• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Return of the Scarlet Empress - IC 3e

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The smoke and screaming sems to both be coming from the main counsel chamber, but it is clear that there has been trouble coming along the halls with other bodies and blood spatter.

Perlata looks about her in sheer horror at the level of carnage, trailing after Reyna with weapon at the ready. More from hope than any expectation, she checks a few of the bodies for any signs of life still remaining.

(Perception + Medicine - 2 successes)

Between hovered behind his sister, prepared to leap before her at a moments notice should battle be joined by actual opponents. The song of sorrow hovered at the back of his throat, a lament for the passage of the entire Fellowship save a few like them. Yet it is is the site of casually staked pile of bodies of the staffers he loved to mess with, drink with, and just waste the hours over useless fact checking that brought him to his knees. Tears fell from his eyes like crystalline jewels, his sorrow transformed his face into the picture of perfect sadness.

But this was not the end, no this was the beginning! Looking around, Between noted the barricade that didn't hold, splintered inward by something that could save in a Yu-Shan door. The smoke billowing in not out. There was an active fire somewhere. This place, a shrine the Fellowship, the relationships that had stood the 100-fold chosen through untold horror and atrocities, miracles and salvations all to keep the fate of Creation and its so many relationships going...had broken, was breaking.

Then the sound of screaming caught Between's ears and song burst from his mouth as he rushed heedless through the barrier and into the heart of this nightmare. It is a haunting melody that weaves through the chaos of smoke and screams, it carried with it the weight of untold grief and the determination of one who refused to stand idly by while the world burns. His voice, a beacon in the darkness, guided his steps as he rushed first through the shattered remnants of what was once a sanctuary of knowledge and peace.

The Song of Between
In the halls where wisdom slept,
Now lies ruin, and many have wept.
Through shattered door and broken beam,
We walk in a nightmare, not a dream.

The smoke it rises, thick and black,
A testament to the attack.
But in our hearts, a fire burns,
For every fallen, the world turns.

With tear-stained face, yet head held high,
We cannot, will not, let this lie.
Through smoke and ruin, our path we make,
For Creation’s, for our very fate's sake.

The screams that echo, fuel our fight,
Against the dark, we bring the light.
With Reyna’s magic, Perlata’s speed,
We face this horror, plant the seed.

Of hope, of renewal, in this dark hour,
We stand together, we bring the power.
Of Chosen, united, our spirits sing,
In the face of death, let life take wing.

As he broke through the remnants of the barricade, Between’s song was only a lament for the lost but also as a rallying cry for the living. Hopefully there were some living yet.

JOIN BATTLE
  • 3m Awakening the Heartsong Ch: 5Cha + 5 Perf + 3 Intimacy + Singing Charms)
    • +3 Major Tie: Yu-Shan (Reverence) - His training and time in the celestial city have left him with a deep reverence for its traditions and its role in the cosmos.

Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Mastery
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None

Opening battle with her song, the Godslayer declares herself to her foes. This Charm allows the Stylist to Join Battle with a (Charisma 5 + Performance 5) roll rather than a (Wits + Awareness) roll. In addition, the Stylist may reveal one Intimacy relevant to the scene to gain bonus dice equal to its Intensity to her Join Battle roll.

Mastery: The Martial Artist may enhance her roll with Singing Charms as if it was a Social Influence roll.

Health Levels
-0 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Essence: 4
Personal 17 (9 + 2E)
Peripheral: 40/49 (25+ 6E)
  • Serenity of Resplendent Destinies (5m)
  • Gem of Incomparable Wellness (3m)
  • With Hearthstone Amulet (1m)
Willpower: 9
Spoiler: Gaining Willpower

Join Battle: hits +3i
* 8 (Wits + Awareness)
* 11+ (3m Awakening the Heartsong Ch + Perf+Intimacy+Singing Charms)

Hit: 14/11 (4Dex + 5MA + 4Acc + 1Spec)
Dmg: 9 (2Str + 7Hand); 1 Overwhelming

Parry:
  • 5 ([4dex + 5MA] /2 round up)
  • +2 if full defense
Evasion:
  • 5 ([4dex + 5Dodge] /2 round up)
  • Evasion 4 in Serenity of Resplendent Destinies
  • Evasion 6 in Conjoined Destiny Mien (5m, 2i)
  • +2 if full defense

Soak
  • 5: 5 Stam Natural
  • 13: 8 Armor + 5 Stam
  • 15: Destiny of Two Mien (3m)
Hardness
  • 7: 7 Armor
  • 8: Destiny of Two Mien (3m)
Social Combat
  • 4 Guile ([Manipulation + Socialize + specialty] / 2, round up)
  • 6 Resolve ([Wits + Integrity + specialty] / 2, round up)

The smoke and the screaming are both coming from a set of shattered doors leading to the main Conclave chamber. As you round the corner and look in, a scene of utter devastation lies in front of you. Multiple explosions have ripped the room to shreds, blowing a hole in the roof and collapsing much of the chamber. Bodies of your fellow Sidereals lie in heaps across the room, some are fairly intact but others have been ripped apart and are no longer recognisable.

The screaming is common from someone you all know: a fellow Sidereal named Axtis Jen, a Chosen of Battles. Right now, she is pinned to the wall, impaled through the shoulder by a spear being held by a large figure that you all recognize: The Second Circle demon known as Octavian.

Which is a bit strange. While Octavian is a powerful foe, there is no way he could have done this kind of damage to the Fellowship. There are - no, were - too many Chosen that could have easily defeated the demon to say that this devastation was all by his hands.

As you stand there in shock, the demon looks to the helpless woman pinned to the wall and says, "More toys to play with. Excellent. You get to watch as even more of your vaunted Order are slain. I hope you enjoy the show."

With a savage twist of his wrist, Octavian yanks the weapon from the helpless Axtis and she collapses with another agonized scream. Turning to face the three of you, he holds out his hands and says, "Do you like what you see? Years of planning have gone into this event. Quite the successful move, don't you think?" He gives you an evil grin. "I even left one of you alive to tell the tale of this victory, so there is no need for the three of you. Time to die, little Exalts."

Join Battle!

Last edited:
Reyna looks around the room as she carefully steps forward. "Yes, quite impressive. Makes me wonder, how did you manage this on your own? We all know you, and this level of carnage is well beyond your abilities. I just don't see it being possible for you to have been able to accomplish this attack without help. Who is really behind this?"

She hopes that goading the arrogant demon might get some real answers from him before they destroy the intruder.

OOC activating Graceful Crane Stance for 3m, and going to activate the Form Charm for Single Point Shining into the Void for 10m both from Personal Essence

Personal Join Battle is 8i
Sword Join Battle is 6i

Graceful Crane Stance and Single Point Form Charm active.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal 17 / 4
Peripheral: 49 / 40
Committed: 9
Willpower: 10

Join Battle: 9 +3I

Parry: 6 (7 with Crane Form)
Evasion: 5
Guile: 3
Resolve: 3

Soak
Natural: 3
Armor: 5
Hardness: 4
VGF: 3

Virtuous Guardian of Flame
Perception Roll: 11
Guardian's Soak: 8
Hardness: 3
Health Levels:
-0 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ][ ][ ]

Destiny Starmetal Daiklave
Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 3)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Evocations
A user of Destiny may change the result of one die on an attack or damage roll, moving it up or down one digit. For example if a player rolls seven dice with the results “5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 2, 10,” they can change one of the dieʼs digits. In the above example, they might change the “6” up one digit to a “7” thus adding an additional successes. The magic of Destinyʼs evocations directly relates to the numbers rolled on dice. As such some players may also choose to decrease a number rolled.

When a player rolls their attack and it has three “7s” the user increases their weapon parry by 1 for three actions. Should they roll three “7s” again they may increase their parry by an additional 1, to a maximum of their (Melee or Martial Artist, whichever skill they use with Destiny), or extend the duration by 1 action, to a maximum of five actions.
At Essence 3, should they roll six “7s” the user may spend 1 mote to trigger this evocation twice.

Last edited:
As the demonic chaos wrought by Octavian unfurls in the heart of Yu-Shan, Between All Things, a beacon of celestial harmony amidst the discord, prepares to confront this darkness. Drawing deep from his defining principle, "Harmony in all things," he stands as the counter to Octavian's desecration of balance. In this moment, Between does not merely prepare for battle; he initiates a transformative challenge against the demon, employing his unique power to engage in an epic rap battle, a duel of words and wills, to sway the heart of chaos itself.

As the tension in the air thickens, Between's attire undergoes a mystical transformation, a manifestation of his inner resolve and his armor's shifting destiny. His ordinary clothing seamlessly morphs into the Serenity of Resplendent Destinies Armor, its appearance embodying the elegance and strength of a divine protector. The armor, glistening with the potential of unison between wearer and destiny, provides Between with enhanced soak and hardness, fortifying him against the impending onslaught. This transformation, witnessed by allies and foe alike, serves as a prelude to the battle's commencement, symbolizing Between's readiness to defend the celestial order.

Between steps forward, his posture radiating confidence and grace, as he begins to weave his charm, Awakening the Heartsong, into the fabric of the confrontation. His voice, clear and resonant, carries the weight of his conviction, challenging Octavian not through physical might but through the power of his words and the depth of his beliefs.

"In the heart of chaos, where balance is torn,
Stands a beacon of hope, from the heavens born.
Octavian, your fury has shattered the night,
But I stand for harmony, for balance, for light.

Your devastation, a discordant cry,
Against the celestial dance of the sky.
Yet, hear my voice, as I offer you choice,
Let in my [Easygoing Friend Approach]!!!

For every note of rage, of sorrow, of pain,
Can find its counterpoint, its harmony regain.
Let this rap battle, our conflict define,
As I seek to shift your heart, your very design.
"

As Between's verses fill the air, they are more than mere words; they are a manifestation of his martial art, the Harmonious Godslayer Style, a style that seeks not just to defeat but to transform, to realign the intimacies of those it confronts towards balance and harmony.

The scene is tense, charged with the imminent clash of ideals and power. While the air vibrates with the potential for violence and change, Between's rap battle introduces a surreal element, a contest of spirit and intention amidst the physical ruin. As Between prepares for Octavian's response, the air tinged with anticipation.

Would Octavian be momentarily taken aback by the unconventional challenge? It certainly had happened before with spirits and even demons. Between hoped to plant the seed of doubt, of curiosity to instill a positive tie between them. Can this Exalt, with his words and conviction, truly sway the heart of a demon?

Actions: See Join Battle, Serenity of Resplendent Destinies, and a few reflexives waiting in the wind.
Spent 11m during Join Battle = 3m Awakening the Heartsong + 4m 1st Excellency + 3m Destiny of Two Mien. They all go into Peripheral.
  • JOIN BATTLE 19 roll --> 4 successes + 3base = 7i. (note: I throw 1 too many dice so I removed the success from the last dice)
    1. 3m Awakening the Heartsong Ch: 5Cha + 5 Perf + 4 Intimacy + 5 Singing Excellency).
      1. Defining Principle: "Harmony in all things" (Hope, 4) - Between believes deeply in the importance of balance and harmony, both in the celestial realm and on Creation. Octavian is clearly responsible for shattering the balance between the celestial realm and Creation, shredding the harmony of the Fellowship with Yu-Shan.
  • [Serenity of Resplendent Destinies] Armor's destiny shifts to Destiny of Two Mien (3m):Like two strangers dancing the tango for the first time, Unison and its wearer take the first step in becoming partners as ordinary clothing transforms into battle armor. Upon rolling Join Battle, the wearer may enter this mien to give Unison +2 soak and +1 Hardness.
    • Soak 15: Destiny of Two Mien (3m)
    • Hardness 8: Destiny of Two Mien (3m)
  • Waiting to trigger [Trouble Reduction Strategy] as soon as Ocatavian attacks another!!
  • Have I met Octavian before? If this is the first time then [Easygoing Friend Approach]...If not, what do I know about his Intimacies?
[Easygoing Friend Approach]
Cost: —; Mins: Performance 3, Essence 1​
Type: Permanent​
Keywords: None​
Duration: Permanent​
Prerequisite Charms: None​
The Sidereal moves and speaks in harmony with the fates of those around her, smoothing over hostility, mistrust, and awkwardness.​
People meeting the Sidereal (or her current resplendent destiny) for the first time count as having a Minor Tie of friendship toward her, as do those who share in food, drugs, music, or other sensual pleasures with her. Characters with negative Ties toward her treat them as one step weaker instead.​
  • [Heroic Essence Replenishment (—, perm)] -- Active due to Intimacy.
Cost: —; Mins: Presence 3, Essence 1​
The Sidereal draws power from triumph, shaping the world through dominance and force.​
The Sidereal gains motes equal to the 10s on persuade and threaten rolls she makes with any Ability and attack rolls against nontrivial enemies that align with a Major or Defining Intimacy of courage, recklessness, audacity, or anger.​
When the Sidereal upholds such an Intimacy, she may gain five motes in place of the Willpower she’d normally receive (Exalted, p. 169).​
  • Does this classify as an Auspicious Prospect, being the destruction of the Fellowship and the attack by Malfeans?
    • If so Trigger [Promise of Tomorrow]
      Cost: 2m; Mins: Integrity 4, Essence 1
      Type: Reflexive
      Keywords: None
      Duration: Indefinite
      Prerequisite Charms: Until Hope’s End

The Sidereal may have no hopes, but Creation’s hopes for her sustain her.

The Sidereal can use this Charm upon discerning an auspicious prospect to form a Defining Principle of hope toward fulfilling it. This Intimacy can’t be weakened by any means except the Sidereal’s own Integrity Charms.

Upon fulfilling the auspicious prospect, the Sidereal loses this Principle and rolls (Intimacy) dice. For each success, she may gain one Willpower or lose one Limit.

Reset: Once per story unless reset by fulfilling the chosen prospect.

((Note to self: My reflex and evasion strategy))

[Trouble Reduction Strategy]
Cost: 3m; Mins: Dodge 4, Essence 1​
Type: Reflexive​
Keywords: Uniform​
Duration: One scene​
Prerequisite Charms: Absent Self​
Spotting impending danger to an ally, the Sidereal convinces fate she’s dodged it on his behalf.​
The Sidereal reflexively takes a defend other action using Evasion instead of Parry. Her protection lasts for this Charm’s duration, but the ward must remain within close range to receive it.​
This Charm ends if the Sidereal uses a defend other action on another character.​

[Defense of Shining Joy]
Cost: 4m, 1i; Mins: Performance 4, Essence 2​
Keywords: Dual​
Duration: Instant​
Prerequisite Charms: Perfection in Life​
The Sidereal anticipates her enemy’s every move as if they were dancing together, maneuvering gracefully in perfect counterpoint to his offense.​
The Sidereal adds (Appearance/2, rounded up) Evasion against an attack and dodges even if its successes equal her Evasion. Dodging a decisive attack grants her the Initiative her attacker loses for missing.​

[Awakening the Heartsong]
Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1​
Type: Supplemental​
Keywords: Mastery​
Opening battle with her song, the Godslayer declares herself to her foes. This Charm allows the Stylist to Join Battle with a (Charisma 5 + Performance 5) roll rather than a (Wits + Awareness) roll. In addition, the Stylist may reveal one Intimacy relevant to the scene to gain bonus dice equal to its Intensity to her Join Battle roll.​
Mastery: The Martial Artist may enhance her roll with Singing Charms as if it was a Social Influence roll.​

((Note to self: After his [Form is Active], I can combo flurry without penalty instill actions to further essence regeneration))
[Essence Replenishment]
Cost: —; Mins: Performance 3, Essence 1​
The Sidereal may go unrecognized, but she’s a central figure in the lives of others, empowered by the lives and relationships that revolve around her.​
The Sidereal gains motes equal to the 9s and 10s on rolls with any Ability to inspire positive emotions, instill positive Ties, weaken negative Ties, or make bargains involving sensual pleasures. This can’t exceed the number of motes spent enhancing the roll.​
When the Sidereal upholds a Major or Defining Intimacy’s that’s a positive Tie or compassionate Principle, she may gain five motes in place of the Willpower she’d normally receive.​
[Impossible-to-Remember Party Approach]
Cost: 4m; Mins: Performance 3, Essence 1​
Type: Simple​
Keywords: Mute​
Duration: One performance​
Prerequisite Charms: Easygoing Friend Approach​
Standing at the center of attention, the Sidereal makes whatever party she attends a night to remember — or to regret.​
As long as the Sidereal performs, her audience counts as having a Minor Principle of “I should throw caution to the wind and give in to the temptation.” Characters with Principle of asceticism, temperance, discipline, or self-restraint instead treat their intensity as one step lower. This Charm’s performance is incompatible with influence rolls.​

[Heart-Brightening Presentation Style]
Cost: 4m; Mins: Performance 3, Essence 1​
Type: Supplemental​
Keywords: Mute​
Duration: Instant Prerequisite Charms: None​
The Sidereal answers the needs and desires of her audience with unfaltering grace and ingenious improvisation.​
The Sidereal’s Appearance adds bonus dice on an inspire roll to create happiness or other positive emotions. If she succeeds, each affected target’s player must also weaken one of their Intimacies based on negative emotions by one step.​
((Note to Self: Countering Damage))
[The Maiden Stumbles]
Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Performance 5, Essence 3​
Keywords: Counterattack, Withering-only​
Prerequisite Charms: Beauty in Misfortune, Defense of Shining Joy​
Overwhelmed by foes, the Sidereal sees how they might yet complete the pattern of her victory.​
After suffering decisive damage, the Sidereal can use this Charm to make a withering counterattack, rolling ([Appearance or Stamina] + Performance) opposing her enemy’s attack roll. The counterattack is unsoakable and has (Essence + Willpower) raw damage. Each success on her damage roll negates one level of decisive damage; any excess success inflicts withering damage as usual after her attacker’s Initiative resets.​
Reset: Once per scene unless reset by suffering enough decisive damage to increase the Sidereal’s wound penalty or using Beauty in Misfortune.​

Intimacies​

1. Defining Principle: "Harmony in all things" (Hope, 4) - Between believes deeply in the importance of balance and harmony, both in the celestial realm and on Earth.
  2. Major Tie: "Reyna San is my beloved sister." (Love, 3) - Between had his mortal name stolen, but both Reyna and him were born under a convergence of fate as fraternal twins.
  3. Major Tie: Yu-Shan (Reverence, 3) - His training and time in the celestial city have left him with a deep reverence for its traditions and its role in the cosmos.
  4. Major Tie: The Bronze Faction (Loyalty, 4) - He is loyal to the goals and methods of his faction, believing in their necessity for the greater good.
  5. Minor Tie: Music (Love, 2) - His love for music and performance is a key part of his identity and how he interacts with the world.
  6. Minor Principle: "Avoid unnecessary conflict, 2" - In line with his caste and role, he believes in resolving disputes through diplomacy and understanding rather than violence.

Health Levels
-0 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal 17 (9 + 2E)
Peripheral: 40/49 (25+ 6E)
  • Serenity of Resplendent Destinies (5m)
  • Gem of Incomparable Wellness (3m)
  • With Hearthstone Amulet (1m)
Willpower: 9
Spoiler: Gaining Willpower

Join Battle: hits +3i
* 8 (Wits + Awareness)
* 11+ (3m Awakening the Heartsong Ch + Perf+Intimacy+Singing Charms)

Hit: 14/11 (4Dex + 5MA + 4Acc + 1Spec)
Dmg: 9 (2Str + 7Hand); 1 Overwhelming

Parry:
  • 6 ([4dex + 5MA+1Song] /2 round up)
  • +2 if full defense
Evasion:
  • 5 ([4dex + 5Dodge + 1Unarmored] /2 round up)
  • Evasion 4 in Serenity of Resplendent Destinies
  • Evasion 6 in Conjoined Destiny Mien (5m, 2i)
  • +2 if full defense

Soak
  • 5: 5 Stam Natural
  • 13: 8 Armor + 5 Stam
  • 15: Destiny of Two Mien (3m)
Hardness
  • 7: 7 Armor
  • 8: Destiny of Two Mien (3m)
Social Combat
  • 4 Guile ([Manipulation + Socialize + specialty] / 2, round up)
  • 6 Resolve ([Wits + Integrity + specialty] / 2, round up)

Last edited:
The three Sidereals have been expecting this confrontation. Everything they have seen in Yu-Shan has pointed to the assailant still being present. Present, but not known - until now. Octavian. On the one hand, it made so much sense - on the other, none at all. A hundred possible paths ahead flash through Perlata's mind as she considers the first step on the road to the future. A decision - conserve her powers for now. This doesn't feel like the endgame. Between stands between the other two Sidereals and the demon.

Perlata hefts her fate-blessed table-leg and watches for an opening.

5 on Join Battle

Initiative Order

9 - Octavian
8 - Reyna
8 - Perlata
7 - Between
6 - Sword

Moving slowly, the large demon seems to saunter through the piles of blasted bodies without a care in the world. He says, "You're voice is like shards of glass digging into my ears it is so vile. Perhaps I should keep you alive in a cage, little songbird. Then I would be able to listen to your repulsive cawing any time I want, when I'm not making you scream as you beg for death." Then, with a sudden movement, he lunges out with his metal staff of Malfian iron towards Between in a move designed to crack your ribs of it manages to connect.

OOC he is performing a Withering attack with 8 successes to hit against Between. What defense do you wish to use?
gmimperfecti gmimperfecti

Last edited:
In the shattered remnants of the Conclave chamber, the air thick with the stench of blood and smoke, Between All Things faces the towering menace of Octavian. The demon, a behemoth clad in the dread of countless battlefields, moves with a deceptive slowness through the carnage, his gaze fixed on Between with malevolent intent.

Octavian's voice, a guttural sneer laden with contempt, pierces the tense silence. "Your voice is like shards of glass digging into my ears it is so vile. Perhaps I should keep you alive in a cage, little songbird. Then I would be able to listen to your repulsive cawing any time I want, when I'm not making you scream as you beg for death." With these words, he lunges at Between, his metal staff of Malfian iron cutting through the air, aimed to shatter bone and spirit alike.

Yet, Between, with the grace of the destined and the agility of the wind itself, enacts a dance of evasion that belies the gravity of the moment. Calling upon the depths of his training and the essence of his celestial armor, he slips into the Conjoined Destiny Mien, his form merging with the quicksilver flow of his Serenity of Resplendent Destinies Armor. The armor, now a second skin of compact rings, enhances his evasion, turning his movements into a fluid ballet of avoidance.

With the expenditure of his essence, Between's evasion soars, transforming him into an elusive specter that dances on the edge of perception. As Octavian's strike reaches where Between once stood, it meets only the empty air, his attack thwarted by the Sidereal's foresight and agility.

In the wake of his successful dodge, Between unleashes the Elusive Object of Desire, a charm woven from the very fabric of unfulfilled yearnings. Octavian, momentarily caught in the web of Between's counterattack, finds himself ensnared by a sudden, inexplicable infatuation towards the Sidereal. This new tie, a product of Between's celestial artifice, seeks to bind the demon's will, compelling him towards Between with a desire that clouds judgment and focus.

Between's counterattack, a subtle manipulation of fate and emotion, does not merely aim to evade harm but to redefine the battlefield itself. By instilling this tie of infatuation in Octavian, Between not only avoids the immediate threat but also sets the stage for a confrontation where the lines between attacker and defender, desire and duty, become blurred.

OOC The Crunch: 14m, 3i.
* Evasion from 4 -> 6 in Conjoined Destiny Mien (5m, 2i)
* Evasion 6 -> 9 tie goes to Between with Defense of Shining Joy (4m, 1i)
* Counterattack with Elusive Object of Desire (5m), 10 dice + 2m to change target number from 7 to 5. Got 7 success.

Should successfully dodge after the following:

Evasion 6 in Conjoined Destiny Mien (5m, 2i)
4 motes and 1i on Dodge with the charm

to improve Evasion 6->9 to dodge against Octavian’s 8 attack. Then use Elusive Object of Desire to instill a Tie of Infatuations towards Between.

Conjoined Destiny Mien (5m, 2i): As their destiny’s align, Unison conjoins the Exalt’s power with its own. While in [Destiny of Two Mien], the wearer may shift into this mien as a miscellaneous action. The armor becomes a skintight weave of compact rings like tiny scales — conforming flawlessly to the Exalt’s body — and loses its mobility penalty. Its quicksilver surface allows its wearer to glide between breezes, increasing her Evasion by 1. She may revert to [Destiny of Two Mien] as a miscellaneous action.

Defense of Shining Joy (4m, 1i)
Keywords: Dual
Prerequisite Charms: Perfection in Life

The Sidereal anticipates her enemy’s every move as if they were dancing together, maneuvering gracefully in perfect counterpoint to his offense.

The Sidereal adds 3 Evasion against an attack and dodges even if its successes equal her Evasion. Dodging a decisive attack grants her the Initiative her attacker loses for missing.
[/spoiler]

Elusive Object of Desire (5m)
Keywords: Counterattack, Mute, Uniform Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Absent Self

Wreathed in the fate of desires unfulfilled, the Sidereal is pursued by those who cannot touch her.

If the Sidereal successfully dodges an attack, she counterattacks with an (Appearance + Dodge) instill roll to create a Tie of infatuation toward her. She isn’t perceived as the source of this influence. Against enemies with Defining Ties of infatuation toward the Sidereal, the counterattack succeeds automatically.

If the Sidereal succeeds, her attacker must use his next turn to move toward her (if not already at close range) and attack her. If attacking the Sidereal isn’t possible, he can take another action but can’t attack anyone but her. This costs one Willpower to resist, separate from resisting the instill roll.

Then using an Excellency to reduce the target number from 7 to 5.

The demons' attack is successfully defended against by Between, but while you were successful in avoiding getting hit, the effects of your other Charms don't seem to affect Octavian the way that they are supposed to.

But what does happen is that it works out that all three of you get to respond to this aggressor asst the same time.

Chowlett Chowlett Psychie Psychie gmimperfecti gmimperfecti

Initiative Order

9 - [Octavian]
8 - Reyna <====
8 - Perlata <====
8 - Between <====
6 - Sword

Round Two
8 - Octavian

Perlata watches as Octavian aims a vicious blow at Between, only for the Joybringer to neatly step Out of the Way as if avoiding a walker on the street. As the pair exchange barbed words as well as blows, Perlata scurries forward, past the demon and over to Axtis Jen.

"You'd better still be alive," she mutters, checking Mars's chosen over. Her wounds look grievous, but while she holds a spark of life Perlata knows that fate is prepared to bend the rules. Reaching out and closing her eyes, Perlata utters a brief petition to the spiders - it sounds like "it's really inconvenient for Axtis to be injured right now, and I'd like that not to be the case"; but by the time it reaches the loom it reads a lot more like:

"On the authority of Perlata Dasokin, Chosen of Mercury, Harbinger in the Bureau of Destiny, you are hereby requested, required and authorised to make the following amendments to the tapestry of fate:
  1. That the Shieldbearer known as Axtis Jen, having suffered wounds in the course of her duty, should be relieved of said wounds for as long as this directive remains intact.
  2. That the wounds referred to in paragraph 1 shall be incurred as a debt against Axtis Jen's future fate, to be reinstated at the conclusion of this directive.
  3. That said wounds shall continue to heal and abate at the standard rate even while held in abeyance as a debt
This directive is made by the aforementioned Perlata Dasokin, and is signed by her on behalf of Mercury herself, this day etc. etc."

Assuming Axtis is in fact still alive (if she's not, I'll switch to making a Withering attack) - using Deferred Wounds for 1m, 1wp. Claiming stunt on the Medicine roll; and (since we are newly arrived in Yu-Shan) also invoking a free TN reduction via WSAV (I am conscious my WSAV scope of "first 2 days in a location" may be too broad, feel free to nerf)

Woowee, that's a roll and a half! 7 HL of damage on Axtis are held in abeyance as long as I keep that 1m committed.

Axtis is still alive, but only due to her wide stubborn streak. She's been badly beaten up, but the worst injury by far is the wound to her shoulder where she had been pinned to the wall like a bug. As Perlata sends out her memo, the other woman lets out a sharp hiss as the bones in her shoulder knit back together.

The Chosen of Mars snarls out, "That hurt! Bloody hell! Thank you. If you hadn't shown up when you did....." She struggles to her feet, obviously intending to join the fight against Octavian again.

gmimperfecti gmimperfecti and Psychie Psychie are still up

Reyna is peripherally aware that Perlata is helping the wounded woman, but her main affecting is locked on Octavian. With Between taking some of the focus away from her, she sees an opportunity to drive the demon back and set him up for a finishing blow.

The blade in Reyna's hand moves at lightning speed as she leaps forward, flicking up at the demons' face, intent on breaking his concentration. In a casual voice, she continues to press Octavian, saying, "You still haven't answered me when I asked who is responsible for this act of slaughter. It certainly wasn't you; this is far too complex of a plot for the likes of you to come up with."

OOC with Destiny's power, I have 22 successes to hit
paying 2m to lower my target number to 5, and another 5m to add some extra dice.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal 17 / 4
Peripheral: 49 / 40

Soak

Health Levels:

Evocations
A user of Destiny may change the result of one die on an attack or damage roll, moving it up or down one digit. For example if a player rolls seven dice with the results “5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 2, 10,” they can change one of the dieʼs digits. In the above example, they might change the “6” up one digit to a “7” thus adding an additional successes. The magic of Destinyʼs evocations directly relates to the numbers rolled on dice. As such some players may also choose to decrease a number rolled.

When a player rolls their attack and it has three “7s” the user increases their weapon parry by 1 for three actions. Should they roll three “7s” again they may increase their parry by an additional 1, to a maximum of their (Melee or Martial Artist, whichever skill they use with Destiny), or extend the duration by 1 action, to a maximum of five actions.
At Essence 3, should they roll six “7s” the user may spend 1 mote to trigger this evocation twice.

Reyna lashes out with her blade, but doesn't get nearly the level of response that she was expecting. This opponent is much tougher than you had expected.

gmimperfecti gmimperfecti is up with Between

Initiative Order

9 - [Octavian]
8 - [Reyna]
8 - [Perlata]
8 - Between <====
6 - Sword

Round Two
12 - Reyna
8 - Perlata
6 - Axtis
5 - Octavian

In the immediate aftermath of his masterful evasion, Between All Things, poised in his stance of resilience and harmony, lets a momentary smirk dance across his lips. The tension in the air, thick with the smoke of devastation and the palpable aura of celestial might, is momentarily pierced by Between’s voice, lyrical yet edged with the steel of defiance.

"Octavian, great terror of the abyss, is it the song of harmony that grates your ears, or the realization that even the heart of chaos can be moved by the melody of the heavens?" Between's voice, clear and resonant even amidst the cacophony of battle, carries a taunt designed not just to provoke but to underscore the absurdity of the demon’s mission against the ordained harmony of Creation.

His armor, shimmering with the luminescence of destiny interwoven with his essence, serves as a beacon of his readiness to defend. Between remains vigilant, his senses attuned to the flow of battle, ready to leap into the path of any attack Octavian might direct at his companions. His commitment to protection extends beyond the physical; it is a testament to his belief in the interconnectedness of all things, the very principle of harmony he embodies.

Between’s stance is not just one of defense but of a guardian standing firm against the encroaching darkness, a sentinel who uses wisdom, agility, and the profound connections of fate to shield those around him. His eyes, alight with the fire of determination and sorrow for the fallen, scan the battlefield for any sign of aggression, ready to counter with the grace of a dancer and the precision of a master tactician.

OOC: I just wait. Taunt Ocavian a bit. I'm going to wait and use the following charms if anyone gets attacked.

[Trouble Reduction Strategy]
Cost: 3m; Mins: Dodge 4, Essence 1
Keywords: Uniform
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Absent Self
Spotting impending danger to an ally, the Sidereal convinces fate she’s dodged it on his behalf.
The Sidereal reflexively takes a defend other action using Evasion instead of Parry. Her protection lasts for this Charm’s duration, but the ward must remain within close range to receive it.
This Charm ends if the Sidereal uses a defend other action on another character.

[Defense of Shining Joy]
Cost: 4m, 1i; Mins: Performance 4, Essence 2
Keywords: Dual
Prerequisite Charms: Perfection in Life
The Sidereal anticipates her enemy’s every move as if they were dancing together, maneuvering gracefully in perfect counterpoint to his offense.
The Sidereal adds (Appearance/2, rounded up) Evasion against an attack and dodges even if its successes equal her Evasion. Dodging a decisive attack grants her the Initiative her attacker loses for missing.

An angry expression crosses the face of the demon as both Between and Reyna taunt him. He snarls out with, "Say what you want, girl, it doesn't change the fact that I will be standing over your broken body at the end of the day and the Ebon- and the forces of Malfias will walk the halls of your pathetic Bureau of Destiny!" He then looks over at Between and says, "Oh, don't worry, songbird. You will suffer at my hand for a long, long time."

gmimperfecti gmimperfecti you can add a level two stunt on your next action dirt that post
Psychie Psychie is up with your sword attack

Initiative Order

9 - [Octavian]
8 - [Reyna]
8 - [Perlata]
8 - Between- delay
6 - Sword <====

Round Two
12 - Reyna
8 - Perlata
6 - Axtis
5 - Octavian

With seeming to have a life of its own, Renya's daiklave lashes out in a deadly dance. She smiles to herself as the large demon gives away a hint; starting to say a very familiar name - the Ebon Dragon. The Primordial is certainly capable of the level of planning needed to make this disaster possible.

15 successes to hit
paying 2m to lower my target number to 5, and another 5m to add some extra dice.
+1 Parry until Action #4

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal 17 / 4
Peripheral: 49 / 33

Soak

Health Levels:

Evocations

With a sudden swing off his staff, the demon manages to deflect most of the effect of the hit, and you only score five successes. His soak is 15.

This time, when the sword comes at Octavian, he stumbles over one of the bodies that litter the floor. This puts him off balance in a critical way, and puts your sword into a prime position to strike.

Psychie Psychie is up for her round two attacks.

9 - [Octavian]
8 - [Reyna]
8 - [Perlata]
8 - Between- delay
6 - Sword

Round Two - everyone gets five motes of Essence back.
23 - Sword <====
12 - Reyna
8 - Perlata
8 - Between - delaying
6 - Axtis
Crashed - Octavian

Setting the demon is off balance and vulnerable, Reyna lashes out with a Decisive attack, hoping to do some sizable damage to him. In a casual tone, she says, "Give my best to the Ebon Dragon."

Edit: 11 successes to hit

You manage to connect. Roll your 23 dice of damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back