• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Really Weird and Distracting Thing

Lady Warlock

Anime RN
So there's a really weird and HIGHLY distracting coding thing going on on this page: 

There's an image that shows up in the background of a lot of things when you scroll down the page. I have no idea what it is, but it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to read the content on the page. 

That coding is an image background that remains stationary when you scroll.  If you see something that is distracting, you probably should report it.  Then staff will be able to handle whatever it is more quickly.

That coding is an image background that remains stationary when you scroll.  If you see something that is distracting, you probably should report it.  Then staff will be able to handle whatever it is more quickly.

I don't know which post is causing it because it shows up in quite a few of them. Otherwise I would report it. 

Just report one.  It'll be fine. xD  The coding is used in all of them.

That's just a bit of html I added to my signature and to my posts when I feel like it. 

Here it is:

<div class="size-full" style="background-color: #E2EDF3; background-image:url(http://static.zerochan.net/Yin.full.1947964.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 90% 100%; background-attachment: fixed;">
</div>

If your eyes don't hate me enough already...

@OverconfidentMagiIt is very distracting because it still shows up even if I hide your signature (which is actually something you can choose to do). I do not think it is right for someone to have something in a signature that cannot be hidden by using a hide feature. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Clicking hide signatures works for me, the signature portion vanishes. The rest is part of the post itself.

So for my previous post hiding the signature gets rid of the second Yin image, just leaving the first Yin and the Kaito Kid images.

Ignoring (hiding) the signature does hide everything in the signature.  He did it in the post itself also, that's what you're seeing when you've hidden the signature.

There are two images??? I am highly confused and I still do not like it because when it shows up in one post, it makes the entire thread near impossible to read because it is so distracting. 

There are three blocks where images show through here.  The first and third are the same image, just different sections of it.  The third is in the signature.  The first and second are part of the post.

Hiding the signature will hide the third image block.  It will not hide the first or second because they aren't in the signature.  They're in the post.

Magi's pics.JPG

There are three blocks where images show through here.  The first and third are the same image, just different sections of it.  The third is in the signature.  The first and second are part of the post.

Hiding the signature will hide the third image block.  It will not hide the first or second because they aren't in the signature.  They're in the post.

View attachment 178743

And it is highly distracting. I am struggling to get my eyes to focus on any content on this page because of the effect. 

I also don't want to ignore OverconfidentMagi completely. I have nothing against them. However, I legit cannot pay attention to the content without more concentration that I normally have available to devote to reading a thread. 

Yes, each "window" is actually its own image, I just have it set not to scroll with the rest of the page.

Just hiding my signature should be enough. I usually only add it to the body of my posts if I'm making it look good for a cs or something or else if someone asks about it.

Yes, each "window" is actually its own image, I just have it set not to scroll with the rest of the page.

Just hiding my signature should be enough. I usually only add it to the body of my posts if I'm making it look good for a cs or something or else if someone asks about it.

I'm going to say I don't want to see that kind of coding outside of sigs, since at least turning off your sig is enough, but we can't turn off posts. HTML in posts should be only within the confines of the front layer of the post, not behind, nor should any other site element be altered.

I again feel the need to restate that nothing outside of the post is being touched. All the html is is setting a background image, and the background-attachment: fixed; portion makes it not scroll, so the part of the image seen changes. Its just used to create an illusion of depth. If you don't want me using this one specific piece of html that's fine, I won't, it just seems that people are misunderstanding what's actually being done in the html.

fixed stays fixed no matter what. It's kind of like a physical window: moving around the window changes your perspective, but it doesn't change where things are outside of the window.

At the very least can I still use the html in character sheets?

I again feel the need to restate that nothing outside of the post is being touched. All the html is is setting a background image, and the background-attachment: fixed; portion makes it not scroll, so the part of the image seen changes. Its just used to create an illusion of depth. If you don't want me using this one specific piece of html that's fine, I won't, it just seems that people are misunderstanding what's actually being done in the html.

At the very least can I still use the html in character sheets?

If you want.

Then they can ask him to stop?  Or to put them in spoilers?

@Athena, if you use an ad-blocker, you can block certain elements, like the one used in Magi's signature. ^^

I don't know how to do that. I don't know how to do anything involving adblocker other than actually put it on my browser so that it blocks ads. 

Click on the ad-blocker icon on your browser.  When you have done so, it'll look something like this.

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 5.54.31 PM.png

Select 'Block element'.  From there, the ad blocker will ask you which element you would like to block.  You can select the element by right-clicking or ctrl-clicking the desired item.  In this case, you can click the specific part of Magi's post which you find distracting and it will add it to your list of elements to block.

Click on the ad-blocker icon on your browser.  When you have done so, it'll look something like this.

Select 'Block element'.  From there, the ad blocker will ask you which element you would like to block.  You can select the element by right-clicking or ctrl-clicking the desired item.  In this case, you can click the specific part of Magi's post which you find distracting and it will add it to your list of elements to block.

I still want to see his posts, though. There is no option to select just the fixed background picture. It blocks the picture along with the post content. That's what it seems like, at least. 

That is... irritating. Being given a tool and then being told to not use it to it's full effect (which this isn't, it's rather basic html taken directly from w3schools). 

That's the only argument to really be had, since the html editor provided by the site specifically ONLY allows changes to be made inside single posts. Nothing outside of a single post is being edited, and the thread linked in the OP is me asking specifically about a case that would have violated that (adding sound to a post that would play on load), which was not possible in the source editor.

I feel the need to inform you that you can swap out the image for something animated like a gif or video, make it a background and tag on the fixed property same as any image.

I'll put it in a spoiler so as not to distract anyone who doesn't wish to be distracted.

If you're this concerned about just having an image background I imagine you'd really be upset if I used an example like this.

@OverconfidentMagi Well in fairness the background image does kind of make it harder to read what your actually saying. As I'm more focused on seeing exactly what the image is that is being revealed than on anything your actually saying.

I mean maybe if the image was fixed and the text moved that might be better because it's less distracting - although the images you choose don't have a lot of white space so your still putting writing over an image that might not show that text to it's fullest.

I would think of it like this - do you want people to focus on your words/content or on your picture?

Well in fairness the background image does kind of make it harder to read what your actually saying. As I'm more focused on seeing exactly what the image is that is being revealed than on anything your actually saying.

I mean maybe if the image was fixed and the text moved that might be better because it's less distracting - although the images you choose don't have a lot of white space so your still putting writing over an image that might not show that text to it's fullest.

I would think of it like this - do you want people to focus on your words/content or on your picture?

Those are just examples (and the Yin image in my sig is mostly empty space for that reason), an actual example of how one could use the effect well is here.

Those are just examples (and the Yin image in my sig is mostly empty space for that reason), an actual example of how one could use the effect well is here.

Ah perhaps I wasn't clear I meant the fact that the text moves over a scrolling picture makes that picture automatically more interesting than the picture. I'm not looking at what you wrote I'm looking at the large pictures ( of what I'm assuming is the character ) instead.

if you maybe made the background a fixed thing and then put like a text box on top of it or something that would be a little easier. you would still have your images but the text would be easier to focus on. 

Something similar to this concept - http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/a-nerd-named-rae/31487469/

Now obviously that's a full profile and not just a post but it shows what I'm talking about. If ya want a fixed background in your post then just make the text move. As that would be less distracting to the reader than a moving background and stagnant text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back