Literature Read any good books lately?

I'm currently reading Flatland by Edwin A. Abbot. I chose it as a book to read for a school project. It's a pretty interesting story all about a two dimensional world, while also tearing into the Victorian society it was published into.

uprooted-covers.jpg

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.

I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I watched the movie on Netflix awhile ago and then my friend gifted me the book. I got through it in about three days.

The Dragon Lords - Fool's Gold. Best comedic fantasy novel I've read in a while. The situation is so bleak but the characters are so fun to read about, not to mention the jokes are amazing.

If you want a classic whodunit trying reading either Murder on the Orient Express or Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie.

Just started on Under The Eagle, the first in a series of Roman military fiction. It's excellent so far.

Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. Man, what a rollercoaster—weird, funny and real serious too. I highly recommend his other books V, Mason & Dixon (which is even more funnier) and The Crying Of Lot 49.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back