don't want to pursue an rp. Just TELL me, it saves me eagerly waiting for the next reply, then after nearly 3 weeks, realising that there isn't gonna be a reply.

[

So I think it’s procreation.

Most religions don’t think not having sex at all is virtuous. They think having marital sex purely to make babies is virtuous.

Anything outside of that is just varying levels of sinful. Now sure in theory asexuality should be the least sinful alternative to marital sex, because it means you aren’t having “the bad kind” of sex instead. (Ie sex before marriage, sex with the same gender, etc)

Granted on this particular website we can’t write out sex scenes anyway so it really should be a moot point.

Because the Site Rules dictate that we can’t write anything explicit regardless of the genders and sexualities involved.

Which to bring it back on track is a legitimate pet peeve of mine. When people act like writing an ace character is such an imposition when we can’t write sex anyway.

I’m like literally the two characters can still kiss which is about the extent of what can be written anyway. So I don’t get why your so mad about our characters not having hypothetical sex off screen.
Depends on the religion I suppose since some do view celibacy as a virtue. Christian and Buddhist monastics, some Sufi orders, etc.

Depends on the religion I suppose since some do view celibacy as a virtue. Christian and Buddhist monastics, some Sufi orders, etc.
So not to get off topic but my understanding was that celibacy is meant to be about giving up sex for religion, correct? Like it's something you give up to show your devotion to your faith?

Asexuality is basically not wanting to have sex anyway. So it can't be a virtue if you aren't actually sacrificing anything for religious reasons. At least that's my understanding. I am not personally religious so I could be way off.

Completely changing the topic when people have premade relationships for their characters. I hate it because it feels like I have no control over my own character. I'm basically just playing someone else's OC so they can have the romantic fantasy they always wanted.

I don't care if you have a pairing in mind ex. Nurse and Patient or Canon x OC. But if you have an entire page typed out about how my character acts, what kind of relationship they have with your character, and how you want the romance to progress over the course of the roleplay. Just write a fanfiction because you clearly don't need anyone else's help to come up with your story.

So not to get off topic but my understanding was that celibacy is meant to be about giving up sex for religion, correct? Like it's something you give up to show your devotion to your faith?

Asexuality is basically not wanting to have sex anyway. So it can't be a virtue if you aren't actually sacrificing anything for religious reasons. At least that's my understanding. I am not personally religious so I could be way off.

Completely changing the topic when people have premade relationships for their characters. I hate it because it feels like I have no control over my own character. I'm basically just playing someone else's OC so they can have the romantic fantasy they always wanted.

I don't care if you have a pairing in mind ex. Nurse and Patient or Canon x OC. But if you have an entire page typed out about how my character acts, what kind of relationship they have with your character, and how you want the romance to progress over the course of the roleplay. Just write a fanfiction because you clearly don't need anyone else's help to come up with your story.
That's not what asexuality is but I'm not gonna get to into it.

This is a weird one, but my pet peeve/irk of the day is application or advertising threads that don't include the plot of the roleplay they're taking apps for or advertising. And it forces me to click around to find the main thread and read everything, or click around to find a discord. I'm not sure why this is the trend now but if I have to click a bunch of times to find what you're recruiting for, I'm simply not wasting my time. If you don't want it cluttering your app thread that's fine, but I think it should at the very least be included in the recruitment thread.

This isn't really a trend here on RPN. But I do see it elsewhere and it just...bothers me so much. Please just put it in in the recruitment thread so I know if I'm even interested.

This is a weird one, but my pet peeve/irk of the day is application or advertising threads that don't include the plot of the roleplay they're taking apps for or advertising. And it forces me to click around to find the main thread and read everything, or click around to find a discord. I'm not sure why this is the trend now but if I have to click a bunch of times to find what you're recruiting for, I'm simply not wasting my time. If you don't want it cluttering your app thread that's fine, but I think it should at the very least be included in the recruitment thread.

This isn't really a trend here on RPN. But I do see it elsewhere and it just...bothers me so much. Please just put it in in the recruitment thread so I know if I'm even interested.
In a similar vein I hate when people put up an interest check thread, but then don't actually list what they're looking for. Some of the ones I've seen basically just say stuff like "I'd like to roleplay". Okay, so does everyone else here, lol.

I am in agreement to interest checks that often include nothing more than "I would like to roleplay". I would love to know what you're interested in. I think I've said here before that things like this tell me you want me to do all the work in the roleplay and you'll take a passive stance. And I need a partner who is willing to go 50/50 or as close to that as possible.

And then I've already talked about the concept of the word bank. I think some people forget a word bank isn't really part of an interest check and more about getting your roleplay to populate when someone searches something. I find word banks on their own tell me very little of what you're looking for outside of the genre's you're into. Which is a great start! But I just need a little more.

I am in agreement to interest checks that often include nothing more than "I would like to roleplay". I would love to know what you're interested in. I think I've said here before that things like this tell me you want me to do all the work in the roleplay and you'll take a passive stance. And I need a partner who is willing to go 50/50 or as close to that as possible.

And then I've already talked about the concept of the word bank. I think some people forget a word bank isn't really part of an interest check and more about getting your roleplay to populate when someone searches something. I find word banks on their own tell me very little of what you're looking for outside of the genre's you're into. Which is a great start! But I just need a little more.
As pretty much anyone can attest to I'm literal trash at coming up with actual plots, but I'm great at character creation and worldbuilding. Because of that I rarely include plots I have interest in. However, I will at least include different genres and pairings I'm interested in exploring. At least it's a starting point so I can discuss plot details with a partner who might be a bit better at that aspect than I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back