Roleplay Cliches

Werewolf packs and no, by werewolves I do not mean the classic kind which are people who turn into rampaging bipedal wolves on the full moon night. I'm talking about humans who turn into wolves at will.

Some of my favorites have been:

• Characters that are not even through puberty, yet they are an expert at martial arts or some other form of combat that, realistically, someone with more experience would theoretically be better at. You know, the 15-year-old sharpshooter that a 25-year-old sharpshooter will never measure up to. They are just super talented. Nine times out of ten they are expert geniuses at more than one thing.
  • The angsty teenager/man/woman that is cold and distant due to their tragic past. That character won't start a conversation with you because they are busy being antisocial, but you are expected to not only approach them, but tolerate an icy reception and prod them until they confess how amazing they are.
  • Not a cliche persay, but when I make a character or a character application and someone in the same damn RP clearly copies the major/overarching concept. I won't point fingers, but it became so apparent one time the posts were even similar. I'd post and the next post would be my creepy psuedo-clone doing the same thing. This has happened to me more than once.
  • The anti-hero. I like the concept, but the execution usually comes out like Batman's rough teenage years except he's got the powers of ALL the Justice League pieced together. Good guys doing bad things for all the right reasons is cool and all, but you can do it without them having tragic pasts, standoffish personalities, a propensity for dark colors and working alone, etc.

Can't do the entire whiney male teenager saves world or finds cute girl mecha robot magical animu situation.

Or harem stuff. Or idk..anything that modern anime wants to shove down my throat in the form of written word roleplaying games.

Please stop the overpowered super saiyan stuff. When I beat the crap out of your character with my dude and it's legit and realistically you'd get pwned, accept it and write accordingly.

Also, please no more of the helpless damsel. I am tired of this and it makes my ovaries shrivel into tiny burnt eggs. Generally the person writing the damsel wants to pair with my guy and I can't even and makes me nope out of there faster than Chipotle processes to make you crap your brains out.

Anti-heroes are cool but let's not pretend they would have nuke powers and kill everyone. I agree with @Syrenrei

Also kids who somehow know kung-fu. This has been stated already.

Also if you are going to write homosexuals, please make an attempt to not make them inherently void of all salient life. This is the most annoying, I think, fundamentally, as I write lots of genderqueer or other characters (I relate) and it's unfathomable when the game is all just about shipping. It can be a facet, don't make it the main defining trait. Then you are trivializing it and it's not that fun. LGBT+ women and men in games are not your wankfest. There is no need to fit people into hard/fast categories for sake of pairings. Try to be realistic here. Not everyone in the game can be all gay men. I am tired of this.

I blame GaiaOnline for 90% of my roleplay cliche hatreds.

Scylla said:
Werewolf packs and no, by werewolves I do not mean the classic kind which are people who turn into rampaging bipedal wolves on the full moon night. I'm talking about humans who turn into wolves at will.
^This.

And vampires who "look like they're 17 but are actually 271". Seriously. And if you are low enough to pull that off, at least be realistic with it. Someone who's lived that long will not have childlike innocence or teenage lust. They've been alive for over a hundred years. They've seen shit. They will be cruel and uncaring at the very least. Unless you've done something really creative with it. Then kudos to you. :o

Also high school roleplays. I don't mind them when I need something light and fluffy, because that's mostly what they should be. But almost all of them are full of characters that are edgy because their family was killed by a murderer.

And on the topic of being edgy. There are tons of people here who've explained it much better than I have. Many tragic backstories include a character losing something (mostly their abusive parents) and explain why the character is so gloomy and bitchy all the time. But not even that makes sense. Generally, someone who's lost something wants to move past it and onto other, more hopeful things, rather than crying about it and thinking about only it until another person as edgy as them makes them fall in love.

But that's just me and my own salt

If I think of something later, I'll post it. :v

[QUOTE="Salt Lord]^This.
And vampires who "look like they're 17 but are actually 271". Seriously. And if you are low enough to pull that off, at least be realistic with it. Someone who's lived that long will not have childlike innocence or teenage lust. They've been alive for over a hundred years. They've seen shit. They will be cruel and uncaring at the very least. Unless you've done something really creative with it. Then kudos to you. :o

Also high school roleplays. I don't mind them when I need something light and fluffy, because that's mostly what they should be. But almost all of them are full of characters that are edgy because their family was killed by a murderer.

And on the topic of being edgy. There are tons of people here who've explained it much better than I have. Many tragic backstories include a character losing something (mostly their abusive parents) and explain why the character is so gloomy and bitchy all the time. But not even that makes sense. Generally, someone who's lost something wants to move past it and onto other, more hopeful things, rather than crying about it and thinking about only it until another person as edgy as them makes them fall in love.

But that's just me and my own salt

If I think of something later, I'll post it. :v

[/QUOTE]
Or anything that has followed the hype train of Twilight or most YA. Where supernatural creatures are all misunderstood hotties that secretly need a girlfriend to make them stop being monsters and morph into some weird prince charming.

Six words.

Beauty and the Beast did it better.

Like look not to be gruesome but if I'm gonna have werewolves and vampires and whatever they are going to be non-human or at least predatory entities. They gonna be eatin' people or at least have some animal instincts.

They are not going to be all about getting into generic love interest number 178888916's panties.

I don't mind any of these character types at all, it's fun to play a normal character alongside them and write about the way an ordinary person would react to these impossible incoherent mish-mashes of whatever the author happened to see on toonami last night.

sarc said:
I don't mind any of these character types at all, it's fun to play a normal character alongside them and write about the way an ordinary person would react to these impossible incoherent mish-mashes of whatever the author happened to see on toonami last night.
bOOOOOOOO YOU SUCK

Actually... that kind of sounds like it would be fun to do. :o

Normal Schoolgirl: Dude. Get your shit together. I am not going out with you.

Edgy Schoolboy: u dont understand1! *insert rant about how his parents were killed by a scientist in order to do horrible experiments on him to turn him into a demon so he could turn back to kill everyone in the lab he was taken to, all at the ripe age of 7*

Normal Schoolgirl: K'.

[QUOTE="Salt Lord]bOOOOOOOO YOU SUCK
Actually... that kind of sounds like it would be fun to do. :o

Normal Schoolgirl: Dude. Get your shit together. I am not going out with you.

Edgy Schoolboy: u dont understand1! *insert rant about how his parents were killed by a scientist in order to do horrible experiments on him to turn him into a demon so he could turn back to kill everyone in the lab he was taken to, all at the ripe age of 7*

Normal Schoolgirl: K'.

[/QUOTE]
Coming off of this, I think it would be funny if a character flat out disbelieved and even mocked someone after hearing that kind of stuff.

Everyman: Sure buddy, you were turned into a DEMON. Seriously, did you get this tripe from the internet or something? Whatever, I don't have time for this bullshit.

Tarquin said:
Coming off of this, I think it would be funny if a character flat out disbelieved and even mocked someone after hearing that kind of stuff.
Everyman: Sure buddy, you were turned into a DEMON. Seriously, did you get this tripe from the internet or something? Whatever, I don't have time for this bullshit.
Pretty sure all of use were turned into a demon and killed scientists when we were seven lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back