Rock, Paper, Scissors Death Match on a Boat.

cokemonster

One Thousand Club
<p>

Project: In The Red Inspirations: 9 Hours, 9 Numbers, 9 Doors / Danganronpa / The Locked Room (Interest Thread by SilverSkyWolf) / Kaiji (anime) (Edit: At Post #14) A detailed RP modern mystery focusing on character actions, discussion, deductive skills, and psychological trickery. 7-10 RPCs will awake on a small cruiseship circling the Bermuda Triangle. They have all signed up for a test for some make-believe company. They will begin after the first night of the cruise, allowing for each character to know basic introductions and ship layout before beginning. Knowledge open to other characters will be on their CSs, all secret knowledge pm’d to me. All characters must have a need or desire for money to sign up for this strange test (I might allow interesting exceptions). They will awake with encumbering collars and a sense that things are not right. The P.A. system will instruct them to meet in the lounge, where a video will play on the monitor with or without all characters present. A mysterious figure will give them a run down on the rules of “Restricted Rock, Paper, Scissors”. The game is basically Rock, Paper, Scissors, except for a few slight changes. Characters are free to challenge whoever they wish. Each character will be given a set amount of cards (2 cards of each type, for example). The exact number depends on how many players and rounds there will be in total. They <strong>choose</strong> a card, <strong>set</strong> it down, and <strong>flip</strong>. A win will result in 1 Million dollars being dispensed on the winner’s side. A loss will result in one glowing strike on the character’s collar. A draw results in both characters receiving a strike. Three strikes, you die. At the end of the RRPS game, all cards must be played or the character dies. Cards played must be inserted into the special playing tables for counting. Playing is entirely optional. This is the meat of the RP. During the <strong>choose</strong> phase, players will PM me their choice of card, and are encouraged to give their character’s thought process when they are playing until they set their card. The players themselves will relay only what spectators see them doing or saying in the main thread (fidgeting, mumbling, posture, how fast they dealt their card). This is to <em>hopefully</em> have intense conversations and over the top screeches/speeches as they set their card down. Once both players <strong>set</strong> their cards, I will then post both private perspectives at the same time in one post (dual tabs) to give both the characters and players a sense of surprise and anticipation. The <strong>flip</strong> results will be dished out in the same post, and then the control will then be given back to the players. Between rounds of this game, I’m <em>hoping</em> characters will explore the ship and uncover documents as to clue in who is running this whole thing. Doors will locked behind people. Solvable riddles. The threat of death if one fails. There will also be personal documents on character’s backgrounds which might lead to unsavory revelations of pasts. Or they might be lies. Who knows who to trust, anyways? This is the side dish of the RP, which I think is doable and could lead to interesting stuff. It seems too bold to have to coordinate detailed puzzle rooms and the RRPS game, so I might cut that part and replace it with simple exploration and discovery. I’m surprised anyone’s read this far. Sorry, but that was just the idea. Now I need input. This isn’t an interest check. This idea is far from being a good RP in my opinion. I’d greatly appreciate any input you’re willing to give. 1. I don’t like the “Baseball system”, and that draws result in 2 total strikes, but it’s the only thing I can come up with for players not to simply pick draws every time. Characters will have an ingame need to betray each other, but I have a sinking feeling most RPers are too nice to do that to each other. However, drawing will probably lead to premature deaths and no fun for players. 2. What do you think of it all? Is the idea theoretically fun? Do you think it is actually playable? Or would it crash and burn due to meta gaming or just not garner enough interest? Is it incompatible with the general RPers on this site? Is there a select group I should find for this? 3. Do you think plain murder should be prohibited, resulting in death or a strike? 4. Is the RP too strict/railroady? Besides the strict “RRPS” game within a game, I want the players to be able to do anything humanly possible in the situation. Jumping off the boat? Doable, but you’d need the other characters to save you somehow. Never play RRPS? Your character would be mighty bored and poor, but there are other things to do on the ship. And as long as they discover a “legal” way to get rid of their cards, they’d survive. 5. Any suggestions to improve this idea? 6. I have 0 experience with mystery/deathmatch RPs. Any recommendations to learn from?

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question: what exactly is the million dollars per win for? Can the players use it to buy something that gives them a competitive edge? Can they bribe other players with it? Otherwise, it seems fairly useless as the threat of character death is the only real incentive to win.

Otherwise, I'm personally dubious about competitive rps because of the potential for people to get over-competitive. Keep in mind that you'll need a very cooperative group who are all on the same page and careful moderation, or else it might all end in bickering, and that's no fun.

[QUOTE="Saccharine Cyanide]I have a question: what exactly is the million dollars per win for? Can the players use it to buy something that gives them a competitive edge? Can they bribe other players with it? Otherwise, it seems fairly useless as the threat of character death is the only real incentive to win.
Otherwise, I'm personally dubious about competitive rps because of the potential for people to get over-competitive. Keep in mind that you'll need a very cooperative group who are all on the same page and careful moderation, or else it might all end in bickering, and that's no fun.

[/QUOTE]
Over competition is the true killer of this, I agree. And yes, the one million can be used for bribing or anything else they can think of. Bribing for cards/wins is the only thing I can think of they'd ever use it for. But then, what is the point of bribing for wins... Yes. The system needs more thought put into it.

The RP reason to hoard as much money as possible is the the characters need it for some reason. That would most likely be at the lowest of the competitive player's mind however.

cokemonster said:
Over competition is the true killer of this, I agree. And yes, the one million can be used for bribing or anything else they can think of. Bribing for cards/wins is the only thing I can think of they'd ever use it for. But then, what is the point of bribing for wins... Yes. The system needs more thought put into it.
The RP reason to hoard as much money as possible is the the characters need it for some reason. That would most likely be at the lowest of the competitive player's mind however.
Maybe they could use the money to buy trump cards. Though, that would add an element of unfairness...

Maybe they could pay a certain amount of money to remove one of their strikes?

Trump card? I like that idea. As in... pay let's say 3 million for a random card that no one would know what it is. If that were something, it'd need to be expensive or else everyone would buy them, thus making keeping track of everyone's cards rather moot. Also, people who buy trump cards would find it hard to find someone willing to challenge them, sense it is risky to play against a Donald Trump. That's what I think would happen anyways.

Removing a strike would be something ridiculous like 8 million. Remember that the money of a dead player stays on their body, and can be grabbed. It should probably be a rule that it goes to the winner automatically, sense characters might fight and players might bicker about who looted first. Characters can also give money to others if they have some reason to (alliances, soft spot for someone like if a young teen playing).

The costs really depend on the number of rounds and players.

Do they get the cards back after they play them? You have it specified that they have to get rid of all their cards or they die, but then they can only play six times (only earning a max of 6 million themselves directly from the cards). So, if the players do not get cards back, and one of the players has two strikes and one card remaining, someone paying attention can use it to kill off the other character. Maybe the person with two strikes takes a card from someone else in an attempt to fake out their opponent, but then does the strike/money go to the person who played the card or who owned the card?

NemoTheSurvivor said:
Do they get the cards back after they play them? You have it specified that they have to get rid of all their cards or they die, but then they can only play six times (only earning a max of 6 million themselves directly from the cards). So, if the players do not get cards back, and one of the players has two strikes and one card remaining, someone paying attention can use it to kill off the other character. Maybe the person with two strikes takes a card from someone else in an attempt to fake out their opponent, but then does the strike/money go to the person who played the card or who owned the card?
Ah hahaha! That's the exact kind of situation I want happening. Where one character is on the brink, has one card, and most if not all knows what card it is. The thing is, did they switch cards with someone? If so, who? When did they do it? Who were they alone with? And what cards did they have left in their arsenal? Or is one party overthinking it, and the single card character just giving up and playing to get it over with?

This makes me think that a lot would have to be done in private conversations with me moderating them whenever characters become separated/ alone together... that seems daunting... I'm also rambling.

Ahem. Sorry. Let me clarify!

The maximum 6 card limit is purely an example. I have no idea what a good ratio is. Be it 6 players, 8 players, 10 players, or even an odd number of players. There would have to be a calculated set limit so that all cards balance out with each other.

(Character A = Player with 2 strikes, 1 card) (Character B = Opponent) (Character C = Trader)

No matter how you obtain cards, if you play them, they count as your win or loss. Cards are not specified to a character or collar. So long as they are inserted into the play table, the money or strike is rightfully Character A's. There could have been a deal in place that the money goes to Character C upon a win. But, Character A betrays him and keeps it. That's legal, because trading deals are not upheld by the rules, but are also not disallowed.

cokemonster said:
1. I don’t like the “Baseball system”, and that draws result in 2 total strikes, but it’s the only thing I can come up with for players not to simply pick draws every time. Characters will have an ingame need to betray each other, but I have a sinking feeling most RPers are too nice to do that to each other. However, drawing will probably lead to premature deaths and no fun for players.
Ideas:

1. The baseball system is unoriginal, you can make a fully original system, like if you fail, you lose a token. What's a token? Tokens are worth a million dollars in a small, compact coin. Every person has three to start with.
  2. Instead of ya' know a very basic draw, make a format that every match, everyone has to switch cards.

Not saying that you should be forced to do it, but you are your own man.

TrippyVirus said:
Ideas:
  1. The baseball system is unoriginal, you can make a fully original system, like if you fail, you lose a token. What's a token? Tokens are worth a million dollars in a small, compact coin. Every person has three to start with.
  2. Instead of ya' know a very basic draw, make a format that every match, everyone has to switch cards.

Not saying that you should be forced to do it, but you are your own man.
Did you just assume by gender?

Kidding. Did you check my profile just to be sure? Probably not. Anyways:

Tokens sound very much like what the main inspiration for this (Kaiji) did. In the anime, everyone had 3 stars on a nice little plaque on their chest like a name card. If you won: Get a star. If you loss: Lose a star. Draw: Nothing happened but wasted cards. They had to have 3 stars and no cards by the end of it all, or they would lose all of their money and be in debt. The stars were pivotal and were bought and sold at the end of the game between those with extra of either money or stars.

Point of all that was I may just rip off that in total if the Baseball system is bland.

Switching cards or hands with other players completely defeats the keeping track of other's cards. At that point, a lot of randomness comes in. I'd determine who gets who's cards by dice rolls, and I don't want to add that kind of complexity to it. Plus the added luck of getting someone's hand who didn't play at all to someone with only 1 card. That adds a different level of strategy (people waiting until they get a decent hand, versus going in with another player's hand) that I think is boring. There's no point to saving cards in that state.

Unless you meant JUST for draws. Which I still don't think I'll implement.

cokemonster said:
Did you just assume by gender?
Kidding. Did you check my profile just to be sure? Probably not. Anyways:

Tokens sound very much like what the main inspiration for this (Kaiji) did. In the anime, everyone had 3 stars on a nice little plaque on their chest like a name card. If you won: Get a star. If you loss: Lose a star. Draw: Nothing happened but wasted cards. They had to have 3 stars and no cards by the end of it all, or they would lose all of their money and be in debt. The stars were pivotal and were bought and sold at the end of the game between those with extra of either money or stars.

Point of all that was I may just rip off that in total if the Baseball system is bland.
Contradictions/Ideas after response:

If possible, Implement Red Tokens. if you possess 3 red tokens, you're dead.

Anyway, The second input:

cokemonster said:
2. What do you think of it all? Is the idea theoretically fun? Do you think it is actually playable? Or would it crash and burn due to meta gaming or just not garner enough interest? Is it incompatible with the general RPers on this site? Is there a select group I should find for this?
It's OK. It may fit with general RPers.

This sounds a teeny bit like Liar Game.

I think it sounds fun! If you want to avoid meta gaming, which I agree would be a problem, try rolling dice to determine outcomes. It's simple and effective!

If a character dies because they did something stupid like jump off the boat, that's kinda their fault. I don't think you should worry about that. o3o

TrippyVirus said:
Contradictions/Ideas after response:
If possible, Implement Red Tokens. if you possess 3 red tokens, you're dead.

Anyway, The second input:

It's OK. It may fit with general RPers.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Yampie said:
This sounds a teeny bit like Liar Game.
I think it sounds fun! If you want to avoid meta gaming, which I agree would be a problem, try rolling dice to determine outcomes. It's simple and effective!

If a character dies because they did something stupid like jump off the boat, that's kinda their fault. I don't think you should worry about that. o3o
This is encouraging to hear. I'm not sure how dice rolls could be implemented. Unless like... a player chooses a card at random, then dice could be used. But yeah, thanks for the idea.

cokemonster said:
3. Do you think plain murder should be prohibited, resulting in death or a strike?
If someone murders someone else, then the numbers would dwindle fast if you execute the killer.

Then the RP would finish for almost a week.

Try to make the killer pay a huge loan, like seven and a half million.

TrippyVirus said:
If someone murders someone else, then the numbers would dwindle fast if you execute the killer.
Then the RP would finish for almost a week.

Try to make the killer pay a huge loan, like seven and a half million.
Well of course the RP would die if people ACTUALLY went through with it. That'd be hilarious/horrible. It's like countries with nukes. The rule is only there to ward off the actual act of murder. But if someone actually did do it... Then a debt of an exorbitant amount could be better.

cokemonster said:
Well of course the RP would die if people ACTUALLY went through with it. That'd be hilarious/horrible. It's like countries with nukes. The rule is only there to ward off the actual act of murder. But if someone actually did do it... Then a debt of an exorbitant amount could be better.
Idea after response:

Maybe ten? or twelve mil for the debt?

cokemonster said:
4. Is the RP too strict/railroady? Besides the strict “RRPS” game within a game, I want the players to be able to do anything humanly possible in the situation. Jumping off the boat? Doable, but you’d need the other characters to save you somehow. Never play RRPS? Your character would be mighty bored and poor, but there are other things to do on the ship. And as long as they discover a “legal” way to get rid of their cards, they’d survive.
I can't think of any ideas. Sorry man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back