Tech Requesting help for "new" laptoo

Strawberry Creme

The Gay Cousin™
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hello everyone. I have gone done fucked up.

I had a computer.

My computer broke.

I bought a second hand computer off a trusted friend. It's an HP stream, good condition, she needed it gone because they're moving and upgraded about a year ago.

My friend thought she factory reset it, turns out she did not.

I tried to factory reset it, and there is not enough space on the drive.

Now here's the kicker: as they have not used the laptop in a year, her husband has forgotten the password.

That's right folks. I bought a computer with no password and no way to factory reset it without clearing space on the drive. Sue me, I'm bad at this stuff. Please help me.

I have tried to Google and Bing and got nothing. My question is this: does anyone here know how I can reset this computer without a password and without enough space on the drive?

Or did I just waste 70 bucks?

Oops​

I don't know if this works anymore but as soon as it powers on and is in the start up screen try to hit, I think it's F7 or F12 for a hard reset. See if that works otherwise you might have to pay someone to wipe it clean since the guy doesn't remember the password.

Not sure if you've already done something by now, but just as another option you'd have is that you can try a clean install of the OS yourself if you have an extra USB stick at least 8GB or so. If it's Windows 10:
  1. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool: Download Windows 10
  2. When you run it you'll see two options. "Upgrade this PC now" and "Create installation media".
  3. Choose that second option and direct it to turn your USB into installation media.
  4. When it's done, turn off the computer but keep the USB plugged in.
  5. Spam the F9 key while turning it back on until a little menu comes up giving you an option to select your USB. If F9 doesn't work, then it could be another key.
  6. Run through the installation steps and completely delete all the partitions listed when you get to that screen in the installer. This will clear everything on the hard drive so that you'll have plenty of space.
That was just a basic rundown of how you can go about it, but refer to this article for full steps with pictures: How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 the Easy Way

Windows 7 would be the same steps 4-6. To get an ISO for Windows 7, go here: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Anyways though, either way I hope you either got it fixed or will get it fixed :xFsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back