• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Removing the Status Update Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count Gensokyo

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a Fair & Balanced Game
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Alright, so, here's the context. I had a previous discussion with the admins about the continuous breaking of RPNation's Rule #7 of keeping a positive environment. I received clear answers to my questions and was told to report any status updates that might be violating the rule.

Fast forward a few days later, and (through no real fault of the mods or admins) people are still blatantly disregarding the rule, even when I quote it from the thread for the site's rules. This usually results in arguments from emotion, claims that they can post anything they want on their profiles, and requests for me to stop posting on their updates. My estimates aren't completely accurate, but I'd say that a solid 40-50% of status updates on the feed are venting, rants, or anecdotes about uncomfortable topics (also mentioned in rule #7) that don't promote a positive environment like stated in the rule.

One of the admins mentioned the idea of removing the status feed in the future as a solution, and although I was hesitant then, I'm rather firm in what I think now. I believe that we need to remove the update feed if people aren't willing to follow the guidelines that the administration has set forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have an inclination; that's fine. I'm only saying that from a legal perspective, what's going on currently isn't OK.

I do love status updates, but I think the front page would be better off with a semi-live feed of new threads instead; due to positive/appropriate environment concerns. I don't want potential new users to see all the drama that some of us fling around openly on the front page.

tbh i find it a little annoying who people go on there to whine about stuff idgas about, but it's hard to enforce this kinda thing/draw a line.

"Legal perspective" Legally, we have the right to free-speech. I think you meant from a "forum perspective" 

"Legal" is defined as "Of, relating to, or concerned with law." "Rule" is defined as "An authoritative, prescribed direction for conduct, especially one of the regulations governing procedure in a legislative body or a regulation observed by the players in a game, sport, or contest." Since Rule #7 is the rule being discussed and RPNation's administration is the legislative body in this case, this is therefore a legal matter.

tbh i find it a little annoying who people go on there to whine about stuff idgas about, but it's hard to enforce this kinda thing/draw a line.

This is where that suggestion I heard would come into play: this doesn't become a concern anymore if the feed is removed and possibly replaced with something else. I really liked @welian's idea, actually.

I wouldn't want the status update feature itself to be wholly eliminated because there are some users who use it to alert others when they are going to be absent. I mean there is the course of creating a whole topic of your absence in the Personal Discussion and tag those users who need to see it, but the status update feature makes this easier. 

Now I do support replacing the live feed of status updates on the front page with recently created roleplays and maybe even allow a little bulletin for GMs to advertise their roleplays. Status updates I feel have become rather too...dramatic. That the function of status updates may have strayed from its initial purpose. 

tatus updates I feel have become rather too...dramatic. That the function of status updates may have strayed from its initial purpose. 

That's the problem that I have with this whole issue. Status updates are supposed to be a good thing, but some people are consistently misusing them, causing this feature to lose a lot of its original meaning.

That's the problem that I have with this whole issue. Status updates are supposed to be a good thing, but some people are consistently misusing them, causing this feature to lose a lot of its original meaning.

Mmm yeah I see what you mean. Perhaps if the character count is limited in these posts? Or...hm...allowing a function to where other users cannot comment on the status update. Limitations could probably lessen the flare of emotion that it can spark and perhaps allow its original intent to arise. Don't know. But it may be better to take it out altogether? 

Mmm yeah I see what you mean. Perhaps if the character count is limited in these posts? Or...hm...allowing a function to where other users cannot comment on the status update. Limitations could probably lessen the flare of emotion that it can spark and perhaps allow its original intent to arise. Don't know. But it may be better to take it out altogether? 

I think it's better not to make exceptions, lest cries of "unfair!" ring out and cause even more issues. I think it's better to just get rid of it in one fell swoop, like a band-aid.

If you don't like it, don't flipping look at it. Sheesh. Does EVERYONE have to act like a damn SJW here? All the OP is doing is acting like a SJW. Being offended because others MIGHT be offended. Go do the quality roleplayers here (however FEW REMAIN) a favor and take your whining to PMs.

Freaking hell. I could make a rant about the quality of roleplayers going to crap but then that would rile up the obviously SJWesque OP and besides people have enough to be irked about.

I don't care if my opinion gets ignored because its the logical answer. At least I don't get offended because others MIGHT HAVE A POSSIBILITY TO BE "OFFENDED" I am offended ONLY because I (ME, MYSELF. HOW the bleep else can I get this through your thick heads. Or is it thin? Doesn't matter. Same freaking thing to me.) am offended based on MY PERSONAL VALUES. So buzz off and leave us quality, caring roleplayers alone. Plenty of other sites exist to be whiny underage minded immature brats. I have been on those sites. I can GLADLY give you a list so the roleplayers who give a (poop) can be in peace.

Please take a look at RPNation's Rule #7 and everything that's just been discussed before you come here just to ramble about me supposedly being an SJW.

@Macrofurry_Writings

Instead of banning it entirely, they should just shorten the word count. So if people need a proper rant, they are forced into the personal forum where they are allowed to.

Otherwise, I feel like it's a little too strict to put a complete ban on someone letting out a simple vent in their status update. So long as they aren't being vulgar or disrespecting another user, they should be allowed their emotions.

I don't know if the site is being strict or if you're just being a teacher's pet, but frankly if a site strangles people with ridiculous rules and punishments too much, they're gonna lose their user base. I've seen it happen and watched a website go from bustling with activity, being so full of passionate and committed members--to getting shut down completely because they started to change things up, making it too strict, and thus becoming too difficult to socialize on without someone slapping you on the wrist constantly. 

In the end, you gotta realize that to some extent, the users on this site are still human.

If you don't like it, don't flipping look at it. Sheesh. Does EVERYONE have to act like a damn SJW here? All the OP is doing is acting like a SJW. Being offended because others MIGHT be offended. Go do the quality roleplayers here (however FEW REMAIN) a favor and take your whining to PMs.

Freaking hell. I could make a rant about the quality of roleplayers going to crap but then that would rile up the obviously SJWesque OP and besides people have enough to be irked about.

I don't care if my opinion gets ignored because its the logical answer. At least I don't get offended because others MIGHT HAVE A POSSIBILITY TO BE "OFFENDED" I am offended ONLY because I (ME, MYSELF. HOW the bleep else can I get this through your thick heads. Or is it thin? Doesn't matter. Same freaking thing to me.) am offended based on MY PERSONAL VALUES. So buzz off and leave us quality, caring roleplayers alone. Plenty of other sites exist to be whiny underage minded immature brats. I have been on those sites. I can GLADLY give you a list so the roleplayers who give a (poop) can be in peace.

Wow...lol.

I took a moment to read this thread. As I do agree with @Captain Gensokyo, I also agree with some of what you said @Macrofurry_Writings. But what most folks should do is look at it at different perspectives. Yes, it is a rule and something we should try to follow as a guideline. Yes, it's quite helpful and convenient. Also, yes it's our option to just say random nonsense and spam with memes and gifs and other stuff. But you don't need to go that low to express your opinion. It's just not cool.

@Macrofurry_Writings Nice throwaway account, m80.

@Captain Gensokyo I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. I've been saying for a while now that the status updates being so prominent have really harmed the site. I'll admit that I'm hardly a bastion of positivity at times, but I can only handle so many cries of "I'm grounded/had a minor argument/etc etc and life is ruined forever". You can't really enforce that rule against the collective angst. Add to that the fact that we can't block the status updates that are shown on the front page because reasons and it seems like a recipe for trouble.

If I really wanted a Twitter I'd just go and get a Twitter. So yeah, while I'm not a fan of outright taking options away I do feel like @welian's suggestion is a fair compromise.

Edit: I'm bad at tagging. Whoops.

Instead of banning it entirely, they should just shorten the word count. So if people need a proper rant, they are forced into the personal forum where they are allowed to.

Otherwise, I feel like it's a little too strict to put a complete ban on someone letting out a simple vent in their status update. So long as they aren't being vulgar or disrespecting another user, they should be allowed their emotions.

I don't know if the site is being strict or if you're just being a teacher's pet, but frankly if a site strangles people with ridiculous rules and punishments too much, they're gonna lose their user base. I've seen it happen and watched a website go from bustling with activity, being so full of passionate and committed members--to getting shut down completely because they started to change things up, making it too strict, and thus becoming too difficult to socialize on without someone slapping you on the wrist constantly. 

In the end, you gotta realize that to some extent, the users on this site are still human.

The character limit is a decent idea.

I'd be willing to argue that status updates aren't the bread and butter of RPNation, though, which would make that point about sites dying like that not seem so bad. RPNation, like the title suggests, is primarily about roleplaying and not your average social media posting. That's why things like Twitter exist. 

While everyone here is human, I still think that we need to discourage all Rule #7 violations so as to keep a positive environment and not have so many dramatic, personal updates scare away new users. There's a difference between being overly strict and just becoming a doormat, and I believe the site now needs to find a fine balance that also agrees with Rule #7.

@Hallowseo

The character limit is a decent idea.

I'd be willing to argue that status updates aren't the bread and butter of RPNation, though, which would make that point about sites dying like that not seem so bad. RPNation, like the title suggests, is primarily about roleplaying and not your average social media posting. That's why things like Twitter exist. 

While everyone here is human, I still think that we need to discourage all Rule #7 violations so as to keep a positive environment and not have so many dramatic, personal updates scare away new users. There's a difference between overly strict and just becoming a doormat, and I believe the site now needs to find a fine balance that also agrees with Rule #7.

@Hallowseo

No, the status updates are not the bread and butter for the site. But my point was more that if people feel they are being punished for something so petty, if the rules weigh more heavily than they should (especially if they expect everyone to act like perfect angels), the users will lose their interest.

Yes, RPN is meant for roleplaying, but without the social aspects to the site, it will become bland and people will lose interest.

We like to socialize with our RP partners and with those who have the common interest of RPing. Not that I'm implying that status updates are the only way to socialize, but to some users, that feature may be the more entertaining and comfortable way (have you seen the forums? They can be quite boring).

Personally, I enjoy the status updates because it brings more LIFE to the site. Even if sometimes someone might be having a bad day on there, they are probably posting a status about it because they're seeking the comfort of their friends or even a kind stranger.

Like I said, as long as they aren't being vulgar or disrespectful, why should there be any rule against them? 

If you punish people and take their toys away as if they are nothing but naughty children for being totally normal people--how do you expect them to react?

Hey all.

Please allow me to start by saying that we value all suggestions and we seriously do consider things like this but we will not remove a feature of the site simply based on emotions or someone being offended. RpNation.com is not a democracy.

We understand that the Status Update Bar has been out of control these past couple of weeks, but let me remind you that apart from dealing with reports(which is what users should be doing), we've been pooling all staff resources and efforts into the hundreds of man hours that its taken to prepare for the migration on Sunday. Also IPS does not have a decent ignore feature like xF did. Once we return, we expect staff to be able to completely focus on making sure all of our positive rules are enforced(which they are! but if you don't report, we don't currently have the time to keep an eye on it 24/7). 

At this point in time we have no intentions of removing the social bar but it is something we will always consider.

@Captain Gensokyo, you are so hell bent on Rule #7 that you forget Rule #1

1. Respect - Users are expected to respect all other users. Users may not attack, demean, or insult other users of RpNation. This includes staff members.

Harassment - Users are not allowed to harass other members on RpNation. Harassment is defined as the action of targeting another individual repeatedly with messages or actions that intend to annoy, upset, disturb, or insult. Users can be reported for harassment if they continue communicating to an individual who has requested a termination of behaviors by the harassed user or by any others. Any user may report suspected harassment; it does not need to be the person being harassed. The Staff encourages users to report harassment, even if it is not against them personally. Reports of user harassment are taken seriously by RpNation Staff and strict punishment may be dealt to accounts engaging in harassment.

Discrimination - RpNation takes complaints of discrimination seriously. However, because of the complicated nature associated with discrimination, the Staff handles matters of discrimination on a case by case basis. If you feel you have been discriminated against, please report the incident to the RpNation Staff and an Administrator will investigate the matter.

Let the Staff do their Job - It is acceptable for users to calmly and respectfully explain site rules and regulations to other users, but users are not staff of the site. Users are not allowed to belittle or demean another user for their actions. Staff members are here to deal with that. If a user is breaking a rule it should be reported. Users are not to police RpNation and will be punished for vigilantism against other users.

You are rapidly leaving the territory of calmly and respectfully explaining the site rules to users. You will be punished for your hyper vigilantism if you choose to continue. Your point has been registered, we've been talking about it as a staff since you first brought it up. Do not become that which you are trying to destroy. Don't add to the negative environment.

As always, if you find something that offends/bothers you, report, report, report!

No, the status updates are not the bread and butter for the site.

Agreed.

But my point was more that if people feel they are being punished for something so petty, if the rules weigh more heavily than they should (especially if they expect everyone to act like perfect angels), the users will lose their interest.

This is entirely speculative, especially since you're assuming that most users would lose interest if the feed was removed. I know plenty of people who wouldn't think the removal would be a huge loss and plenty of who would think that it's the end of the world for them (mostly the types of users who are breaking the rules I mentioned in the original post). Regardless of what action is taken on this issue, there are going to be unhappy people, and that's part of it. It's the same thing that's going with the update, but to a greater extent.

Yes, RPN is meant for roleplaying, but without the social aspects to the site, it will become bland and people will lose interest.

Once again, this is a speculative idea. It might be true for you and others you know, but it won't encompass everyone. 

We like to socialize with our RP partners and with those who have the common interest of RPing. Not that I'm implying that status updates are the only way to socialize, but to some users, that feature may be the more entertaining and comfortable way

Agreed.

(have you seen the forums? They can be quite boring).

This is more opinion-based and assuming that things will be exponentially more boring without the status feed.

Personally, I enjoy the status updates because it brings more LIFE to the site. Even if sometimes someone might be having a bad day on there, they are probably posting a status about it because they're seeking the comfort of their friends or even a kind stranger.

I've seen plenty of these "venting" or "ranting" type posts, and although some might not like what I'm going to say, I've grown more and more callous to these types of posts on forum-based sites. They never seem to cease.

Like I said, as long as they aren't being vulgar or disrespectful, why should there be any rule against them? 

I agree that people should be commonly respected on updates. However, when strong opinions on controversial (or "uncomfortable," as Rule #7 puts it) are prevalent in these posts, or if the post is unpleasant to read or stumble upon on the main page for the average user, it's my view that these updates should be considered violations of Rule #7. I want what's best for the site right now, and I think removing this atmosphere of unnecessary drama that's easily viewable on the front page is the best way of going about it.

I'll think I'll give my own opinion on the matter as I've actually had someone post on my wall with something rather negative, have posted something negative, and for the most part... keep it creative and positive. For me the sidebar isn't completely necessary but it's nice to have a peek into other users lives, opinions, art, etc. It gives everyone the opportunity to connect in yet another way... if I remember correctly there is a place on this forum specifically for rants or discussions. I feel like you (Captain Gensokyo) going around telling people what they can/can't post is a bit of vigilantism. With (and considering) the human element there will always be those that don't conform and if it is infact 40-50% of individuals posting like that on their statuses then I would assume it's safe to say people just like having a space on this website where they can post whatever they like (within the rules). To me... Rule #7 covers the interactions between individuals rather that be on status updates, in roleplays, on forums.... whatever it may be... basically "be nice to others". Publicly announcing your distaste for something (unless directed at someone)... to me... again, is not going to hurt or harm anyone. Infact it might lead to a fruitful or inspiring discussion.

Getting rid of the sidebar, I feel, would alienate a lot of RpN's users. I feel that if the post is really bad enough that you feel the need to bring in a staff member you could just as easily report the post, message the admins, or use the support function without moderating their status by posting "rule #7" on their wall. This will not only help you achieve your goal but also keep the situation from an already upset user, from escalating to a more severe situation where multiple people's feelings are hurt and causing an even more unstable/negative environment. (Edit note, was typing this up before Dark Wizard replied)

No, the status updates are not the bread and butter for the site. But my point was more that if people feel they are being punished for something so petty, if the rules weigh more heavily than they should (especially if they expect everyone to act like perfect angels), the users will lose their interest.

Opinion. That aside, isn't the fact that people are more focused on using this as a social outlet instead of a roleplaying site kind of an issue?

Again, opinion. I'd actually say it'd be better off because it'd put the focus back on writing and creating those roleplays. I mean, let's be honest; how much of the status updates are actually for socializing? Because a large chunk of it is just spamming dead memes and angst.

We like to socialize with our RP partners and with those who have the common interest of RPing. Not that I'm implying that status updates are the only way to socialize, but to some users, that feature may be the more entertaining and comfortable way (have you seen the forums? They can be quite boring).

So we shouldn't use the forums because they're boring? This is a website for forum-based roleplay. I'd argue that if this is an issue then this isn't the right website for them. Just because one likes it doesn't mean it's okay when it outwardly breaks one of RPN's rules.

If you enjoy it that's fair. As I've said before I'm not exactly a shining beacon of positivity all the time myself. Wanting to comfort individuals in these status updates is folly in my humble opinion, though. You know why?

People don't understand restraint.

I unfollowed someone not too long ago because they were constantly fishing for pity. I'm not without empathy, but if they really feel so terrible that they need to vent at such a ridiculously frequent rate then they don't need to speak with strangers on the internet. They probably need a therapist. We're not professionals, and allowing that to continue is not only harmful to the website's atmosphere but also to those individuals.

I can't speak for everyone but I'm not exactly suggesting that the ban hammer is slammed down every time someone says anything even remotely negative. That's just ridiculous. When you have someone who updates dozens of times a day with nothing but angst, whining, and pity fishing though it doesn't exactly create a good atmosphere for everyone else though. More so since we can't block them. Again, we're not anyone's personal therapists. Those of us that actually are in that field of employment likely wouldn't want to take on personal projects like that during their off time either. They'd just want to relax.

If you punish people and take their toys away as if they are nothing but naughty children for being totally normal people--how do you expect them to react?

The issue is that the people bringing this to the forefront aren't being totally normal people. Normal people don't cry aloud for hours and hours about how terrible their lives apparently are in public. Those that try it are either ignored until they stop, or are called out on that bizarre behavior. If they really need comfort that badly then they need to go find professional support and properly sort their own demons out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back