• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Realms of Nymserine: Main Thread [[CLOSED]]

Verity watched Azaria fumble and chuckled as Kaelie cut in for her. "Well good. I'm sure this will be a unique experience for all of us, then." With that, she put the rest of her focus into finishing her breakfast. She was definitely eating more than usual, hopefully the carbs would give her a little boost of energy for the trials... and she also hoped she'd burn them all off... this really was too much food. She dare note waste Kaeli's hard work, though, so she happily indulged and stuffed her face as well mannered as a lady could with messy pastries.

Mildy, she wondered where Roland, Pyrrhus and Kezine had run off to. If they wanted to get an early start, they'd best get their sleepy backsides moving.

Last edited:
Roland watched with fascination as Vie lunged into battle. She was somewhat sluggish and moved less naturally with her own flow, but her technique was, unique, and flawless. As she combated the thug, she swung her blade around, not even drawing it from her sheath, and yet making quick work of much larger and stronger opponent. But as she pressed her attack, the larger man got his grips on her, and forced her to the ground. Roland reached for his blade but in a moment, she was free, with a wee bit of effort. She flew backwards and recovered, while the man did the same. He looked angry now, and hurled both his hatches at the struggling fairy. Roland slid forward with speed and precision, and met steel with godly steel, unflinching as he expertly deflected both incoming attacks with his swords. Each of the hatches went flying to the side, clattering on the floor a ways a way.

"Congratulations, you successfully disarmed yourself. I can honestly say that the only thing you excel in is making yourself look foolish. Go and lick your wounds, we have important things to attend to." He smiled casually at the man who threw the weapons, and he sheathed his blades as he turned to face Vie. "You have to show me what you were doing in there. I have never seen anything like it. C'mon, we are going to be late." The sun was already raising itself higher and higher: no doubt Verity would be worrying about them, if she didn't already know he had not stayed the night at the brothel.

Rynard stormed toward them both, a furious glint in his eye as he mentally killed them both over and over again, each time more brutal than the last- a hand stopped him, yanking his shoulder back.
He snarled and lashed his arm out, the man swiftly leaning back to avoid his backhand.

"WHAT!?" he snapped at his partner, his fingers curled like talons. "Why are you stopping me, Weis?"

"Easy there bronco," he whistled, adjusting his hat as he eased him over to the window. "I can tell you were about to use. . . that. The only thing you have going for you is the element of surprise, if you blow it here then this really will have been a pointless venture, no?" The taller man contemplated for a moment, gritting his teeth before shoving him aside.

"After I find her and break her neck," Rynard hissed, jabbing his finger toward Vie. "You're next."

"You're not scaring anybody, you big oaf," Weis admonished, pushing him through the open window. "Sorry lads, didn't mean to interrupt your fine morning," he said with a pleasant smile and a salute.
"Perhaps we'll meet again. . . perhaps not. In any case, do enjoy the rest of your day!" With that, the criminal pair vanished into the alley, leaving the fairy and the pirate standing side by side once again.
Vie breathed a huge sigh of relief, planting her weapon into the ground and leaning all of her weight into it like a cane.

". . . Thanks." She lifted her head and smiled, giving a weak thumbs up. "And that was cool, wasn't it? I'll show you any technique you like, just uh. . . carry me back, will ya? If it's not too much trouble."

Roland watched as the two gents disappeared into the alley, his hand no longer glowing faintly green, and the mana dispersed. "I would like that, and I can show you how to hit with some force. and alright, but only because you made a grown man look stupid." He scooped her up into his arms, his eyes widening at how much lighter than she appeared to be. With relative ease, he hoisted her up and walked through the streets, passed most of the mid morning commercer's, who watched with small surprise as the sailor passed with the Fae in his arms. In no time at all, they were back at the Sultry Pearl.

"We should climb in through the window... I don't want Verity to know I wasn't sleeping..."

Vie nodded and vaulted over the fence, flying up to his room - albeit a bit sluggishly. She rolled inside with a thud, sighing as she lied down on her back and gazed into the ceiling.
. . . Dang it! I wasn't supposed to let them get away. What if something happens to Dagne? I've got to warn her. Springing her knees into her chest, she snapped to her feet in one leap, waving her arms out to hold her balance. Right, I know what to do! She busted through the door and skipped her way downstairs without waiting for Roland, interrupting everyone's breakfast.

"Good morning!" Vie waved with a light giggle, her clothes still caked in her own blood. "Does anyone have a piece of paper? And a quill? I need to write a letter real quick."

Roland did not get up to the room with quite as much grace, being as he had no wings. Instead, he took the wall, climbing an ivy patch, swinging over to a the chimney, and from there shimmying his way up to the sill, where he pulled himself inside. Vie was no where to be seen, so he stood up and dusted himself off, and left to follow downstairs. At the table was Vie, Az and Verity, who he offered a chipper good morning too.

"Ready for the gauntlet?"

Verity had all but cleaned her plate when a girl came bursting down from the stairs with gusto... covered in dirt and blood. She looked non-the-wiser of her appearance and was even bouncing around for parchment and a quill. Hopefully would get the girl some ink too. Verity half-stood from her seat, not sure if the fairy needed help other than finding letter-writing materials. She glanced at Azaria and then back at the fairy.

"I... um... have parchment." Verity offered, pulling a pack of the stuff out of her travel bag and holding it out.

Roland wasn't far behind the girl and he too looked cheery and energetic. It was much different from the morning-Roland she had known the past few days. She gave him a suspicious look, wondering how long he'd been up and about.
BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Melon Bomb Melon Bomb Zazz Zazz

Azaria eyed the two as they came in, sharing a glance with Verity. "Someone could use a bath..."

Kaeli smiled and patted the little fairy's shoulder. "I'll bring you some ink and a quill, dearie. You two sit down with some food, all right?" The redhead padded away lightly, picking up empty plates on her way to the kitchen. She brought back writing materials and set them on the table.

"Ah, thank you so much!" Vie hopped into a seat and began scribbling into the page right away.

From the doorway, Kezine ducked her head and pushed the curtain aside, stopping slightly as she looked down at the chipper fairy. She only went for a quick walk, what the hell happened? Not that it was any of her business. Loudly, she dragged up a chair and hunkered down to dig into breakfast with the rest of them. She was a quick eater so she wasn't worried about catching up, but. . .

"You look like you fought a bear," she commented, side-eyeing Vie as she popped a strip of bacon into her mouth. "Are you. . . okay?"

"Nothing I can't walk off!" the girl beamed back, pointing her quill at Roland. "I ran into a couple of jerks, but he scared 'em off I think. Or maybe I scared 'em off?" She leaned into her chair with her hand at her chin, nodding to herself as she recalled how she smacked that guy around and completely ignored how she got thrashed twice as hard. That first part didn't count anyway, she didn't have her sword on her!

Verity gave Roland another look, this time with a raised eyebrow. "Roland helped you did he?" With a amused chuckle and a wave of her wrist, she said, "Sounds like you had an exciting morning, fish legs."

She gave the bloody fairy an attempted friendly smile. "I'm glad you're...alright" she paused, eyeing the mess, "My name is Verity. Who might you be?"
BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Melon Bomb Melon Bomb

"Hm?" The fairy glanced up, pausing her writing hand. "I'm Vie!" she smiled back twice as brightly. "I'm a hero! Or, I'm trying to be a hero at any rate. Lord knows how well that's going!" She giggled to herself, her wings flittering behind her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, miss Verity! If things go over smoothly, there's a good chance we may be working together in the future - now there's an idea, huh?"
She rapidly twirled the quill between her fingers a few times and got back to writing.

"Every hero needs her partner! Well. . . partners, I should say." Her eyes bounced up again. "That's why everyone's going, right? To be an awesome hero."

Azaria raised an eyebrow at the fairy's enthusiasm. "Sure," she retorted before she could stop herself. "That's exactly the reason. To be heroes" Kaeli had run off, working, and was therefore unable to turn her words into something less sarcastic. "Awesome heroes." The halfling rolled her eyes and finished off her breakfast. Sitting back in her chair, she casually flipped a throwing knife between her fingers, toying with it. Her piercing gaze took in Vie's disheveled, yet bubbly self, and Roland's reactions to Verity's questioning. Just what had he gotten up to?

Roland felt himself squirm a little under Verity's gaze when Vie very gently recalled his "rescue" if you could even call it that.
"I was just around when she got jumped. Really I hardly did much of anything, she was the one who did all the heavy lifting. Quite the swords woman." Roland smiled approvingly at Vie.

"I don't know about heroes" Roland said with a innocent chuckle. "I was more hoping for a life of adventure, but I suppose helping some people along the way would be a good bonus. Speaking of which, where is Pyrrhus? It's getting later into the morning, we will miss the gauntlet if he doesn't hurry up."

~*~ Now, as our company of heroes enjoyed their early breakfast by the crackling hearth of the inn, it ought to be brought to notice that a small matter of small tall proportions might not did not have occasionally flit through the profound nooks of their ever absent minds. The question pertaining to the absence of presence of a certain particular brilliant most wonderfully marvelous individual hung unsounded in the air like the flowery pungentcythisisword,yes of a dryad's silent fart-

"PFFFT!" An indignant and elegantly sophisticated splutter of derision spurted from the delicate lips of the stubby horned halfing. She sat on a strangely out of place bright red toadstool (because this is in some alleyway in the city, duh) which was the size of a small toddler to an audience of grubby gaping-mouthed dirt stained children. Grasped between her fun-sized fingers were several tattered pieces of parchment loosely strung together by what appeared to be dried grass.

"By EreBUSUS darkened bowels! This is the horriblelest piece of :o:o:o I have ever read! Who in all of Nymserine wrote this!?" Lit by the light of a few flickering candles, they were gathered in a small shadowed alcovecos everything shud be smol . A halfling, a handful of children and a single feline. The latter two could only blink in wonder as the former ranted about the lack of creative disposition in the current circle of so called distinguished book writers. Thoroughly vexed, Fernwe folded the gaggle of papers so she could have a look at the moron who wrote said pile of troll snot. Flipping to the front cover, her hazel eyes Narrowed as she scanned the page.

"THE EPIC ADVENTURES OF FERNWE & THE REDUNDANT SIDEKICKS"
as chronicled by Fernwe Briarbark

The halfling let out a soft "oh..." but without missing a beat, she reached over and set the papers alight at one of the candles before casually tossing it into the gutter. She turned back to her audience with a wide close-lipped smile, nodding and humming to herself. The children glanced at each other before turning back to look at the halffairy, seemingly transfixed by her antics despite the fact that they had been all over the place for a whole night. Almost all of them could definitely tell that something peculiar was in the atmosphere, especially from the moment they met the child-that-is-not-a-child the previous evening. They barely rested, and ate nothing but a berry paste of sorts, but had been playing all through the streets for a whole night, past dawn, till it was well into the morning.

"hmm~...hmmm~... HMM~! OH! I KNOW! We'll play another round of seek and catch!" Fernwe exclaimed to the cheers of the grubby children, their faces bright as the rising sun. The only individual whom did not look particularly impressed with the brilliant plan was Finwinne. The tikitooth let out a drowned out mew of protest before rolling over in surrender. Her mistress was not perturbed in the slightest, proceeding to enthusiastically spell out details of the 'game'.

"Whoever manages to keep away for at least ten minutes, will get to have a piece of this delicious herb cookie! It's super tasty! Here... Gertrude... Gertrude..! GERTRUDE! Yes you, pass this around so everyone can have one." One of the boys, slightly larger than the others and with a mop of messy blonde hair (whose name was clearly not Gertrude, but well, it is now.) took the proffered cookie bag somewhat incredulously before distributing it among his friends. A moment later, Fernwe cheerfully accepted the now empty cookie bag. No one questioned the halffairy's sideways logic of giving out the prize before the game even began, but instead began munching on the delicious morsel.

"Everyone has one? Great! Now Gertrude will count to fifty-" 'Gertrude' gave the halfling another incredulous look at this point. "-I want you children to run as far as you can! Ready?!! GO!"

, . ; ' ` ~ ` ' ; . , . ; ' ` ~ ` ' ; . , . ; ' ` ~ ` ' ; .
"Fortey Egg... Fortey Noine... Fivety-!!! ... OOF!" 'Gertrude' grunted, the air knocked out of his lungs as Fernwe (who was by his side the whole time) suddenly tackled him to the ground.

"You aren't all that fast huh? Better work on those legs Gertrude." 'Gertrude' could only stare, a mixture of incredulity and dumbfoundedness on his face as the hafling leaped back to her feet and sped off in search of his friends. Finwinne looked at the boy, an apologetic look (if tikitooth's had that expression) on her face, before padding off after her mistress.

(will probably wait till you guys are just leaving the Sultry Pearl before crashing in)

Last edited:
Pyrrhus had risen early and decided to visit some of his friends in the city guard. The breakfast wasn't much but the company more than made up for it.
"It's not as free as merc life, but the pay's more stable." One man said happily.
"Maybe you should try it eh Pyrrhus? Seeing as it's stable." The other was promptly smacked for his horrible pun. Pyrrhus watching his friends' antics and laughed.
"Can't get over the horse jokes can you Barnes? They're still not funny."
Eventually he told them about the gauntlet. One of them spat his ale in shock.
"You're going to do what?!"
"The gauntlet." Pyrrhus said casually. "Might as well, I've always wanted to see what the circle was about. I hear the pay is better too, and stable." He winked at Barnes.
"Those trials have reduced the best men I know to tears." The first said gravely.
Pyrrhus made a face. "Well, I won't know what will happen until I try."

The Sultry Pearl was just as he had left it, small and aged in the city's dusty, morning light. He greeted the reception warmly and smiled and waved at the girls he had been acquainted with the evening before. The massage had been wonderful, and before he had left that morning he had faithfully promised to book another.
He found his friends in a room being served their morning meal.
"Good morning," he said brightly. "Hello Vie, glad to see you're settling in." The room, as most rooms, became rather a lot smaller when he was inside it, so he sat in a corner and tried to take up less space, snatching a pastry off the table as he did so and tucking into it with enthusiasm.
"Whaf's vis abou' 'eroes?" he asked through a mouthful of almond paste filling.

BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Zazz Zazz Purize Purize Melon Bomb Melon Bomb

Last edited:
oO*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*Oo

As the morning ebbed away, the sky became overcast by clouds and wind whistled softly through the capital city. It was still fairly warm out still when when Verity and the others finished breakfast. Despite the streets bustling with people, Verity found it really relaxing to walk along the cobble streets. The air felt nice, even with the absence of sun.

A large and impressive wall loomed upwards in the distance, towering over the sloping shops and buildings that made up the busiest parts of the middle ring. The inner-most ring was the tallest, or so Verity guessed. She always thought that it was the outermost wall that ought to be the biggest and sturdiest... but then again, it was probably just for show. The whole layout of the city was a not-so-subtle hint at the god of balance and unity. Everything seemed to come in threes and had a strange sort of symmetry to it. Each wall had a massive wide-open gate that never really closed. The one that lead into the inner most ring had a shiny marble bridge that arched elegantly over a moat of churning water. Guards in gleaming armor stood with spears at attention on either side of the gate, but they hardly bat an eye at Verity and the others as they passed through.

Now, past the wall, the land began to elevate. At the top of the hill in the very center was the castle of the High Court... possibly one of the most magnificent structures in Nymserine next to Necropolis and the Great Library. It's spires shot out into the sky like spears and it's columns and buttresses sloped with a sort of intricacy that closely related a gothic cathedral.

For a moment, Verity paused, looking up at the massive citadel in awe. Of course, she'd seen it many times before, but never had it ceased to amaze her every time. She crossed the length of the bridge and suddenly everything around her looked a lot brighter and more pristine than the first two rings. There were trimmed hedges and small fountains and carriages gilded in gold lead by white horses. The roads that were once cobble, now looked like pieces of carefully-placed art, making a mosaic pattern that spiraled and curled on itself... and Verity was always a little unsure if she was actually allowed to walk on it.

While she had never actually been inside the headquarters of the circle, it wasn't a hard building to miss. It was almost as impressive and baroque as the castle, but on a much smaller scale. It had wide steps that lead to the platform that the whole building sat on and it practically screamed exclusiveness. The elven princess was used to the exploitation of wealth and resources and knew quality when she saw it... it really was a bit much for a guild of warriors, but then again, they really were the right hand to the High King.

Verity climbed the steps to the top and approached the grand double doors that marked the front entrance. She paused at the handle, feeling a little nervous. Butterflies of anxiety and excitement fluttered in her gut, but with a sharp inhale, she pushed forward and the door open with a groan that echoed over the marble floor of the expansive interior.

A few people milled about the foyer of the headquarters of the circle. It didn't look much like any other guild hall she'd been in, but there were a few similarities. Of course, not just anyone could come in and get jobs. They're requests came from higher up... which eliminated the need for the tell-tale billboard overflowing with flyers and posters. In the center of the room was a larger broad-shouldered man who looked like a really strange cross between an adventurer and an aristocrat. He had faint scars visible from the hems of his shirt and a rather impressive-looking broadsword that looked like it was as long as Verity was tall, was strapped to his back. It wasn't too hard to tell he was a circle member. The emblem was tattooed on his upper arm in bold black ink and he had a sort of intimidating air about him that said he knew how to stand his ground in a fight. In front of him, was another man who looked like a lower-class merchant. The adventurer practically dwarfed him in size as they spoke, his serious-looking eyebrows furrowing slightly with frustration. As Verity approached, her pace slowed. From what she could tell, they were having a rather heated discussion.

"As I said, there is nothing we can do about it Sir, I apologize. You will have to take your business elsewhere." The circle member said with finality, his deep voice almost reverberated around the room without him even having to raise it. The merchant threw his arms up in an exasperated plea, "No one else can handle this! I don't care how much it costs, please!"

The man looked sympathetic to the merchant's problems, but again he shook his head. "We don't have the time or man power to handle local jobs, Sir. You will have to take this up with the Astra guild," he replied. The man sighed hopelessly, his head hanging. He muttered some sort of "thanks for nothing" retort before turning and pushing past Verity. She watched him go with concern, wondering why the man hadn't gone to a local guild in the first place. After he left, Verity walked up to the circle member. He sighed, and cleared his throat as she approached, nodding a greeting. "Good afternoon... I'm Maximus Powwel," he said, looking a little wary that it would have to deal with more job requests from strangers. Verity froze for a split second. The Maxumus!? She thought to herself, The leader of the Circle!?!?! OMG OMG OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGGGG.....

She cleared her throat, scolding herself silently to focus. "Good afternoon," Verity said, dipping her head in introduction. "My name is Verity. I... We... want to run the gauntlet." Steady determination set over her face, hiding away her insecurities. "If you need more man power, then we are very capable warriors. We are willing to prove it and join the ranks of the Circle." She raised her chin and looked him in the eyes. He rose an inquisitive eyebrow.... he really did have big, bushy eyebrows, it's a wonder that people never get distracted talking to him.

"Well..." he started slowly, "The trials are running today, as a matter of fact. If you and your friends feel that you are worthy, then I shall escort you to the site and wish you the best of luck." Verity blinked at him for a moment, a little dubious. Really? That's it? We're going.....right now? He looked over the whole group, taking in each person with a speculative eye. If he liked what he saw, or didn't he hid it very well and turned abruptly. "This way then." Verity turned to the others behind her, a sort of giddy look on her face before quickly following after Maximus.

BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Zazz Zazz Melon Bomb Melon Bomb SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pyrrhus found himself staring. He had never had cause to visit the upper rings of the city. He was absolutely awestruck by the intricate finery that was on display all around him. Suddenly his coat felt dusty, and he worried about tracking mud on the shining tiles beneath his feet. Verity seemed much less self-conscious, a fact Pyrrhus stored away for later reference, that is until they both caught sight of the High Court castle. It's spires could be seen from the lower ring, but now Pyrrhus was graced with its full majesty. His mouth hung open.
"All this...I wonder how many they could have housed and fed with the money it took to build it..."
Pyrrhus followed the elf into the hall, the sound of his hooves echoing up into high places and drawing curious looks. He gave gawkers a slight nod, as if he was meant to be here.
A raised voice drew his attention back to the reception desk, where a rather disgruntled merchant shoved his way past them, or rather, tried to shove by Pyrrhus, but didn't succeed in more than bouncing off his flank.
He hid a smile at verity's confined enthusiasm for meeting the circle's leader. Pyrrhus had heard the stories, though he'd never actually seen the man for himself. He let Verity do the talking, standing as silent support behind her.
"Well, that was easy." He said when she looked back at them.

((Sorry for double post, but I don't want Pyrrhus to get left behind again, and I don't trust notifications anymore.))

Roland was glad to finally escape the sultry pearl. Though all of the women there were nice, he had his own feelings about the profession, as well as the leagues of human trafficking so closely tied to it. It was beautiful out, and together they all made there way through the city. The crowds were just as bad as the first day but the tides seemed to move them along just fine. As they began to cross into the upper ring, and Roland passed over the water, he could feel the mana resurge itself into him, and he walked with a little more confidence in his step. Maybe he would get lucky and the entire gauntlet would be about who could hold their breath the longest.

They soon found the palace, and from there they found themselves making there way to the Circles head quarters. Verity seemed to be in awe, but Roland wasn't as excited. Despite its regal architecture and the history emanating like thick blood from its walls, Roland found his mind wandering. Oddly enough, he felt no nerves about joining the Circle. He was glad to do it, and be a part of Verity's dream, but there were more important things on his mind. Like when his next meal was. And also why there was so much poverty in a city like Aeredale: Thugs harassing fair folk, children roaming the streets caked in dirt with no parents around. The middle ring seemed untouched by the same problems that the lower-ring was comprised of. They needed someone looking out for them.... An image of the abandoned guild hall poked up in his mind. Maybe they could be the herose of the lower ring..

He had been so engrossed with his thoughts that he hardly noticed a man push past there group, mumbling about the circle being no help: he was clearly from the lower ring. Roland watched him storm out, then turned to the man who spoke, calling himself Maximus. His eyes wandered though, and he realized for the first time that they were inside a buildings of sorts.

Verity and Maximon or whatever his name was began talking, and Roland tried to keep up, but his thoughts kept going back to the idea of starting his own guild. They could represent the hope of the people of the land: they could be... wait were they moving again? The group began to leave the building, and a few minutes later they were outside of a set of carved ruins..

"Where are we?" Roland asked, looking around the place curiously. It was located in a courtyard that seemed almost removed from the rest of the city.

The group left the Sultry Pearl fed and rested - save for Roland who had apparently ran off after getting a room - and weaved their way out of the outer ring. Hungee and dirt left them behind, if only temporarily, and they found themselves in the extravagant display of wealth of the inner ring. Azaria brought up the rear, silently taking in everything around them. She hesitated near the gates where two guards stood tall, but she decided to take the main entryway anyway. She knew other ways in, but they were better covered by the darkness of nightfall, and she was waltzing right on into the Circle, anyway. If they were going to arrest her, so be it. She had to try.

Inside the guild, there was no messy bulletin bdoard, no ragged adventurers. One could feel the power held in this building. Azaria took in the man's thick, bushy eyebrows and imposing stature, and the man who grumbled his way out. Roland, clearly, was in his own little world and had no idea what was going on.

"We're high in the mountains where living things suddenly stop breathing," she answered him with a roll of her eyes.

The ruins stood like towers of broken obelisks worn and faded by time. The ground here was mainly made of stone and pieces of rock and rubble littered over the path leading up to what looked a lot like a cave. It was man-made though, Verity could tell. The place exuded ancient history and a sort of hallowed significance that the elf couldn't quite place.

"Where are we?" She whispered quietly behind Maximus, who had paused. The area warranted a quieter, more still scenery, much like a library or catacombs. Being loud just felt wrong.

"This is the place where King Aeredaius slew Azarath in the Great War. The site was erected shortly after the battle and became the first building of many to found the city that eventually became Aeredale." The man also spoke quietly, his back to the rest of them. After a pause, he stepped up to a large stone slab cut into the shape of a circle, bearing the guild's emblem in the very center. He placed his palm on the sigil and it began to glow a soft gold color before the sone shuddered and began to slide backward. Stone ground on stone and soon the circular door rolled to the side, allowing an opening wide enough for them to pass through.

Maximus turned to the group briefly, nodding once before disappearing into the darkness of the ruins. Verity's palm tingled and she could feel a strange sort of magic that hung in the air. It didn't seem to be coming from a person necessarily... but from the structure itself. With a shaky exhale, Verity stepped through the opening. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the darkness.

The room was large with a high ceiling, almost impossibly high considering how the building looked from the outside. Verity spun in place, taking the whole room in. It was carved out of stone as if they were underground. Torches fueled by mana glowed dim and blue on the walls. On either side of the room pillars towered, connecting the floor to the ceiling. Some had crumbled and chipped away, leaving chunks of rock on the cracked cobble beneath their feet. Maximus stood by the entryway, waiting for us all to file through. They weren't alone in the wide expanse, however. Already waiting in the chamber was another man with the Circle's emblem stamped on his shoulder, and two other adventurers, a man and a woman, stood beside him. The woman looked almost as impressed with the place as Verity was. It wasn't hard to guess that they were both here to run the gauntlet as well.

"That's the last of them for today," Maximus told the other man who eyed the newcomers as they came in. "Quite a haul Max..." His voice was different, thick with a foreign accent Verity didn't recognize. He didn't say anything else though as he stepped past them all and joined Maximus by the door.

"We must part here. Best of luck to you all." Maximus gave us all a grave nod before he and the other circle member disappeared through the door again, which grinded back into place, sealing into the wall. Verity opened her mouth to call to them, but it was too late. They were alone. She turned to the front of the room. It looked like there was a door on the other side and some sort of pedestal or altar. Giving the others a nervous glance, she stepped towards it. Up closer, it still didn't look like anything special. It was carved out of rock like everything else in the room. Glyphs ran down the sides in an ancient magical language she couldn't read, but she could almost feel the words speaking to her.

The was a whoosh sound, like a fire lighting quickly, and brilliantly in a fireplace. Verity stumbled back from the pedestal, joining the others when she saw a man now hovering over the slab of rock. He held a sword that pointed down towards the earth, his palms resting atop the hilt. He stared down at them through slits in an elaborately decorated helmet. He looked ethereal and translucent. He looked a lot like a spirit, but much more powerful and commanding.

"I am the Guardian..." His voice spoke, sounding like whispers in Verity's ears. His mouth was a firm line, and didn't move as words spilled into the air. "I have no other name or title, nor do I have any other purpose than to oversee the Trials of the Gauntlet."
BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Zazz Zazz Melon Bomb Melon Bomb SilverFlight SilverFlight

Last edited:
They followed Maximus Powwel into the cave. The hairs on the back of Azaria's neck stood when the impossible largeness of the room beyond came into view. There was magic, here, in this place, and it made her feel small. She eyed the crumbling pillars, hoping what was left of them would hold lobg enough for them to escape, even as the circular door rolled shut behind them. "What splendid hospitality," she muttered, slowly peeling her eyes away to watch Verity approach the pedestal.

The halfling stepped forward hesitantly, her footsteps silent even in the echo of the stone walls. Then the 'Guardian' appeared, and Verity stumbled back to the rest of the group. Azaria stood in front of them, her intense, piercing gaze on the spirit warrior, a dagger unsheathed.

"I am the Guardian... I have no other name or title, nor do I have any other purpose than to oversee the Trials of the Gauntlet."

Azaria's gaze flitted past him to the door. She was very aware of their surroundings, of each torch and of each patch of dust on the cracked floor. "Maybe you could guard this place a little better," she muttered, not really expecting an answer.

Pyrrhus followed suit, the hairs down his equine back spiking as he felt the magic seep through the air. The ruins they walked through were old, and if he focused very hard, it was alsmot as if he could feel the ferocious battle that had taken place. He decided he didn't like it very much at all.
The guardian appeared and he startled, about to pull his blades from their sheaths, but relaxed when he realized the ghostly figure didn't mean to hurt them.
Azaria replied to it and Pyrrhus tried unsuccessfully to stifle a laugh.

"Urgh... Looks like it's going to be a hot day."

Blandur grunted in response to his compatriot's whining complain. He shifted his weight to his right foot and shrugged his shoulders in an attempt to loosen one of the overly tight straps of his plate armor. Plate metal creaked and protested as Blandur felt like he was a fish stuffed into can. Perhaps it would do him good to visit the armory after his shift was over. Relative peace times certainly added to his widening girth, as well as the fact that he had been on gateguard duty for over a year.

"We're so gonna roast in our armor, arghh! Why do we even have to wear such things?! It's-..!" The other guard began again, his voice annoyingly high pitched like a flustered man-sized pixie. Which was like a pixie, only fifty times more annoying. Because well, people are about a fifty times larger than pixies. However, they might not be fifty times louder, so that- well you get my point.. or not.. whatever..

"Shutup Bob! Stop whining! There are people approaching." Blandur made another mental note about putting in a suggestion to the Captain to change the roster. He swore he was going to be deaf in his left ear if he had to spend another day with the half butted Bob. He literally has half a butt. Seriously. No... don't ask.

Armor creaked onced again as the two guards stood at attention, halberds held straighter than morning woo- a pine tree. Footsteps padded over the pristine cobblestones as a bundle of adventurers appeared around the corner. Blandur carefully gave each one of them a once over as they stepped through the open gates and into the innercity. They were an assorted bunch, with several standing out more than the others; namely an elf with silverish hair and a towering centaur. They passed wordlessly through the gates and headed further inwards.

Blandur was about to relax his posture when a sudden bout of laughter caught his attention. Turning, he saw a dash of blue as a girl (or a fae maybe?) ran into the open expanse infront of the gates. Cloaked in deep blue, the fae and an equally small feline creature seemed to be chasing a bouncing mushroom the size of a small toddler. Her merry laughter filled the mornin- wait what?! Blandur blinked. The fae had tackled the mushroom to the ground. He could've sworn the mushroom was bouncing all on its own. Nevertheless, the innercity was no place for such... casual business. The guard cleared his throat and spoke.

"Excuse me miss... we can't have your... uhm... games around here. Please be on proper behaviour at all times."

"Oh!" The fae's ears twitched at the first sound, and she quickly stood to attention, surreptitiously pushing the mushroom behind her back. "I'm sorry." She gave Blandur a sheepish look, which almost made him regret chastising her. Her little splash of mirth did much do brighten his otherwise routine morning. The fae fidgeted around for a moment, before her gaze was suddenly drawn to something beyond the gates. She narrowed her eyes.

"Roland! Papyrus!" She exclaimed exitedly, though she was perhaps too far for any of them to have heard her. She started forward at a run, but Blandur cleared his throat, causing her steps to falter.

"Alright! Alright!" Fernwe replied exasperatedly, slowly herself to a more stately pace.

, ; . ' ` ~ * ~ ` ' . ; , ; . ' ` ~ * ~ ` ' . ; , ; . ' ` ~ * ~ ` ' . ;
Fernwe caught up to the group in no time, and though she made no effort to sneak up on them, nevertheless her diminutive figure was rather inconspicuous. Thus, her presence largely went unnoticed by almost everyone except perhaps the Circle Leader. She thought of making her presence known, but the Circle had her full attention.

The structured hall was astounding, but somehow its grandeur caused the halfling a small measure of distress as she timidly glanced to every knook and cranny of the marvelous building, trying to take it all in. For one who grew up amongst the giant towering trees of Selenia, it was hard for her to not feel a tad bit intimidated and claustrophobic. High ceilings or not, it was still manmade.

Fernwe had wanted to be here ever since Lysander had first told her the story about the Circle. Despite leaving her homeland on the pretense of exploring all of Nymserine seemingly on a whim, it was the draw of this prestigious establishment that first sparked the young halfling's desire to see what lay beyond the edge of the Carpathian forest. On the onset, such single minded purpose was perhaps not apparent as on the surface, the halfling's flitting nature; easily distracted and drawn to other things suggested that she was kin more towards the fae. But she was still very human. The blood of the most industrious and arguably, purpose driven race course through her veins. Thus, it was with a mixture of trepidation, awe and barely contained excitement that she stepped along with the group as the headed onto the hallowed grounds of the Circle. Even Finwinne appeared rather subdued as the halfling picked her companion off the ground to cradle the feline close to her chest, seeking comfort in her familiar warmth.

She entered the cave just as Maximus was taking his leave. The Circle leader glancing at her just as she stepped foot into the enclosure. The stone rolled back into place with a rumble and Fernwe turned back to the front just in time to catch the mystical appearance of the Guardian. The spark of magical energy hung like electric in the air causing her breath to catch in her throat.

"Wow..."

Last edited:
Roland ignored Azaria and her jokes, and followed the rest of the group into the tight space. Roland was much more akin to the wide expanses of the rolling ocean, but he remained calm as the door shut. Verity was enamored by the room, but moved forward with a nervous glance.

"Ummm, Verity, I don't think thats a good I.. " With a whoosh and a flash of light, Verity stumbled back, and Roland moved forward in front of the group, reaching for his weapon. His hand froze though as he looked up at the guardian, who announced himself and his purpose. Rolands hand fell away and he straightened himself. The air in the room was getting stuffy, and Roland was still a little miffed about being left in the room in the first place.

"Hey Guardian. We are here to run the gauntlet, and join the circle... sooooo... how do we do that?" Roland had to pause midway through his sentence because he realized he had no idea what to do now. The room was sealed, and they were talking to an expressionless floating piece of metal. Maybe he should have studied?

The Guardian's glowing eyes snap to Azaria as she mutters her snide comment. "Azaria Eldrvarya..." the spirit rasps. "A half blood elf born and raised in the great Elven city, Shylanora... and daughter to a mother most wicked. The memories of what she did to your father haunt you, but with shadow and a sharp tongue you manage to hide your pain from the eyes of the world." His words hang in the air like incense, thick and heavy.

Then, at Roland's dubious remark, the Guardian's attention turns to him. "And Roland Stormblade. A mystical child of power born in the sands and raised by the waves. You feel lost and abandoned, set on uncharted territory without a compass to guide you, following a single star in hopes to find meaning and fulfillment." Those ghostly eyes flickered over the rest of them briefly before returning to the demi-god. "To join the circle is to to be tested by the trials of the gauntlet. I shall assess each of you, as I have already done with two of your voluntary comrades, and then you will be allowed to continue. Heed my words as your fundamental weaknesses as well as your strengths will be held against you in these trials."

He paused for a moment and Verity watched him carefully. She didn't know how he seemed to know the things he did, but a twinge of fear pricked inside her heart. He knew Roland was a demi-god... even though he didn't blatantly call him one, the insinuation was there if you knew what to look for. There was no doubt he knew the rest of their secrets as well.

He never really moved aside from his glowing eyes, the pupils barely visible through the steel-plated helmet. They flickered over to Verity who froze in his gaze. She suddenly felt small in that large room, towered by the celestial being before her. But despite her fear and insecurities, there was still that small spark, that flame that thirsted for adventure and to follow a path she knew she was meant to pursue.

"Verity Ophelia..." he breathed, and she winced as her family name was called out loud. "Also hailing from Shylanora of the Elves. You live your present in the past, shackled in chains by the things that you have done, as well as what has been done to you. Your weakness lies in the guilt that isn't yours to carry and your open heart is easy to bleed." Chills rain along Verity's skin, the words pounding with her heart like a rhythm to a song. Before she could really let it sink in or even react, the Guardian moved on to the next person, one of the two adventure's who had gotten to the room first. But she didn't hear him anymore, she was thrown into her own world of thoughts, whirling around her like wind whipping in a storm. Your weakness lies in the guilt that isn't yours to carry and your open heart is easy to bleed. What did he mean? Deep down, she felt like she knew. She also knew he was right... but how do you face guilt? How do you close your heart to the world that's already so cold and unfeeling? Doesn't someone have to give it warmth?

Before she knew it, the Guardian had moved on from the two adventurer's that Verity didn't know. He now looked at Pyrrhus, who had snickered at Azaria's comment earlier. "Pyrrhus Elantus. Noble with a well-meaning heart and often discredited for your race. You are not like many others of your kind and have taken to love of the arts. While you possess many skills and have forgone many battles and experiences, many things tend to go over your head. You are loved by some for your values and beliefs as well as scorned for your tendency towards imprudence."

For the next few moments, Verity caught snippets of words from the Guardian's voice that droned on about the weaknesses of each person. He talk to Kezine, then Vie before finally reaching Fernwe. Wait.... Fernwe!? Verity spun to see the little fairy bouncing at the back of the group, completely undetected until now. Verity wondered how she had even gotten in here.... in any case, there was no turning back for any of them now.

When the Guardian finished, his specter-like form shifted for the first time, the hilt of his sword turning in his palms. As it turned, a sliver of light cracked behind him, widening into a door-way leading to the next room. "One by one each of you will enter and begin the trials. The best of luck to you all." With that, the spirit went still, the light of his body growing dull and his eyes closing. The torches on the walls flickered and sputtered out one after another until the only ones alight were the ones closest to the doorway. Verity shufted uneasily before climbing a few steps to the platform behind the pedestal that the Guardian loomed atop of. She peered into the doorway, but she could see nothing beyond it but bright light. She turned to the others, the group she had begun to think of as friends and smiled gently at them all.

"This is it I suppose... see you all on the other side." She dipped her head gracefully to them, despite the nervousness that still sat in a well at the bottom of her stomach. Her hair swept like a silver curtain as she straightened herself and walked through the door way, steeling herself for the cold, bright light that washed over her.

(If anyone needs me to edit their "guardian assessment," I will. Or if you want me to add yours in.... I was kind of at a loss as what to write for Kezine, Vie and Fernwe.)

Zazz Zazz BugDozer73 BugDozer73 SilverFlight SilverFlight Melon Bomb Melon Bomb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back