• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Project Horus: 「Hibernate」 (anime, heist, horror, future RP)

Sunbather

Le photographe est mort
%20IMG%5D

3WEuwcm.jpg

txt235_05.jpg
The Situation:

(A detailed timeline can be found at the bottom of this article)

In the year 2075, Japan stirred towards technological improvements. Due to national debt, the project is not feasible under normal circumstances. For this reason, a nation-wide vote is held, eventually permitting companies to aquire the rights to certain property - such as the right to name years or sovereign ownership of territory, in order to finance the project. Influenced by America's corrupt congress and other profit-driven institutions around the world, the corporate world slowly gains more and more influence on Japan's government. Eventually, Camelot's Way Enterprises, a merger of a plethora of highly influential corporations, gains actual political power, slowly but surely slipping in a position where the CEOs are able to officially disband the previous government and now rule autonomously.

Since then, the new body of authority, now refered to as New Haven, has drastically abused the nation in secrecy. Legality is no longer an issue to the corporate world, who maintain society only to avoid revolt. Project Horus is in full force, and has claimed its share of victims already.

Project Horus:

Project Horus is a digitally transmitted signal that interfers with neurological receptors and thus alters the victim's brain activity. The signal has two known effects. The first effect is the complete inability to fall asleep. Unlike traditonal insomniacs, however, staying awake depletes the targeted person, and extended periods of sleeplessness can cause severe health issues. The second effect is a steep increase of apathy. Those affected by the signal are able to complete tasks as usual, but will show little to no care about anything that doesn't involve them personally.

The signal affects a large majority. During peak times, about 85% of Tokyo have been reported to turn into what is refered to as Model A citizens. The periods during which the sigals are active are called Hibernation.

Thanks to this incomplete area of effect, three groups have since been categorized:

Model A | Watchers:

Model A citizens are identified by a steep increase of apathy. A Watcher will not feel compassion or contribute their personal opinions or skills to any situation. Furthermore, Watchers feel a sudden, insatiable thirst for witnessing violence. Unlike Model B citizens, however, Watchers never commit crimes. They are able to continue working their jobs or sustain themselves as any ordinary human would, but drop whatever they're doing when a promising situation arises. Watchers never inflict violence themselves, making them bystanders 100% of the time. Type A citizens face no legal consequences for failing to prevent crimes as long as they cooperate retrospectively.

HWRRiER.jpg

Model B | Hunters:

Hunters are only partially affected by the signal. Model B citizens stay primarily normal, but experience a hightened bloodthirst. While they are proven to not be forced into committing crimes, Hunters have identified exploitable side effects of the grand-scale mystery and are quick to show their true colors. With the lack of a general population willing to interfere, they essentially pillage their way through the city during Hibernation phases. Hunters face legal charges for any crimes committed. As such, they usually go about their business wit concealed faces.
GlcKLJW.jpg

Model C | Pale Eyes:

The Pale Eye type is used to refer to individuals who are immune to the current (and all previous) versions of Project Horus' signal. They do not show signs of unusual wrath, psychopathic tendenices or other behavior associated with Model Huntress, nor do they seem to be affected in any manner observed with the Watchers. Pale Eyes are often faulted as Hunters are, due to their lack of initial intent, often run risk of being openly branded as a criminal. If criminal deeds are not to be proven, Pale Eyes, instead of legal charges, face social exile failry regularly.

wYDgm4x.jpg

Strayfire City, Japan & You:

Strayfire City is one of the last cities to sport "old" buildings. Whereas most of Japan, bar the leftover rubble of a few ruins, is covered in high cities coated in chrome, black steel and neon lights, Strayfire City sports a few dirty, brickstone-lined alleys and hand-made stands on the marketplace. Nevertheless, the advances of tomorrow have arrived with great effect and large parts of the city sport the same neo-noir appearance as the rest of the land.

xJ4Hh26.png

Authoritive presence is high, though rarely enforced, as crime occurs - mostly - during the Hibernation - The phases during which large parts of the population succumb to almost complete apathy. However, the reason for these mysterious phases has not been revealed to the public yet. While the newly implemented rules of legal immunity have helped the citizens to adapt to the difficult situation, the phenomenon of sleep-deprive especially has caused hysteria before. Some of the victims completely lose their mind after prolonged insomnia, and while medical services attend those affected to the best of their ability, there have been reports of suicides as a result of distress.

Now, this is where you come into the picture. As you enter your much yearned for abode, you notice a message.

"You have - 01 - messages."

"Please... just listen! They are gonna come for me, I know. I'm not like those dudes that offed themselves! I swear! But listen! Listen! You don't know but THEY are doing this. They make us stay awake. Forever. I think I might know why but I have to prove it first. Evidence, and shit, you know? But I know you are one of them. Yeah. So help me! Please! I-

This call has - ended. We're sorry.

Doot, doot, doot..."

"You have - no - messages."
Timeline:

2075 | A nation-wide vote has agreed to finance the grand-scale technological restoration of the country by auctioning rights to the corporate world. Companies acquire the right to name the calendar years, purchase territory amongst other things.

The Year of Cophagas Seafood Palace - Fresh delicacies daily! | Camelot's Will Enterprise is formed. An equivalent of the lobbyist-influenced US congress has been put into place, effectively interfering with political decisions.

The Year of Yahatsu’s New Age Leather Fashion (???) | The government has been abandoned. A group of CEOs now discuss and sign bills autonomously.

- The Year of Shibata Vehicles (???) | Project Horus has taken off.

The Year of Hibernation (???) |

It's here: 「hibernate」

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm liking the concept so far as it seems very elastic in terms of where it could go. In that light it seems akin to an RPG where you get to free roam which I enjoy.

Great idea, but I might be overcommitting to RPs right now. Wish I'd caught this earlier

It was an interesting premise, but I don't quite understand exactly why they decided to wall Tokyo off and make it a televised bloodbath... What purpose does it serve?

Shireling said:
It was an interesting premise, but I don't quite understand exactly why they decided to wall Tokyo off and make it a televised bloodbath... What purpose does it serve?
Well, for everyone to see, it's just a thing they did to make money off of it and also to give the nation a contrast. Basically, imagine if you were treated poorly by the government, then your personal quality of life improves slightly while you see this area essentially become a warzone. You'd suddenly not only be caught up with the spectacle of it, but you'd also feel glad you aren't part of it, right?

There may be more reasons though... But those are secrets for now. :P

Sunbather said:
Well, for everyone to see, it's just a thing they did to make money off of it and also to give the nation a contrast. Basically, imagine if you were treated poorly by the government, then your personal quality of life improves slightly while you see this area essentially become a warzone. You'd suddenly not only be caught up with the spectacle of it, but you'd also feel glad you aren't part of it, right?
There may be more reasons though... But those are secrets for now. :P
I would think they'd just be appalled. But, your story man.

Shireling said:
I would think they'd just be appalled. But, your story man.
You know, you were probably right, since I didn't really change much about the world itself, so... eh. I've reworked it today with the help of @Giyari (who was super dooper helpful) and @The One Eyed Bandit and I think it's looking much better now. (:

Sunbather said:
You know, you were probably right, since I didn't really change much about the world itself, so... eh. I've reworked it today with the help of @Giyari (who was super dooper helpful) and @The One Eyed Bandit and I think it's looking much better now. (:
I actually like it now. I'm assuming the primary function of the Project is to make workers labor without having to sleep, thus maximizing profits, with the homocidal maniacs being unintended consequences.

I'm glad the reception is positive! I'm a lot happier with it now than I was before myself, glad the feeling's mutual. And I'm glad there's speculation possible about the signal without it being given away (for sure at least) just yet. :)

For those who are eager to to maybe get started on working for a character, here's the sheet. You have to turn off rich text editor though, otherwise it'll blow up. :P I'm kind of a BBC nerd, so it might seem intimidating, but fret not, I'll help if it's needed. Just shoot me a PM.

Code:
[Row][Column=span4][bg=#000000][border= 1px solid #a90001][Color=#ffffff][font=Lekton]Overview:[/font][/Color][/border][/bg]
◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾◽ ◾

Name:
First Name
Middle Name (if any)
Last Name
Sex:
F / M
[img=https://www.rpnation.com/proxy.php?image=http://i.imgur.com/4gXSvMP.gif&hash=ce51834d83f086f67f0c3add4b348bbb]

Nickname/Alias:
Leave blank if none.
Place of Birth:
City, Country
Date of Birth:
DDst/nd/rd/th
of
Month
Model:
Watchers: [put symbol here] ✓ ✗
Pale Eye: [put symbol here] ✓ ✗
Hunter: [put symbol here] ✓ ✗
[/Column]

A quote, thought or statement about/by your character
[img=http://i.imgur.com/PmUpJ6b.png]

Another quote, thought or statement about/by your character

[/Row]

[img=http://i.imgur.com/hRW9V8O.png]

Appearance:
A written paragraph or two about your character's appearance.

Can include anything from specifics of hairstyle, tattoos, piercings, scars, clothing style or other things worthy to be mentioned.

Also everything you can't with your reference pictures.

Strengths:
-
-
-
-
Weaknesses:
-
-
-
-

Character Theme Song
Put title of the track here
Put name of artist here

Personality:
3 Paragraphs[
Biography:
3 Paragraphs[
[/Code]

This sounds really cool! Depending on when you'll start, i'll apply for a spot in your RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back