• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primum Movens: Open! (Looking for Rebels!)

Naomi Marie ThalassaPrincess of the Marine Kingdom
merli_artisite_carnelian.png
Naomi laughed as Asuran ran his fingers through his hair to remove the chunks of banana. Yes, he would prove a good friend, it seemed. Anyone who could take that with humor was either an amazing politician, or someone with a good sense of humor. And she needed both of those things in her life right now. "It'd be hard to explain to the people back in the palace why I am covering in rotten fruit when you are not if we return together. It's only fair that we match." She quipped- there was a slight change to her speaking pattern, as though she was more relaxed than before. "Now, then- you're right, let's get this girl her candy and wash up. Then we'll buy some things for ourselves."

The original boy who they had me had been eliminated early on, and had brought the basket of fresh fruit, and had already set about distributing it with some help from the others.- the girl who had wonhad picked a plump melon, and the rest of the children had taken their pick. Surprisingly, there was still some fruit left over in the process, for Naomi to keep. An Apple and a Banana. "Half of me wants to say you planned that, ya tyke." She teased the boy. "What's your name, kid?"

"Oliver." They boy said, with a bright smile.

"Well, Oliver, you are the most helpful thing I've met on the mainland so far- I think that makes you my favorite person here.
" She handed him a gold coin from her purse, before turning to her winner.

"So, what's your name then, Miss Speedy."

"Uh.. Amy, milady."

"Nonono, no fancy talk from you- I can get people calling me 'milady' all day in the palace. I'm Naomi, go it?"
The little girl nodded. "Alright, then, Amy. How many of your friends am I taking out for sweets? Also, you gotta show me the best place to get them, so I don't take you someplace gross."

Amy gathered a group of children, which amounted to about 10 children, and began to lead the way. Naomi looked back at Asuran. "You wanna come? My treat!" Not like the Viscount of Dorimun needed to be treated to candy.

Addressed: @ParadoxalPaladin

The sun had been breaking through the curtains of Kip’s room earlier each day, but it wasn’t the light that woke him this morning. His night was spent up and down in worry of the days ahead.

His chamber, a room passed down from those in his family who served the royal court of Euthalia before him, was small but ornate, and designed for his small stature- a testament to the many years of dedicated service given to the castle by himself and his family. At times like this, Kip questioned whether he deserved it at all. Living up to the Stallon name had never been an easy task. Of course, nobody in the family was perfect, but any minor slip ups suffered in the past were always ones that could always be swept under the rug. That said, loyalty had always been the most prized trait the Stallons have shown towards their duty. Never before had any member of the family been accused of treason or unfaithful behavior. None had ever given a reason for them to be. It was taught that even in the darkest of moments, the safety and reputation of the royal family was to be put before one’s own life, and so it was for many, many years.

Kip had always been a perfect model of this standard. ‘One of the best they’d ever had’, professed his family, and even the king had always been pleased with his service. Even Princess Evalyn, with all her fussiness and rebelliousness, respected Kip and saw him as a loving caretaker (or so Kip hopes), and he had always cared for her as if she were his own child. (Perhaps why he had never seen to having children of his own- his job had always been all the fulfillment he needed.) He wanted not only for others to see her grow into a respectable young woman, but for her to feel happy herself. And it was in this one moment of weakness, this one slip to slip them all, it could end. His family name tarnished, the royal family shamed, the Euthalian government discredited, and he’d never work again- all for not only letting a stranger into the court and leaving the princess in danger far away, but for allowing her to pose as the princess herself- to allow someone unfamiliar to make decisions in her stead- unthinkable.

Or, perhaps it wouldn’t be as bad. Maybe, if it did get out, others would understand the princess’ wishes, or maybe the secret wouldn’t spread beyond a forgiving circle. Maybe nobody would ever find out at all. At least this new girl seemed level-headed and good hearted, and the king seems to trust him enough to believe whatever falsehoods that will get them though. (Lying to his respectable King- something else to make his stomach churn.) Perhaps fate will be continue to be merciful. Perhaps this was where fate’s mercy ended. Only thing to do now is to press on.

His mind continued to run these thoughts around and around through the night, and didn’t stop as he finally rose, washed and dressed for the morning. After putting on his glasses upside down in his sleep-depriven daze, he managed to float to the servants’ kitchens, driven by habit. He got a few odd looks through his breakfast routine as he missed the bowl entirely when attempting to pour hot water in his oats, and only noticed when he heard the water start to drip from the counter to the floor. Nevertheless, he managed to pull his shoddy breakfast together, and a full stomach helped settle his mind and focus on the day ahead. On his way out, he stopped by one of the other servants to ask if Balthazar had gone to awaken King Regis, to which the reply was yes, and that his highness had gone directly to the princess’ room after preparing for the day.

“Poor thing, nervous on her first night.”

“She should have been prepared better, if you ask me. She always makes such a fuss about attending events, no wonder she’s got cold feet. She should have been pushed more.”

“Nonsense. Her Highness was plenty prepared. She just hasn’t got it, you know? I don’t know how she’ll hold out taking the throne one day.”

“I think the girl’s got plenty of charm, if only she’d apply herself. Perhaps it would be wise not to speak of Her Highness as such...”

Kip left the servants’ worry in their quarters as he reached the princess’ bedroom.

“Princess?” Kip pushed down on the handle with both paws and opened the door just enough to peek in, “Thank goodness the King’s worry seems to be quelled, I trust your accommodations have been satisfactory so far? If you are feeling presentable, I’d like to show you to the main hall, to prove to the others you’re alright as well.”

@Olissa

EVALYN 'EVA' JONES

Someday... Someday I'll have my adventure in a far away land ~ Eva

full

PREVIOUS EVENING

It had taken a moment for Eva to find her bearings after having landed so ungracefully on the softness of what felt like a carpet. Being a dancer one would have at least thought that she would have been able to hold her balance. Then again, how could anyone have expected of her to know how to travel through a magical portal.

Magic.

It was the only way to describe, well, everything that happened so far. A portal, a totally different world, flying squirrels. Actually, no, flying squirrels existed back home as well, they just didn't hover in one place.

Or talk.

Or wear glasses.

And there definitely wasn't anything back home that was called an ary... aery... arie? Something like that.

She had however met a guy once named Arie. But that didn't count.

As she scrambled to her feet Kip had opened the door and was talking to someone. A twinge of fear went through her. Did she have to go and meet someone already? Now?

Oh by everything she believed in, she shouldn't have agreed to this. Not this rashly. Not ever perhaps.

The portal. Could she-

As she turned around to where she had just come from, she saw how there was nothing there, other than the contents of an armoire.

The door closed and Eva heaved an all too relieved sigh. For the rest of the evening it was just her and Kip, tutor and personal attendant to the Princess of Euthalia. In this, albeit brief, time the attendant had explained many things that the girl would need to know. How to walk, how to talk, how to address people, both high and low born. That she should pause before replying, but never let it draw out too long. Remain charming and pleasant, but never too attached. How to introduce herself, what her full name was, and the names and ways to address or mention her parents. Which utensil to use, which cup to drink from, how to politely refuse or accept anything that is offered.

The list went on and on, and in no time the redhead's head was spinning with information. Everything from how she herself had to behave, to basic information of what arie were, the presence of witches. (Seriously? Witches! As if this didn't already look and feel like a fairytale.) All of it was too much to take in and remember. As such she had asked him if he could write it all down for her, so she could always check and be certain of her ways. (As if being certain of what she was supposed to do would ever happen... But that was beside the point. Fake it till you make it.)

At long last Kip left the room so she could sleep.

The large amount of information had definitely made her sleepy. (She had yawned multiple times during Kip's excellent list of instructions.)

Now that she was alone, Eva could take a good look around the room she was in. She could scarcely believe it. Slowly it was all sinking in. She, a normal girl, had traded places with a Princess that looked exactly like her. It reminded her of the Prince and the Pauper story.

Or better yet, Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper.

In an instant the song '

' popped in her head and she chuckled.
It was then that her eyes were drawn to the HUGE bed. Now that just called to be jumped on.

With a short sprint and strong jump from well trained leg muscles Eva sent herself flying onto the soft, but firm bedding, and instantly was pole vaulted straight over the other side with a surprised yelp.

"I'm okay, I'm good." Eva stated as she quickly recovered from her second ungraceful landing.

Luckily no one entered.

Deciding it was truly time to now go to sleep Eva exchanged her normal wear for the most elegant and delicate night gown she had ever lay eyes on. Taking position on the side of the bed with the best view on the door, she had to wait a long time till sleep came to her, her mind racing at an immense pace with no inclination of slowing down any time soon.

MORNING

The morning sun had come bright and early.

Perhaps too early as far as Eva was concerned.

She had fallen asleep eventually, but there had not been many hours left. Groggily the fake princess had rolled out of bed, this time catching herself on her feet, and shuffled her way to the mirror.

The reflection wasn't as bad as she had feared. Her eyes showed the mild signs of not having had enough sleep, but it was nothing a little make-up couldn't hide. At least she didn't have any bags.

As her eyes peered into the mirror they caught sight of a hair brush on the table by the mirror.

Carefully, almost afraid she would break it, Eva lifted the brush off the surface. It too was delicately ornamented.

Fine filigree adorning the handle.

The brush hairs were soft, softer than the brush she used at home.

Definitely something she imagined a fairytale princess to have.

It wouldn't be as effective to take out tangles, mostly just gliding over the hairs to straighten out and gloss that what already was loose. Then again, Princesses probably had all the time they wanted and needed to spend on their hair in the morning. Or maybe they used magic. No wait, humans couldn't use magic. Just witches and arie.

Figuring she needed to start somewhere, Eva brushed her hair through. It took her less time than she had thought it would take. Maybe the brush wasn't as soft as she had thought, or maybe it was enchanted, or maybe the silk bedding had prevented too many tangles to appear in her hair. All three were equally viable options in this realm.

By the time she was done, and had begun to look for something to cover up the mildly darkened color below her eyes, a knock came to the room. It was the King.

Nerves overcame her again. Now it wasn't just anybody at the door, it was the Princess', no right now it was 'her' father.

She quickly threw a robe over her shoulders to cover herself as she held the door ajar.

Their exchange was brief, but for some manner of grace and luck, Eva managed to pull it off. At least, that was her opinion. She followed the script that Kip had given her, stating she went to her room, stayed there the entire time, and then rested till morning.

Yes, she was feeling well now, yes, she was going to pick up her tasks again, yes, she would make sure this never happened again.

After closing the door, Eva held her breath, waiting till the footsteps faded or any other possible sign of alarm. The footsteps faded, and the girl let out all the pent up air. This was going to be a more difficult task than she had imagined.

Needing a moment to calm down, Eva went to the windows, opening the curtains as far as they could go, and threw the windows open. The fresh air did her plenty good. Time for some morning exercises.

Kip entered while she was seated on the floor, legs stretched out straight in front of her, and her body folded over them.

"Ah, morning." It was interesting how at ease she felt talking to that little being. Maybe because it wasn't a human. Or because he was the only one that knew who she really was.

"Everything so far has been marvelous." Except when she managed to throw herself off the other end of the bed.

"I... spoke to the King. Told him what you told me to say, and I think he believed it." The fact that he seemed to have believed it had given the red head some minor feeling of hope. A hope that she could pull this off and actually be able to hold a conversation with these people.

"So yeah, as much as I'd rather hide out here, I'll... wait."

She got up and stood in the poised manner that had been taught to her, plastering a soft but controlled smile on her lips and kept her gaze on Kip.

"I would gladly accompany you to the main hall. It would be rude of me, as the host, to..." She trailed off, eyes glancing to the left as her mind raced. This was more difficult than she thought it would be. "Remain absent for too long?" She tried to finish. The puzzled look on her face spoke plenty of the struggle she had when finding the right words.

"Though," lifting one of the sides of the morning robe, "I should probably get dressed into something more 'normal'. Could you maybe help me with picking something appropriate?"

Mentioned:

@Pretzel Heart (King) Addressed: @wizard nibblers (Kip)

Last edited by a moderator:

A good start to the day, then. What’s more, Evelyn seemed to possess a refreshing sense of responsibility. Being up at an appropriate hour, pleasant and ready to start the day? Uncommon. Unheard of. In Kip’s career, it was a rarity. And how wonderful it was.

“Of course,” Kip replied, and floated over to the armoire where the two had come through the night before. Now devoid of magic and in significantly less disarray than the real princess had left them, the wardrobe’s contents had returned to normal- or as normal as the contents of any royal wardrobe could be. The dresses inside were lavish and beautiful, made of fine silk and cotton and adorned with all manner of delicate lace and shiny baubles. Some were more lavish than others, and were suited for different occasions. The finest dresses, reserved for important and significant events were mostly put away to ensure the proper preservation (or sent off to be cleaned), but those inside were suitable for various everyday occasions. The simplest garments were on the right side of the wardrobe, and were for playing around, mostly, made to satisfy the princess’ rebellious whims or for easier movement during dance practice. For today, a more ornate dress from the everyday selection may be appropriate to greet the guests that had arrived after the princess’ departure (or the guests that had failed to show up yet) but still simple enough to be comfortable and modest. Kip gestured to the other side of the wardrobe, “Most of the dresses on the left should be fitting to present yourself in today. If you’d like, the princess also keeps various hair ornaments and jewelry in the vanity drawer. If I were you, however, I’d stay away from the enchanted accessories in the chest over there, a wrong move could put you in a different outfit entirely, and might be unfitting for activities outside of dancing. But you may want to pareuse them if you have a free moment.”

Nelly Lin

superthumb.jpg

Through the transient shimmering blue that traveled across the cave walls lay nothing but darkness and cold, dripping rock. The incisions made in the stone were barely discernible as she peered through narrowed eyes, her neck facing upward. Seeing that such scratches that were made in such a bizarre place, she figured they were far too high up for an ordinary human being to reach.

There was no possible explanation that could begin to make sense to her muddled mind. The girl found that Helbrecht had brought herself to wonder plenty about the reality of things. It was too much surprises and scares to handle in one day and too much wondering. It made her brain ache and her brow furrow, more than it had ever furrowed in a day.

Even with her magic she would never have been able to scale the wall without becoming completely and utterly drained from the exertion. But still, a witch cannot withstand the laws of gravity. If it were to be Nelly would not envy birds and their beautiful wings so.

She reckoned that she much preferred the swimming route.

Childlike, were the movements of the armored man. Clicking her tongue against her teeth, the lady bites her tongue against his violent reaction. She does not flinch for she had been expecting such that was his frenzied grappling with the wild, blue water. He resembled a soaked cat and out poured a cheery chortle from her mouth. An unhappy lion more like.

The sunlit chamber echoes and distantly there chimes the sound of crashing waves. Nelly offers the knight an apologetic smile at the sudden laughter. She coughs
"Right..I know it's uncomfortable for you but you'll get the hang of it. Remember to pull when the waves push and when they swish back kick your legs," With long fingers splayed on her hip, her eyes stalk his maneuvers, spotting the faults and pressing encouragingly along the way.

"..Such is the law of the ocean, to swim is to partake in a dance with the tides--" The wolf-girl remarks, accompanied by a smile that spreads across her lips once again, "'Sounds awfully poetic doesn't it,"

She smirks
"Perhaps I have untapped potential." Nelly leans forward to adjust an elbow there and then a leg, a few strong kicks are followed by enthusiastic 'That's right's!!' and the occasional delighted clap. She reclines back against a moderately dry part of the cave wall, pride unfurls in her chest like fragrant blooms in summer, the witch was enjoying herself and enjoying the feeling of aiding a person. It was a shame that too many would turn down an offer from a those of her race.

"Helbrecht," There's a pause in which she waits for him to stop swimming before delivering her blunt statement, "..Many people must fear you but you don't seem to fear many people." There's an unspoken question that lingered there, she wanted to be like him. Fearless. Or at least appear as such..

[Addressed:
@Unwavering Knight]

EVALYN 'EVA' JONES

Someday... Someday I'll have my adventure in a far away land ~ Eva

full

Kip moved over to the big Narnia-esque wardrobe and pointed out which dresses would be appropriate to wear at this moment.

They were gorgeous.

So delicate, so detailed. All of these super fancy dresses were just hanging there and she could pick out any one of them? Her eyes had grown big as saucers.

"You can't be serious." The replacement stated as she stepped towards the closet. All the proper pose and elegance that she had attempted a moment ago were now gone with the wind that gently entered the room through the open window.

"All of this? But they're so fancy." Her hand reached out to touch the fabrics, but stopped merely an inch before she made contact. Folding up her hand, pulling it back toward her, Eva turned to look at Kip.

"Are you sure there isn't something less... lavish that I could wear?" The other half of the wardrobe seemed to appear a little more normal and plain. Even though all of those dresses were still many times more fancy than she had ever worn, it at least felt a little less outlandish. (Just wait till she saw the really exclusive dresses.)

Seeing how Kip had positioned himself to make it absolutely clear that the right half of the wardrobe was not part of the current selection, Eva figured there probably wouldn't be much room for negotiation. It was perhaps a good thing she had no idea how fussy or rebellious the real Princess could be, nor how lenient or strict Kip would be in return, or she would have possibly attempted the same routine.

Of course, as if choosing from all these dresses wasn't enough, there was also the jewelry and hair accessories. Kip had mentioned that the ones in the 'vanity drawer' were alright, but what the heck was a vanity? She looked around in the room till her eyes rested on the table and mirror she had peered into before. Right, that often was called a vanity mirror or table. Thank goodness she didn't ask or she might have looked really stupid.

Even though she had managed to contain her initial surprise, the thought of 'enchanted jewelry' kept ringing through her head. With every twist and turn this became more and more like a fairy tale. Witches, talking 'animals', enchanted jewelry, magic, princes and princesses, a huge castle, and a ball for which everyone was gathered. As long as she didn't lose her shoe, eat an apple offered by an old lady, or prick her finger on a spinning wheel, she figured it couldn't be too much like a story book.

Looking back at the closet before her Eva carefully looked at each of the dresses. The arrangement of colors was quite extensive, but all befitting the color hair she, or actually the real princess, has. Bright red hair wasn't the easiest to properly combine colors with. It could either look perfect, or clash horribly. Oh the times that she stood in a store, finally motivated to buy something new, only to find that no available color suited her.

Before she had found a dress her mind had already settled on wearing blue. A darker blue. From her experience and observation of photo's of members of various royal families, a rich dark blue often appeared quite regal. She herself may not be royalty, but she could darn well look the part.

With that on the forefront of her mind, her eyes caught sight of what initially seemed like a basic enough dress. Dark blue, long, not too shiny aside from the silk 'belt' at the waist and the neckline.

That was, till she pulled it out and noticed the delicate gems shimmering on the top and left side of the skirt. Ah... too fancy? She was tempted to hang it back in place, but it just looked so gorgeous. She kind of wanted to wear it, even if it was for a moment.

The struggle of what to do, or what not to do was clear on her face as it twisted and turned with each thought that came up and replaced the previous one.

"Oh what the heck." She gave up trying to reason with herself and took the dress to the bed, placing it down carefully.

Next were the jewelry, hair accessories, and shoes.

Shoes...

She turned to Kip. "I hope she doesn't have a thousand pair of shoes, because then it will take forever to find something." She chuckled nervously. Maybe he would know what shoes the Princess wore generally speaking with this gown. And here was to hoping they had the same size shoes. Dancing classical ballet changed the feet of a person in very specific ways. The price of placing all your weight on the tips of one's toes.

EvaGown01.png
Inside the drawer of the vanity table everything was neatly arranged. Someone seriously spent a lot of time making sure everything fit in a perfect spot without a single gem out of place.

Looking it over Eva eventually settled on a pearl necklace, accompanied by a pair of matching earrings.

For her hair it felt like pearls would be a bit too much. Instead her eyes rested upon the floral arrangement in the chamber. Being a florist (parttimer) she had to admire the sheer beauty and complexity of the arrangement. Walking over there she took two of the orange, lined with red, roses down by the side. These would do nicely. And make her feel a bit more relaxed with something she knew.

The night before she had already spotted a screen behind which the girl could change, so she took the dress and the accessories with her behind the screen and changed outfits.

"You know, I just thought of something. I work in a flower shop and with water all day, so my hands aren't exactly as smooth and soft as that of a princess. It probably would be weird if the Princess suddenly had the hands of a working class person, so maybe for the time being a pair of gloves might conceal it till they're more 'princess like'? Something like short white gloves or so, if she has any of those." Eva asked from behind the screen just barely above the sound of rustling fabric.

It didn't take long before she reappeared, now looking like a true respectable lady. The gems on the gown shimmered in the sunlight as the roses in her hair covered the pins she had put in place to keep her hair up.

"How do I look?" Eva asked the Princess' Personal Assistant as she strode across the room.

Dress image modified by Olissa:

Original image. Mentioned: N/A Addressed: @wizard nibblers (Kip)

No bravery without madness.

The knight's attempts at mimicking Lin's motions proved ever more jarring, his formerly rigid and exact movements turning into twitching, excessive spasms that cast about large swathes of water in the humid cave. A humorous sight, it looked more like he was fighting an enemy than attempting locomotion in the medium. Prying eyes would have easily spotted unease in his movements, not just from the change of elements, but also something less tenable.

Nonetheless, under the witch's tutoring, the knight's motions slowly lost some of their edge, becoming slower, more secure. A start, though the way seemed a long one.

As Nelly asked her question, Helbrecht heaved his armored frame from the water, halting on all fours upon the rough stone-ground like a cat ready to pounce "Fear..." he spoke the word, slowly, as if attempting to decipher it "... the instinct demanding self-preservation." Slowly, the knight's iron-gaze turned to Lin "The Lady decreed, a knight am I, thus I have no fear."

"Or at least, that would be the... convenient answer. Simple, efficient... suitable." He added, the last trio of words lessening to a more quiet tone "Fear is what compels prey to remain distant from danger. Fear is what drives the hunter to only seek out the weak and the frail for sustenance." The helmeted head tilted slightly to the side "Fear is an elementary thing, is it not? Something important, something... essential."

With a twisted sound of grinding metal, one of the knight's claws let go of the floor to push itself between the knight's view upon Lin "Truthfully, I can not tell. If I feel fear, I do not know." Aimlessly, he looked at his outstretched hand, starry, rigid "What is there to fear? Do others see something I do not? Do I see something others do not?"

As if suddenly growing weak, Helbrecht's hand lost all rigidity, falling to the ground again with a dim shriek, his gaze again on the witch "For long, I was uncertain. But for myself, I have come to a conclusion." His form straightened, the knight stood up, his voice gaining new volume "It is not the responsibility of knights errant to discover whether the afflicted, the enchained and the oppressed whom they encounter on the road are reduced to these circumstances and suffer this distress for their vices, or for their virtues: the knight's sole responsibility is to succour them as people in need, having eyes only for their sufferings, not for their misdeeds."

"Tell me, Lady Lin, what does fear taste like?"

@Lady Ravenshade

Nelly Lin

superthumb.jpg

Were it a familiar face blessed with familiar eyes perhaps her answer would have been unalike to the one she extended to him then. To the girl, he was a knight. And that was that. The rigidness of his gait, the notions of a face behind the helmet, his voice so unfeeling. All reasons to dread the man.

Yet, she could not. Because there was nothing to perceive besides his spoken words and calculated actions and it did not take much for the witch to become drawn by such she could not figure out. There was something about the obscurity of the gargantuan man which evoked curiosity from within her.

It is a sort of bliss, to be able to feel afraid. To be able to feel anything. Perhaps Helbrecht felt nothing, it seemed.

It's not so much the remark of not feeling fear that unsettles the girl, it's the certainty in his words.

Her head falls back to rest against stone, smoothing a hand over her dark tresses.
There came a yearning to simply forget about the feeling. For it to become nothing but a stranger to her. "Fear comes in millions of forms." She pauses, hands hovering by her side as her mind turns. "-everyone perceives it in a way that is particular to them. I cannot describe how fear would feel to you."

Lips press together as Nelly contemplates.
"But for myself." She echoes. "..For myself, they are strong, bitter roots that reach deeper and deeper, roots that make me who I am and no matter how much I attempt to be rid of them they refuse to go away."

In that moment, Helbrecht's words rang mostly true: Fear is a force, it's a creature that lures, an escape. Fear is all entirely malleable to one's will-- considering the beings that are incorporated into it, whether it be something tangible or not. That truth was enough to steady her, to hear the growing chord of conviction in his voice. And it was answer enough, for now.

"Still, know. Branches without roots are easily sundered by storm or assault, shattered--" Her fingers gesticulate as she lays out her metaphor-twined description. "--and swept away."

Silence swallows.

"...Despite my thoughts, I must praise your abilities to see persons the way you do. It is a capability few possess."
For as much as Nelly might feel that her generosity is entirely obvious to many, more often than not, her hale flesh and mind work in tandem, tense and ready to deflect any ugly glares and tainted words back at them. Raring to lash out and defend her own.

Pulling her thoughts away, the witch gingerly plucks a particularly razor looking scalpel from it's resting place, all aligned in neat rows. She turns it with extra care, eyes dragging as the light flashes off the blade with each twist of her wrist.

The girl handles the scalpel with as much skill as a newborn which would most likely make a person compelled to snatch it from her hands.

There's little left of the wolf-girl that isn't curious about how the ritual of Helbrecht's was executed. Nelly eyes the knife for a moment, trying to gauge the size and danger of what was gradually twisting her stomach in knots, with a questioning look in her eye and her lips already open to pour some sort of challenge into their exchange.
"Ah..would you care to display how this ritual of yours is performed?" The query is slightly too rushed and quickly enough it's clear to Nelly that it was a rather daring line to cross. Maybe the knight would choose to uncomfortably ignore it. Maybe that would be better.

Nelly clears her throat.
. "Rather..I'd thought you might be happy with the opportunity to show off your..instruments."

The pair sink further into the silence..

Daring a bit of jest in their break in conversation. The witch says.
"If I ever happen to be in need of a murder weapon, I'd know just the place. Here's perfect to discard a corpse don't you think?" Her eyes leave the tool to sweep across the cavernous ceiling, clinging with moss and then toward the center of the cave, a protruding field of grey stone. The wolf-girl' sudden, brassy bright laughter vaults through the room, reflected by carved iridescent walls.

You wouldn't tell a soul, yeah?"

[Addressed:
@Unwavering Knight]

Paint the lines, cut the flesh, repeat...

Helbrecht's unseen visage remained fixed on the witch, his silence evident of his careful listening. A tendency for waxing poetry did not go unheard. As the query came for the details of his Ritual, the knight shifted, slowly standing up onto his plated boots "In essence: Disregard armament, acquire utensils." he gave a slight tilt to the scalpel being handled by the witch "Behold the flesh, the feeling of filth, the Darkening, intensifies. Close eyes, dance, embrace eternity. Search along the veins, cut deep, cut quick, cut precise. Shift deep, search, search, always search."

A twitch of the armored neck "Pain is weakness, leaving the body. Its finite nature makes its loss wishable, the process desirable." Rigidly one of the claw-like fingers extended to point at the knife the witch was inspecting so closely "But... the process weakens, opens a window of vulnerability. A knight may not be weak, thus a knight may not be seen, the Lady decreed." For a moment, the knight's form suddenly wavered, arms hanging slack off the torso while the helmeted head stared aimlessly up the ceiling, before the entire armored frame rightened itself to announce with a steady voice "This is no place to dispose of the carcasses of slain foes. It is a place to recuperate, replenish oneself. I ask you to leave, that I might conduct the Ritual in solitude."

A pause, then the knight lowered his gaze "Or at least, I would, but..." his steady voice trailed off for another moment, replaced with a musing waver "I am curious, Lady Lin. As I have experienced thus far, most would have preferred to remain with figures such as Prince Hayato, or Lady Thalassa, with whom you have already struck a friendly disposition. Would you not have preferred their company to mine?"

The helmeted head gave a nod to the far wall of the small cove, from whence the dim sounds of unwitting partakers of the beach's carefreeness intoned "Out there, would you not prefer that world, to this?" One claw gestured around the cove, forlorn torches flickering their last embers to paint the natural cave into slow shadows, the few rays of the sun serving to shine off the surgical blades.

@Lady Ravenshade

Nelly Lin

superthumb.jpg

It was nearing the time in which the tides began to rise, the sun had hidden itself behind rolling rush of white and streaks of cotton candy pink. Stirring and curling into a dragon, an off-kilter spoon digging into a bowl of honey curd. The sun, a spotlight of golden glow. Nelly wondered if they had already skipped lunch. With a half mind and a pair of eyes on the knight's words and the other half meandering on trivial topics such as meals and how many hours it was which she had last consumed food.

As treading water and splashing arms does make a person very hungry.

Nelly keeps her brow from furrowing at some of the words that Hebrecht mentioned. Instead the girl settles her gaze on the beach-goers trickling away from the sunless sand, absent from warmth. In order to keep her mind off of food and the phrases screeching from grating metal. Her lips turn ever so slightly upward in thanks, when direction is given from Helbrecht on handling the blade. Once he stops, she corrects him.

"Not filth..you ought not to think of what lays behind your armor as such.."
her bitter coffee gaze now bores into his helmet, almost menacing, as if she was certain of what lay beyond. "I might never know what the reason is that makes you think so but I doubt it is as awful as you claim,"

Strangely, Nelly felt the same as before he had spoken about his ritual. Peculiar as it was, she was in no position to disagree with what he did. Only, she felt that health was being put at stake here. More mental than physical.
"But mustn't pain be felt first before one can truly feel--" Bare feet roll a stone underfoot as her jaw works in thought.

She was wording it wrong, had Nelly gone any further it would have been a very curt thing to say.
"-Without pain how is it does a person recognize the opposite. Otherwise they would be leading an incredibly miserable life." Windless was the cave now, and so still lay the air. "Weakness cannot be hidden, only felt." The witch's words are laced with condemnation. The tone not entirely obvious to the listener. Hiding was a flaw in itself.

"Hmph." Pale fingers muss through her dark locks. "I say, sometimes human behavior ties my mind in knots and I shall have to go a sleepless night unraveling the knot." the wolf-girl mutters indignantly before her features droop obviously, and her lips form a moue as the knight insists she leave. Her mouth opens to protest childishly but...nothing.

They had been in the cave for ages now, come to think, Nelly would prefer away from the dark cold for the meantime.
"I think I shall head back to the beach for now. I miss the sand." it's an invitation for the two to go together but she thinks the armored giant would prefer staying. "I'd rather be with one who has journeyed and seen wonders. Than a rich royal who is much more accustomed to having servants swarming them and marble palace walls...I expect you've been across the sea.Would you care to entertain me with your tales?" Water sparkles with sun beams that filter in as the clouds float away to reveal what they had once hidden. They sparkle just like her eyes at the notion of being on the other side of the vast blue.

"I'd like to think I have both feet in two worlds. It makes things all the more fascinating!"

[Addressed:
@Unwavering Knight]

Golden Curse...

The day was nearing its end. The sun crept ever closer to the horizon, giving a red tinge to the sparse natural light entering the cove.

"The feeling of filth... has been growing, for some time. I know not what it is, I know not its source. I search within, I search and I search, but I find nothing. Studying the behaviour of humans is not just a luxury, Lady Lin, it is a measure of survival, one many would do well to internalise."

Yet again, a moment of silence, the knight's outstretched claws falling limp to his sides. Then, flatly "I have come to the conclusion that I dislike water." He looked over at Lin, standing up "I wish to leave this place. Let us initiate a tactical advance in the opposite direction, also known as 'retreat', Witch Lin." The fact that his armor gave some ugly shrieks with clear water still escaping from the edges didn't seem to busy him even in the slightest.

As witch and knight maneuvered their way through the water to the outside, the latter gave the former's request thought "As for tales... I fought beneath the sea only once, long ago. It was there that I battled the Golden Captain. A second encounter against the Sea Snake of Isanis was fought upon a sand bank after several measures of preparation, many years after."

They emerged from the cave, the knight putting the witch's instructions to use, creeping forward in the water on all fours, though he seemed strangely resistant to using proper technique, preferring to paddle instead. The emerging duo drew the gazes of the few visitors still remaining on the beach, most of them being pairings that had decided to stay for the clear sunset that made for a romantic end of the day befitting their prior celebrations.

Helbrecht didn't spare a glance for the sun, his unseen view remaining affixed on Lin "Though the former might be somewhat... disturbing." a strange twitch ran through his armored neck, slightly stranger, more pronounced, than previous ones "Regardless, which tale would you prefer?"

@Lady Ravenshade

Nelly Lin

superthumb.jpg

Cheeks flush at the sorrow that envelopes the girl, the despair which she feels for her armored companion. Rarely does she spare such emotions for others, particularly that which was none of her business. How shameful. To live like that must be like going round in circles and oh how the witch loathed sameness.

Although her naked feet were weary, Nelly paid no heed as the odd pair consisting of strange knight and wolf-girl arrived drenched to shore. Soothed by the sinking grains underfoot, the girl keeps her shoes off. Letting the foam spray against her skin and the ruby evening glow dry her garments. Seldom does the witch notice the healthy scent of spring as it whirls around bustling festival-goers. But now as she wanders the sand scattered land, it captures her attention, spills into her lungs. As absence from such freshness makes one notice the sweet cleansing smell of something that is not flowers or grass but rather, something that rushes in with the spring. It lifts her tired spirits.

Even if Helbrecht had not requested her opinion and although she was outwardly downhearted from his abrupt decision of disliking water. It wouldn't hurt to give him a small push in a different direction. She turns behind her shoulder in a wind blown mess of hair and squinting eyes, to shout over the gathering crash and billow of waves against the rocks.
"Though you might not enjoy the water, I hope you'll consider swimming again in the future. If it's any help, I'm happy with your progress," Ducking her head a little, Nelly's tone of voice turns cheeky. "I'd say, it's going swimmingly well." she squeaks as her face splits into a grin.

The youth doesn't bother being quiet about it as a bright peal of laughter barks from her lips, loud and quick (likely drawing more strange looks their way). With a look of remorse, the girl steers farther from lovers whom she'd interrupted a moment between.

Whilst Helbrecht watches, she’s plopped down unceremoniously next to her boots, and is working them laboriously back onto her feet. He might catch her grumbling something about ‘stupid boots’ or ‘stupid fat feet.’ She does glance over at his sabatons as her heel finally pops into the foot of her worn footwear, her expression of concentration deepening into something mingled with mild interest at the sight of the steel and how heavy it looked.

Now, enough childishness, she thinks.

With a sweeping gaze that drifts from his glinting claws and then steely visor. Nelly struggles back to her feet and wonders whether the the knight was shuddering at the revival of past thoughts or if it was simply an odd habit of his. Either way the witch did not give it another thought. Satisfied that he was keeping her entertained with his stories. The girl glances up at him and tickles behind her furry ear.
"We-ll, the one about the Golden Captain sounds thrilling but I'd much like for something less likely to give me nightmares," Then with a distracted look crossing her face, she gazes at the amber line of light on the horizon. "-with the sea resembling a pool of sunlight, one ought not to speak of such gore." There's a heartbeat of silence and then a nod as she decides. "The latter will do."

[Addressed: @Unwavering Knight]

A Knight's Tale: The Sea Snake of Isanis

The beast had grown to a size unnatural for its kind, dwarfing even battle-ready vessels while easily preying on the smaller ones with an aggression more set on terror than to sate hunger. He was a knight. He existed to fight what frightened.

Taking several days to study the beast's hunting grounds and more to find suitable subjects for dissection, Helbrecht soon boarded a ship whose route would take it close to his intended site of battle. Though in water he was out of his element, that merely meant that he would need to skew the terrain as far to his advantage as possible within the circumstances.

The sea farers of these parts had learned long ago how to deal with Sea Snakes that appeared to threaten them: Take course directly towards the beasts as they reared out of the water, a show of force to deter aggression and send them slithering away.

But when this particular beasts towered out of the water, gaze starry and blind, the wish to charge at it was gone from the minds of the sailors.

f10dd7b3b13a0a21ce952a87201c8ce9.jpg

Many traces, scars of prior attempts to slay it littered the creature's fanged skull, the jutting shafts of harpoons, hooks and lines visible, one eye grey and sightless, the other leering down upon the ship with predatory intent.

"Bring me close and it will die." Such was the entirety of Helbrecht's statement as he stood out from the shouts of the crew, all directed at the captain who quickly appeared to lose nerve.

But the man, a veteran of these parts knew, if they tried to escape they would be caught. And for the first time since this gray figure boarded their vessel, confidence was derived from his rigid sight. So it was that the crew was stilled, galvanized into action as chittering hands grasped the rudders and set the sails directly towards the beast, the knight at the bow.

The beast remained silent, simply staring down at the prey that sought to use a trick it had outgrown long ago. Winding its foul body around the ship, the monster ate into the wood, seeking to strangle the foe, sink it beneath the waves. But the knight had chosen the route for a reason. Taking control of the helm, Helbrecht aimed the wounded vessel towards the nearby sandbank, calling onto the sailors to row for dear life, wood creaking and breaking around them.

With the ship running aground in the shallow water, the monster finally gave an ear-shattering roar, frantically shaking about its body to free itself from the vessel that was now serving to trap it. The surprised roar turned into an angry shriek as the ship's anchor was set lose, heavy metal crashing into a portion of its body, the ship's wood splintering as its entire body tensed.

Seeing their chance, the sailors let loose with all weaponry they had at their disposal, harpoons, polearms, axes even cutlery and plates and beams thrown with desperate abandon at the monster winding around the vessel. Amongst them, Helbrecht remained to the side, silent and still.

Rearing its head back, the creature quickly slammed its fully-fanged maw into a throng of sailors, directly piercing the main deck in a shower of water, wood and gore. Seeing his chance, the knight sped forward just as the monster drew its skull back, leaping through the air for one claw to rip into its blind eye-socket for a brutal grip, while the other rammed a hatchet into the scales just above the nose.

With a renewed roar, the monster shook in pain and hate as it tried to throw the invader off, the knight clinging to the beast in the most brutal fashion, claw and hatched digging deep into scaly flesh for hold.

Finally the hatchet ripped itself loose, the knight cast into the air with the shocked gasps of the sailors who saw the armored frame about to fall. With a rattle and a clang, Helbrecht launched a chained hook, the vicious iron aimed true to land into the beast's maw, pulling the slayer back to his quarrel.

Balanced precariousely on the very edge of the creature's bite, the knight drove the hook deep through the flesh with blinding speed, attaching it onto his aim. The snake's teeth snapped shut, lower jaw catapulting the armored frame directly into the upper teeth, reinforced ivory crushing armor and grinding meat as they pierced the chestplate, only for the movement to be violently halted by the knight's claw, fulfilling the seemingly impossible task of stemming the monster's bite with brutal force...

"... I proceeded to use the hook to level out the monster's jaw joint, which released the pressure on my chest." Helbrecht finished abruptly, one hand absentmindedly gesturing over the traces of symmetrical penetrations left over his broad chestplate "My prior investigations into the species' biology uncovered a weakness in the actual jaw-force. Their maws are made for swallowing, not ripping prey to pieces."

"Afterwards, it was a simple measure of crushing its teeth to free myself. Wounded and pinned as it was, it eventually succumbed to bloodloss." With a metallic clink, the knight's shoulders raised themselves for a moment, simulating a non-commital shrug.

@Lady Ravenshade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back