Prizes that would motivate you to join RPN contests

Yes, you. I'm talking to YOU.

Awhile ago, I wanted to do a writing contest with a real prize. By real prize, I mean, something you could use. The easiest thing we could aim for is money, but RPN is full of members who are not just from the United States. Also, many would think it as plainly awkward if I mailed money to them... not to mention, it would be a compromise to our privacy.

I brought this up to Dark Wizard and eventually, we settled on gift carts... but the gift card market is insanely huge. I don't think I can even imagine how many gift cards from how many retailers there really are... but this seems to be the best way to give an actual prize out to people to win this writing contest. It would also be the most accessible (but still affected by where you live, namely countries).

I'm not sure about art contests, because... that's really hard to do. I'm a writing person, so I would like to do what I'm good at.

If gift cards are the way to go, what do you think is the most reasonable place gift cards should come from? I'm looking for retailers that you see yourself buying from, whether online or going to the store yourself. The list is huge, but let's keep this realistic. It should be from a place I wouldn't need to physically go to. That'd be hard if it's not somewhere around where I live.

There are easy ones like Amazon and eBay... but would you actually use those gift cards? We could also go for something more generic, like a gift card prize from your retailer of choice, but remember— keep it realistic. If it's some place I can't actually get to or if getting gift cards from them is a problem due to country/state/whatever, then we have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are, of course, things like Visa gift cards which can be used anywhere. They cost you a little extra though. Other than that I really think sticking to Amazon and online retailers in general is a good idea. Most businesses will allow you to purchase store credit as a gift online, and send it thus.

I don't regularly use Amazon or Ebay very much, never have actually, but I can see the pros of it. Personally, a good gift card to send would be something akin to Barnes & Noble or maybe a Books-A-Million. Those always come in handy and can be nice things to have while on a reading spree.

Alas, not everyone here is a book junkie. The amount of people I've seen mention they don't read even in the Prose and Poetry section.... //shudder

That's why I think something general is better than something specific. You never know what someone is into.

Yeah, you have a point. I was just pointing out one of the cards that I, and a good amount of people on this website, would use. ^_^

General is better and easier, its just that some people don't really use online resources. Or maybe I'm weird. I can't think of physical general, maybe a Walmart gift card? They sale a pretty wide variety of things.

Money is always good, but accolades, leaving a mark, and recognition work too. Even better in some cases.

Having a Hall of Fame Section, with a commissioned picture of my choice representing who I am, would motivate me to jump head-long into things. Heck, I'd want to keep it going for 3 contests strong. A White Masquerade dynasty, sounds lovely in my head. The thrill of competition and/or the dream of having your page written down in history, is what motivated a lot of people to do great things, whether for better, or for worse.

If you're dead set on cards, then yes, I agree with Dusky. Visa. Might as well put in a little more to make sure all goes smoothly, rather than hold back and risk things not working quite as you expect. Online retailers like mentioned before are good. Visa would just be the absolute easiest thing you could do. What if someone doesn't like to buy online? They like the atmosphere or experience of going into a physical store?

Sounds odd, but it's real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I have to get Visa giftcards as a physical thing? Oh- wait, nope. Looks like they do e-gift cards. Although it looks like Visa gift cards are limited to country. For instance, it seems like Visa gift cards that I want to buy on my end are limited to usage in the United States.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Money is always good, but accolades, leaving a mark, and recognition work too. Even better in some cases.
Having a Hall of Fame Section, with a commissioned picture of my choice representing who I am, would motivate me to jump head-long into things. Heck, I'd want to keep it going for 3 contests strong. A White Masquerade dynasty, sounds lovely in my head. The thrill of competition and/or the dream of having your page written down in history, is what motivated a lot of people to do great things, whether for better, or for worse.

[/QUOTE]
Dude, hell yea. I'm the kind of guy who would rather flaunt some ribbons/medals than win $10. Don't get me wrong! Money is money, but you can't exactly brag about it. Just the fact you are the one person who has something is rewarding in itself. It's almost like getting a new toy and showing it off to your friends (except it should be seen as an accolade).

Or you could go down the Walmart route...I know for a fact they have stores in Mexico.

Ohhh, a key or a ribbon is definitely something I'd prefer to money, if we're taking suggestions in that vein. Maybe a badge.

Dusky said:
Ohhh, a key or a ribbon is definitely something I'd prefer to money, if we're taking suggestions in that vein. Maybe a badge.
I think that's gonna have to take some extra leg work on Dark Wizard's part. Or whichever admin is in charge of giving members special badges next to their profile image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back