• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Riverworld (Detailed RP)

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Link to Overview

This RP is largely derived from Phillip Jose’s Farmer’s Riverworld books. There will, however, be major changes. While I love the original version, I am going to shy away from historical figures. I plan on a much smaller population and cross section of human civilization. I also intend on a very, VERY different alien influence and purpose. What follows here was edited from the wikipedia of Riverworld. Again, there are several major variations.

This Riverworld is an Earthlike planet, terraformed to consist solely of a single long river-valley. The river's source is a small North Polar sea, from which it follows a course tightly zig-zagging across one hemisphere before flowing into another, along an equally labyrinthine path, to the same sea. The river has an average depth of 1.5 miles, and is shallow near the shore but plunges to enormous depths towards the channel. The banks are generally smooth and gentle, expanding into wide plains on either side, then assuming jagged hills before an impenetrable mountain range. The valley averages 9 miles in width, but includes narrows and occasional widenings into lakes with islands. From source to mouth, the river is 10 million miles long. There are no seasons, and daily variations are metronomic. The only animal life consists of fish and soil worms. The vegetation is lush and of great variety, including trees, flowering vines, several kinds of fast-growing bamboo, and a resilient mat of grass which covers the plains.

The Riverworld has no visible moon, but a great number of stellar objects in the sky, including gas sheets and stars close enough to show a visible disk.

Since about 50,000 BC there have been an estimated 100-115 billion humans. (You know that question about what if the dead all rose up at once ….? Well, now you have an idea how many there would be.) The story of Riverworld begins when about 360 million humans are simultaneously resurrected along the river. These are from the 20th to early 21st century. The estimated population concentration works out to an average of 18 people per linear mile of shoreline per side of the river. However they all awaken with short walks to the nearest Grail stone, so they will tend to be clumped in modest sized groups - typically 30-90. (The grail stones are placed about every 3 miles.)

This population grouping will have come from North America. That is they were on the North American continent when they died. Yes, that’s right. You died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back