• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Regency ball...?

The Roleplay
Characters and OOc

Alrighty!

I pitched this idea a while ago, in perhaps too ambitious a form. So here is something a little more casual...

I would like to throw an Austen-style regency ball.

The Setting

Rumsforde House, the stately home of Lady Marjorie

stately-bodrhyddan.jpg

Sick Hedges

Lady Marjorie

She is not Judy Dench, but you might want to imagine that she is Judy Dench.

Lady_C.sized.jpg

Is that hair strictly regency? Nevermind.

THE GUESTS

these losers:
1819_society_ball.JPG

Lady Marjorie has two exquisite nieces who live with her and who (being of dancing age) need to have the young people of the neighbourhood over for a ball at least twice a month. Lady Marjorie likes to feel her own consequence, so of course she obliges. She is even- out of sympathy for her nieces' need for company, and sadly constrained by certain facts of geography- not so very particular about the rank, fortune and fashion of the guests as you would assume from one in her position.

Who knows, perhaps tonight the rumours that Lady Marjorie has other, male, handsome, rich young relatives may prove to be true. Everybody says the nieces have a cousin who they are simply dying to have visit, but who must stay away to tend his sick mother... Or is he tied up with business in town... ? Or has Lady Marjorie intentionally kept him away, from fear that he will make an undesirable alliance with some local girl...? Or was that the other cousin, the one who everyone says is such a rake...

YOUR MISSION

SNAG. YOU. A. MAN.

John-Pettie_Two-Strings-To-Her-Bow_1882.jpg

SNAG TWO!

Assuming you are a marriageable young lady that is. If you are a young man, an old matron or a portly esquire you might have different ideas. Then again, you might not.

If your character- whoever they might be- would like to attend this ball, leave an expression of interest here, with perhaps a word or two about what sort of character you might like to play. I have compiled a handy list of types, if you would like some ideas about what sort of character to play (for reference only, you don't need to pick one of these characters, and if you decide to be, say, a rake, you can keep it secret):

The Ingenue: young, pretty, moral perhaps a little naive

The wit: male or female, an unconventional person who is keenly aware of everyone's flaws and foibles

The Very Sensible young lady: she might not be dazzling, but she's prudent and wise

The hopeless romantic: Male or female, this person is full of poetry and fiery principles

The Very Respectable gentleman: Look at him, he's irreproachable

The idler: This idle young man seems reluctant to make himself useful, but will his pleasures remain harmless, or will the devil find work for idle hands?

The cruel patriarch/matriarch: Obsessed with wealth and rank, controlling of everyone's behaviour

The mad mama: Is a bit ridiculous and just wants to get everyone married

The "harmless" rake: A merry young gentleman who loves to flirt, and may be careless of other people's feelings

The sinister cad: A scheming young gentleman out to seduce, either for money or just to break hearts

The "harmless" flirt:
a flighty young woman who loves to flirt, but may get herself or others in trouble

The mercenary flirt:
A scheming young woman out to flirt, either for money or just to break hearts

The gentleman who is not so unpleasant as he seems:
this person has unappealing manners- he might be grave, reserved, proud, awkward, shy or stupid seeming, but underneath has an excellent character

The gentleman who is exactly as unpleasant as he seems:
omg, get this guy away from me

The pleasant young man with controlling relatives:
This guy is lovely, but he'd better do what his terrible relatives say if he wants to get his fortune...

The absurdity:
These people, male or female, have some utterly ridiculous character-traits and are basically a joke (you get lots of creative license here)

The SECRETLY ENGAGED:
Two people might choose to be SECRETLY ENGAGED!

The wealthy heir/heiress
: Might overlap with some of the other character types

I want to keep this an easy romp. I will likely be in bed in a few hours, and then will kick this off tomorrow morning once everything's sorted. :)

Last edited:
So assuming that there is no magic in this setting and only humans as race i can provide one of the following two character models.

A warrior princess from a kingdom a bit further from where lady marjorie lives. Traveled to understand the world and got invited due to her exotic nature.

Or

A noble, a knight, high in rank and just all in all a good catch when talking about status. However, this man is a bit infamous. He is "no good company" due to the fact that he is always blunt about everything. He says what he thinks and there are no polite treats to him. You won't see him bow to any body. He seems pretty harsh and cold. A soldier to the bone. Maybe there is more to him?

I prefer the first, would however play the second if the first is unacceptable.

Oh heck, that's a nice crop of party guests there.

Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf I hope you are interested!

jbreezy jbreezy it wouldn't be a ball without a few rakes, harmless or otherwise...

The Fluffiest Floof The Fluffiest Floof the second character fits this setting best, because it just so happens there were a few war type things around this period, so there are plenty of surly soldier/navy types around

4a818df778e17b82ee2944465b9f9f73--field-marshal-british-soldier.jpg

Regiments of soldiers were often stationed around the countryside before heading over to France (or for training, or recuperation) and obviously the officers and the soldiers needed to be entertained.

Generic Brooding Antihero Generic Brooding Antihero what about both? I think doubling is good fun, and Mad Mama can be a bit more or a minor character...

Prince of Corruption Prince of Corruption the respectable gentleman is here! welcome respectable gentleman!

Maxilgal Maxilgal either would be fantastic! (or again, perhaps both)?

Well, we have a good number of guests BUT, we have the very opposite problem you expect at a ball, too many men and not enough ladies!

Or, re-counting, we're about even if you include my two rich nieces. I might hold tight for just a couple more ladies before we begin, but start setting up the threads for the roleplay.

Lol I am interested. Is there a particular year? I was thinking my character would be a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars and the 42nd Highlanders (Black Watch) but it partly depends on the year since IIRC part of this era was before Napoleon.

Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf no specific year, I think we'll follow Austen herself and be very vague about the year and the details of what's happening in the war (1794- 1817 is the period Austen's books were released in). If you'd like to base your character's experiences of a specific war/battle though then go ahead!

Oh heck, that's a nice crop of party guests there.

Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf I hope you are interested!

jbreezy jbreezy it wouldn't be a ball without a few rakes, harmless or otherwise...

The Fluffiest Floof The Fluffiest Floof the second character fits this setting best, because it just so happens there were a few war type things around this period, so there are plenty of surly soldier/navy types around

4a818df778e17b82ee2944465b9f9f73--field-marshal-british-soldier.jpg

Regiments of soldiers were often stationed around the countryside before heading over to France (or for training, or recuperation) and obviously the officers and the soldiers needed to be entertained.
Then i will go for the second. He'll be a war hero without social skills.

The ball is still open! We're accepting ladies and gentlemen of all stripes, and seem to have a slight shortage of blondes, worldly/calculating women and "villains" in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back