• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Realms of Nymserine: Main Thread [[CLOSED]]

Roland stood and crossed over to Pyrrhus after noticing the shaft of the arrow still lodged in his shoulder. "The healer needs some healing. Hold still-" Roland positioned himself nest to the centaurs shoulder and grabbed the roll of bandages he backed, setting them to the side. "-IT will be quick. Don't worry, there is a first time for everything, right?" With that, Roland quickly jabbed a knife in the wound, pressing the bolt through until he could see the tip from the other side. With a quick yank, the broken bolt, soaked in blood was tossed a ways a way, and Roland our pressure on the wound with a cloth, wrapping the wound in bandages. He let out a small chuckle.

"That wasn't so hard! I could be a doctor." After he finished bandaging the wound, he sat back down, pondering the centaurs question.

"I am not sure sometimes. The ocean is still my home, and I often wonder if I made the decision in the heat of the moment.." He let his eyes dart to Verity for just a moment, but he reigned them in, focusing back on the horse. "I guess I needed to be free: in all aspects. Free to make my own choice. Before I left, I started feeling very trapped in my life style, like I didn't have a choice- like my life wasn't mine to live. I guess I am just searching for my own way in life, and the reassurance that I am still in control." The truth of the statement left his mouth and seemed to wrap around him for a moment, not making itself known until it had escaped the prison of his mind. He pushed forward, though, like a shark, and like Gruewn taught him to.

"But you have your condolences about your mother. I am sure she was only doing what she thought was best for you.. My mother was never really there for me."

"Yeah, thanks a million," Kezine said with a wry grin. In truth, she was grateful, but common courtesy was a ball she dropped a long time ago. Slowly but surely, the pain receded and the flow of blood trickled to a complete stop - it was even more potent than she had anticipated. She glanced briefly to Roland.

Idiot. Dumbass. Mega dumbass.

She just couldn't fathom it. But, she was here now. Alive.

"Could've fooled me," she replied, side-eyeing the princess as she made her fashionably late retort. She picked up a stick and began drawing shapes into the dirt, occupying herself as they exchanged witty comebacks. "So how do you feel about all this? Think he made the right decision?"

-

Charlotte reappeared with a caravan in tow, waving to the rest of the team holed up inside the encampment.

"Can't say this was part of the plan, but if the shoe fits. . ."

The old driver surveyed their faces with a mixture of concern and skepticism. Especially Charlotte's. She stood up on her toes to untie the horses, making short work of the leather straps and carefully leading them around to the back. "Funny story really," she continued, "We were about to turn around, when bam! You guys were sitting right there prepping to raid the camp, and I thought, 'hey, I need to get to Aeredale, they need the money - why not work together?'" Charlotte scratched the back of her head sheepishly, shying away for a moment. "Sorry I couldn't do more to help. You win some, you lose some, you know?"

"Wait, no that's..." He trailed off as he watched Roland prepare. "Its really, no, I don't think you...AAARG!!!" Pyrrhus yelled as the knife went in and the bolt came free. A stream of fresh blood ran warm down his shoulder. He gasped and swore, muttering under his breath as Roland bandaged the wound.
"Your bedside manner could use some work." He was half-smiling when he said it. He pressed his free hand to the bandages to add a little pressure while he slowly wove a bit of healing magic into his own skin. It always took much more focus and energy for Pyrrhus to heal himself.
Despite the new wave of pain he found himself diverted by Roland's earnest confession.
"Why wouldn't you be in control of your own life?" but then he considered what that meant. "I think I understand. If my mother had had her way I would be groomed to lead the village, she'd have a bride picked out and I would be leashed to a house." The thought made him shudder.
"No, this is much more preferable."
He listened to Roland's next words and gave him a sympathetic smile. "It seems both of us is a stranger to one parent."
Slowly, fatigue began to wrest control of his conscious thoughts. He stifled a yawn.
"Maybe that's a reason why we're out here...searching for the half of us we never really knew...bah," Pyrrhus waved himself off. "I'm babbling, don't listen to me. Must be the blood loss..."

BugDozer73 BugDozer73

Verity almost rolled her eyes. This one had an attitude to rival Azaria's. "The whole point is to fool everyone, naturally." She watched as the woman scribbled in the dirt with a lone twig. She had a point earlier when she asked Roland what he expected by saving her. She wasn't the type to readily follow her saviors... or captors... whichever she saw them as. Despite her venomous personality and over all bad behavior, Verity couldn't deny her cunning. She was a natural fighter, and very talented in the arcane arts. Verity felt a strange, but subtle attraction towards her that she couldn't quite place. It was like an deep part of herself wanted to be close to another who shared the blood of Magnus. She had never met another mage quite like her, so it was hard to tell the cause. But she did know that she could possibly a good asset to their group.... possibly.

She thought about her question for a moment, not really sure of her own answer. "I'm not like you," Verity said. "I don't enjoy death and destruction. If that makes me weak, then so be it... But I feel that all life has value and that people are born with good in their hearts that is tainted over time." A frown formed over Verity's face as she cast her gaze out over the camp with a faraway look in her eyes. "Roland is an individual of free will. He made his choice. Its not my place to judge the life and death of others." She shook herself from her thoughts and sought to change the subject. "In any case... what do they call you, oh mighty leader of the lost and the broken?"

Last edited:
Roland smiled at the horse, and he clasped him on his good shoulder. "I think you may be right, Pyrrhus. We are going to be fast friends. You rest and I will go gather some wood to keep the fire running." Roland rose and left the halfing under the protective care of the centaur, walking through the fields and dead bodies. They could have made camp a little further away, but Roland did not complain. The smell was not as intrusive as one might have thought, and the grass was mostly dry, save the path bathed in his tidal wave. Roland found Charlotte with her caravan and he smiled.

"Indeed, you were as much help as anyone else, saving us from the bolts. I ought to thank you, so, thanks." He gave a quick smile to her and the man in the wagon, and Roland scratched his beard.
"Who's your friend?"

Kezine listened quietly, connecting the lines of her doodle.

"You think I enjoy killing people?" she said, pausing to look at the elf again. It shouldn't have come as a surprise, but her heart sank when she heard those words. How far she's fallen. . . For a moment, only the slightest hint of irritation creased in her face, but said nothing to defend herself. "Kezine," she answered, drawing again but now with harsher, more aggressive strokes. "Kezine Nadale."

She flung the stick aside, looking down at the completed picture.

A simplification of an old, famous mural. Aeredaius, driving back the wicked forces of Azarath with his sword raised high, the gleam of its blade a beacon of hope to the denizens of the realm.

"Once upon a time, there was a girl who admired his bravery, and his conviction to protect everything the people of Nymserine stood for. She wanted to be a hero, fighting for what was right no matter the consequence. She was strong, training day after day, pushing herself to her limits. She was skilled, leading her people to victory time and time again, despite what meager resources were at her disposal. She was brave, standing firm against those who were bigger and stronger."

Kezine furiously wiped away the drawing, leaving only smears in the dirt.

"But she wasn't a hero." She rested her arms over her knees, facing Verity with tired eyes. "Lost and the broken. . . yeah. Something like that."

- - -

"Oh, him? That's the wagon driver," Charlotte answered, hands on her hips. "I was just hitching a ride." She looked over her shoulder and gave a thumbs up. "Sorry about the delays old man, but we'll be ready to go once everyone's rested up." She started to unfasten the bindings of her armor starting with the bracers, crouching over by one of the open bedrolls. She was careful not to make any sudden movements - if she stretched her arms out too far, a piercing pain would shoot through her nerves.

"You're welcome, by the way. Hopefully we won't stick around too long, wouldn't want some would-be adventurers poking their noses around and mistaking us for bandits."

Last edited:
The scene that Kezine drew in the dirt flickered under the light of the campfire, making it look alive and in motion. Verity could almost imagine Aeredaius's sword gleaming as he held it proud and high. Every child of every race born in Nymserine knew the story of the epic fight between the Circle and the army of Azarath. They grew up hearing it over and over again, the details becoming more fantastical and embellished with each telling. It was one of the greatest examples in history of light clashing against dark in the eternal war of balance. That delicate balance held the world together... but sometimes it was hard to see the goodness amidst all the bad. The world could be a cruel and ugly place if that's all one sought to look for.

Verity's soft heart fell when she saw emotion and humanity in Kezine's eyes. Here Verity was preaching about judgement and how people are innately good, and then she goes and judges people for their exterior anyway. A wave of shame crashed over her as she realized her mistake and she bowed her head. "You said to me that you don't know my life. It's true, how could you? But I don't know yours either. We are all so quick to assume... I apologize."

Verity looked again at the drawing Kezine made, her eyebrows furrowing thoughtfully. "That little girl sounds like a hero in her own right. We all fight for what we believe in." Verity sat up and stood, brushing off the dirt and grass. "I'll get a spare waterskin and a bedroll for you. I suggest you rest until morning." With that she walked off through the ruins of the camp to help prep and set things up for the night.
Melon Bomb Melon Bomb

Slowly, the half-elf came to. Her head hurt. Her face hurt. Her palm was crackly with dried blood from the string of her bow dragging across her splinters. Keeping her eyes closed, she listened to the voices around her. The battle seemed to be through, and she was laying on something softer than the earth. She could smell the charcoal she'd smeared on her face, as well as blood. Fallen blood. Pyrrhus's deep voice was soothing, Roland's... not so much.

Azaria took in a deep breath of fire-warmed air and moved to get up - and stopped. A whimper left her throat before she could stop it, and she swore, opening her eyes wide in pain. The second fall had apparently ended badly for her leg. And something weird was in her mouth. Turning her head to the side, she spat out the unknown herbs, making a face. Taking slow, deep breaths, she glanced about dazedly until her gaze settled on the pirate.

"I need you to set my leg," she said through a strained voice. She twisted the end of her hair into one thick rope and bit down on it.

Roland nodded at the your welcome, trying not to let the image of Charlotte retreating behind a tree cloud his mind to much.
"don't worry, we leave for aeredale by first morning light." He stepped away after an "excuse me" and spend a few minutes gathering some dry wood of to the side of the camp, and brought the bundle back. A few sticks in the fire and the rest by the flames, and Roland was content to sit back on a clean bedroll and.... oh god, she's awake.

"You... what? You just woke up.. " but one look at her leg, he could tell she was serious, and very much in pain. Roland bit back his tongue and crawled over to the half elf, positioning himself in front of her and taking a solid hold of her leg, with her foot in one hand, and her thigh in the other.

"Ok, count down from 3. Ready? 3..." Without warning he threw all his might into his hands and pushed her leg bone back into place with a loud SNAP.

"Nnuuuhrrngghhh," came her strangled vocals; she sounded like a wild animal being captured, her eyes ablaze. She bit down hard on her own hair until the pain dulled to an ache. Breathing hard, she shut her eyes and willed away the pain everywhere.

"...Thank you."

The fire crackled beside her. She had no idea what had transpired for mist of the fight. Her mind was a mess. Azaria felt around her person, noting the missing blades from her belt. "What happened?"

Roland sat back, letting the heat of the fire wash over him. She would be fine...

"... as long as you don't stand for a while. As for the fight, well..." Roland looked back at Kezine, now sitting by herself in the dirt.
"After you got into a scrap with little missy, Pyrrhus ran off to find you, and well the rest of us charged. We struggled for a while to make a sizable hole in their defenses until Verity busted out some serious magic. I don't know exactly who she is, but she has a gift for the arcane." He sounded almost infatuated, and mentally scolded himself. "After that, we tore through their defenses and forced the commander into a surrender. Her lieutenant shot her in the back, and we healed her. Her lieutenant wasn't as fortunate." He gave her a half smile, for some reason glad they could talk without weapons raised at each other.

"What about you? What happened out there? All we heard was a boom, and then the tree splintered. It was amazing."

"I assure you it did not feel amazing." Azaria eased herself into a sitting position, leaning back on one hand while the other rubbed her throbbing temples. She tried to think back to what went wrong. "The first guard went down easy. Next thing I know, I'm about to have my head smashed and the watchtower explodes." The half-elf picked at the bloody spliters still stuck in her hands. "And then Pyrrhus... Something about barnicles... I don't recall. But I was hidden for a bit, and then I was up in a tree by the camp shooting down their rangers. Wait... wasn't there..." It sounded silly in her head, but she could've sworn there was a giant octopus involved. "I don't know. It's all a blur."

She took a look around the destroyed camp. Off a ways, her gaze settled upon a foreign head of hair. The mage. Azaria's eyes narrowed, and she went for a remaining knife at her belt.

Roland followed her gaze, and seeing the fire in her eyes blaze up in realization. Roland knelt forward and placed a hand on the one holding her knife and looked into her eyes with warning.
"I wouldn't do that. We are uh, taking her with us... its complicated. Charlotte and Verity seem to think she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or that she is too valuable to waste. I don't share that sentiment, but I am not going to go telling everyone what to do. The way I see it, we get the bounty and make it to Aeredale and we wont have to worry about her anymore."

He leaned back and looked up at the stars, glittering, and thought of his home, and the one he was working towards now. It was important to stay focused. Speaking of focused...

"So how do you and Verity know each other? I assume you are friends, considering you came out of no where and she blindly trusts you."
He tried not to sound spiteful, but the venom was there.

She almost hissed at him. Almost. But reluctantly, she removed her hand from the dull blade and plucked at her slivers. Her eyes never left the bandit mage, distrust clear in her gaze. No, the bandit mage was nothing but trouble, and Azaria did not like to be bested at her own game. Especially unfairly.

Twice.

At his question, the half-elf hesitated. "Not... really. I just... owe her something." She turned her gaze to him. "It isn't my place to tell." Azaria reached for her waterskin and poured some of the clear liquid onto her bloody hand. "What of your connection?"

Roland felt his cheeks flush at the realization that he wasn't any more entitled to her friendship than most. They had worked maybe two jobs at most. He thanked that gods none could read his mind, an often occurrence as of late. We met a while back. Became friends after we fought off some goonies, and started doing some jobs together for extra cash. Turns out we made a pretty good team." He sighed and gave Az a half smile, as if he were surrendering a battle they were having. "You did well out there, to still be alive. So uh, keep doing what you are doing I guess. And get some rest.. its a long walk to Aeredale, and its going to be even longer walking on that." He nodded at her foot as he stood to go find Verity. It was time for their chat.

Verity scavenged around the camp. It was decently stocked with resources as it had previously housed about two dozen people or so. She didn't have much trouble finding a waterskin and bedroll without too much muck on it. She stood from her crouching position and turned just in time to see Roland walking towards her. She gave him a small smile as he approached.

She felt rather uncomfortable around the group without her cloak on, especially with everyone knowing who she was as of late. Now she only wore a loose shirt and pants with leather straps around her waist and across her shoulder, equipped with her sword and her travel bag. Gauze wrapped around her small wrists in strips... probably something she picked up from Sylas. She used them as gloves essentially. They didn't do much for the cold, but they were good for protecting her hands when she went foraging. She dressed rather simply for an adventurer, nothing really noteworthy about her aside from her long pointed ears and her shimmering blue crystal necklace.

Roland approached Verity, for the first time seeing her without the possibility of the hood hiding something. She looked.... exposed. Like all the world around her was staring right at her, and she was not happy about it. Roland knew she was a fugitive, but everyone else seemed to know a lot more, and that irritated him. Her blatant secrets left him feeling like a child, and it did nothing to quell that frustration.
He grabbed Verity's arm gently and pulled her aside, away from the group several paces.

"This has to stop." He spoke bluntly, letting his words hit her at full force.
"All these.... secrets. Secrets that everyone else seems to know but me. When we started this we both promised to be true to each other, and honest. That is the only way we can make this work." Roland felt as if he might tear up, but he took a quick breath and steeled himself. He could not go on following someone who could not be honest with him, and the realization that this could all have been a waste of time weight heavily on him.

"I..." his toned hushed slightly in embarrassment of the fact. "I don't even know your full name! Who are you? And no more secrets."

The metal plates and trappings clattered against the ground, glowing warmly under firelight. Charlotte caught herself in its reflection, keeping an eye out for any stray cuts or marks on her face as she angled her head around. It didn't make for a very good mirror, but if there was anything obvious she'd see it. Satisfied that her face hadn't been rearranged in the skirmish, she plopped a big cloth bag onto her lap and rummaged around its innards with purpose.

From inside, she prized a wide box of candy. It was cast in a royal shade of purple, its cover glossy and embroidered with golden florals framing the border and a thick golden stripe diagonally crossing from one corner to the other. This was the good stuff - you can't get this in the outer rings. She lifted the lid to reveal an assortment of dark chocolate sweets arranged neatly in a polished wooden cradle. She should be eating real food, but after what she just went through she decided she deserved a treat. Charlotte popped one in her mouth and chewed delightedly, slow to notice that Kezine had suddenly dropped down by her side.

"Oh, you're here!" she said, muffled through a mouthful of chocolate. She took a moment to swallow and wash down with water before continuing. "That's great! I've been meaning to have a chat."

"Figures," Kezine said, adjusting herself. "Your friend said I should thank you."

"Friend? Nah, we just met," she laughed, quickly waving her hand side to side. "And he said that, did he? I can hardly take the credit for this one, that was his phoenix tear not mine." Charlotte produced a scroll from her bag, stretching it out top to bottom. "I have a proposition for you! You said you wanted someone to find you, yes? I can get posters out easy - Aeredale, Meletus, Akron - it'll be impossible to miss."

"You're gonna draw a lot of unwanted attention," Kezine said, tossing a stick into the fire. "Do I have to remind you that I've got a bounty floating over my head?"

"We don't have to use your name on the poster!" Charlotte suggested. "Is there some kind of symbol you can use that only he'll recognize?"

". . . Yeah."

"Perfect! So, in exchange for this service. . ." She rolled the scroll back up and handed it over to the mage. "I'd like you to join my guild. A five-month contract."

Kezine snatched it from her hands and gave it a suspicious once over. Once she was done skimming, she raised her head and met her eyes with a level gaze.

"I'll think about it."

"No pressure," Charlotte added, biting into another bonbon. She held one out to her. "Want one?"

"I'll pass."

"More for me, I guess."

She popped another one in her mouth.

Verity let him draw her to the side away from the others and began to get a very bad feeling. He didn't look very happy with her. Then, like floodgates, her worst fears began to tumble out before her, draining into the endless and expansive sea that was Roland.

"I don't even know your full name! Who are you? And no more secrets," he said.

Verity was frozen for a moment, petrified like a mouse caught in a spotlight. She opened her mouth and then quickly closed it, not quite sure what to say. She could deny him, say she didn't know what he was talking about and that her affairs were her own business.... but those eyes. Those eyes could see right through her like glass, and she knew it. There was no way she would be getting out of this, and a part of her knew that he was right. She had been a liar and an untrustworthy partner. She felt guilty for hiding everything from him when he trusted her with his own secrets. Verity bit her lip, unable to break her gaze into those luminous green eyes that seemed to draw the truth out of her like the tide being tugged and pulled into the ocean. That deep expanse of water that terrified her and thriller her at the same time.

"My name," She started, her voice barely above a whisper, "Is Verity Ophelia. I'm the daughter of Argos and Elvira Ophelia, and the heir to Elven throne..." Her voice quavered initially, her words sounding foreign and distant to her own ears like someone else spoke through her, but then she held her chin up. Her mother had taught her that you would always feel more confident if you pretended to be... even when you were shy and afraid. "I am a fugitive and a shame to my people. I am an outcast of arcane blood as well as a murderer." She finally cast her eyes away, unable to look at him any longer. "Now you know."

Azaria watched the pirate go, an eyebrow raised at his attempt to pay her a compliment. She rolled her eyes with a shrug and went back to grooming. Every now and then, she lifted her gaze towards the enemy, Kezine, her distrust clear as day.

The camp was a wreck. Most of the walls were smashed to pieces. What a waste of good forest, she thought to herself. Perhaps she could fashion a piece into a crutch. Loathe was she to admit she would need one for the rest of the journey.

Verity was safe. That was all that mattered. Her oath was yet unbroken. Azaria ran her thumb over the tattoo that marked her face, remembering the day she had stumbled across her father's cell in the dungeons of Shylanora; she had been just as sneaky as a child. Just as curious. She had recognized her own eyes on his face, her own dark hair on his head. She remembered the look of hope and disbelief on the man's dirty, worn face. And then the guards came, and she was made to watch her father's execution just after learning he was alive. Verity's tyrant of an uncle was the one to cut the young halfling across her face when she spat at him, calling him foul names she barely knew the meanings of. It was he who held her head still as her father's throat was slit.

"You look," Pyrrhus began softly as he watched the flames, "like someone plagued by a personal ghost." He had listened to Azaria and Roland's quiet conversation, slowly closing his eyes, only opening them again when Roland had walked off.
"Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you about it. Everyone has things they would rather not speak of."

He shifted slowly, wincing a bit as his muscles began to stiffen.
"I think you have a strong heart." He ventured, "that's good enough for me to consider you a friend."

Zazz Zazz

Azaria looked his way, her eyes, indeed, haunted. She shifted closer to the centaur, wincing at the pain, and rested against him. Having gotten the wood out of her hands, she raised one to run her fingers through his glossy equine fur. "Thank you," she said, barely above a whisper. "For everything."

Pyrrhus watched her move, surprised by the action. He felt her lean on his flank and kept still so she could find comfort. His skin shivered once under the gentle touch of her hand, a reflexive reaction much like that of a horse. His expression was curious but kind as he looked down at her, with a hint of fondness playing at its edges. If she wished to speak he would listen to her every word. There wasn't much he could say to add to the moment so, he simply let it be, brushing a lock of her hair from her shoulder before resting a gentle had on it as a silent 'you are welcome'.
For the first time in a long while, Pyrrhus was happy to be right where he was.

Zazz Zazz

He looked at her for a moment, letting it all sink in. He had known that she had had some big secret, something worth keeping from him, so in a way he had braced himself just enough to take the news without screaming "WHAT?!" He supposed it wasn't any more strange then his mother being one of the gods of all the land, filling his blood with salt and his heart with a compass leading him back to the shore. She was an elven princess: That, and her being on the run made it very clear all of a sudden why she felt uncomfortable when he called her princess. When she called herself a murder, he wondered who it was she had murdered. It was not as if he hadn't killed anyone in his life. His profession was killing, in a sense. Maybe that was ironic, being the son of one of the gods of life, but he didn't leap down that rabbit hole. Instead, he smiled at her, a confident smile and he held out his hand to the elf.

"Well then, Ms. Ophelia: I guess we have nothing left to hide from one another. I will keep your secret if you keep mine" He smirked, raising one eyebrow in a boyish expression.

Fernwe appeared out of thin air, seemingly popping out from the ground like a dirt mole and settled down on Pyrrhus's opposite flank. Finwinne was nowhere in sight.

"Thank you..." the halffairy intoned somberly. "For this glorious fruit loaf." She reached into her pocket and produced a half eaten bun and bit down into the fluffy goodness with a contented sigh.

"Want some?"

She offered to share her meal with the halfelf and manhorse. Crumbling the loaf into three pieces, she unabashedly popped the largest piece into her hungry chomper and held out the other two bits.

"Ish oood!" Fernwe gave her approval of the loaf between a mouthful of food, spraying crumbs all over the manhorse's coat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back