• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Questquest

Djinn N Tonic Djinn N Tonic

Great question. You slowly crawl out of bed, as if trying to mask any sound you could make as you reach for the lamp. Unplugging it from it's socket and shrouding yourself in darkness save for a small crack of light peaking through the door to the other room, you hold it in your right hand and make a slow advance to the door.

Oh god, oh god.

You open it in a quick motion, holding the lamp over your head.

Elision of Ecritures Elision of Ecritures

You see a main room much like the one in your apartment.

Sitting at a nearby desk is none other than John V. going through old, yellow-stained papers. In the small connected kitchen a pan cooks stir fry by itself, detached from anyone that should be holding it. The room is fairly bland as well.

He looks behind himself and at you.​

You look over at him and then you lower the lamp, if just slightly. You weigh the possibilities evenly in your mind before you act. Youre clearly shaking, not letting go of the lamp for a second as your knuckles go white. You can only think to ask a single question, not dropping your guard for a second.

"Why the fuck am I in your house?"

You stand, lowering the lamp to your side as his story seems to make sense. But you still don't let go. You stare him down, and then look at the floor. Rolling your shoulders with a casual flicker as you try to calm down, you nod at him. "Great. Looks like you managed. Thank you. Why are you...how...ok. H-hi. My name's James."

You introduce yourself with the same level of awkwardness from the hall about twelve hours ago. You cough into your hand, you're still shaking. You feel cold.

"We've been living across the hall from one another. I know your name." He walks over to the kitchen and grabs a small bottle of liquid and walks back over to you. "Here, drink this."

"Well yeah, no shit but we've never formally met." You look at him and then at the liquid. You are extremely reluctant to drink it. You peer at the liquid for a little while. "What is it?" You ask, holding the glass in one hand and the lamp in the other.

"And why should I believe you?" You ask, a tinge of a scoff painting your words before you look down at the 'potion' again. You realize that this guy could've easily have maimed or killed you when you were asleep, but with magic, nothing was as easily black and white with mind games and manipulation. Some rituals required volunteered participation in order to lock in properly. And after your night as of yet, you are extremely reluctant to believe anything as of now without proof.

You take a look at your shoulders while you're at it.

Sure enough your entire left shoulder is completely black. "Because if that spreads, you're just going to turn into a walking bomb and infect more people, that's just what they want."

"So if you were meant to take care of me why didn't you just give me the potion while I was unconscious, since you said you were trying to make sure I didn't die." James countered, shrugging at John with a look of pure suspicion. For once, all of his nervousness and social awkwardness melted away. Probably a product of all the bullshit he had been through in the past twelve hours at least.

You give a deep, almost vindictive sigh as you clutch the glass so hard in your left hand that you swear it could crack if you held on tighter. You don't want to waste anymore time is he isn't lying, because you're afraid of what might happen if you don't drink it fast enough.

"Even if it would mean saving their life and the lives of anyone the might infect? Well, I guess thanks for the common courtesy on that one neighbor." James sighed, looking down at the glass of liquid before he finally put it up to his lips and began drinking the liquid. Gulping it down and resisting the urge to spit it back up in a mixture of morning nausea from his rough night and possibly the liquid's less than potable smell or taste.

"I guess that makes sense then. And you weren't lying. So thank you, again." You nod, looking over to see your shoulder now fully healed from the black mark enveloping most of you skin on your left shoulder. You look back at John V, letting your shoulders slump as you rest the lamp on the table as well. Fuck this. You want answers.

"So, evil void eldritch monsters coming to kill everyone?"

"Oh, yeah that's a thing." He sits back down at his desk. "We've been having trouble with them recently, though I guess the manifold's barrier is breaking down faster than we thought."

You turn over to look at them, an expression of discomfort painting your face as a moment of hard earned levity passed quicker than you thought previously. You look down at your feet again as you hear his words suggesting his relative involvement. "I'm guessing that's the thing that keeps them out. So, do you think that the people who got goo all over them, and vanished...are they most likely dead? And, what do you mean by 'infected', what happens to people who don't get cured and infect others?"

"Anyone who becomes infected, including the people who disappeared, vanish from the manifold, and are taken outside of it, on the other side of the barrier." He writes something down on the paper, then moves it to a nearby stack. "They are still alive, but they just aren't here."

You stand solemnly, crossing your arms across your chest and looking down at your feet as you watch the paperwork be moved in an orderly process. It's funny, you would've never guessed that John V. would be this much of a busybody with this paperwork. You sigh, a little bit relieved and thankful that the people who went missing didn't die. "Who do you work for anyway? You guys are gonna handle this right?"

"I can see that. It must be hard trying to fight something that crazy and weird outside the manifold. Cool name, by the way. I'm guessing it's like a freelance agency or something?" He proposed, sitting down on a chair adjacent to the desk. It wouldn't phase him to hear about yet another organization or agency of magically or scientifically gifted people trying to save the world and fix everyone's problems. There were dozens all across the world as it was. Psychics, vampires, magicians, superheroes of a sort. Destined to protect normal people.

"Oh, a 'scholarly institution' huh? You know I regret not talking to you more, I wish I would've realized sooner that you were more of a nerd than some cool planet saving agent." James laughed a little bit, pulling out his phone and checking the time. It was still fairly early in the day, but he was getting pretty hungry. "So it's like a college?"

"Wait, oh my god. How old are you John?" You ask, your voice suddenly tinged with intrigue and shock as you look at your neighbor from across the hall. Have you been living next to a high schooler for like a year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back