• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Rebirth: Dragons of Taran IC

Blitzer

Elder Member
Evening has just fallen on the capital, yet is is still bright as day. Why? Tomorrow, the armies of the world move out, the hundred years of peace ends at twelve the next day. Hence, the whole army is quartered within the capital. Currently, a party for all recognized nobles and commissioned officers is taking place at General Sorgan Targan's house to celebrate the beginning of the war. All Black Dragoneers were ordered to be high alert and prepared to take off at midnight. The army itself was ordered to make sure their dragons were well kept and fed with meat tonight rather than their usual military fair. Seven pm is the time.

General Sorgan Targan

Sorgan carefully buttoned his shirt before checking the time. He was late for the party. It was already seven. However, now was his time. He had never been allowed to host a party since he was a general. Peacetime was occupied by the Argan branch of the family. However with war, he finally could host a party and the Argan's were always late. The guest would wait. It was his moment now! His coat bore the black lightning emblem that marked his family side. He was ready. Time to go entertain his guests.

Connor politely sat at one of the tables that were set off to one side and picked over the large amount of food he had picked up from the buffet. A majority of this was nothing new, he was a noble after all, even if he didn't act like it. However, there were a few oddities that he wasn't completely sure he wanted to eat.

'Don't think about it. Just stick it in your gob. That's what you do most of the time.' Buras rumbled from his stable, their psychic link still holding strong at this distance. 'Someone might even be impressed and asked how you unhinge your jaw.'

"Over grown lizard." Connor growled softly as he felt waves of laughter coming from the draconic part of his mind, the part linked with Buras. If someone went to him in the stable, they'd probably wonder if Buras was choking on his food or not as he wetly gargled.

That being said, he manned up and put what looked like a slug in his mouth, quickly chewed, and swallowed. After a brief and slightly bewildered pause, he shrugged his shoulders with an expression of 'not bad' on his face, and picked up another one.

As he ate, he couldn't help but wonder where their host was, it was his party after all. But he didn't exactly have a right to wonder or expect an answer. Targan was not only a member of one of the three ruling families, he was also his general. So frankly, he wasn't paid enough to care about something like this.

Second Lieutenant Neale Geroldus | Ground Army
Neale's fingers were twitching in irritation. He had been coerced into going to this party by his direct superior, and if that man wasn't one that Neale had respected there was no way in hell Neale would here. This event had required him to dress up, for one, and as a second he would be expected to actually behave himself which was a tall order - especially with all the liquor that would be provided. Pulling at the collar of his dress clothes with disdain, the man gave a heavy sigh as he walked into General Targan's house. He was a few minutes late, but his arrival at all was a miracle within itself. His hair, for once, was clean and tied back and his clothes were upgraded from his regular homeless-man look to a respectable young nobleman. For that was what he was, though it was a little known and highly disputed fact.

Managing to locate one of his good friends, one of the few who would be showing up tonight, Neale walked up to the man and tapped him on the back. "Long time no see, Matthew," he greeted friendly, though when the man turned around he had a hostile look on his face.

"Who're you?" The man asked, apparently irritated at being addressed so casually, and not recognizing Neale at all. Neale raised an eyebrow.

"Neale Geroldus." He stated with a heavy sigh, watching with annoyance as realization dawned over Matthew's face.

"Neale? Homelessman Neale?" The other man asked in astonishment, causing Neale to roll his eyes. Eventually Matthew apologized for not recognizing his comrade in his nice clothes, telling him he should dress nice more often, and then they both moved on. Not seeing anybody else that he knew, Neale shrugged and located one of the tables at the side after picking up some food at the buffet. There was only one other man there, who seemed to be digging into some slugs, and so Neale moved to sit down.

"Mind if I join you?" He inquired, though he had already taken a seat at that point. Beginning to sort through his food, the man smirked a little bit. "How do those slugs taste?" He asked; half sarcastically, half in genuine curiosity as he held up a skewered slime on his own fork.

Lieutenant Captain Aladera Elemari | Gold Dragoneers
Aladera had arrived exactly on time, having taken care of Schnee promptly upon arriving in the area. Currently, the small gray dragon was taking a nap in the stable, and so Aladera had her mind to herself for a little while. She had dressed in the Elemari family's unofficial colors for this banquet on request from her father: after all, he was aiming to be promoted to nobility. If that were to happen, it would be important for Aladera to make the right impressions and connections while serving her time in the military for there were many high ranking people around. Especially at banquets such as these she would be able to make her presence known if she played her cards right.

Already, the woman had made her rounds and greeted those who she had needed to greet. She had just broken away from a rather animated conversation with one of her superiors about the war to come, and she thought that she had made a pretty good impression. Both her superior and his accompanying high-ranking officers had looked upon her impressed, and she figured that was her job done. For now, however, she was pretty desperately in need of some rest from formal interaction. Unfortunately she knew very few people that were present, and those she did know she had already spoken to. Wishing that her dragon was awake for once to provide some conversation, Aladera looked around the room.

Eventually giving up and simply going to help herself to some food, she took her time at the buffet line to assess the different meal options. Figuring that this may be one of the last times she would be able to feast before the war began, she loaded her plate with as many different things she could think of. It was far from lady-like, but it would have to do. Once she was finished obtaining her food, she once again had to search around for a place to sit.

"Go ahead." Connor replied anyways as the man sat down. When the question of the taste of the slugs came up, he stabbed one onto his fork and held it up as if to inspect it. "You know," he began before popping it into his mouth, "chewy, kinda bitter, but otherwise pretty darn good. It's kinda like...." He finished eating the slug as he thought about what to compare it two, waving his fork around as if he was going to stab the word once he found it. "Kinda like jerky. Yeah, it's kinda like jerky. Kinda bitter jerky."

"Oh, excuse me. Names Connor McKinley. Captain in the Green Dragoneers." He held out a hand expectantly, no doubt thinking the gesture would be returned and they'd have a hand shake.
Berries Berries

Lt Hamilton Ardent, Black Dragoneers
"...... Why did I accept that invite...?" Hamilton groaned to himself as he took a sip of his drink. He was surrounded by a small crowd of young women who were both admiring his armour and attempting to flirt with him while he would rather be talking to literally anyone else. His brother once told him that women are attracted to a man with confidence... In this case, his nervousness is like a turn on to this small group of young ladies.

"Hah! You foolish boy, you! I thought you bragged to me about how you would secure a mate by the time the sun sets!" Nero mentally taunted him. Hamilton was busy laughing off a small joke one of the ladies told but his mind was racing.

"Oh hush you crimson fool! I clearly have more than one potential mates now, no? I'm clearly winning.... But why does it feel like a defeat...? Curse my meekness around women!" Hamilton shot back as his dragon chuckled. After hearing that rant, Nero had effectively went back to his nap, leaving Hamilton all alone to suffer the stuffiness of Nobility. Already he's missing the simpler parties and festivals back home where people are much more sincere and the food is made with love. Then again, the alcohol here is slightly better. Slightly.

Nodding in appreciation as he was granted permission to sit - albeit after he had already sat - Neale chuckled in approval at the other man's commentary of the slugs. After hearing his words, Neale shoved a slug of his own into his mouth and began to chew contemplatively. Oddly, this was far from the weirdest thing he had eaten. Taking awhile to muse at the taste of the insect and make sure it was sufficiently chewed as so it didn't stick to his throat, Neale nodded a few more times. "Chewy, kinda bitter, but pretty darn good," he repeated the man's words from earlier, "I agree entirely."

Blinking as he realized, too, had forgotten to introduce himself, Neale took the extended hand and gave Connor a hearty handshake. "Proud to meet ya." He responded with his deep voice. His speech was quite informal as he had gotten the vibe he wouldn't need it with this man. Of course if required Neale could put on a bit better presentation but he avoided that if at all possible. "Neale Geroldus is my name, second lieutenant of the ground army." He added his own name and title. Pushing some more food down his throat the instant he had finished speaking, Neale ate for a few more minutes. "I don't appreciate the atmosphere at parties like these, though I do appreciate the food." He reflected aloud before grinning and tapping the mug of beer he had at his side. "And, of course, the booze."

On a quest to find somewhere to sit, Aladera was exasperated at the fact that there were no good tables left. At this point it seemed most had already settled into their groups and had sit down to eat. The least occupied table seemed to be in a corner with two massive burly men sitting and skewering slugs, which she had no intention of venturing near. Scowling a little bit to herself, the woman forced herself to take a calming breath. It wouldn't do to be losing her composure so early into the evening.

Resolved to find a place to sit, Aladera's eyes briefly lighted upon what seemed to be a convention of fangirls fluttering around some nobleman. The table was right next to where she was standing, so she contemplated it for a moment, but ended up scowling further at the behavior of the women. She absolutely loathed people who conducted themselves as such. Aladera was on the verge of passing unflattering judgement upon the nobleman as well when she realized that he didn't seem to be particularly enjoying himself either. Snorting a little bit under her breath, the woman was about to move on when she realized that one of her prize pieces of meat was slipping off of her plate.

Desperate times called for desperate measures. Slamming her plate down on the table next to the nobleman to prevent spillage, Aladera set her unladylike beer mug down a bit more gently. The women at the table seemed surprised at the unknown face, but before any of them could react Aladera had pulled herself out a chair and sat down without invitation. Taking a long, resentful swig of beer before saying anything, she turned to look at the nobleman with raised eyebrows. "You enjoying yourself?" She asked with a hint of sarcasm before extending a hand. "Aladera Elemari, Gold Dragoneers." She introduced herself, shooting dangerous eyes at the women flocking around. She had sat down to eat and did not wish to be interrupted.

General Sorgan finally stepped out onto the podium of the great hall. It was 7:30. He hadn't planned on being so late but who cared. He was master here. He nodded cooly the king, his cousin-in-law as far as recent marriages and alliances. It was time to bring about change, however even he didn't consider challenging the king. Blood magic was too potent. Even a legendary mage like himself would struggle to keep those out of his blood.
"Attention all. Excuse me for being late. I'm sure my son has seen to your comfort though. I won't bore you all with a long speech, but I must send us off to war. This message is being broadcasted to the whole nation, so listen carefully. This is a momentous moment for our country. Our heritage, our lands, our country has been taken from us and we were unable to do anything. Now is our moment, no one will stand in our path strong enough to crush our invicible armadas and powerful bloodlines. We set out to conquer the world once more the blood of Rgan that flows through us! Lift your voices for the time has come!"

He smiled internally. Young bloods would be screaming for blood about now. At least the stupid ones.

Colonel Akemi yawned internally at his dad and neglected to cheer as he leaned against a pillar. It was late, and He had a long night ahead of him. A long night and morning to think about it. He sighed deeply and someone he didn't see deftly avoided him. Most people avoided him. Who liked the person who knew as many secrets at the Bloodmages did? And the military hated him because he'd gone to his rank to quickly. HIs father's fault it was. Field Colonel at 20. He was skilled but still. Colonel Akemi scanned the tables slightly enhancing his eyes. He immediately found his younger brother surrounded by nobles. Akemi snorted slightly and looked around more. Ah there near him, one of his lieutenants. Again surrounded by woman. Lucky dudes. He chuckled to himself.

"Of the ground army you say. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of each other then." Connor said. And before he could say anything further, the General finally showed up and began to give his speech. He wasn't excited for the war, he saw it as an inevitability. Just like how they would inevitably win. Blame it on how he was raised and the culture, but he wasn't screaming and cheering like some of the others. He was one of the few that politely applauded, though that was by no means quite.

When the speech came to it's close, Connor took a sip from his glass of wine, though some would expect beer. "You know they have more than just that dish water you have in front of you to drink," he said good naturedly. "It can be made with the best the kingdom has to offer using only the finest techniques, but it will still taste like piss. Now wine, on the other hand, doesn't taste like piss, or look like it."

"Woah! Pardon me, Miss. I'm sorry for having taken up so much space with my.... companions." Hamilton meekly apologized to the rather impatient lady, ignoring the mild squeal from one of his admirers for being referred to as a companion. He made a mental note to ask his officer about Noblewomen and how to make them leave him alone. That aside, he was rather enamored by the lady who walked over. That brashness, her choice of drink, the way she talked. While it was clear that she was a Noble, her mannerism made Hamilton feel like he was back home. "Okay... This Lady is alright in my book."

"As for your question Milady, I think I am. Or so I think, surrounded by so many graceful ladies. Hamilton Ardent, Black Dragoneers at your service. Such an honor that I get to meet with one of the prestigious Gold Dragoneers. I heard plenty about them and is this seat taken?" Hamilton playfully introduced himself as he gestured to the empty seat next to Aladera while unknowingly making her the target of his small group of admirers. Thankfully, the guest of honor decided to start his speech then. Hamilton placed his glass down and dutifully listened to the speech before politely clapping once its over. It was a good speech and it seemed to fire up the new bloods but it made him feel.... Sad. Conquer? He joined the army to protect the people, not to go oppress outsiders.

Neale began to nod amiably at Connor when the general finally took the stage to give his speech. Watching with one eye as he continued to eat, Neale gave a hearty 'rahh' at the end but didn't seem to pay it that much mind. Lifting his mug to drink again, he raised his eyebrows skeptically as Connor gave critique on his choice of alcoholic beverage. Placing the mug back down again, Neale pulled at his short beard contemplatively.

"Calling it dishwater is an insult to beer lovers everywhere, me being one." Neale proclaimed after a few seconds, but didn't seem all that insulted. "Wine reminds me too much of my childhood." He said in lament, patting the top of his mug good naturedly. "This stuff, on the other hand, warms the soul. I'd much rather take a hearty drink over a good-tasting one." He concluded his analysis on the topic of wine versus beer. Spotting some fellow lurking around a pillar and generally being avoided (Akemi), Neale raised his mug in the man's direction.

"Come, friend, feast with us." He invited with his loud, deep voice.

Staring coolly at the woman who squealed, raising her eyebrows a little in disdain as the nobleman referred to his following as "graceful", Aladera was not daunted by the fact that she was now being viewed as the enemy of this flock of women. "It was your table, I see no reason to claim domain over any of it." She managed to respond to Hamilton as he inquired after the seat next to her, gesturing for him to take it. Just as she finished speaking the general began his speech. Aladera hadn't been entirely impressed by the fact that he had been late, then had asked to be excused for it, she eyed the man skeptically. She viewed his apology as a weakness, and of course the inability to arrive on time did not bode well for the future.

Nonetheless clapping at the end of the speech and returning her attention to Hamilton, she took up his line of conversation about the gold dragoneers. "Honestly, the prestige of the gold dragoneers is greatly exaggerated. Those who I have met from my unit leave much to be desired, especially from an officer's standpoint." She reflected mildly, realizing she had not yet stated her title. Little matter, such things held little importance at the dinner table.

Akemi ghosted out of the shadows of the pillars, somewhat impressed the man had noticed him. Hmm from his database of names this was Neale and Connor. Both of them respectively officers in the ground forces. Eh might as well hang with people not steeped in the politics of the Dragons. Akemi stood at the side of the table leaning on it. "Well friend is stretching it. You may adress me as Colonel Akemi. Can't have people getting too friendly with a commanding officer."

Akemi allowed himself a small smile and noted the wine. "You might want to lay off it if you don't want your superior officers, like me, laying into you when you have a pounding headache in battle tomorrow."

Soviet Panda Soviet Panda Berries Berries

"Is that so, Milday? I am but a mere Black Dragoneer so I have little knowledge of the Gold Dragoneers." Hamilton politely replied, trying to raise Aladera's spirits. Smirking, he reached for his glass and took one last sip. Judging by the General's speech, it was almost time to head off. So he had to stop on the alcohol despite its quality and how well it suited him. Still, he did miss the strong, homemade stuff he could get from the peasants at home. Gods know how much he drank in the little festivals back home. But still, Aladera's little comment did pique his interest. Was the Gold Dragoneers the noble heroes as the people known them or was it an over-glorified club for Nobles to feel important. Well, more important then they are.

"Say, if you don't mind me asking. Could you tell me more about the Gold Dragoneers? I'd like to know more from a member than from gossips and news." Hamilton asked before taking a sip of his last drink for the night. Got to keep his head clear for the mission later after all.

"You must have had a strange childhood if wine reminds you of it." Connor said in response, not adding to much to the rest of the conversation. But then Akemi was invited into their little group. And he said something about getting a hangover from drinking alcohol. "I doubt that'll happen with one or two drinks. Especially when it's watered down. It'll take quite the thirst to get drunk this night."

Chuckling as Connor commented on his childhood, Neale nodded. "The typical noble background, full of good wine and good pleasant company. I branched from it all for a reason." He said, rather vaguely, before their new guest sat down. Neale's eyebrows raised slightly at the man's rather uptight words but passed them off lightheartedly. "Very well, colonel." He said complacently. He wasn't about to ruin this night with unnecessary conflict. However, at the comment about alcohol, Neale belligerently raised his mug of beer to his mouth again and took a few gulps. "Nothing like the pounding of my head to get me in the mood to slaughter some folks." He said cheerily before his mood dampened a bit. "I would never intentionally go into battle hungover." He said seriously, indicating that he was, in fact, watching his alcohol.

Making good progress while eating her way through the massive plate of food that she had obtained, Aladera looked up as Hamilton spoke. His manners were a bit exaggerated, in her opinion. She hadn't taken the liberty of mentioning that she wasn't an official member of nobility yet and had been thus far rolling with his addressing her as 'Milady' but it was starting to get on her nerves a little bit. She was at loathe to accept any title which did not rightfully belong to her. "Please, dispense with the formalities. I have hardly been doing you the same respects, not to mention I am not yet a full-fledged member of nobility." Aladera pronounced with a tight smile. "My father is yet waiting to marry me off so we do become nobility." She added jokingly, though her words were not joking as they were the truth.

Contemplating the question as Hamilton asked after the gold dragoneers, Aladera shrugged a little bit. "Seeing that I am one of the few who are not from nobility in the squadron, I probably have some of the worst of it. I find that nobles tend to be snobby. It is quite unfortunate, but even the talented among them take the liberty of using the fact to further elevate their self-esteem." She commented easily, not wanting to signal out any names lest it come back to bite her later. "There are many accomplished warriors in the gold dragoneers, my issue is that there are few personable ones." She concluded.

Colonel sighed softly. "Sorry, I'm not good with people. Call it what you will, being homeschooled doesn't develop social manners."
Akemi focused on the time in his mind and sighed. "I haven't slept for over a day... I think. Black dragoneers do tend to get out of line much to quickly. Too much supervision required." Akemi caught a champagne deftly off of one of the serves trays and sipped slowly.

"Ah, a thousand pardons, Mi-, I mean, Aladera if I may be so bold as to be on first name basis with a Lady such as yourself. Truth be told, I'm rather glad that you aren't a Noble. Snobbish bunch as they usually are. Truth be told, I think the so-called manners they practice seem like lifeless acting.." Hamilton joked, flashing a brilliant smile. Deep down, he was glad that Aladera spoke her mind. But the fact that she mentioned that wasn't married confused him a little. Was it a hint? Is it just her stating the facts? Oh well, friendships that last a lifetime are worth more than a rushed, loveless marriage. So he simply kept silent and politely listened to her explain the Gold Dragoneers from her own perspective. His smile wavered slightly when Aladera mentioned that she might be the lowest of the low among them but that feeling was quickly replaced when she mentioned the overlarge egos some of the Gold Dragoneers had.

"Ahahahaha! Indeed, indeed! While I do look up to them, I just knew that there had to be something off. It is true that some Nobles have issues with their character and I'm no stranger to their... selfishness myself. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I wanted to join the Black Dragoneers. They accept anyone as long as you have the skill or, dare I say, guts to face overwhelming odds and danger." Hamilton paused to finish up his drink, happily nodding after finishing it and finding it a suitable last drink. "Not that I'm inflating my own ego of course. Its always the cocky ones that die first out there..."

Berries Berries

"Watch your alcohol, Colonel." Connor couldn't help but jest a little as Akemi grabbed a glass of champagne. "And from what I know, you Black Dragoneers don't rely to heavily on one another. That's just what I can figure out, I'm a Green not a Black. Anyways, your a sneaky lot, and it gets harder to sneak around as you get more than yourself in a group." This was all just his opinion. He was just a captain, after all. He had some responsibilities, but all and all he didn't know much.

Shrugging off the Colonel's apology, Neale leaned back in his chair. He had plowed through his food at a professional pace, and now contented himself with taking sips of his beer. Of course, the term "sip" was deceiving - they were more like gulps. Nonetheless, he seemed confident in his ability to remain sober. Seeing that he was a rather large fellow, it wasn't surprising that he appeared to be capable of holding his liquor. Raising his eyebrows as the man lamented about not having sleep, Neale chuckled. "Make sure you rest up tonight, tomorrow promises to be grand." He advised sagely before nodding to Connor. "I have little information on either of your squadrons at all. What a pity, it is, to be apart of the ground army." He mused, though he didn't sound like he pitied himself. Neale was in fact very proud of his dragon, even if it was wingless and rather a monstrosity.

Aladera had begun to raise her eyebrows as Hamilton's impulse seemed to be to address her as "mi'lady", though once he recovered and addressed her by name she nodded amiably. "Of course, Aladera is perfectly acceptable to me," she confirmed mildly, "I assume that I may address you, then, as Hamilton?" She queried out of a sense of politeness. His sense of manners was indeed greatly exaggerated, and usually the woman would have just gone ahead with addressing him however she wanted but now she felt bad for her crude behavior.

Nodding in agreement as Hamilton touched upon the idea of manners, Aladera had to suppress a small laugh. "I feel you may be being a bit hypocritical." She observed, seeing that only seconds ago he had been practicing manners that exceeded any level of civilized speech that she herself had ever spoken. "Though I fully agree; masking one's true intentions with meaningless words takes the humanity out of speech." Aladera responded, pausing to listen as he commented on her words about the Gold Dragoneers. It seemed like he understood her well, and they apparently shared a dislike for the stuffy behavior of nobles, and that was a fact that Aladera appreciated. Her apprehension about sitting at this table gone, her posture relaxed a little bit.

"The cocky ones are the ones that die first." She repeated his words thoughtfully, thinking of the few dragon hunting expeditions she had been on. That much was true, it seemed. Suddenly grinning, the woman shrugged. "If that is so, then the majority of the gold dragoneers will promptly be wiped out," she said in jest, finishing her drink but not moving to get more.

Akemi raised his eyebrow at the Black Dragoneer's lack of cooperative effort. He sighed, another misconception about them. "We may be a stealthy force, but as often as not we have to fight together... as we will be doing tomorrow. Well apart from some of us will."
Akemi set the down the champagne and sighed. "Tonight will be a long night and tomorrow a long day. Thank fully it won't be too rough a battle is not overall easy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back