• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Realms of Nymserine: Main Thread [[CLOSED]]

I looked away, trying to hide the still fresh wounds of the discovery that threatened to pour from my eyes. "Partly. Its hard for me to stay with a man who lied to me for so much of my life. I just... I need to find the truth, and Im not going to do it tied to the ship with false freedom." 

I thought back to all the times in my life I was happy, like when I could finally lift a real sword for the first time, or when I befriended a whale, or when I caused my first tidal wave. All those times now, which had been so fond, seemed tainted by the sudden exposure of the ignorance. 

"Im hoping that by traveling with you, I can learn more about myself. So what about you? What do you need to get off your chest?" 

I thought about what he said and felt that he was just as wounded as I was. We were both lost and trying to find our way... Tentatively, I placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile. "You will. You'll learn and grow... living in the world does that to you." I lowered my hand and hugged my arms around my knees, resting my chin on top and staring out at the shimmering sea. 

"I understand that trust is required for this partnership to work... and I'll tell you what is necessary," I inhaled a shaky breath, "But somethings are too hard to talk about." I said the last part quietly, images of distant memories still potent in my mind.

I felt somewhat angry that after sharing my darkest secret with Verity, she wasn't willing to impart hers with me, but I couldn't force her. Things were too new, too fragile. She would come around, hopefully, but for now I would get what I could. "Why didn't you tell me you were an elf?" I asked, trying to get some information out of my new partner.

I sighed and decided I might as well fess up. "There aren't many elves running around. Being so uncommon, they stand out. We're more noticeable outside of Elven cities like Shylanora. When you see one out in the real world it's easy to conclude that they are an outcast, exiled from their home or a fugitive who ran away..." I looked down and my voice deepened, "I am the latter."

I paused for a moment, planning out what I was going to say before I continued. "I am a traveler, an adventurer who does guild jobs and works around people who are mercenaries and bounty hunters. I have to hide my identity so that I stay under the radar and so people don't try to turn me in." I finally looked to Roland, searching his eyes for any sign of judgment or negative emotion. "Before you come with me you must understand and accept that I am a criminal among my people. I'm telling you this so that you can decide for yourself whether or not you can trust me, and whether or not you want to really want to join me. I will not force you, and if you try to turn me in, I promise it won't end well." I smiled, but my heart wasn't in it. I was being blunt and crude... but he had to know what he was getting into... one way or another.

I thought about her words, and about how they didn't pluck at my emotions quite as much as maybe she would have expected.

"I don't know that much about you, but I trust my gut, and you have a good heart." I turned away and smiled at the sea, hoping my sincerity would sink in.

"Besides, Im a pirate. Were not exactly known for our strict abidance of the law." I chuckled at the thought of me turning anyone in. 

"If thats all that I need to know about you to foster trust, then your secret is mine, and mine yours. Im still with you." I held out my hand in friendship, for a more personal moment, one that would bond us as partners.

I blinked at him and nodded, taking his hand and shaking it. "Then let us have good travels and may our journey take us far."

I stood up and brushed the sand from my legs. I stretched and a small yawn escaped my lips. It had been a long and interesting day, and now it was time to draw it to an end. "Well, we should probably get in some rest before we leave tomorrow. we have a long way ahead of us."

I watched her stand and nodded as she spoke. "I agree. Ill probably hit up the town for some late  night supply run, though. Were going to need several things on our journey." I thought about the coming times. away from what i knew, and what gave me comfort. We were most likely going to be traveling relatively light, so I began making a list in my mind of what I felt were the most important things. "Are you going to head back to your hotel? I mean you could sleep with me..." I realized what I said, and stammered, trying to cover my tracks, "I-i Mean, not w-with me, like in a hammock beside mine. Since were going to be sleeping with, i mean NEAR one another going forwards...?" I felt my face flush for what felt like the millionth time today. I had experience with charming women, but Verity always left me off balance.

I rose an eyebrow at him, but couldn't help the smile that spread across my face. "Well, I can't necessarily sleep underwater like you, Roland..." I laughed and turned towards the town. The street lamps were already lit and dusk had settled over the harbor. "Besides I'd probably be better off at the inn than on the ship for the night anyway." My smile softened and I turned back to Roland with a small sigh. "So I'll see you bright and early tomorrow. Don't stay up too late."

I nodded as I watched her walk away, until I couldn't see her anymore. She was right, I shouldn't stay up to late. I had a feeling she wasn't going to let me sleep in like I was accustomed to. Be that as it were, it wasn't late currently, and there were still some shops open. I turned to head to the markets and nearly tripped on a small bundle of something. "What the hell...?" I said, and bent over to pick it up, turning it over curiously in my hands. It was a long and thin package, wrapped in soft cloth, almost exactly like the blades strapped to my back were. 

This couldn't be what I think it is.... could it?

Tenderly I unwrapped the tarp and examined the contents of what I now realized was a gift. Inside was a bow, made of the same material as my swords. It was beautiful, smooth and covered in complicated runes. Within the bow string was a quiver and arrows, bristling with deadly points.

I turned them over, knowing that they came from her.

She has been watching me this whole time... she watched me then. She knows.\

She must have watched me grow up, or else how could she have know to send me this? 

When I was younger, Crooney had thrust a bow in my hands after I had threw a knife at him in anger over him not giving me desert, giving him a close shave. He had recognized my accuracy and wanted to test my skill with a more ranged set of weapons. The bow became an instrument in my paws, each shot landing dead on target. But after only a week, Greuwn put a stop to those lessons, instead placing a sword in my hands.

"Its not the pirate way" He said distastefully, and tossed my bow over the side. That was years ago. So much has changed since then. 

Somewhat curious, I took the bow and 1 arrow, strung it, and took aim at a old mast jutting up from the sea about 50 yards out. I held it for a moment, with my breath, letting my heart beat fall into rhythm with the beating of the ocean tides and the air flowing around me. The entire world exhaled, and I released the shot, letting it sail nimbly through the night air, and listened with a smirk to the heavy thud of the point piercing the old wood. 

I smiled and shouldered the quiver, thankful for the gift. I would have hoped for a letter, but perhaps the bow was just that. A way of saying she had been watching. I looked out over the sea, and offered an apprehensive thank you, not sure if she could hear me. Nothing changed. No giant woman rose from the surf, or talking whale came to say she had gotten the message. Nothing but the soft lapping of the waves that had been a part of my world for so long. I wasn't quite sure if I was relieved or disappointed, but I was certain that I still needed some provisions. I turned and continued heading for the market place before the last vendors could extinguish the flames.

I walked into town, once again wrapped up snugly inside my cloak. Instead of going to the inn, however, I made a sharp left turn that lead to the forest just outside of town. The moon shone brightly in the sky, illuminating the ground enough to see where I was going... even though I never had much trouble seeing in the dark anyway. I suppose that was a trait of my Elven heritage.

I trekked through the shrubbery and undergrowth until I found the clearing that we'd passed by earlier in the day. I noticed it on our way out of the woods when we were bringing the troll to the tower and took a mental note of it in my mind. 

It was the perfect training grounds. 

The trees circled the edge of the clearing like an arena, nothing in the middle but an old rotten stump accompanied by weeds. I drew my sword admiring how it glinted the moonlight. As if sensing my presence, it began to glow with the same wispy blue energy that made up my mana Focus. with my sword in my right hand and my Focus in my left I placed my feet apart and closed my eyes. I listened to the wind softly rustling the leaves on the trees and how it made whispers incomprehensible to my ears. I inhaled and took a step forward, then another, and then another. My feet glided in step to a silent dance of sword and magic. My energy spiraled lazily around me, but the faster I danced, the faster the mana around me swirled. 

The first time I'd ever learned that I could be a spellsword was when I was dancing in the library of the palace I grew up in. The library was located in a tower that had several stories. From the bottom floor, you could see all the way to the top and layers upon layers of oak bookshelves. On the very top floor was a balcony, and was the only floor in the tower that couldn't be seen from the bottom looking up. It much resembled an attic... but I'd always loved it up there. It was away from the world, yet overlooked all of it. I could go there when I wanted to be alone. So, i'd often train up there in secret, but one day I felt like dancing. There was a festival of some sort going on in the village and the soft and powerful music carried all the way up to the palace. I could hear it clearly, but it was gentle like ballroom music. So I stopped in the middle of my training and danced with my sword still in hand. I realized then that sword fighting was like a dance. Careful steps, agile and smooth movement. Dangerous elegance. 

Even to this day I though of that moment and would spin around, letting my sword guide me and shield me with my energy... I didn't always train this way, but I liked to every so often. It was calming. I felt balanced, like it was okay to be myself. It reminded me of who I was, where I came from and where I can go. 

I quickly walked from shop to shop, grabbing whatever I could find and slipping past the doors shutting with finality. As the darkness of the empty marketplace flooded in behind me, filling in as I walked away, looking over my new supplies. A mile or enchanted rope, preserved food supplies, four animal water skins, a large hunting knife, 2 empty books and writing utensils, and a shirt, white cotton, in case we ended up somewhere where the sun didn't bat down on the world deprived of clouds.

This should be more than enough to get us through.

I made my way back to the ship, a single lantern hanging from the mast. I hiked up the boards, trying not to wake anyone or alert the night watch. I crept onto the main deck, and sighed, not seeing anyone around. I took two steps towards the mast when the board beneath my foot creaked audibly, rolling over the bay.

"Evenin' Roland." I turned and found a smiling, very intoxicated Crooney. He lifted a mug in my direction and stood up from his concealed hiding spot against the barrels. "Have a good *HICC* time out there with that lass of yours?"

I grimaced, feeling the resentment in his voice. "Crooney.." I started, but he cut me off by throwing his cup at me, soaring over me as I ducked. "Don't start with me lad."

He stumbled, completely hammered. He got like this a lot, especially when he was angry.
He pointed at me and hiccuped. "Yo..you think that *HICC* we're just going to watch you traipse out of here with that *HICC* lass of yours?"

I glared at him. "Im leaving. I'm old enough to make my own decisions. You cant stop me."
He opened his mouth as if to say something, and paused, holding up his finger signaling me to wait. I looked around and saw several sailors make their way into the open, watching the commotion. Crooney leaned over and puked all over the deck, spilling the nights grub all over the deck. He stood up straight, and smiled, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. "No.."
He drew his blade and pointed it at me. "But 'at don't me I can't try."

"Crooney.. Don't."

Despite his drunken state, he bolted over the deck quicker than I had thought possible, slashing right where my head had been moments before. I tumbled back, sprawling to the deck, but collected myself quickly as he continued his advance to where I had fallen. I leapt back, springing to my feet, just in time to duck away from another swipe. Two more slashes pushed my back against the mast. He dove forward and I rolled to the side, his sword driving into the wood.

"ARE YOU CRAZY?" I sputtered, rising to my feet. Several of the sailors moved forward to try and calm him down, but he tore his sword from the pole and swung at them, threatening them to stay back. "If you can 'andle yourself, then prove it. You've always been SO cocky. So arrogant. I don't think you 'ave what it takes." I put up my hands in a peascful gesture, but he lunged forward abd slashed again, grazing the skin of my chest and slicing my clothes in a long slash over the torso. A think line of blood began to ooze from it. I recoiled, hand to my fresh wound, glaring at Crooney.

"Thats enough Crooney." I said in between shallow breaths.

"Then stop me." He said with his crooked smile as he stepped closer, flourishing his blade.

"Crooney.." I threatened.

"Come on, Son. Show me you really are the son o' the sea god."

"Not one step closer."

"Show me that POWER of yours, Roland."

"CROONEY"

"HAAAAAA" Crooney leapt forward once again, the tip of his blade speeding towards my chest.
I felt rage grow in my heart and I raised my hand, a torrent of water raising over the side and blasting crooney mid strike, sending him tumbling to the side. He washed up against the guard rail, completely drenched, sputtering and floundering. I stood over him, scowling. "Enough."

He began reaching for his sword, and I doused him again, hard. The stream of water striking with enough force to leave bruises.

He gasped for breath and sat there, trying to collect himself: He held himself from laying on the deck by wrapping his right arm around the rail. I heard another familiar voice from behind me.
"I think Mr.Crooney here learned his lesson, don't you?"

Last edited:
After my training session of doing a few more normal exercises, I went back to my Inn from the night before. I still had the same room booked, knowing i'd be in town for at least a few days. 

I unlocked the door to my room and walked in, relieved to find that Sylas wasn't lurking anywhere. As I walked across the room to the bed I stripped off my sword sheath, my boots, my travel bags and my cloak before diving onto the bedsheets. Almost as soon as my head hit the soft feather pillows, sleep enveloped me and my world went dark with dreams.

The air was thick and dark and my body was as heavy as lead. I laid on a large bed in a too familiar bedroom. It was my bedroom from the palace, but something was wrong about it. Everything felt wrong. A shadow shifted at the end of my bed and I felt my heart stutter in fear. My body couldn't move, it was heavy and frozen as I watched the figure walk around to the side of the bed and stare down at me with eyes that bore into my own. My mouth was open in a silent scream, but still I couldn't move or make a sound. He slowly pulled off the covers and pinned me to the bed. He was on top of me now and my heart was nearly beating out of my chest. He leaned forward and a small whimper managed to escape my lips. Then he whispered in my ear, "Run."

I jolted up in my bed, screaming and clawing at the air. I looked around and saw I was back at the Inn. I trembled in cold sweat for a moment as I caught my breath. Soft light had already begun to filter into the room. It was early in the morning and not that bright out yet, but I was wide awake. I got dressed and gathered my things, trying to distract myself by focusing on today's plans. 

I turned around and found a disapproving Greuwn staring at his first mate, more hammered than a hammer head shark. I felt my heart drop. Behind us, several sailors collected Crooney, who dripped over each plank as they dragged him. The sun was rising over the horizon now, and streaks of infant orange breached over the bay tides.

"Greuwn, I.."

But he cut me off with a wave. "You have a right to follow your own path. I will never fault you for fighting for your freedom."

I felt a smile sneak onto my face. Despite the lies, Greuwn was my father; not because of blood, but because he cared about me. My heart was still recovering from the emotions it had adopted the night before, but I could remember the bond we both shared. I sheathed both my blades and embraced him. He wrapped his long, hairy ape arms around my back and smiled as he returned the embrace. Things were going to be ok between us.

"Y'are a man now, and 'ave some life to plunder. Just promise me ya will be true to yerself, eh lad?" I felt his hands take the bow from off my back, and hold it up. I could never get anything past him. "It was a new gift from Thasia... I mean mom.. I guess. I don't know this entire thing still weirds me out."

Greuwn tossed the bow back into the ocean, and for some reason I didn't mind. It was an old part of myself, something I had left behind. Greuwn knew who I was better than Thasia.

"When you two are out there, rely on those blades. They were a real gift from Thasia, more so than that old elf's walking stick. You are the greatest swordsman I ever seen across the ocean. That and you got the will of a god to boot."

The idea that my power and home came from an immortal being made me uncomfortable, like I was only half myself, and the other half I had grown up knowing was now just being revealed to belong to someone else the entire time. I smiled anyways and nodded.

"Here" Greuwn brought another pirate forward, who had my bag in his hands with the supplies I had picked up earlier. There was also a bundle of throwing blades, some extra food, a telescope, island map and a small leather pouch. "I took the liberty of having a few more things added to yo'r gear. I hope you don't mind. The map is magic. Just touch the island you are on and it will show you the land. Also, about the pouch."

I stopped reaching for the leather and looked up at him. He had a serious look and a glint in his eyes. "Don't use them unless it's a reeeeal emergency, yeah? They're rather difficult to acquire. Thasia doesn't give her blessings so easily to the rest of us." He chuckled, and I thanked him again, sealing the bag and throwing it over my back.

We walked over to the starboard deck and stood and faced each other by the boardig plank, leaning against the weathered wood of the aged dock boards. The crew gathered around under the white sails beginning to billow under the first breeze of the morning. on the streets of the town, the people were only just starting to emerge onto the cobble streets; with brooms, sweeping the entrances to shops and the smell of freshly baked bread twirling itself into the salt air.

"I... I guess this is goodbye then."

"Buck up lad. This is a new chapter in your future. And thank god its you, because the rest of this damned crew can't even read." The men began to laugh fully, and broke into a morning sea song, throwing their arms around one another.

"I once met a girl, on the far island shore, and I knew she was more, than a small island whore, so I took her to bed, and come morning I said, I wont be coming round here no more! She smiled, and waved us away, and with each moon I remember the day, that I opened my purse, and laid mine a curse, of the whore on that far island bay."

While they sang, I turned and strolled down to the docks, and off into town to wake my newest friend.

Last edited:
With my cloak's hood drawn over my head and my sheath thrown over my shoulder, I walked out of the room and down the hall. Downstairs I turned in my key, the desk assistant grumbling to themselves as I paid for three nights of room and board. Outside the air was still cool, the breeze blowing off of the ocean into the small harbor village. My hair pooled out from underneath my cloak and drifted across my face in the wind. With a deep breath, I shook off the nightmare that haunted me and started towards the docks in hope of catching Roland before he left.

Along the streets, I walked quickly, my tanned leather boots almost lifting off the cobbled streets. I felt as if my soul had been disconnected from its anchor. I felt adrift, and for now I was still high on the adrenaline of it all. No time to focus on the waylessness. It took me no time to find Verity among the nonexistent morning crowds. "Good morning, Ms. Ma'am. Ready for adventures?" I smiled and gave a silly little bow in excitement.

I smiled warmly when I saw Roland practically bounding down the street towards me. "Aren't you in a chipper mood, Mr. Sir," I chuckled. "Ready as I ever am, I suppose."

I shifted the weight of the bag on my shoulder and looked around. "It's a long journey to the capital city of Nymserine, but we will have to stop a few times a long the way." I began to walk, looking back to make sure Roland was following.

"We are going to have to do guild jobs every once in a while for money and we will need to make stops for food and supplies. When we come across towns we can stay at the local inn, but otherwise we will have to camp out outside." I gave Roland a sidelong look, wondering silently if he would mind camping outside. I knew that travel wasn't new to him, and he was certainly sturdy enough to handle being on the road... but sailing was a bit different from walking for miles everyday.

"I don't mind camping, I spend most nights looking up at the stars anyways." Roland gazed at the silver haired woman before him and couldn't help but smile. Her face reminded him of the moon, his truest friend, and it shone just as lucidly. "As for guild jobs, I think you know I can handle myself. So I take it we aren't heading strait away to Aredale then?" Roland shoulder his bag, ready to get moving, but was a little curious about their route. It was an exciting process, starting a new chapter like this.

Last edited:
Verity smiled and nodded at Roland, turning to start walking along the cobblestone path leading out of the small harbor town. "Relatively strait... there is one city I would like to stop first, I think you'll like it. It's about a day's walk south from here. After that, we will cross the Niems river and head east to Aeredale."

Verity envisioned the route in her head as she spoke, thinking of the best roads to take to get to their first destination and then to Aeredale. Some highlands had bandits who claimed they were collecting tolls and wouldn't let you pass until you coughed up all the gold you had. Sometimes she would take those roads on purpose, just to kick their petty asses, but this time around she would play it safe.

The harbor town that walked through was small, and it didn't take long to reach the other side of it to the makeshift gate that marked the entrance. Verity stopped just before it and turned to Roland. "Last chance sailor. Are you ready to get your land legs? There's no turning back after this."

It was a quick tripe from the docks to the outward edges of the small port village. Verity asked him if he was sure. It had been something he had wondered about for a while. But it was clear to himself that this wasn't a rash decision, it was about finding himself. For a long time, his true identity had been hidden from himself, for good reasons, but still: It left Roland with so many questions and uncertainties, with no answers waiting below deck of the ship. No, he needed to take this journey as much as Verity needed Roland to come. Maybe it was destiny.

"I don't think I will ever have anything but sea legs, but I am ready. Did you know that sharks can't stop swimming? They have to stay in motion or else they sink. I need to keep moving forward or I will regret it forever. And I don't do well with regrets. Come on, there is adventure to be had." Roland smiled a broad smile and walked forward, turning around to smile some more, walking backwards... right over a root. Roland took a hard tumble and landed on his back with a solid WHUMP. For a moment he laid there, letting the ache die down.

"....Ouch..."

Verity watched him as he marched backwards, declaring his thirst for adventure... just as he fell over onto his backside. She doubled over in laughter before walking over to help him up, a large grin on her face. "You're right, you may always have sea legs after all. You may be able to manipulate water and take down trolls twice your size, but at the end of the day, you're still bested by a root."

She giggled, "Are you alright?"

"I am quite fine. No doubt that root got the worst of it." Roland stood with her aid, giving a tiny comical kick to the root. "Too bad there wasn't a contract on that root, or we could have tripped over some big money." He chuckled at his own jest, brushed himself off and extended his hand, signaling he was good to go.

Verity rolled her eyes and started off through the gate. This would be the start of their greatest adventure, she could feel the beginning of something larger than themselves as they continued on their path... maybe Verity would no longer have to wander aimlessly. Maybe she would find her true purpose, and somewhere to belong.

oO *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* Oo

For hours they walked towards their next destination, one of the three grand cities of Nymserine, build in honor of one of the Gods. She refused to tell Roland which one, wanting to leave it as a surprise. They were just outside the city now, you could almost see the glow of the lights shining in the darkness through the small clove of trees. They had set up camp, telling Roland it would be best to see it during the day when the city was awake and live with activity.

Verity had a tarp draped over a low-hanging branch that served as an impromptu tent. Below the tarp on the ground was a bedroll lined with soft wool, laid out next to her travel bag. Her sword rested in its sheath against the trunk of the tree. A small fire crackled in the center of their small camp. She sat next to it, warming herself as she looked out towards the city, thinking mostly of the journey ahead of them. It was dark outside and the stars shown brightly in the sky. The moon waned among them, rising slowly into the sky. Luckily, it looked to be a clear night. She was certain it wouldn't rain on them, and tomorrow would be a pretty day.

Verity looked down at her hands, holding a small half of a loaf of bread they had shared earlier. She tucked it away in her satchel and took a sip of from her waterskin. She looked across from her, where Roland sat, and held the waterskin out to him, offering him a drink.

Roland sat not too close to the fire, but enough to stay warm. The flickering light traipsed its glowing fingers over the trunk, and the tarp, and the sword and the girl. Roland took the water and took a long drink, letting the cool water pour down his throat. He quickly passed it back and looked over at the city The lights in the distant were close and many, like fireflies trapped in a swirling ballet. Something about the sound of waves and the tinge of sea salt wafting through the nights summer breeze brought back memories to Roland, but he couldn't place his thoughts.

"So, whats the plan for tomorrow?" Roland leaned back, laying out under the stars. He didn't mind laying on the ground and looking up at the sky, for in a way it reminded him of the ship. Many nights on deck watch he would lay on the mast and stair his thoughts away into the night's embrace. The wind was warm and the grass was soft, and he felt an unhindered airiness in his chest, like on the first hours of walking. He still hated the walk, and was quite winded by the end of it, but said nothing about it, still trying to remain as masculine as he could for the girl with silver hair. He turned his head to watch for her.

She took back the flask and put it away in her bag. After she spoke she shrugged wistfully. "I suppose we will look around and get a bite to eat. I also have an old friend that trades there, I thought I'd stop by to say hello on our way through."

Verity followed Roland's lead and laid back onto her bedroll, staring up at the night sky. Every time she camped out in the woods and laid on the ground under a blanket of starlight, she couldn't help but think that she'd come a long way from being an Elven Princess. Where her hands used to be soft an dainty, they were now calloused and worn. Where she used to wear dresses of the finest silk and gemstones, she now wore rough leather and cloth, hidden away underneath a cloak to mask her identity. It surprised her at times how much her life had changed, and in some ways, she missed the palace. But deep down she knew she craved a life of freedom and adventure, never having to adhere to rules and manors.

When she looked at Roland, she wondered if he felt the same. He too gazed up at the stars with a sort of wistfulness. He would surely miss the sea... but would he also flourish in this new path in life? Would he be surprised to see how far he'd come years later? She hoped so, which made her feel a little selfish. She was glad to have him along even when the prospect of traveling with company was strange. The only other person she had ever traveled with was Sylas, and even then he didn't stay around for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back