Advice/Help Roleplay Mentors or Wordsmith-y Guilds?

Ufomi

Rationalist
Hello, lovelies!

I was recently told to try asking around here, so I'm hoping one of you can help an old soul out.

Here's the dilemma. I'm looking for a person or a group that knows how to roleplay better than I can—specifically, someone/multiple someones that have a good mastery of the language and would be willing to show me a few pointers. Anyone know of a group/a place to hit up for people like that? Maybe some posh corner where people sit around with feathers in their hats? Some wordsmith guild of sorts?

I've met a few people that have left me starstruck, but that was quite some time ago. (We're talking three years, if not longer.) All of them are inactive now and have been for months or years. But ... I mean, I know they still exist somewhere—maybe not those same individuals, but people like them.

I'd appreciate any references or pieces of advice. :)

hello dear! (´ ω `♡) since you're looking specifically to improve, xayah's advice is really good! i've found writing with really talented people has forced me to improve as well (just so i don't look like a little clown posting my silly circus performance next to some of the beautiful pieces they write), though doing so is definitely easier than done (#><)

for that, i'd highly recommend (if you've got some spare time) reading other people's rps! seeing your post reminded me of a different discussion topic that asked to see examples of quality writers, which i'll link here [disclaimer that i am shamelessly dropping this thread here since i was mentioned in it (//ω//) ] some of the users/roleplays mentioned here are no longer active, but i believe there are lots of active roleplays on this site that house amazing writers! i'd recommend just doing a quick look through of the 1x1/group forums. i won't @ them since i'm shy, but i've seen syntra's roleplays often on the 1x1 forum and theirs and their partners' writing is..,, consistently spectacular. worth checking out ♡

anyways, reading other's things may help you take a.... third-party (?) approach to reviewing theirs and your work! this can apply to both the strengths and flaws that you notice from other writers, because both can act as good stepping stones to levelling up your writing ability by comparing them with your own standards ✧ i'm by no means good enough to be giving proper pointers/critiques on writing, but here are some questions i tend to ask myself when i'm looking at other writers (beyond those classic "how good's their grammar, vocabulary, etc." questions) in the context of roleplaying: how well do they characterise? do the characters they write feel like real people? how engaged am i while reading their stuff? is it too draggy, too brief, or just right? am i enjoying their writing?

there are probably better questions out there, but this is what works for me! it helps in trying to figure out the style of writing i prefer (mostly to write and partly to read), and which aspects of roleplaying i prefer focusing on! try not to fixate too much on what might come off as good to other people, but create something you think you would enjoy (๑˘︶˘๑) chances are, others will enjoy it too!

otherwise, i've seen a few threads around this forum that specifically ask for advice regarding writing -- some post samples to get specific feedback and receive that specific feedback, while others seek advice more on the general side. most have gotten more than a few helpful replies, it's something you can consider too, if you never quite get the mentor you're looking for!

very sorry for the long post but i hope this helps !!!! ٩(。•́‿•̀。)۶

Hoyo!

Something I'd definitely recommend is something that helped me a lot over the last few years to improve my own writing, and that's to buckle down and study the craft of storytelling.

That's what role-playing is, after all. Interactive storytelling.

The more you study the craft and building blocks of storytelling, the more easily you'll be able to understand, dissect, and reconstruct the most important elements and skillsets it takes to be a good role-player.

I'd advise going to watch and subscribe to Youtube channels like the following:

* HelloFutureMe
* SavageBooks
* The Closer Look
* Filmento

And I'd advise reading books such as:

* Robert McKee's "Story"
* John Truby's "The Anatomy Of Story"
* Steven Jame's "Story Trumps Structure"
* "On Writing and Worldbuilding" parts 1 and 2 by Timothy Hickson

Most importantly, and I can't stress this enough, I'd advise taking time to practice what you study.

Once you learn something from any of these sources, stop and practice it immediately. Let's say you learned a new tip about Subtext. Practice using what you learned. Maybe start by actually typing out the very example you just were shown/read about. Then alter it a little to something more along the lines of what you would do for the scene in the example. Then alter it a bit further. Then a bit further. Eventually you'll be creating entirely brand new scenes from scratch and off the top of your head which all make powerful use of subtext. And your understanding of how to make genuinely interesting and powerful statements in your RP's will be that much stronger.

A lot of role-players I've met over the years seem to either be averse to the idea of studying (you get enough of that in school, I know) the craft and more interested in "quick tips" that are supposed to magically unlock new levels of skill and mastery of being a better role-player. But it's not just going to happen. And expecting it to isn't realistic.

If you want to be a better role-player, learn first to be a better writer.

Like I said before, role-playing is interactive storytelling. And the more you understand the craft of storytelling, the stronger you'll become as a role-player and the roles will slowly reverse with you being the one everyone cites as someone who's posts they're always floored by.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

Oh! Those are great thoughts. I really can't express enough how much I appreciate the resources. A little bit of dirty studying doesn't bother me—it is what I was asking for, after all—so the specific players to look for and the books/series to attack are completely welcome. I was running into walls trying to find things, so, truly, the suggestions are wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back