Question regarding nature of my roleplay

Unho1yIntent

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and am hoping someone can answer the couple questions I have. I looked pretty thoroughly in the FAQs and such, but couldn't find an answer.

So...heregoes. I'm looking to host a roleplay...but not like the ones I see here. The one I wish to host is more of an open-ended nation-creation game where each player establishes their faction, and over the course of the game, build...destroy...discover...etc the world that they create together, with me as the GM and catalyst for world events. I like to run such a game with at a minimum a light level of roleplay, but I don't expect every player to have a REALLY in-depth roleplaying personality. Think of the game I want to run as a theoretical fantasy text-based sandbox version of Civilization V.

Does this sound like something that would be allowed on this site, and do you think people would take interest in it?

Thanks friends!

Yes it's allowed. I moved this to roleplay Advice / Planning so you can gain feedback.

It's also called Nation Building Roleplay, there used to be a group around who did it, but I think they've all moved on.

Cool. Thank you. I appreciate the help.

I'm off to bed for now, let me know what you all think! The framework for the game is one I used quite awhile back and will need some tweaking before it is ready, but I hope to have it ready soon.

Unho1yIntent said:
Cool. Thank you. I appreciate the help.

I'm off to bed for now, let me know what you all think! The framework for the game is one I used quite awhile back and will need some tweaking before it is ready, but I hope to have it ready soon.
Put up an interest check. I'm personally not into those, but I have seen lots of members waiting for a Nation-building Role-play. There is one that's just starting I think somewhere in there.

I think it will have to be thought about. I think it sounds like an interesting idea, but you will need to get the right people. Of course, you can't exactly find the perfect people for every position, but this idea does sound interesting. I do have a few questions, actually.

What would the person be roleplaying as, and what exactly be the end goal? Now, from how you described it, I see the people playing as the nation as a whole, their posts consisting of the decisions the "Nations" make, such as peace treaties, declarations of war, Public Denouncement, etc. This seems a little broad and convoluted, each post probably detailing everything a person would do in one turn on Civ 5. Would there any use of time skips? Civ 5 makes great use in them, and I think if you were to go through with this, it could make the whole thing much more interest grabbing and keeping that interest.

Also, what would they be doing? Would everyone be out on their own, trying to make sure they grew up as a nation, or would they just do something else. With these kind of things, you really can't have a antagonist, unless you play around with Natural Disasters, and the like.

Overall, it sounds like it could be a good idea, but a very double bladed one that could end up not going far before dying. Anyways, I wish you good luck with it! I think you will have a lot of fun! ^_^

I actually did this before, but the Roleplay died.

It's funny because I haven't finished one single Roleplay session as of yet.

Anyway, here is the Roleplay in question.

Here is the Out of Character which describes the rules, setting, etc.

Also, if you're interested in making a Nation Builder, I'd be willing to join.

Looking back, it might have been too open-ended, with a presumed goal of world conquest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey sorry for the lack of response. Been busy the past couple days. I'll let you know when I get it finished. I intend on a pretty loose structure, but with a scoring system and a few other things to establish actual goals to work towards.

As Pineapple said, this is called a Nation Building Role Play (abbreviated to NBRP). A few communities ago, on this very spot three years ago, there used to be a ton of those around. Though there was recently talk of resurrection, the last NBRP that old Wolf's aware of was Astrum: Heavens and it died many months ago *howl*

Thing about NBRPs... They will inevitably get complicated. Regardless of your best intentions. This doesn't have to be a bad thing by itself, but unfortunately it often ends up that way. You have a great responsibility as a Storyteller if you want to successfully pull this off. And don't forget to be picky about your players. Not everyone is cut out for NBRPs, even some who think they do.

I wish you good luck *woof*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back