• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Realms of Nymserine: Main Thread [[CLOSED]]

I turned to her, flabbergasted. My mouth hung open, but i shut it quick, turning back to crooney. "I didn't start anything, I just helped some fools sober up."

Crooney didn't seem to hear it over his laughter. "Oh I like this one. She's got enough fire to boil the seas in you, Roland." I blushed, looking defeated. He wouldn't listen to what I would say. He pointed to the hold. "I don't mean to interrupt your date, but the little accident you left us with this morning breached the hull. Theres a pool for you to drain beneath the deck. Go work your magic." I tried to argue, but I heard a voice come from behind me that shut me up.

"Your not talking back now, are you boy?" I cursed under my breath, and turned. "No Cap'n. I was just a little unenthusiastic about draining the lower deck."

"Well now, you wouldn't have to if you hadn't crashed the main mast, now would you?" I huffed irritated and slumped off to the opening of the second deck. 

Greuwn stepped over to Verity and smiled at her. "Well hello there young lady. Would you mind accompanying me back to the cabin for a moment?" His request was rather sudden, but his tone was relaxed and unthreatening. 

While they talked. I focused on the lapping liquid beneath me, and began gently flowing my arms back and forth, like I was pulling a rope, but in a dance. The water began to rise in a stream, flowing out of the deck and back into the sea.

My smile faded to a dumbstruck expression. Did Roland actually take down the main mast of the ship? How does one even go about doing that!? I watched in stunned mesmerization as Roland began to manipulate the water. It moved and shifted to his command like... like... Magic?

I barely heard the words of the captain but when I turned to face him, I sobered quickly. "Of course..." I said, trying to mask the suspicion and uneasiness in my tone. What business would the captain of a pirate ship have with a random stranger? 

Nothing good, I thought.

Nevertheless, I couldn't do much but follow him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Greuwn led them into his quarters, and shut the door behind him. He didn't turn to face verity before looking out his windows at the ship, as if looking for someone/thing. He turned and sighed, removing his hat. "Sorry to frighten you maybe. I didn't want to have this discussion with you in front of the crew. I see that privacy is important to you, or else why where your hood. Not to mention what has happened to you in your past, Princess Verity." He was a tall men, 7 feet, and easily over 350 lbs. He had a terrifyingly long sword on his back and a long brown beard that covered up the lower part of his face. He was terrifying in every way, except for the friendly smile he seemed to give everyone. 

My sword was unsheathed and in my hand before I could think. I pulled my hood down in agitation and held my sword level with his chest. My heart was beating manically and the several paces of distance between us felt way too close. "Who are you and how do you know that!?"

Anger was an understatement. For years I hid and kept my life on the down-low. I carefully planned and covered my tracks and tried everything to blend in as an average adventurer... all of that to just be identified so easily. The man had only just met me and I felt like a fool for it all.

With a few deep breathes I reeled myself in, calming down enough to think rationally. I lowered my voice as well as my sword...  but only a little.

"What do you want...?"

"What do I want?" He put his hands up in surrender, but laughed heartily. "Absolutely nothing, other than the safety of my boy you seem to have met." He turned, leaving his back to Verity. "As for who you are, I am the captain of one of the most traveled ships in the land of Nymseiran. I pick things up here and there." He looked out the window again at me, watching me drain the last of the water out of the ship, and flick my hands to make the tail end spray some sailors with a chuckle. "There is no need to be alarmed. Im not going to tell anyone anything they don't need to know. I was simply curious as to what brought such a celebrity to my humble ship, and son." He turned and sat down, extending his hand towards another chair, in a motion to offer her a seat.

I held my breath for a moment, gauging how much I should trust this man... but in the end I sighed and sheathed my sword. I sat in the chair he'd pointed out and clasped my hands in my lap. "My apologies. If you know as much as you claim, you understand my paranoia." I looked away, my eyes gaining a cloudy faraway look. Even though it was a reality I lived with everyday... it was painful. "I'm hardly a celebrity, though." I said after a moment with a dry laugh. "More like a fugitive these days. I was just passing through town."

My eyes lingered to the window where I knew Roland and the rest of the crew bustled about. So he's the captain's son, too?

I had watched the captain and Verity disappear into his quarters, and wondered what they were talking about. 

Does he know her? I wondered, looking for a way to ease drop. I couldn't see any obscure way to do it, so I sulked quietly against the new mast and waited.

"Spoken like a pirate" He said with a grin. "Well, i'm not here to hinder you. I was merely curious. Im sure Roland will be waiting for you." He rose and gathered his hat, and opened the door to the deck. "It was a pleasure making your acquaintance, Ms. Ophelia." 

"A pleasure to make yours as well, Captain." I stood and made my way to the door, but paused before exiting. I looked at the pirate captain named Greuwn. He seemed wise and strong. Suited for the life of the seas... but at the same time it was like he was a little out of place.

"What gave it away?" I asked suddenly, wanting to know how he knew. "That I'm Verity Ophelia, I mean."

"That necklace you wear is one of a kind. Not to mention the stray locks of silver hairs that escape your cowl."

I saw the door open, and Watched as Verity entered the doorway, but she stopped to say something to Greuwn. I sat up and watched with curiosity, waiting for her to break away and fill me in.

Last edited:
I nodded and casually tucked my blue pendant before pacing back to a rather pouty-looking Roland.

"So you have water magic, but you get excited at my little light shows?" I shook my head at him with a smile.

I pushed my other thoughts and curiosities away for the moment to address her as she came back. "You little light show sent a grown man at mach ten. My Water magic can get you a little wet." I stuck my tongue out at her. "Besides, cant i have admiration for a talented mage?" I smiled at her, a little goofy like, maybe because, in consistency with typical adolescent male fashion, I was crushing. I noticed it however, and tried not to blush. "So where are you staying tonight?" I looked out over the water as it ignited like blazing fire under the setting summer sun.

"Be that as it may." I chuckled and shrugged my shoulders. At his smile I withheld another laugh. Is he blushing? I couldn't tell.

At his next question I turned to face the small port town i'd found myself in and remembered the various inns marked by signs along the cobble roads. "I'm not quite sure yet... I hope to find a decent inn to stay at for a couple days before I go on my way again." I turn back to Roland.

"I'm hoping to do a few guild jobs while i'm here, before I go off to the next city."

A few days? Perfect. Hold your breath, Roland, take  dive. "A few days? Hey, thats about how long it will take the crew to finish the repairs on the damage.... I caused." I fake coughed twice immediately after I spoke. "So hey, if you ever want some help doing some jobs, ill be around." My legs felt like they were shaking. What was happening to me?

I considered him for a moment, looking him up and down. He was definitely capable in a fight and I wouldn't necessarily mind an extra pair of hands... especially for jobs concerning live trolls. I internally shivered. The only concern was the prize money... If he came along I might have to split it with him. I tossed the idea around for a moment and decided it wasn't that bad, we just may end up doing a few more jobs than I'd need to do with just myself.

When I finished contemplating I finally nodded. "Sure, sounds good. Been awhile since i've had company anyway." I gave him a wink and turned on my heel, heading for the docks. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Tomo..TOMORROW! I mean, yeah see you tomorrow." I tried to look calm, but I was certain that I looked happier than was probably acceptable.

I held back a laugh at his reaction and lept over the side of the hull, landing lightly on the boardwalk below. 

I tried to process all of what just happened in the course of this one day. I went to a tavern, got into a bar fight, met a quirky pirate with unusual abilities and then was given a tour of a pirate ship where the Captain of the ship saw right through me almost immediately... and I think I made a friend. 

At that thought I stopped dead in the middle of the cobble street. When was the last time I interacted with a person beyond the simple "Hello, Good day" and "How much for that?" I'd made several acquaintances among my travelers and even a few contacts from bigger jobs in the past, but today was different. I actually laughed and indulged in conversation. It was like living a normal life again.

I soon noticed that people were starting to stare at me standing wide-eyed in the middle of the street and began walking again at a quicker pace. I shook my head to clear away all the thoughts and tried to concentrate on finding a good inn to reside in for the night... but I couldn't shake the warm happy feeling in my heart.

I watched her saunter off into the evening crowds, and wondered at the strange feeling she left in my heart. I was excited to have something to do, and someone to spend time with. As much as I had loved the freedom of being as unattached as the waves, I had always wondered what it would be like to have a friend to be loyal to, and to not worry about having to leave behind. Not that it would matter after the repairs were done....

"Roland, Quit day dreaming 'bout ye girlfriend and get over here. It' time for your training." I turned to Crooney and sighed. I drew my blades and turned to charge in, slashing hard and fast at his body, meeting only a quick flash of steel intercepting my own, the initiation of the contact showering us with sparks.

Last edited:
It didn't take long before I found an Inn that I was happy with. It was a three story building with neatly trimmed lattice walls around the outside and a petite little flower garden. I walked inside and got my room key for a pretty low price and climbed up the narrow stairs to the third floor. My room was supposedly at the very end of the hall on the left, and the woman who'd given me the key downstairs assured my that it had a beautiful window looking out over the whole town. 

I unlocked the door to my room and opened it. The last rays of orange and gold sunlight spilled onto the floor and glittered against the back wall from the window at the front of the room. On the wall adjacent the window was a twin bed with lace sheets and a rather fluffy looking comforter. There was also a dresser, a mirror and a bedside table with an oil lamp.

I closed the door behind me and walked over to the lamp to light it. The last rays of sun were already starting to fade to twilight. After a few tries of sparking the fire, the lamp finally came to life and I sat on the edge of the bed to take of my shoes and cloak. My hair tumbled down around my shoulders like liquid silver and my long pointed ears poked through. I was unclasping my left boot when I heard footsteps coming down the hallway. I took of my shoe slowly as my concentrated shifted to listening.

The footsteps were soft but monotonous. It was as if someone was taking there time slowly and deliberately. I drew my attention more than simple stomping would. They continued down the hall until the finally stopped. It was a long hallway, and I was the last door on the left, but I could see the shadow of boots outside my door.

I looked on passively as the shadow got longer until it looked as if dark smoke was tumbling under the door. The smoke then began to rise and reshape into a person.

Sylas. 

I took off my sword sheath and rested it on the bed and then continued to take off my socks. "The door was unlocked you know, you don't have to be so mysterious."

At my quip, Sylas actually cracked a smile and leaned against the wall next to the door. "Now where's the fun in that..." His voice was low and dark as per usual. He even stood in the shadows as if drawn to them. I always wondered what secrets he withheld, what things he had seen to make him so... detached.

"Did you come to say goodnight and tuck me in?" I said sarcastically. I knew he'd come to chastise me.

"You were discovered today." He said matter-o-factly. I ignored him and pulled back the covers on my bed, busying myself with adjusting the feather pillows, my back towards him. "And you're making attachments." He continued, not ready to let it go. I finally sighed and turned back to him. He was already there, a few feet away from me, and he didn't look happy. I gasped and almost fell against the bed, but I settled for sitting on it.

"This isn't a joke Verity. You have to be careful. Dark times are coming and you have to be ready."

Now I was angry, "Dark times? What is that supposed to mean, Sylas? I haven't even seen you for months, why do you come to castigate me now and then bring dark and gloomy news?" A part of me noticed that my Elven accent was slipping more than usual, but I didn't care. I'd been all alone for months and even called to Sylas for help in the dark and he hadn't come. Now I finally make a friend and he's in my face like we'd seen each other the day before.

He glided back a few paces, almost as if reading my thoughts. His demeanor softened and he looked towards the window. "I know this is hard to understand right now, Princess Verity. I've been busy as of late and I knew you could handle yourself well enough on your own. I come not to nag on you, but to bring you advice." He turned to look at me now, a certain fire burning in his coal-black eyes. "You need all the help you can get in your travels. The boy you met today is not ordinary, and would be a good companion for you in the journey to come."

I stared at him, dumbfounded. "Roland...?" I thought about it, and he did seem peculiar, but what did the rest mean? What was to come? Sylas looked at me with sympathy, which made me almost sick to my stomach. "I know how it's been Verity, and I apologize for your pain." He said softly, his voice barely a whisper.
How could he know how I feel? How lonely and outcast i've been?

I couldn't meet his gaze, but I didn't have to, he'd already faded away into the shadows of the night.

I lifted my Sword from Crooney, who laid on the deck panting. The crew members that watched are sparring match laughed and cheered, lifting their glasses into the air. One yelled "Ay, not even crooney can beat Roland anymore. You taught him too well, ay Crooney?" He scoffed, looking only a bit annoyed at the fact that he was on the receiving end of the whooping that I had received more times than I could count. With a fancy twirl of the blades, I sheathed my swords and bent down to offer my teacher a hand. He begrudgingly smiled and threw his hand into mine, and I hefted him up onto his feet. He patted my back and went to get a drink. Before I could find myself one, I heard Greuwn's voice echo over the deck. 

"Roland. Come, there are things to discus." I looked up at the ships balcony, and the man watching me with no smile on his face. I felt my heart drop. I sighed and waved down the drink being handed to me. I took a swig and handed it back, then followed Greuwn.

We walked away from the crew making merry, to the uninterupted quiet of the back of the boat. Greuwn sat his large behind down on the edge, his feet dangling over the gentle waves lapping at the hull. I followed suite and got comfy: He looked like he had a lot to talk about. 

"Roland.... I've raised you since you were born. You are my son." 

I felt my heart ache slightly. "Whats this about...?"

"I haven't been completely Honest with you my boy. Its time you learned the truth."

The moon was high in the sky now, and low in the seas, illuminating the world. The stars glittered over the dark mirror of the sea, creating the most magical scene for the most heart wrenching moment. "Years ago, when I was a young captain, I found you floating through the waves in a basket of sea foam. I found you with these." I noticed a tear welling up in his eye, as well as a long item wrapped in white cloth. He handed it to me, and in silence I took it and unwrapped it. Inside were two cutlasses, made of  strange materials. The hilts were polished coral, and the actual blade look like liquid moonlight covered in blue glowing runes. They felt ancient and powerful, maybe even etherial. 

I looked at them, then put them aside and spoke to Greuwn, trying to keep a calm voice.

"Who are my parents."

"I... I don't know."

"Bull shit." I said, my anger cutting through slightly. I felt bad when i saw how he flinched at it, so unlike him, but I didn't apologize. 

"Your father I don't know. But your mother... Is Thasia." 

I felt my heart slow. I didn't want him to say anything else. I wanted him to stop, to shut his mouth, but he continued.

"Your a demigod, and your the Heir to the throne of Meletis."

"Stop" I said, looking away.

"Roland. I know this isn't the life you may have wanted, but.."

"shut up! SHUT UP! Just stop." I shouted at him, and quickly grabbed the blades and rose, and left. 

I had left the ship, and Greuwn, and traveled miles over the beach, where I found some ship wreckage. I nimbly climbed to the top of the bow of the ship that protruded from the sand and sat down, crossing my arms over my knees and burying the bottom half of my face in them, and I looked over the sea.

I undressed into my undergarments and slid under the covers of the bed. I dimmed the oil lamp until it was fully extinguished and let darkness envelop the room. Once my eyes adjusted I could see out the window and to the glittering sea beyond. It was a very peaceful view, but still it took some time fall asleep. I don't know how much time had passed before sleep finally claimed me for the night.

Through the evening I sat there, hours upon hours, and I gazed out into the night. My mind raced with so many questions, and wrestled with what was real and what wasn't. Everything I had ever learned had be made loose by the unfathomable rocking the news gave me. I felt unsure and terrified of the world for the first time. These feelings plagued my heart until the suns first light reached my tired eyes. I looked around the beach and found myself continuously alone. In fatigued sadness, I stepped down from my perch and laid on the sand, and was asleep instantly.

The next morning I woke up to spots of sun warming my face and patching various parts of the room. I sat up groggily and saw my reflection in the mirror. I groaned at the sight of my hair sticking up in every direction and fought the urge to hide under the covers and stay there. I slipped out of the bed and stretched, feeling decently rested for the first time in a while. No dreams haunted my sleep and left memories lingering in my wake (ha, play on words x3). 

I gathered my things and pulled on my clothes, saving the cloak for last. After fastening my boots and making sure my sheath was secure against my side, I left the room and made my way down to the first floor, and then outside. The grass was still fresh with dew and there was a pleasant breeze in the early morning air. It was the promise of a beautiful day... or at least it would be if I didn't have to go troll hunting. With a resigned sigh, I began to walk to the docks in search for Roland.

I felt the cool touch of the waves caress my body. Something tickled the skin on my arms. I good feel light shimmering over my eyes.

Shimmering? I opened them and took in the clarity of my surroundings. A fish was nibbling my arm, and the surface glittered with reflections of the surface maybe 10 feet above me. 

At some point in the evening, The tide must have come in while I was sleeping. I lifted my arm to my head, scaring away the fish. I sat up and looked around, yawning. Most of the ship I had perched on for the night was submerged. Schools of fish darted around the sandy banks, and I could hear muffled sounds of people beyond the surface. 

I thought back to last night and felt all the memories and emotions flood back, like a tidal wave. I brought a hand to my face and placed the other one behind me, and looked back when it touched something made out of cloth. I looked back and saw the swords Greuwn gave me last night. I picked them up again and examined them. They were true master pieces, and any other time I would have been over joyed with the gift, but the circumstances in which they were received left me somewhat reluctant to keep them. I thought about just leaving them at the bottom of the ocean, but I reminded myself that trashing them would do nothing to fix any of this, and they were REALLY nice. I dropped my standard steel blades and strapped the cutlasses to my back in the shape of an X. 

I sighed and stood up, and walked out of the water. When I broke the surf, the towns folk who were walking on the beach stared at me. They probably wondered where I came from, or why I wasn't at all wet when I emerged. I didn't stop to explain. Im sure they would come up with something. I crossed the miles I had traveled under the moon until I reached the entrance to the docs. I saw the main mast of the ship at the end, but more towards the front of the Docs I saw Verity walking towards them. I wasn't ready to face Greuwn yet. I Walked towards Verity and waved.

"Hey Ver! Sleep well??"

I turned to the sound of a familiar voice and smiled at Roland in greeting. "Good morning, Roland." I nodded to him in answer to his question and looked down the beach in the direction that he'd just come from "Early morning walk along the beach?"

"yeah, I kinda fell asleep underwater, again." I said somewhat embarrassingly. I quickly changed the subject. "So whats on the agenda for today?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back