• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Prey

Cassandra

Coffee addict and book enthusiast
tumblr_m81w2l6BAC1qhtyv0o1_500.png

"I meant it, Sam. I'm serious"

"I know".

"So?

"So what?" Zara Sampaio rested her chin in her hands, her elbows propped on the table. She scanned the surroundings thoroughly. There was nothing particularly new, nothing anymore exciting than last year. She allowed herself to gaze at the Gryffindor table where Potter was making a pig of himself. Potter, her sworn enemy. Or, perhaps it was not as dramatic as she would have liked it to be.

"Are you even listening to me?" Her friend hissed. Was she even listening? No, not particularly. Ana always went on about how it wasn't fair that Hufflepuffs were dubbed lame. They were the most common bully victims, and for what? Just because they valued kindness over other less desirable qualities. As much as Zara loved Anaiah, she was sick of hearing about it.

"Yeah. I am," she replied curtly. Her eyes trailing back to the Gryffindor table. James had grown a lot of the summer, at least a few inches. His unkempt dark hair was as long as ever, his skin held a healthy glow. Sure, he was an obnoxious git, but a handsome looking one all the same. "I just don't think it's important," she added, shoving a heaped spoon of yoghurt into her mouth. She swallowed. "Who cares what other people think?"

"Me. I care," Anaiah sulked. "Hey.. What do you keep looking over there for?"

A quick smack hit the elder Hufflepuff on the shoulder, an effective way to silence Ana. "Will you please shut up? I'm concentrating" Zara hushed.

"On potter? It must be such a hard task" A hint of sarcasm.

"Pft, no. As if". Zara's face was a darker shade of red than the Gryffindor crest. "Look, Sirius Black is missing... See?" She pointed with her mouth-cleaned spoon to the table. "He usually sits there with his little squad of bullies. I mean, minus Lupin, he's quite alright, isn't he?"

"Yeah and you've only fancied him since third year," Ana giggled. Zara rolled her eyes. She did have a crush on Lupin, but only a small one. He wasn't the most attractive teenage boy, but he was book smart and very considerate. Zara thought he was one of the smartest boys in the year, if not the school.

"Shut up, Ana. You have the biggest mouth in the world and some one is definitely going to hear you" She mumbled, cascading her beetroot face with her long ebony hair. "I was just looking because I'm mildly curious. I have detention with Potter tonight. I was thinking, if he's an obnoxious little git, like he always is, maybe he can be the victim of our annual start of year prank?"

"You want to prank the best pranker in the school?" Anaiah laughed, shaking her head. She poured the remnants of her pumpkin juice down her throat. "You have a death wish".

"It can be done," Zara insisted, glaring at him from across the room. "Have a little faith in me".

James was intoxicated by the his little flower. Lily Evans sat, so close to him but so far. The only girl in his life who had ever turned him down. His mission. He was going to make her like him this year, that was his priority. No matter what, by the end of the year, James and Lily we're going to be a thing.

A sharp elbow prodded his side. "Prongs," Lupin hissed, "stop being such a creep. If she notices that you're staring, she'll think you're weird".

James rolled his eyes, and stuffed a forkful of pork into his mouth. His eyes flickered between Evans and his best friend. "Well, how else do you propose I get her attention?" He asked, not waiting to clear his mouth first. He swallowed. "She already hates me".

Remus shrugged. "Everyone knows that she hates you. It's written on your forehead every time you follow her around like a lost, sad puppy," he replied. He wiped his mouth with the tissue that had been beside his plate. "What I say is... You like Evans because you can't have her, right? So, I say, stop liking her".

That was easier said than done. "Wow, you're bloody brilliant, Moony," he hissed darkly, "I don't know how I never thought of that before".

"You know that's not what I'm saying-"

James slammed his goblet down on the table. Many eyes gathered his way, but he cast them all stony glances. "So, what are you saying?"

"Evans has detention with you tonight, correct?" Lupin lowered his voice, just in case anyone was still listening. "Prove to her that you don't care, at least make her think as much. She'll soon come running.

James thought long and hard on the idea. Moony had a point, it could work. It wasn't really like he had much to lose. Ever since he had confessed his attraction to the marauders about Evans, she seemed to despise him more and more. "You might be onto something, Moony" he admitted, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I always am, Prongs, always"

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was it that she had ended up in detention for something that wasn't even her fault? He was such an obnoxious imbecile and perhaps if he hadn't been quite so rude in the first place, Lily wouldn't have lost her temper. It was just so cruel how they would always play tricks on poor Sev and it wasn't always just Sev but he tended to be the butt of their jokes. She'd had enough of it. Perhaps Potter needed a taste of his own medicine.

Even if Lily knew, deep down, that her and Severus weren't as close as they used to be and that, well, he was practicing the dark arts in his own time, it didn't deem it okay that Potter and his clan could pick on him so. Especially with his background, Severus was probably just trying to stick at something he was good at and it would be a lie to say he wasn't very talented at the dark arts. Had he ever been unkind to Lily? No.

Marlene McKinnon didn't have to agree with Lily that James was an idiot but she'd have much preferred it, instead of scoffing down her cereal in a less than ladylike manner, Marlene could have at least looked like she was listening to what the girl was saying, but that would have been too much, wouldn't it?

Jumping as someone crashed their goblet down, of course it didn't take a genius to work out who it was. Rolling her eyes as they hit James Potter, it really was rather inconvenient that he had such good hair. Hair that Lily would really quite like to mess up and then wait for the consequences to come. If he wasn't such a bully that was.

"Did you see that, Lily? I mean, come on, you had to have seen that, right?" Marlene interrupted her thoughts, her barely swallowing her mouthful before she spoke, eyes fixed on a Slytherin a few tables across from them. "Surely you noticed that? He didn't even flinch when James slammed that goblet into the table. It's weird. How can someone be quite so distant?" The blonde questioned her friend finally meeting Lily's eyes as she broke her gaze from the Slytherin, who of course was looking in the opposite direction.

"Maybe he's just interested in something else.." Lily offered not particularly interested in the marvel that Marlene had found in Alfie Sage. Perhaps he just wanted to escape the madness of everyone else, she knew that feeling. Taking a bite of her buttery toast Lily remembered what she was thinking of previously and quickly brought it back up before Marlene could start talking about something unimportant once more. Marlene was lovely, in fact she was probably one of Lily's closest friends but she did quite often stick her nose where it was not needed. Distracted by boys or who had the newest broomstick whereas Lily would much rather be discovering something new, outside trying out a new spell or even exploring the castle grounds. Marlene would happily sit and gossip about boys all day.

"Detention with him tonight, I still can't believe it. If he thinks that he can try and win me round with his sweet talking mouth whilst we're there, he's got another thing coming. He's just so obnoxious and arrogant and-ugh!"

There was truly nothing quite like the ruckus of the Great Hall at breakfast time and although he wouldn't admit it, Alfie did quite like to spend his morning in there even if it was full of people. He hadn't managed to finish the last few chapters of his latest book just yet and the liveliness reminded him of home. It wasn't an ideal place to read but he could sit and people watch which was equally as interesting.

Despite it being a solo game, Alfie was definitely the best at it. He'd noticed Sirius Black hadn't yet made an appearance on the Gryffindor table, he probably wouldn't make breakfast, head straight to class because he'd no doubt overslept, although James Potter looked rather cranky this morning too, longingly setting his gaze on Lily Evans which of course was a regular occurrence.

Although this morning James had an admirer of his own; other than a few of the fourth year girls who seemed to swoon around him like flies for some reason. Perhaps it was a little far fetched to call her an admirer because she seemed more interested in burning into his skin with her eyes than flirtatious glances. It was no surprise that James had rubbed Zara up the wrong way, he tended to do that with most people, well with a combination of Sirius Black and their pranks.

On his own table Severus Snape also occasionally let his gaze fade to Lily Evan's who seemed to be rallied up herself today. He'd spoken to Alfie about her before and how they were friends, how the other Slytherins despised the friendship and how he loathed James Potter, understandably. Perhaps Severus had just wanted someone to listen to him and although Alfie didn't really comment much on the situation, maybe it made him feel better knowing that someone had heard.

Finishing his last crust of jam toast Alfie didn't hesitate to take his book and leave the Great Hall before the rest of the school started to do so. Ten minutes before class would be the perfect timing for him to read one more chapter of his book. A muggle book that he'd bought when he was home for summer, 'Sherlock Holmes', a character he'd become rather fond of and decided he'd got some similar traits. Or at least he'd quite like to think so.

Walking swiftly towards the door, he'd be able to sit in the courtyard for a few minutes before having to make his way to Charms. Perfect timing to discover how Mr Holmes solved the mystery. How simplistic the world was without magic.

"I was thinking that maybe you'd want to attend," Anaiah's eyes flickered around Zara's face, a desperate attempt to read her expression. She knew it was a long shot inviting Z; she hated parties and anything that involved spending excessive time with those who were not her friends. It was just that she really wanted to go, she was desperate in a way. Placing her bottom lip over her top, Anaiah pouted like a young school child. "Please," she begged. "Zachariah is going".

"I couldn't care less if Zachariah is going," Zara felt her face burn scarlett. Her ex boyfriend could be found under the 'Oxford Dictionary' definition of 'a cockroach'. There was no one in the school, not James Potter, not Sirius black, no one, who she despised more. "That is not going to tempt me in any way, if anything I feel a little bit more put off. Although, I scarcely know how that is possible". Zara could feel her hand clenching around the books she held to her chest, her nails digging into the cover. "Anyway, I'm on prefect duty tomorrow night. So, you'll have to find someone else to go".

"Merlins beard, Z. You're always busy these days. When it's not duelling club or prefect duty, it's Quidditch practice. You're my best friend and I hardly see you!" Anaiah whined. Zara cringed, it wasn't like she was wrong. This year was so hectic with attempting to build up her CV, she was beginning to neglect the people that mattered. She couldn't remember the last time she had owled her mother or sister. Still, it wasn't like Ana wasn't using this to her advantage.

"Fine, I'll go to your wretched party tomorrow. Only, and if only, you promise to be my personal bodyguard. I don't want him anywhere near me," she mumbled defeated, rolling her eyes skyward, and landing them in the courtyard, on a lone Slytherin boy. "I swear, Ana. If he comes near me then-"

"He won't! He won't!" She gushed, kissing her friend on the check, then the forehead. "I promise," a squeal escaped her lips. "I can't wait, it's going to be so much fun".

"Yeah, fun..." Zara grunted, her eyes not quite leaving the courtyard yet. She'd she the lonesome figure around before, but only rarely. He was quiet, kept to himself. You would never spot him in a crowd. He was everything Zacariah was not. To say that she didn't like that would be the equivalent of claiming that Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindewald were not the greatest wizards of all time.

James bumped shoulders with Moony and Wormtail, as they made their way through the corridors. Padfoot hadn't arrived at breakfast, but James had no worries. He had still been fast asleep when he had left this morning, and that was considerably late. If James Potter had learned anything in Hogwarts, though he hadn't learned much, it was that you never woke Sirius up. Even if his life depended on it, you still didn't; it was suicide.

This morning in particular, his first lesson would be Potions - with his least favourite Professor in the world. Professor Slughorn was a short, stout fellow. His favouritism for those who were good at his subject was obvious, and this didn't extend to Potter. Lily Evans was one of his 'collectables', as the marauders called them, and a thriving member of the 'Slug Club'. Another blossoming member of Slughorns class, was Snivellus, or so James had heard. He often attended Slughorn's parties, sometimes even with Lily.

There was no one more, in the universe, Potter hated that Snivellus Snape and his fancy self invented spells. Who did he think he was? The little prancy boy. If James could have his own way, he'd shove that fancy wand of his up where the sun didnt shine. That would show him.

"Prongs?"

"Uhm. Yeah?" James's eyes flew to down Pettigrew's face. Pettigrew was often asking questions. He always wanted to know how things worked or why things happened. It got a little irritating at times, but he was still one of the group. Besides, he was good to confide secrets in. His quiet demeanour around other people meant that he wasn't likely to go and tell what you'd said.

"I said have you done your potions homework? Can I copy?" Wormtail asked, running a hand through his lucious blond locks.

Potter frowned. "I thought you had done the homework. It was my turn to copy of you," he growled. His flawless face was burdened with a frown. The two of them glanced to Lupin.

"No," he said sternly, without even being asked. "Not a chance. I know exactly what you're thinking". Remus exhaled a long sigh. "You said no more after last time, prongs".

James bit his lip pensively, he really regretted having said that. "Look, I'll make it up to you. I'll buy you a butterbeer next Hogsmeade weekend. I promise".

It wasn't hard for Lily to admit that Potions definitely was her favourite subject, especially with Professor Slughorn. It didn't ever fail to amaze Lily about the knowledge he had, it wasn't like the other professors weren't knowledgable but he always made it rather engaging. Sometimes in her History of Magic lessons Lily struggled to pay attention, it didn't help that James sat in front of her in that class either. She had the perfect view of the back of his head or she might of if he didn't turn round to talk to her throughout most of the lesson, every lesson without fail.

Despite this being one of their first sixth year potion lessons Lily had already attempted conjuring up the potion they were making today, the whit-sharpening potion. Having her own copy of their potions textbook in front of her, at least Lily sat with Severus in this lesson. She might get a minute to ask him about the party too, he'd been rather absent of recent and despite seeing him on a few occasions in the Summer Lily hadn't really had a chance to catch up with her friend.

"What are you thinking about?" Came the monotone voice destroying Lily's thoughts as she sat behind her desk, not noticing she'd let her thoughts take over. Offering Severus a small smile she looked up at her taller friend, he'd grown over the summer, even since she'd seen him. Needed a haircut though, not that Lily would be the one to tell him.

"Thinking about you actually, I haven't seen you much recently, Sev."

"Good morning my lovely sixth year students!" Came a bold voice from the front of the class where Lily's attention got diverted to, it was nice that someone was in a good mood. Professor Slughorn must have preferred teaching sixth year students, after all they'd chosen the subject and were more willing to learn, in general anyway.

"Today we're going to be making whit-sharpening potion, if you recall I done a demonstration last lesson." Clearing his throat for a moment before he spoke again, Professor Slughorn made a gesture with his head to indicate that the class could get up. "You know where everything is, lets get started."

With that remark the class were up and before Lily got to say another word to Severus he was gone. Collecting his equipment from the back of the classroom, a frown forming on the redhead's face as she noticed Sirius Black casually coming through the door, late again. Would he ever learn? Looked like he'd be joining her in detention later too.

Halfway through his Charms lesson and all they seemed to be doing today was listening to Madame Tozer go on and on about how to do the spell, Alfie would be surprised if by the end of the lesson they were even allowed to attempt it themselves. Today they were learning about the Aguamenti spell which pretty much meant the water making spell. Of course they were encouraged to be making notes and although he was listening to what she was saying the only piece of useful information which she'd actually came out with was what the name translated to.

Instead of notes what had taken up his page was a rather fierce looking drawing of a Chinese Fireball dragon, the scarlet colour wasn't there due to his lack of colouring pencils but he'd shaded appropriately and had ironically drawn it breathing water. Somewhat relevant to the lesson, if nothing else. If Madame Tozer picked him up on it, he could quite confidently say that he heard eighty seven percent of what she'd said and could probably make an educated guess about the rest.

It never failed to surprise Alfie that the woman was hired to teach charms, from what he'd figured out it was only her second year of teaching. Sometimes he very much questioned whether or not she'd be hired because of her appearance, there was no denying that she was pretty. Sun kissed skin and long dark curls that matched the darkness in her eyes, he couldn't complain about that, at least she was something pleasant to look at.

Eventually just before the end of the lesson Madame Tozer let them try out the charm, her seeming as though she was learning the spell for the first time herself too. Peering into the Standard Book of Spells every now and then as she demonstrated how to do the charm to the class.

Even if he didn't want to admit it, it was quite impressive, a quick flick of her wand and her light tone pronouncing the words and there it was. Across the whole of the class right to the back of the room, a steady stream of water escaped her dark oak wand and ran into a vase on the table at the rear of the classroom. That would definitely be a spell that would impress his little sister, there wouldn't be a water fight he wouldn't win with that one. The thought led him to let out a sigh as he leant on his left hand. Surely it was nearly lunchtime, wasn't it?

James flicked his wand, sending the note, that had been folded into an airplane, flying across the classroom. It landed in Moony's hair, who pulled it out with a disdaining glare Prongs' way and shook his head. 'Open it,' Potter mouthed, a cheeky grin on his face. Remus shook his head. What a big fat bore.

When Padfoot entered the class a whole lot later than everyone, receiving his daily detention, James couldn't help but smile. At least some one in here was willing to have a little bit of fun. He scraped his stool to the side, so that he could sit beside him, and patted the decrepit old table. It made a groan, like it was about to give way beneath them, but James ignored it blissfully.

Opening his potions book, James stared down at all the instructions. There wasn't too many steps, and the potion level was rated as moderate. Between them, Sirius and him would be able to help each other enough to pass.

1. Mix in Ginger Root until lime green.
  2. Mix Armadillo Bile until blue.
  3. Mix Ground Scarab Beetles until red.
  4. Remix Armadillo Bile until red liquid is yellow. (Not dark green).
  5. Remix Ginger Roots until brew is lime green.
  6. Mix Armadillo Bile until the potion is purple.
  7. Allow potion to simmer for 10 minutes.
  8. Add more Ginger Root until the potion is dark orange.

James got cracking. First, he diced a ginger root, whilst Black attempted to measure the bile for both of them. Having sprinkled the roots in, then pouring in the bile, Sirius began to crush the beetles. With a moment of freedom, Potter glanced around.

His eyes landed upon Severus Snape, who was scribbling into his copy of Advanced Potions as he went along. He was completely consumed into his own world.

Now, James wasn't stupid. He recognized an opportunity when it came along. Seizing this opportunity, and ultimately the day, Potter scanned to check that no one was looking. The coast was clear. He swiped an ugly looking vial from cabinet beside him, then poured the whole contents into Snivellus' potion.

Smirking contentedly, he return to his own work. There wasn't long left to go till the end of the lesson. Potions always flew by, partly because there was so much to do. Also because he got to tease Severus a little bit more. After placing in the crush beetles, Potter went to re-mix his potion. However, as he leaned onto the work table, something very bizzare happened. It gave way beneath his weight, the contents spelling absolutely everywhere. Nowhere was safe from its wrath.

"Bloody hell," Sirius hissed. "Look what you've gone and done, fatty".

"Fatty? You're kidding, right?" James retorted, narrowing his eyes beneath his glasses. "Look at me, I'm flawless".

A solemn voice boomed from in front of them. It took no guesses for the dynamic duo to guess who it was. "Mr Potter and Mr Black, why when something goes wrong is it always the two of you?" Slughorn shook his head. "A shame really. You both could have done with some wit. Clean up the mess, please. I'll be marking this as a failure".

Every word from Madame Tozers mouth was like oxygen to Zara, she clung onto it for dear life. Every sentence she said, was captured onto the dear piece of parchment in front of her. The important notes were underlined. Biting her nails, with great anxiety, as she struggled to remember the last sentence, Zara finally gave up. There couldn't possibly have been anything too important that she had missed anyway.

Sometimes, not too often, Zara found that she missed having muggle things around. Her mother was a muggle lover, she worked as a make up artist in the muggle world for big time companies like Victoria's Secret. Therefore, her house at home was cluttered with muggle items. Mobile phones, iPads, make up, clocks. If you could name it, it was probably there. Right now, she would've killed to have some wi-fi. She thought long and hard, as she zoned out, about how lucky muggle children were. At least they had some sort of distraction in school when they wanted it.

Pulling out her wand, Zara pretended to write her name in the air, like a child with a sparkler. When she reached the "a" in Sampaio, there was a loud bang from the front of the class. Her wand fell from her hand instantaneously, and she chewed her lower lip anxiously. She really hadn't meant for that to happen. When she had wished for a distraction, she didn't realised that it would come with trouble.

"Who was that?" Madame Tozer bellowed. She dripped from head to toe, in the same water that she had only just poured into the vase. Shards of glass had flung across the class room. Zara didn't have a death wish, and was in no rush of owning up to the chaos. She hadn't exactly cast a spell, so it was untraceable to herself. She was also certain that she had not been saw. "I know it was one of you," the woman continued, her perfect skin crinkling in frustration. "Anaiah Petaria!" She pointed at Zara's best friend, who sat across the classroom. "Stand up".

Shit. No, she didn't quite want that to happen either. Unsure what to do Zara raised her hand, but was ignored, or perhaps unseen even. She slowly pulled it back down again. Would it be so bad if Ana took one for the team? She was, after all, attending a party for her tomorrow. If Zara explained, she wouldn't mind.

"Go and find your head of house immediately," she began to scribble notes onto a piece of parchment, her brows furrowing in concentration. She held her hand out, the paper in between her nimble fingers. "Give them this. I don't want to see your face much longer. Pip. Hurry. Come on".

Fustrated, and angry, Anaiah shoved her belongings into her school bag. All of which landed with a thud. Flinging the satchel over her shoulder, she pulled her bottom lip over her top. "But-"

"No buts!" The professor shook her head. She did not want to hear any excuses. Anaiah made her way out the class room. Only when she stood in the doorframe, did Madame Tozer add, "detention tomorrow night, Ms Peteria. I expect you at my study between 7 and 11". Zara's eyes bulged out of her head. The party! Ana was going to miss the party, and it was all her fault. She was going to absolutely fume if she found out the truth.

Of course there had to be some sort of ruckus caused by James Potter and Sirius Black. Why couldn't they just grow up? Although as much as she wanted to hide it, Lily couldn't help but laugh a little, that was probably the idea in the first place. To make the whole class laugh and they certainly done that, a small smile remained on Lily's face as the Professor gave the pair a fail. However she couldn't help but feel that Professor Slughorn's comment was relevant, if anyone needed some whit it was probably those two.

As the crash happened and there was a awful smell which filled the classroom Lily was adding the very last of her contents to the potion. The last sprinkle of ginger root, the liquid bubbling slowly before turning a dark shade of orange, much like her hair.

Flicking through the instructions once again, Lily looked to Severus' potion next to her, his however was a light shade of purple, it completely still and looking less than lively.

"Uhm, Sev.. Did you want some more ginger root? I've got some spare." Lily offered the taller of the pair, knowing very well that if she'd mentioned the potion looked wrong he wouldn't take kindly to it. Huffing slightly the red head blew her messy fringe from her eyes and bit her bottom lip, there was definitely something wrong with his potion but from what she'd seen he'd followed the book precisely, he always did.

With his greasy ebony hair sticking to his forehead Severus shot Lily a glare after he looked at her cauldron. He'd done everything that she'd done, but taken more care with the measurements, sometimes Lily could be a little careless with that and hers looked perfect! What had gone wrong?

"I'm more than aware that something isn't right, Lily." He snapped with a harsh tone, a deep frown buried under his thick hair. Taking the ginger root which Lily had offered, Severus carefully added a little more, a small amount at a time until there was nothing more left in the bowl. No difference whatsoever.

Then he realised as Slughorn spoke to the pair behind them, they were responsible. How could he have been quite so oblivious?

"Potter, stupid scheming snake." He muttering under his breath as his eyes narrowed at the pair who were scrubbing at the floor behind them, slipping his hand into his robe pocket to grab his wand. They weren't facing him and he could so easily curse them, it'd be worth the trouble he'd get in for it.

Starting to swirl his wand in a circular motion the words on the tip of his tongue, almost leaving his lips, until he felt a warm hand on top of his own.

"They aren't worth it Sev, seriously." Came a quiet sturdy voice from the girl who stood next to him, her carefully pushing his arm back down. Instead of saying anything more Lily ruffled a hand through her hair once more and moved over to Severus' cauldron.

"Sir, I don't know what's gone wrong with mine. It's gone a really odd colour, Severus tried to fix it for me but it just will not go orange." Professor Slughorn making his way over and wearing a tired looking frown when he looked down at the cauldron with the purple liquid in.

"Oh, you're quite right there. I'm afraid I'll have to fail you too Miss Evans. You'll have to come back with Black and Potter when they redo theirs." Professor Slughorn explained and shook his head slightly, glad to have the lesson almost over.

"This however, looks much better. Good job, Severus. That should be suitable to use from the looks of it. Well done, young man, we'll make a budding potions master of you yet."

••••

The class certainly got a lot more exciting as Madame Tozer suddenly became drenched in the very water she'd produced from her wand. As the whole class fell into laughter it was soon cut off as she screamed at poor Anaiah, the least likely person in the class to have committed the crime. It was only that Alfie had been looking in that direction when it happened and he was more than aware of who it was.

Zara wasn't making very much of an effort to admit to her mistake, at least that was what it'd looked like as her best friend struggled for words to clear her innocence. Wasn't she a bloody prefect? Either way it was quite clear that the Hufflepuff was distressed and that no one else was making any effort to help her out.

As the girl reached the front of the classroom to take her note, that the fuming teacher had scribbled out Alfie decided he'd do something perhaps rather stupid. Standing up from his seat and grabbing the bag by his side, the brunette headed towards the front of the class where the pair stood.

"It wasn't her, it was me, I'll take that note, I suppose." Laying his own bed to lie in the boy almost immediately regretted the words, but how could he not feel sorry for her? She was flustered and in a real mess. Obviously there would be some consequences but he wouldn't be expelled for that and would it really be the worst thing if he was? At least that way he'd be home with his little sister more often. She wouldn't be stuck with their parents alone..

It wasn't until he saw the fury in Madame Tozer's eyes that he realised he probably couldn't be in any more trouble if he tried. In his defence it was an accident, that's how he'd play it.. Sharing a quick glance with Ana, Alfie wasn't certain if there was anger or relief in her eyes, perhaps a mixture of both.

Swallowing hard as he made his way back through the class, Alfie didn't make any eye contact with the rest of his classmates. Keeping his gaze on the floor he needed to come up with a plan, something to get him out of this mess. They wouldn't get rid of him, surely.. He hadn't been in trouble before, had great grades and worked hard. Hopefully his Quidditch wouldn't be taken away. He was stupid to think that he'd be able to stay on the team for the rest of this term at least but he couldn't help but hope.

The last thing James had wanted to do was get Lily Evans a fail. She had perfect grades, a spotless reputation, and she'd risked it all for that slime ball. He didn't understand, he couldn't. What on earth could Severus Snape have, that he did not? It most certainly wasn't looks. No chance that it was charm. Yet, he had to have something. Whatever it was, it worked for him.

As the marauders left class, James stuffed both of his hands into his pockets. Frankly, he was feeling rather grim. Today, he had been certain, was supposed to be the day. He was finally going to charm Lily Evans, the only girl who had ever rejected him. He was going to conquer the unconquerable. Although, in fairness, he did manage to persuade himself every day that it would be that day.

"At least you got her attention, Prongs," chimed Wormtail, who couldn't hold a girls attention for longer than five minutes. The marauders always told Peter that he just needed more confidence, but in reality he was lacking severe social skills.

Remus snorted. "Attention? Maybe. If he wanted to create the impression he was a child who couldn't do anything on his own, he definitely accomplished it," he shook his head. "Congratulations on your attention, James".

Sirius elbowed Moony in the side, hard. His arm draped around his best friend. "Come on, Prongs. Cheer up. It's hardly the end of the world. At least Lily was distracted and so she failed too. You get to spend more time together now".

Lupin shook his head with disapproval, and James' stomach sunk with guilt. Lily hadn't been distracted. Her potion had been perfect, he knew it. She'd just swapped it with Severus, because he was a whiny baby who couldn't even handle a fail. Prongs kicked the dirt on the ground as he walked, truly defeated.

"Did you get a detention tonight?" He decided to change the subject, bored of feeling disappointed. Sirius smirked, and made the point 'when did he ever not have detention?' A very valid point. James and Peter laughed, Lupin just hit his lip. "I can't be bothered, you know. The caretaker, Rebeus Hagrid, he's a bit mad, isn't he? I mean, I wonder what he'll have us do".

"Probably chase a leprechaun across a rainbow," Sirius smirked. "I don't care. Lily is going. Then again, so is Snivellus and a few others. I doubt we'll spend too much time as a group".

James looked out into the courtyard. Only another lesson to go and then it was lunch. He considered skipping afternoon lessons, but decided against it. First day and all. "Yeah. We'll probably be in pairs," he agreed.

Swarms of students began to push past, a clear indication that it was time for next lesson. Defence Against the Dark Arts, James' favourite and best subject. Someday, he wanted to be an auror. That was the only reason he was in the bloody potions class to start with.

"Next lesson, isn't it?" Remus ushered the three along. All of whom laughed at their friends enthusiasm to be on time to class.

As the lesson finished, Zara flung her books into her bag. Her wand was slotted up her sleeve. She had to explain to Madame Tozer, though she wasn't sure how exactly she'd explain. Eager to be the first to the front, Zara slid past all the bodies. "Excuse me. Sorry. I really am sorry," she apologised, brushing past slightly annoyed faces. When she reached the front, she took a deep breath. "Professor!" She exclaimed, trying to get her attention before she left. "I- Uhm. There's something I have to say".

The professor flashed her an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, it'll have to wait until next lesson," she replied, slotting her books neatly into her bag. "I've got a meeting with the head". The professor shrugged, sliding past Sampaio into the hall.

"No, it can't wait, that's the thing," she said, running a little to keep up her taller teacher. Her professor paused, giving her a look that spoke 'you have two seconds, make it worth my time'. Zara smiled, then frowned upon thinking about what she had to do. She lowered her voice, "it was me. I was the one who accidentally splashed the water. I'm so sorry-"

"Ms Sampaio!" The teacher gasped. Zara winced, closing her eyes anxiously in anticipation for a lecture that never came. "You're a prefect, prefects shouldn't lie-"

"I know, I did try to tell you but-"

"I mean, I understand. You feel sorry for the Slytherin boy. You're a Hufflepuff, you figure if you take the blame that you'll be in less trouble. I'm sorry, but I won't allow you to be wrongly accused" the professor finished. Wrongly accused? No, she had it all wrong!

"But you see-"

"Hm! I've heard enough," the professor shook her head. "If you want to get a boy's attention, Ms Sampaio. You don't need to throw yourself under a bus. Just loosen your hair a little, be a bit more fun. Now, if you'll excuse me".

The professor shoved past, leaving behind a very defeated looking Hufflepuff. She leaned against the wall tiredly. They say Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders. Ha, well, she'd like to see her find herself a way out of this mess.

Zara stared out into the distance, focusing on nothing. She thought long and hard on possibilities, but all of them led to a dead end. The only rational thing to do seemed to be merely approaching the boy. She decided that she would confess to him what had happened, and then offer to make it up to him. She just hoped he wasn't too typical of a Slytherin. She couldn't bare the thought of apologising to a Lucuis Malfoy 2.0.

At least Defense Against the Dark Arts went quickly, Lily couldn't have beared it if it'd have dragged. She was already completely dreading the detention she had that evening and she had to redo her potion now too at some point. It wasn't like she wouldn't pass it, but it was besides the point, she shouldn't have to make the potion again. Once again it was down to James Potter and Sirius Black, obviously it was her choice to swap the potion with Severus but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.

Now as she sat in the Great Hall listening to Marlene as she spoke about the slug club party tomorrow evening, she wasn't very hungry. Even the soft white bread that made up thick jam sandwiches, which were one of Lily's favourites couldn't tempt her today. Why did it happen that whatever she did or wherever she went James Potter seemed to follow her like a bad smell?

When she'd been back home for Summer Lily had tried to confide in her sister about the troublesome boy but of course, like anything Lily said, Petunia wasn't interested. Wasn't that what big sisters were supposed to be for? Boy troubles and homesickness. As it happened the pair didn't speak very much at all over Summer. Petunia was busy off with her friends most of the time and when the family travelled to France together for two weeks, Petunia refused to speak to Lily when they were alone, fobbing her off with excuses every time. Maybe it was her own fault, perhaps if she wasn't quite so selfish and didn't focus on her studies as much, maybe her sister would be a little warmer towards her.

"So, who are you taking with you then, Lily?" Marlene pressed for a second time, questioning her about the party. Something Lily had completely forgotten about in the chaotic events of her potions class. She hadn't even had a minute to ask Severus if he was going and the likelihood of her seeing him again before the party was rather slim.

"Do I really have to go with someone? You'll be there, anyway. I'm more than happy with my own company." Lily explained confidently although she didn't feel quite as certain about what she was saying. In fact she felt rather sad about going alone, especially since Marlene was going with Zachariah, she'd only look pitiful and sad if she turned up alone and her friend had a date.

"Didn't you get to speak to Snape about going? I thought you were going to ask him in your Potions class?" Marlene questioned as she sipped at her pumpkin juice, her eyes glazing over to the Mauraders who were huddled on the end of the Gryffindor table.

"What about Remus, has he got a date?" Her crunching into a bright red apple as Lily looked over to group of boys.

Remus Lupin was nice enough, he was always studious, kind and caring. Lily had spoken to him on many occasions, studied with him a few times too. She could class him as a friend, right? But then it might put him in a rather awkward position with Potter, they were quite close and although Lily wouldn't mind winding James up at the moment, she didn't want to make Remus feel uncomfortable. Letting out a loud huff the girl folded her arms and slumped down on the oak table.

"I would ask him but it'd be awkward with Potter, not that I care but I mean for him. He's good friends with him and I wouldn't want to upset him." Lily explained not removing her head from the folded nest she'd made on the table.

"Well, it'd only be awkward if you wanted him to go as your date, right? Ask him as a friend, then you don't turn up alone and you're going with someone who isn't a complete doffus." Marlene suggested as though it was the simplest thing in the world. At least there always was that with Marlene, she was good with boys.

Heading over to the end of the table Lily perched herself next to Peter, who just so happened to be opposite Remus. Her looking only to Remus when she spoke, the words falling from her lips rather quickly.

"Remus, are you going to Slughorn's party tomorrow night because I don't have a date and I don't really want a date, either. But if you haven't got one, would you like to go together, as friends? As opposed to us both looking rather sad and alone but if you have got a date, that's fine, I'm happy to go alone." Without diverting her bright green eyes from Remus, Lily could usually pull off confident quite well but she was awaiting some snarky comment from one of Potter's cronies, hoping that if she ignored them they might just disappear into the background.

••••

As it so happened Alfie's great deed really had gotten him into more trouble than he'd bargained for. Playing the hero wasn't his cup of tea and he was much more of an anti-villian, for sure.

Seeing as his parents were Muggles they weren't called in to have the meeting with him, Madame Tozer, his head of house and Professor Dumbledore but they were going to get a letter informing them of his wrong doing. Wouldn't that be something pleasant to look forward to when he went home next?

As it so happened Professor Dumbledore was rather keen on Alfie, he'd concluded that it was because he felt sorry for him. After all, his father had left them when they were young and his mother had turned to alcohol with an abusive step-father. Dumbledore wasn't to know all this but he came from a poor background where no one very much cared about him attending a school for Witches and Wizards except his pitiful little sister. How he only hoped that she would have powers in her too.

"I promise it was an accident, I'm really sorry Madame Tozer. I wasn't fully paying attention, no and I was drawing with my wand.. I didn't mean to, I dropped the wand when you started making the water appear, it made me jump and well, we all know what happened from there on." The boy explained with a sorrowful look on his face, he was great with excuses, had been since his step-father started living with them. Falling down the stairs was quite common in his household.

Whether it was lucky or not Alfie didn't quite know, Madame Tozer didn't want to see or hear from him for at least a month and he would study Charms with the seventh year, with the other Charms teacher Professor Gotts. Anything he'd missed Professor Gotts would go through with him and if he didn't get an 'Outstanding' by the end of the month then he would be sitting an extra Charms lesson with Madame Tozer everyday, in his own time until he reached that level. To add to the excitement Alfie would be having detention everyday for the next two weeks then one once a week until he knew every sixth year charm they were to be taught.

It was a lot of bloody work for something he didn't even do but he supposed it didn't matter too much, Ana wasn't in trouble and he didn't really have anything to lose. His first detention was with the new groundskeeper Hagrid and apparently he knew quite a lot about dragons. A topic that never ceased to fascinate Alfie. Punishment he could live with. What would he be doing anyway? Reading a book in a quiet corner of the castle.

The only downside of his current punishment was that he was stuck in the headmaster's office for the rest of the day, rewriting the contents of his charms book. Wasn't it going to be thrilling?

The boys had been talking about the fittest girls in the year, when Lily had came over. Of course, she had been Prongs' number one. His second had been Narcissa Black, just to annoy Sirius. She had been followed closely by the third, Anaiah Peteira. None of these even remotely came close to Evans, they didn't even scratch the surface of her level.

Sirius mumbled something about there being no particular gorgeous girls in their year. Those who weren't ugly, were plain. All of them agreed though that, Lily was something special. Therefore, Pads' three had consisted of a few irrelevant girls: Anaiah Peteria, Aleyah Di Giorgi, and girl who was friends with Lily, called Marlene. Remus made a comment about it being sexist to number girls on their looks. Pettigrew said that he merely didn't know enough girls to order them.

Then, almost as if she had heard her name, an angel appeared. Lily Evans sat perched at the end of her table, in all of her glory. Her fiery locks flowing, her green eyes gleaming. James wanted to kiss her there and then. He thought he was dreaming. He'd died and went to heaven.

He soon had a harsh fall back to reality. Lily wasn't approaching him. No, she wouldn't even look his way, no matter how much he itched for her to. She kept her eyes locked on Moony. Then, the words escaped her lips. The words that sent James crashing down straight to hell from the gates of heaven. She was asking in out, as friends for sure, but still. What did Lupin have that he didn't? Sure, he was a definite upgrade from Snape. Still, James had always thought himself the better looking one in the bunch.

"You're bloody having a right laugh. Are you mad?" Sirius didn't restrain himself. He voiced what the whole group was thinking. "You have a right cheek-"

James put his hand on Pads' shoulder, and shook his head. That wasn't going to make things any better. If Remus was being invited to a party, he deserved to go. Moony was his best friend, always stuck with dire, boring things like prefect duty. He deserved to have a night partying, letting himself loose, with the most beautiful woman in the school. Moreover, at least he knew Lily would be safe with him.

Lupin gave James an uncertain look. He did want to go to Professor Slughorns party. He'd wanted to get on the Professor's good side for a long side, and this was his chance to prove his worth.

James shrugged. "I don't own anyone, Moony. If you and Evans want to go together then you can," he said, quite mature for himself. "Let yourself have some fun for once".

Sirius had to look at him twice, to make sure the boy sitting next to him was still his best friend. "You're not serious?" He laughed, his eyebrows raised. "You have to be joking".

"You're the Sirius here," Potter retorted, playing with word as an attempt to take some attention from himself, "but no, I'm not kidding. Why would I be?"

Anaiah sat at the lunch table with her best friend, stirring her cup of tea with a small spoon. Occasionally, she would glance up and look around, only to lower her head in disappointment.

"Who are you looking for?" Zara eventually found herself asking. "Anyone in particular?"

"No," she sighed, sounding disheartened. "I'm not looking for anyone".

Zara chewed on her lip nervously. Her bottom lip was a victim of her troubled thoughts. The guilt of nearly letting Anaiah take the blame was eating her up alive. She wanted to confess, say sorry, but she didn't know how.

"Don't lie to me, A. You're my best friend. Are you looking for that boy?" She asked, lifting her best friends chin with her pointer finger. "Hey, are you okay?"

Anaiah looked up, her eyes a little bloodshot. You could see the tears forming in her eyes. "No, not particularly. I just can't believe someone was going to let me take the fall for that, you know?"

"Uhm- yeah," Zara said quietly. There went any hope of a confession with forgiveness. She ran an anxious hand through her hair. "Cheer up, A. We have your party tomorrow, remember?"

Anaiah's face immediately lit up in anticipation. The corners of her mouth tugged up into a smile. "You mean you're going?"

Zara smiled back, feeling better now that her friend wasn't so down. "Of course I am, I promised, didn't I?"

Anaiah swallowed her tea, and hugged her friend. "I'm so happy you're coming. That's a little better at least. I thought you'd be put off and all, you know? After hearing?"

"Hearing what, A?" Zara's smile dropped right off her face. "Ana?" She repeated, after not receiving a reply straight away.

"Some person called Anonymous. They've posted notes all around the school about you. Here, I tried to take a few down, have a look". Ana passed her a flyer. They looked very muggle like. It was if they had been typed and printed out.

They read:

"Poor little Z,

Can't you see?

No one cares for you,

You should get a clue.

Heres goss, hot like fire

Don't you know your Zacariah,

Has moved on already

To a hot Gryffindor,

they're going steady".

Bloody Sirius Black, Lily had a right mind to curse him for that. Perhaps she should have let Sev get on with it earlier, turned a blind eye. The pair of them were completely disgraceful, how could they even think of doing that to his potion? And yet he had the cheek to call her mad?

That she was now.

With a swift movement that fixed her eyes on the scruffy looking boy Lily didn't hold back, in fact why the heck should she of? He'd been completely wretched to poor Severus and not just to him but to many others too, what with his immature pranks and stupid comments. It was about time that someone stood up to him.

"If you hadn't noticed Sirius, I wasn't actually addressing you. Nor was I asking you to think for Remus either." Her red hair flicking over one shoulder as she turned to face him properly. "I know it hasn't ever crossed your mind that two people of the opposite sex can be friends but as it so happens, that is a thing." Her speaking very slowly and in a patronising manner, of course being rather sarcastic in her tone.

"Perhaps instead of telling Remus what he should and shouldn't do, you should take a leap out of his book." A muggle term which fell naturally from her lips, it was too late to take it back now. "And then perhaps you wouldn't be the one who is constantly in detention and you might actually get invited to these parties yourself."

Folding her arms as she looked back to Remus, who seemed a little bemused by the whole situation, Lily couldn't help but notice how James did seem to be mature about it. He wasn't arguing with her like Sirius was, wasn't putting up some kind of childish fight, instead he just looked rather heartbroken.

That very much added to the guilt which had already built up in the redhead from Sirius' comments, although she had snapped at him and practically bitten off his head, she'd taken the comments to heart. Of course she'd never intended to hurt James, even if he did piss her off, that wasn't the intention.

As if someone had given Remus back his tongue he finally managed to speak up, in a rather sheepish tone of voice at that. What was he supposed to do? Was Prongs just saying that because Lily was there? Would he secretly resent him for saying yes? But then again, like Lily had specifically pointed out it was only as friends. Sirius wasn't ever going to understand that concept and well, he really could do with getting on Slughorn's good side.

What a conundrum it truly was.

"In that case, I'll go with you Lily. As friends." He replied simply looking up to the girl whose cheeks had also turned a shade of scarlet.

With her lips pursed together Lily gave Remus a tight smile before glancing back at James then to Sirius. "Great, I'll meet you at the common room at six tomorrow if I don't see you beforehand. Seeing as I'm lucky to still be going, no thanks to you two." Both Sirius and James would know what she meant, after all it was true what she'd said. She was lucky to still be going at all.

Turning on her heels she headed back to Marlene, her cheeks still a light pink as she left the group sitting rather dumbstruck.

••••

In the headmaster's office time felt like it was an eternity, there was no doubt about it that it was an interesting room, in fact it was like no other in Hogwarts but the simplicity of it was, it wasn't where Alfie wanted to be. Nor where he truly deserved to be.

As his stomach started to protest with groans of hunger, it didn't take a genius to work out that it was almost lunch time. Alfie had only eaten a measly slice of toast that morning and with the excitement of the day building up, it proved to be an injustice for his stomach.

Stopping writing with the quill for a minute the doe eyed boy stretched his left hand, being the one he wrote with of course and let out a small yawn. At least there would be some credibility amongst his fellow Slytherins, they weren't to know it wasn't actually him who cast the spell but would be impressed at the mayhem caused. He quite often was told he was too quiet, not that he paid any attention. Most of his housemates probably didn't even know his name.

As he'd been copying each line of the book, Alfie couldn't help but let his mind wander as to who had really been responsible for the mischief. Was it someone who was just a coward and didn't want to admit to it? Or was it really an accident that they couldn't possibly admit to? Either way, they were probably grateful it was him that'd taken the wrap or more so relieved.

By now the occurrence was probably forgotten among his classmates and something new and exciting had taken the limelight, but it wasn't as though he was terribly unhappy. Ana reminded him a little of his sister and he hoped that if ever something similar was to happen to her, there would be someone willing to save her too.

It wasn't until Professor Dumbledore must have gotten sick of hearing his stomach rumble that Alfie wore a smile again, hopefully there would be something left over in the Great Hall. Without a watch Alfie guessed that he'd missed the majority of lunch and that he could probably sneak to the kitchen without being seen.

It hasn't crossed his mind that Ana; whose full name he never quite knew how to pronounce, would actually believe that he had played the trick. That he wasn't in fact saving her but had been too much of a coward to admit it was him in the first place. That was until he saw the girl crying at the Hufflepuff table, her best friend next to her, trying to comfort her.

That feeling wasn't half as great as the hero one he'd had in Dumbledore's office. It wasn't even as though he could admit to her that it wasn't him, he'd taken the blame for it now and it was all too late.

Walking as quickly as he could to the kitchen, Alfie explained the situation to a house elf who looked fairly kind and didn't have a frying pan nearby. Reluctantly he agreed to make Alfie a cheese and ham sandwich with the leftovers, not that he minded terribly. He was hungry enough to eat a Hypogriff now.

After he'd got some food the tall boy didn't hesitate to make his way back to the office, finding a rather peculiar note posted in one of the hallways on the way. Z? Well, that certainly ruled him out. He'd had enough trouble for one day already.

Lupin raised an eyebrow in questioning, but Potter shook his head. He didn't want to talk about it. Sirius, himself, was a little taken aback. He didn't have the slightest idea of what Lily Evans was going on about. Rightly so, he hadn't even seen Potter put the stuff in Snivellus' potion.

"She's a right pain in the ass her, Prongs. I don't know what you see in her," Sirius' face was a sickly shade of white, the colour had drained from his face when she had lashed out at him. "She's got too much to say". He lifted his goblet to his face, and swallowed half of the pumpkin juice in one go.

"Yeah, well..." James shoved his hands in his robes pocket sheepishly. He couldn't stop thinking. Did Lily fancy Remus? What if Remus liked her back? Sure, it would be painful, but James liked them both enough to want them to be happy. He'd give them his blessing, begrudgingly.

"What are last two lessons today?" Peter asked, shoving a spoonful of Creme Brûlée into his mouth. One of the benefits of Hogwarts is that there was always desert, no matter what time of day it was.

James shrugged. Sirius grunted. Only Lupin bothered to remind him that they all have different options. Pettigrew frowned.

"I was thinking about skipping lessons for the rest of the day," spoke a disheartened Prongs. Honestly, he'd only been going to attend to please Evans. He had wanted to show her that he could be mature, but the magic had faded from that idea now. "Anyone feel like joining?"

Both Sirius and Pettigrew agreed. Lupin didn't even bother to reply, he didn't exactly need to. Everyone knew that Moony would be attending lessons. He always did. He was mature like that. It was probably why Evans liked him and not James. Potter didn't care anymore.

"Well, send my regards to Snivellus and Evans," Sirius laughed. "Tell that Sirius Black says that he hopes they both drown in the Black Lake. He hopes that-"

James elbowed Black in the side, scorningly, but they both burst into laughter. Pettigrew laughed along. Remus shook his head.

"You really ought'nt miss classes on the first day, James," he advised, but he knew that he'd be ignored. His wise words were always rejected. The group never learned. "Lily would-"

"Uhm, frankly, Moony, I couldnt care less what Lily Evans thinks," Prongs replied sourly. He gave a small shrug. "I'll see you later though". When James stood up, so did Sirius. They left the hall with Pettigrew following and began to make their way to the room of requirement. None of the teachers would think to look for them there. They could chill without the worry of being caught.

Zara narrowed her eyes. Her grip on the paper was so hard that her nails pierced through, making a hole. She scrunched it up, and threw it across the table.

"What the fuck?" She hissed. "Did Zacariah write this? What kind of point is he trying to make?"

This was top level jerk. She knew that he was a git, but she didn't think that he would lower himself to this level. Zara wanted to cry, but fully refrained from foing so. Whoever had wrote this note, she was not going to give them what they wanted. That note would not break her, even though it had inside.

Zara had given Zacariah everything. Their relationship hadn't been steady at all. To her it's been passionate, to both of them it was quick, she'd never felt anything like it. Of course, she was a teenage girl. She'd never stopped and thought about being used. She had simply made the mistake in thinking that he had loved her.

She stood abruptly, her hand clenched into fists. She was ready to murder. No, slaughter. A bitch was going to be slaughtered for this, she'd ensure it. Ana reached out though and pulled her down sharply.

"Don't. You're angry, and you'll do things that you regret," Anaiah consoled her best friend. "Calm down. Take deep breaths. We'll found out who wrote this, I promise".

"It's him!" Zara hissed, her vision was a little blurred with tears that she refused to let flow. "I know it is"

"I don't know, Z. Zach might be a top level jerk, but there was a time that he cared for you," she paused, seeing her friends disbelief. "Don't look at me like that. I'm serious".

"Then, who, Ana?"

Throughout the rest of the day Lily couldn't shake the feeling of guilt about James Potter. Why did he always have to be on her mind? Whether it was because he'd wound her up and she was furious because of him or she was feeling guilty, he was constantly on her mind. What did he have that made him stuck in her mind all the time?

Changing her mind continuously during the day as to whether or not she should feel guilty, Lily decided that she wouldn't feel bad about asking Remus to go with her to the party. After all, she'd clearly stated that she only wanted to go with him as a friend and well, it wasn't as though she was James' property. She could very well go to a party with whoever she liked.

But then again, she was more than aware about how James felt about her and Remus was one of his best friends. Perhaps it was insensitive of Lily to ask Remus...

Marlene didn't seem to understand her guilt when she explained her dilemma, instead she told her to just enjoy the party. She was lucky to get an invite in the first place. But that didn't stop the sickening feeling of guilt in the pit of her stomach. Maybe she did feel bad.

When she arrived at the groundskeeper's hut for detention Lily wasn't exactly looking forward to her punishment. Punishment for something stupid that was down to James Potter, once again and to top it off both he and Sirius Black would be there too. At least she probably wouldn't have to spend the whole evening with the pair, surely they'd break off into groups.

As much as Lily had figured out that when you got detention with the groundskeeper, you had to go through the Forbidden Forest. Or was it, you had to protect the Forbidden Forest? In all honesty she just knew it was something to do with the forest and it was certainly named forbidden for a reason.

It was typical that no one else had turned up yet either, perhaps it would just be Lily and the new groundskeeper, Hagrid, was it? Maybe he'd feel sorry for her and just let her copy out some lines on a parchment. In the comfort of his hut. At least it was still light, although the forest looked rather dark.. That was what lumos was for anyway, wasn't it? It would be completely fine and she was silly to even consider worrying.

Tapping lightly on the large wooden door Lily wasn't too sure what to expect but.. Well, the large-no giant man who opened the door of the tiny hut was not, in fact it. Slightly a taken back Lily pushed a smile on her ivory face and stepped back carefully from the bearded giant.

"Oh, hello. I've come for detention.. My name is Lily Evans."

••••

The afternoon well and truly dragged for Alfie as he sat at the makeshift desk in Dumbledore's office. A bookcase which hadn't been put up yet, Dumbledore explained because of them having a new groundskeeper it wasn't something he'd gotten round to doing yet. A quill rested on the chestnut table in front of him as he heard Dumbledore's footsteps approaching.

"I believe you've got detention for the rest of the evening, Mr Sage. I hope that today has helped you to carefully consider your actions." The tall man stated as he looked down at the boy, his face being less than unkind although he was supposed to be punishing him. "If you'd like to make your way over to the groundskeeper's hut, Mr Hagrid will be waiting for you there." At that Alfie didn't hesitate to tuck in his chair and started to head for the stairs to exit the room when he heard his name once more.

"And Alfie, it may be wise to choose your mistakes carefully in the future. We wouldn't want anyone getting blamed for something they didn't do." With a brief nod, Alfie didn't quite know how to take the comment. How could he know that it wasn't him? Of course he didn't. But.. From the way he'd worded it, it just seemed like something more.

Shaking the thought from his brain as he reached the hut, Alfie couldn't help but be surprised to see Lily Evans standing outside. Obviously it wasn't just Lily but she was the least likely person he'd expected to see there. Along with a few other regulars, from what Alfie could deduce. Zara Sampaio also stood there with a face like a slapped arse. Someone had really pissed her off.

"Well it's about time you turned up, isn't it, boy? I'm supposing you're Alfie, eh?" A bold, bearded man in a size that Alfie could barely comprehend. Didn't he fit well in the role of a groundskeeper? Shutting his mouth which had become slight agape from standing before the man, Alfie gave a nod.

"That about does it, don't it?" The beast of a man counting the students with his large fingers, at least the width of three of Alfie's put together. "That makes, eigh' of you. You two can come with me." Him pointing to Alfie and then Zara, him then looking back at the remainder of students.

"You, you an' you can go man the lake for a while. You know where it is, what to do, don't you?" Hagrid asked pointing at Severus, Sirius and Peter Pettigrew. Him looking to Sirius once again before he spoke, "I've been told you know this detention route pretty well, so you'll be alright with them, won't you?"

"Finally, you three, you can take Fang with you. Won't let nothing hurt you, my Fang, I know she's only a pup but she'll be alright." Him addressing the three remaining students, as the giant man began to wander off towards the forbidden forest.

Alfie struggled to find this as some sort of punishment, he'd been dying to explore the forest since he'd started at Hogwarts but only ever got so far as the lake and now he was practically getting a guided tour. The wonder on his face wasn't quite reciprocated on the following students.

The three of the four marauders, who were willing to have a little bit of fun, sat and drank the day away. They had conjured the room of requirement as a place to relax without being disturbed. Pettigrew had fallen asleep after his first drink, which opened up and opportunity for a little bit of fun. With a permanent marker, the dynamic duo drew on an immensely detailed mustache. The good old hand in water prank hadn't been forgotten about either, to Peter's greatest dismay.

Having pranked Peter, the two marauders agreed not to prank each other. Sirius and James often stuck together that way. Sirius was quick to fall asleep, after having a fourth fire whiskey. His friend, however, found it a bit of a struggle. Even with the alcohol burning his throat, and bubbling in his stomach, he couldn't take his mind from Lily Evans. She was unhealthily intoxicating. A parasite that had become part of him. Everything about her was inescapable.

Potter had cupped his face in his hands. There was no desire to cry, he wasn't quite so defeated yet. There was still a fight to be fought, and Lily was his prize. He was not prepared to stop, not now or ever. If allowing her to move on and prove that he could be mature was what he had to do, then he would do it. Her happiness came before his.

He had eventually fallen asleep on the sofa. His dreams were of a certain red head, who rose from the fireplace and brought some warmth to his life. They were so vivid, so real, that when he woke up he didn't remember where he was. His attention was drawn to the muggle clock on the wall, always good to keep track on the time, when he realised how long the trio had actually slept. They were late, as usual, to go to detention.

Wormtail insisted on running to detention. He mumbled on to himself about how he didn't want another one tomorrow, and was so panic stricken that he didn't notice the wet patch along his leg. Padfoot and Prongs, not in anyway wanting to be associated with someone who wet themselves, had to explain to Pettigrew that he had to change his pants. Peter was fuming, blood rushing to his face as he turned a shade of crimson, but calmed a little when Sirius explained that they would find an excuse for him.

Having reached detention, the sun had begun to set, amongst the hills surrounding, setting sail towards the west. The night time was drawing in, and they were still journeying a long way from Hogwarts. The further they reached, the more James Potter came to the realisation that they would be out late tonight - they would probably walking too, doing some kind of boring task. It was a comforting thought that he would have Lily Evans to stare at, for some entertainment.

As Pettigrew arrived, Hagrid began to distribute tasks. Not that Potter would ever admit to it but, Hagrid was really quite frightening. He was the type of fellow who could kill all eight of them, with a swish of his hand, if he wanted too. It was understandable to say that he felt a bit relieved to be given a task away from Hagrid and, to top that, he was with Evans too.

James approached Lily with a mischievous smile on his face. "I guess you're with me" he addressed her. "I hope you don't mind too much. You know, because you would rather be in anyone's company but myself. Including my best friend's". He flashed her a million dollar grin, to show that there was no hard feelings.

Zara couldn't stop thinking about what had happened for the rest of the day. If Zacariah had written the flyer, like she assumed he had, then she was going to get him back, big time. Thinking about revenge didn't really lift her spirits, because she could remember an old quote, if she thought hard.

'Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die' it went, and it sounded rather rational if you weren't feeling angry. Even if she dropped her anger, what would stop the person from doing it again?

Having detention wasn't going to be much of a distraction, not a good one at least. From her experience, detention had always been boring and pretentious. It was a punishment, and punishments weren't supposed to be enjoyable. When here eyes fell upon Rebeus Hagrid, she wasn't sure whether she still assumed this to be boring. If his detentions were anything like him, they were definitely going to be bizzare and, well, big. Zara had been told that Hagrid loved magical creatures, but she never liked to rely on rumours too much. Lies, after all, spread much faster than the truth.

To make things at least one thousand times worst, Hagrid had decided to pair her up with Alfie, the boy who had taken the blame for her earlier. Perfect, not only did she feel angry now but, she also felt guilt on top of everything. This boy didn't even deserve to be in detention, but here he was on her behalf. She chewed her lip nervously, as she debated on whether or not to explain what had happened to him. Memories of Ana, crying at the table and talking about what kind of person could have done that to her, flew threw her head. She decided against a confession. It would have to be something that she would lock away, hide from even herself.

From what she could gather, Alfie and her were to go the forbidden forest. It was rather confusing, given the fact that it wasn't called forbidden for a joke. Nevertheless, ultimately, Hagrid was in charge. If Dumbledore had hired him, he could be trusted.

Attempting to keep up, Zara jogged over to the Slytherin boy. If she approached him and he was a git, then that would ease her guilt a little bit. She wasn't quite sure that a git would take the blame for someone else, but she couldn't give up on the hope.

"Hey, I don't believe we've met before," she held her hand out politely, with a coy smile. "I'm Zara Sampaio, and you are?"

It was typical that Lily had been paired up with James, it was almost like it was fate that they'd been put together. Guilt ridden and a mix of anger, how could she possibly have to spend the whole evening with James Potter? If there was ever anything that filled her with the slightest hope the evening wouldn't be a complete nightmare it was that they weren't completely alone.

The boarhound who wasn't much bigger than Lily's Turkish Angora; but was undeniable loveable, had rolls of skin that he was nowhere near grown into. The stone grey dog chewed on the makeshift lead, not something Lily would have used to control the puppy. A grisly brown rope with a messy tied loop around the puppy's neck, at least she'd been given the lead, if you could call it that. A distraction from those eyes which were already lingering on her.

Along with the short haired dog which was already pulling on the rope, Lily and James were accompanied by a third year Slytherin boy, who she didn't know the name of. Him seeming to be more familiar with the process than Lily already. As they headed through the first set of tall trees, the darkness soon crept in over them and Lily followed after the younger boy, hoping that the anxiety she was feeling wasn't showing on her face.

Her crimson locks were neatly pulled into a single plait and fell over her left shoulder, but she had a few strands which blew in the gentle breeze. Perhaps it was just Lily but she was willing to commit to saying it had become cooler since she entered the forest, goosebumps falling on her ivory skin, even on this relatively warm September evening.

Although it seemed quite like James was trying to joke about her going with Remus to the party, it didn't make her feel any better. Nor did the comment about being with anyone other than him. She didn't hate the boy but was she very fond of him, either? No.

"As it happens I suppose your company is favoured over Sirius Black's tonight." Lily replied in response to James, keeping her gaze ahead as opposed to on the dark haired boy. Was it really safe for them to be wandering around these woods without adult supervision?

As Lily glanced back to Hagrid she realised he'd already moved out of their sight and they were moving through the territory alone, with only the guidance of a third year Slytherin. If the thought wasn't enough to set her on edge the movement in the trees ahead, definitely done it. Lily wasn't stupid and she knew there were various creatures which inhabited in the forest but this far in? Wanting to turn back on her heels, she might have considered it if wouldn't have given James the satisfaction of seeing her in such a state.

"I wouldn't have actually had to come and do this detention if it wasn't for you, Potter. So it shouldn't really be a surprise to you that you aren't on the top of my friends list." Her immediately regretting the choice of phrase 'friends list', it made her sound rather childish and wasn't something she'd wanted James to think of her as, but she'd of course not wanted to give the impression that she was interested in Remus romantically. As lovely as he was, that just wasn't a priority for Lily at current, especially since they'd started N.E.W.T. level classes now.

"Besides, I didn't ask Remus to come with me to spite you. It wasn't my intention to upset you or Sirius as it so happens." Her guilt overcoming her anger, especially with that stupid grin he'd shared with her. Maybe the butterflies in her stomach weren't entirely due to just the forest.

"Where are we going anyway? I don't really understand what we're supposed to be doing. Surely it can't be safe for us to be wandering around these forests without a clue as to where we're actually going or without any intention of what we're doing." Lily deciding that it was a better option to have one hand on the lead and another in her robe pocket, with her wand at hand.

••••

It wasn't a shock to Alfie that Zara didn't know who he was. He'd been in the same Charms class as her for almost three years now and he had played against her in quite a few Quidditch matches. As it so happened she was a pretty good seeker, much to his disgust when she played against Slytherin. In fact he was quite intrigued about her father, him having read up on him, but of course Alfie hadn't bothered to ask. What was the point in showing an interest?

There was no denying that Zara was a pretty girl who appeared to have quite a fierce temper at times, that much he'd heard from Zacariah, with his big mouth in the Slytherin common room. It was very clear that she was his property from the way he spoke about her and really Alfie found it a rather bigotry way to speak about her. Not that he commented on it. Who was he to say anything to the idiot? He wouldn't listen anyway.

As his dark brown eyes contrasted with her much lighter ones the boy didn't shake her hand, in fact he just gave a simple nod. Something that had become quite accustom to him.

"We've been in the same charms class for the last three years, Zara. I'm well aware of who you are." A rather blunt reply as he started to walk at a quicker pace, trying to catch the giant up ahead. A small yawn resting on his lips as he looked up to the man, not really being one for small talk, only realising he hadn't answered her second question. "It's Alfie, my name but don't worry, I don't expect you to befriend me just because you're stuck on a detention with me."

Hagrid walked at a fast pace due to his gigantic steps, his beard swaying as he moved, Alfie almost expecting the ground to rumble to some extent with each boot that fell to the forest floor. "I've heard that they're various creatures in this forest, sir. What sort of creatures are they?" He asked addressing Hagrid rather than the girl. Of course it was quite clear she was only trying to be polite but Alfie had fairly happily made his way through six years at Hogwarts, without making friends and he wasn't desperate to start now. In fact he was much more interested in what inhabited these very woods.

"Well, eh, you've got quite a few differen' creatures in these here woods. Some things you probably wouldn't want to know about." The giant went on, seeming mildly distracted by something else as he walked, Alfie jogging every now and then to keep up. "Is it true that they're acromantulas here? I've read up on them quite a bit and I can't help but wonder what they're feeding on if that is the case, because what I'd read was that actually they're quite keen on human blood."

The giant shook his head at the boy as he spoke, "They don' just eat human flesh, actually they're quite keen on deer and the forest has got quite a lot of deer." His voice fairly soft as he spoke, not at all like how you would expect it to be. Alfie clinging to every word that fell from the giant's lips.

"Have you seen one then? Can they speak English then? Apparently they've been known to speak to their prey before they kill them." Alfie explained, not having noticed the path that they'd taken, him suddenly realising just how far they'd come. That point being when it clicked.

Hagrid was distracted. Distracted by the directions he'd taken, his large stride had taken the three deep into the forest and he clearly didn't know his way back. This wasn't a guided tour around the forest, in fact the new groundskeeper had managed to get them lost in his own grounds.

James Potter was taken aback, if a little bemused, that Lily Evans was conversing with him. She preferred his company above Sirius's, well that had to be a step in the right direction, didn't it? He stumbled over his feet in an attempt to keep up with her. Honestly, he didn't have a clue where they where, or what they were doing, but he couldn't care less. Nothing else seemed to matter, when Evans was involved.

"So you admit it then, you have to like me a little bit, or at least be somewhat indifferent towards me," he provoked her, a cheeky smirk creeping upon his face. "I knew you weren't a lost cause. Some day you will grow to love me, Lily Evans. I know it".

He didn't know it. In fact, every fibre in his body was terrified. Her very company unnerved him, not that he'd ever show it; he had a reputation to up keep.

James allowed his eyes to be removed from Evans for just a second, to consume his surroundings. There wasn't much to take in. The trees around him, gathered in thousands. They reminded him of coffins, but by a colossal number, like sometimes happens after a trauma, stood all firm and ominously. There was little light to guide their way, but the moon that was in the sky. And even that was blocked by the deathly trees.

A little bit shaken, he whispered the incarnation, "Lumos". The tip of his wand lit up, providing at least some light for them to see, and a little bit of warmth, which he was thankful for in the chilly autum breeze.

They hadn't been walking for long, when his attention was drawn to a lonesome figure. It stood with what could only be described as a lack of balance, shaking a little from side to side. James noted that it seemed to be watched them, and wondered how long it had precisely been doing so. More to the point, who was it, and what did it want?

He turned to Lily, torn on whether or not to worry her, but when he turned back it was gone. No worries, Prongs, he consoled himself mentally, it was probably nothing. If anything, it was probably the shadow of one of the trio, reflected by Merlin knows what. They'd be okay. Dumbledore wouldn't let them out, if it wasn't safe. Would he?

Zara was building toward rage. She loathed this boy already. Alfie Sage was quite pretentious. He would never in a thousand years win any awards for most popular student if he greeted everyone in this manner. And he wondered why she had never heard of him. If she kept talking, she was going to make a fool of herself. If she kept talking, talking, talking, she was going to say something that he didn’t want to hear. So, she walked in absolute silence, and followed the half giant along.

The anger that Zara had long dreaded to express, swollen now to rage the more she thought on it, was a consequence of repressed fear. She understood that much at least. Her grandpops memory trick didn’t burn away traumatic experiences. It flushed them down a deep memory hole, where they—and the fear associated with them—festered in the dark. For years, the fear had been at a low boil, until it became a thick and bitter reduction of fear, became enduring terror, became a suppressed anxiety laced with helpless foreboding.

When Zara was five, her and her brother had ventured into a forest, that wasn't too different from this one, only near the family cabin. When she re-emerged but her brother did not, it became the mystery of the era. What had happened to Johan De Rossi, the eight year old boy with so much of his life left to live? No body was able to answer the question, and the body was never found.

Zara's mother didn't particularly love her father; their relationship had never blossomed, with him always traveling. Zara loved her grandfather though, with all her heart. He was an important figure in her life, after moving back when she was just three.

Georgio Feliza was a strange man, that many would call a gypsy. Being a gypsy meant that Georgio new things that many people didn't, things that people would laugh at or call stories. He'd often tell Zara these myths and legends, promise that some day he would show her all the wonders of the world. His memory trick was the first wonder. After the trauma in the forest, he'd used it on her so that she could forget. He'd told her, "no little girl should ever have to live their life, with a memory so traumatic". So, she didn't. He erased it, just like that.

Being in this forest, triggered something. She couldn't remember for the life of her what it was, but the impending feeing of doom was there. Palms sweating, heart racing, she paced herself quick to keep up with everyone.

"Mr. Hagrid, sir, I hope you don't mind me asking, I don't at all want to sound rude... But do you know where we are?" She asked, her peridot gems scanning her surroundings. Everywhere looked the same. "What are we supposed to be doing out here?" She kept her eyes locked upon the giant, or rather what she could see of him, and refused to even glance at Alfie Sage. Quite frankly, it would be a blessing if he had disappeared in the mean time. He was simply an inconvenience, and ultimately gave her uncomfortable guilt that she did not wish to feel.

Lily only rolled her eyes when James responded, a huff following his second comment, but if there was anything she had to admit he was at least committed. He really wouldn't take no for an answer, it was just a pity for him that she could be just as stubborn.

"You know, when I was younger my Mum used to tell me that I'd grow to love broccoli but as it happens I dislike it even more now." It wasn't a lie, Lily didn't really like broccoli but she had grown on it a little. Maybe James Potter would be in the same category, but that wasn't something Lily would let on either way.

It was silly really, Lily loved Hogwarts and during the summer she found herself missing the place but her family, really were very important to her. In fact she wrote to her mother on a weekly basis, something that tended to fade out once students reached their third year, only with her parents being Muggles they were always amazed at anything Lily had achieved. If it wasn't for her magical abilities she wouldn't have left home and felt some guilt that their little girl had been taken away from them, even if they encouraged it.

The letters to her sister however, they stopped being sent on a frequent basis as she reached the end of her second year and now Lily only really sent a letter to Petunia on her birthday, along with a card. There was something about never receiving a reply that left her rather disheartened. Never quite managing to be the sister that Petunia longed for, no matter how hard she tried.

Now as she spent her sixth year at Hogwarts Lily really couldn't imagine her life without such magic. As it so happened in her current situation, Lily would have been more than happy to have headed back home, even if it meant to listen Petunia's whining, the idea almost seemed inviting.

It wasn't until she was certain of a figure ahead that she stopped in her tracks, her wand instantly finding it's way to her side.

"Wait." Her voice sharp as she warned the other two, the previously silent Slytherin who was ahead, turning back to face the pair. His blue eyes wide as he looked to James then to Lily.

"Is that--" He didn't get a minute to finish the sentence before Lily put a finger to his lips. It wasn't like the terror disappeared instantaneously but almost.

Although Lily had been extremely blessed to witness some remarkable phenomenons during her time at Hogwarts, this was something else. Before them stood a lone unicorn foal, the moon gleaming down upon the magnificent being.

"Why is it gold? What is it-" The Slytherin boy was once more cut off as Lily swished her wand quickly and whispered, "Silencio." Although she knew it probably wasn't the kindest thing to do at the moment, just this once she couldn't resist. How rare was it that you would be able to see a wild baby unicorn? He would appreciate it afterwards.

If she could recall properly, from what she'd read up in 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', it stated that unicorns didn't turn the shimmering shade of silver until they reached two years old. This one must have been younger than that because it was a gold that could only be reflected in the Gryffindor crest.

The three stood there in awe for what felt like almost a minute before the young creature galloped away. Something Lily knew she wouldn't forget in a long time. Now the forest didn't seem quite so terrifying to her, in fact the wind that rushed through the trees seemed more like whispers. Secrets that hid beneath it's haunting facade.

••••

It wasn't until the brunette next to him began to panic that Alfie swallowed hard and realised perhaps their teacher wasn't to be relied on as greatly as he'd first presumed.

A heavy sigh fell from the colossal man when Zara started to question about their whereabouts. He obviously didn't know. "Well, actually I'm supposed t' be meetin' a friend of mine, bu' it seems I may have taken us down a wrong path." He admitted to the pair with a rub of his forehead, an oversized frown resting on his kind face.

Alfie instantly starting to find a solution for their problem as he spoke. When they left, it was precisely 6:15, he'd been late and if he could work out how high the moon had travelled in that time, he might be able to work out just how far they would have travelled with Hagrid's haste pace.

Hagrid's footsteps.

They could backtrack which direction they had came from with his footsteps, surely with his weight and lumbering manner they'd have left footsteps in the forest floor. It had rained only early that morning, the courtyard floor being too damp to sit and read on.

"Without trying to be offensive, sir, I believe we can retrace our tracks from where we came from, if we follow our footsteps." Him glancing to Zara with his best attempt of reassurance which turned out something like a half smile.

With a unsure nod Hagrid threw a smile to the boy and then gave Zara a heartfelt pat on the back. "Our tracks. We can follow those back, you're righ' there." A shade of embarrassment seemed to cross the giant's face as he spoke but then nodded once more with a growingly reassured look.

Muttering 'Lumos', Alfie flicked his wand which had been hidden under the black robe; tailored with green assets, and then used the light to look to the floor. Surely they'd figure out some of the sights they'd seen on the way. A fallen tree here or there, an odd looking patch of toadstools, it'd be alright. It'd in fact be an adventure.

Giving Zara one last glance as they walked Alfie decided that perhaps he'd been a little brash himself, he hadn't given her the time of day and well, in all honesty, he felt rather sorry for her. The colour that'd rested on her cheeks as they made their way through the forest had faded and she looked very much like she'd rather be anywhere but there.

"You beat us in the last game of the season, last year. You're Hufflepuffs seeker, aren't you?" Him trying his very best to change the subject with her, if she felt so terribly uncomfortable, maybe it'd do her good to distract her. After all the last thing they needed was for her to have a panic attack and lose her in these woods.

As cliché as it sounded, James was more interested in watching Lily than watching

the unicorn. He observed her as she fawned over its beauy, more impressed with what she had to offer. Her exotic red hair was braided into a single plait that draped over her should. Being pulled away from her face, it revealed her flawless porcelain complexion and gemstone eyes. She glowed in the moonlight, how romantic, which outshone the unicorn, in his opinion.

Unlike the Gryffindor girl, Potter hadn't quite been calmed by the unicorn. Unfortunately for him, he'd also seen another creature, one that wasn't so magnificently glorious. Images of the unbalanced figure were etched into his brain, so that he could still see it now as they walked.

"Maybe we should think about sticking nearer to the edge of the forest," he declared, shoving hands scheepsinstallaties in his pockets. "Just so we can leave quicker when detention is over. I wouldn't want you to miss out on your beauty sleep". He winked, trying to brush off the urge to scream with unease. Everything about this place was creepy.

Only when he walked ahead, did he glance at the third year Slytherin. A snort escaped him, before he could control himself, and he shook his head. "Damn, Evans," he tutted, "I didn't think that you had it in you. Vicious".

He picked up a rock from the floor and idly threw it in the distance. A grunt could be heard, and his eyes shot to where the noise had originated. As quick as a flash, quite literally, the robes figure flew past them and dissapeared. Potters head nearly snapped, as he frantically turned to get a reaction. "Merlins beard, please tell me that you saw that too!"

Mr. Rebeus Hagrid had to be the bizzarest person that Zara had ever bestowed her eyes upon. Not only way he different in appearance, towering taller than some of the trees, but she'd never met a professor so careless in her life.

When Zara had been in her first year, the second that had was on her head and racking through her brains, it told her that she would do well in Ravenclaw. Now, Zara had heard about Ravenclaw, how it was for the wise and intellectual, but it didn't feel right. Georgio had been a Hufflepuff and, ever since he had admitted that to her, it was all that she'd dreamed of being. So, the hat allowed her to choose and she made her choice, deciding that kindness was more important than logic.

She did value kindness over wit. Giving someone your time of day to teach them is better than pointing them out a book that would. It was the mindset that she had kept, even until this very moment, but something about Reubus Hagrid made her lose her patience.

Then the boy approached, the one who had previously brushed her off and the one who consistently made her feel guilty. To say that she wasn't in the mood for his presence would have been pretty accurate. Her eyes flickered to his pale face, regardlessly, as he addressed her. He had to be one of the quirkiest, most handsome people that she had every laid eyes on. Yet, his personality was rotten - or from what she had picked up from her time here. He was pretentious old Slytherin, excactly like the others. His act of taking the blame for Ana hadn't been out of kindness, but to have some kind of glory to his name.

She shook her head. "I don't need your compliments, or your pity, Alfie Sage," She retorted. Then, pushing her midnight locks from her face, she brushed past the boy's figure.

There was so much of the forbidden forest. Clearly, an idiot would have known such a fact. It is only realistic that a forest would have so many trees. Nevertheless, it unnerved the Hufflepuff entirely. Every direction looked as forbidding as the next, but yet she only had two eyes. The vulnerability she felt was unbelievable.

Deciding it would be best to distract her self, because she sure as hell couldn't protect herself, she approached Hagrid. "Sir, if I may," Zara began. "What kind of person would be meeting you outside in the forest, at this time?"

Her attention was drawn to a particular figure, who stood solemnly to the right of them. She could distinctly see that he was a man, and no beast, for he stood on just two legs. He seemed a little eerie, dizzy even, as he struggled to balance on his feet. It was almost as if he was hypnotised in some manner, from watching them. She nudge Sage in the side, and pointed to the figure.

"Sir, if I may..." She turned to face the caretaker as she addressed him, but as she looked back the figure was gone. "I- Never mind. I thought I saw something, but it must have been nothing. A mere shadow... If anything".

It was rather amusing to see the usually confident James Potter on edge, although it did make Lily come to the realisation that perhaps the unicorn didn't symbolise everything was quite that wonderful in the forest.

"I mean, if you're that worried Potter, you could always cast Ascendio.. It'd mean you were high enough to see the way back to the castle. I'm quite handy with repair spells, actually, I've just mastered dispersimus, if you were to have an accident." The redhead suggested, knowing he was less than likely to want to do so but taking the pleasure in almost teasing him, nevertheless.

Holding back a smile Lily had almost forgotten she'd silenced the poor Slytherin boy and quickly reversed it, biting down on her bottom lip. "Oh Merlin, I'm sorry, I just really couldn't miss it. We couldn't have just missed the unicorn, we probably won't get a chance to see a wild foal like that again and you were going to scare it away with all your chatter. I'm sorry."

The Slytherin boy looked less than impressed with Lily's apology and cleared his throat before shooting a glare at her, realising that maybe it was just better to keep his mouth shut.

With James's words, Lily was armed with her wand and that feeling of anxiousness which had previously gone away was right back. Who was that and what were they wanting with them?

"Did you see their face? Do you think they've been watching us the whole time?" A sicken chill travelled through the girl as she looked warily around their surroundings, now it wasn't quite as awful to have James Potter by her side. If anything he was a talented wizard and Lily believed quite confidently that he wouldn't leave her.

"Do you know any healing spells? As it happens, the sooner we get back the better. I just remembered I've got a Transformations essay which needs to be in first thing and I'm willing to figure out the way, if you won't leave me with a broken leg or something, if I fall in a weird position." It was obviously a desperate idea, but as they were walking Lily didn't feel as though the trio were getting any closer to the castle. How long had that figure been watching them and if that was the case, what else was lurking behind the trees that they hadn't noticed?

••••

Alfie Sage? So she had noticed him somewhat, he hadn't mentioned his last name. Or perhaps she knew the name, as common as it was in the muggle world, his name tended to stand out amongst the wizard race, it ironically being rather rare there.

"Don't worry sweetheart, I wasn't complimenting you. Wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea." He replied bluntly, maybe his comment was wasted on her. Nevertheless it was a welcome reminder that he need not try to be kind, after all kindness didn't get you anywhere in life.

He'd certainly found out what it meant to be unkindbeing in the Slytherin house throughout his time at Hogwarts, although there were so many magnificent features to Hogwarts, there were also some downsides too. The majority of the Slytherin house weren't too keen on muggle born wizards like him. 'Mudbloods' being a term often thrown around in the Slytherin commons, especially from the likes of Bellatrix Lestrange.

To him the divide between wizards alike seemed primative. Reminded him of the divide in the muggle world with people who were racist, it just didn't make sense to him. But it was nothing new that his fellow Slytherins were seeing things from a tainted perspective, and sometimes he questioned as to why he'd fitted into the house. Then he remembered, he wasn't brave like a Gryffindor, wasn't kind like a Hufflepuff and probably didn't care enough to be a Ravenclaw. He fitted in the house of the leftovers, the rejects.

Not paying too much more attention to the girl accompanying him, Alfie focused on the tracks which he was trying to follow. It not being quite as easily as he'd first thought it would be. His attention only picked up again when Zara questioned the giant of who he would be meeting.

Seeming a little sheepish about his answer, the man shrugged it off and then fobbed them off with an excuse or at least it appeared that way. "Oh doesn't matter, official Hogwarts business, mind. Nothing fishy at all." The boy didn't get a moment to question any further as he received a sharp jab in his side.

Who was that and why were they watching them with such attentiveness? The boy's face instantly fell into a deep frown and as Zara spoke he looked back to her and then as he quickly returned his gaze, it was gone.

How could they have possibly disappeared quite so quickly? What were they doing there? He'd seen the figure just as Zara had and although his brain tried to figure out a logical explanation, he couldn't help but doubt that it was another student on detention.

Without getting much longer to think on the matter, Alfie could vaguely see the large castle through the trees, it's light making it stand out against the ominous darkness.

"We're back.. It must have been your mind playing tricks on you Zara, nothing to worry about, I'm sure."

As Lily Evans began to ramble, the sinister feeing of the forest was dimished. Her general aura emitted a light in the darkness, which comforted him like a child's night light. He smiled at her, without a thought of it, reassuringly and shook his head. Something inside of him knew that he would protect her to the end, that she didn't have to worry.

"I don't know, to be quite honest," he replied, scratching his head. "I don't think it's been there too long". He lied, a white lie. It wasn't like it was important how long the thing had been watching them. What mattered was the fact that it had been watching them. Lily didn't need to be any further worried.

Despite messing around in class a lot, James Potter was not stupid. There wasn't a dumb fibre in his body, except around a certain red headed flower. When she was near, everything stopped working in his head. He was lost, with no control over his actions. Nevertheless, he had still learned a lot during his time in Hogwarts. He knew more than enough to come out victorious from a duel. Not that he would ever admit it to the marauders, but he practiced spells a lot in his spare time. Defence against the dark arts was his favourite past time.

"Between us, we know more than enough to get us by, but yeah," he agreed, "we should definitely keep closer to the edge, just in case". Prongs could hardly think of a person able to hurt the girl, let alone willing, but it wasn't a risk that he wanted to take.

As the trio began to wander towards the end of the forest, Potter looked about anxiously from side to side. The figure that had previously been there was there no more. There wasn't even a trace left of its presence. It didn't hurt to be cautious though, or he had always assumed. Alas, assumptions can be wrong.

Being so consumed in his watch, James forgot to scan the ground in front of him. His foot soon caught under some kind of root, and he found himself soon stumbling. As he fell, for what seemed to be like a lifetime, he inwardly cringed. Why did he always make a fool of himself around Evans? More to the point, why had he been falling for so long. The answer became clear, as he stood in a gaping hole looking up at the other two.

"Excuse you," Zara Sampaio crossed her arms. Her face boiled a darker shade of red than the Gryffindor crest. She could feel herself getting warmer, and began to worry if in fact she may explode. It was hardly possible, but it felt very much so. "What do you think I am? I'm not stupid, Sage. I know exactly what I saw, and so do you".

It was lie. She couldn't say for the life of her what she had saw, but she did know that she hadn't made it up. That creature had been there. It was possible that I could have even been a person, but it was there either way. He'd turned his head in time to see it too, she knew it. That slimy wretched Slytherin, how she hated him. He distaste grew a little more, another link was placed on the chain with every living second.

She had been so stupid and naive earlier, when she had seen him reading alone. She'd been even more so pathetic, when she felt guilt for him taking the bullet for her crime. Now, she felt he deserved it all. In fact, she hoped that very same creature came back to haunt him in his sleep. All Slytherins were the same.

Pushing past, ensuring to shoulder him out of the way, Zara stormed out of the forest with curled hands. If she didn't escape the proximity of Alfie Sage, she would without a doubt be on another detention for physically assaulting a student. Magic or not, she would eventually lose control. This was something that she couldn't allow to happen, if she wanted to follow her grandfather. Kindness always had to stay, even if it was forced. It was a part of her very being.

When they were in a comfortable place, close enough to the edge, she allowed herself to look at the giant. Not once did her eyes move from his face, a safe place from the glares of the wretched Slytherin.

"Sir, what exactly are we supposed to do then?" She rubbed her head sorely. "If your friend isn't here, or there, then we don't have too much to do". For a moment Zara contemplated asking to leave, but decided not to be cheeky. The last thing she wanted was another detention.

Despite the eerie feeling that fell over the trio when the figure had been seen, Lily was greatful that they were towards the end of their adventure. The castle was almost visible at this point and the wind was now picking up to give a cool breeze on her bare arms. 

Keeping her gaze ahead, Lily didn't believe James Potter's words entirely, they both knew the figure had been watching them for longer than she wanted to think on. Nevertheless they were almost back to the castle, the comfort of the common room fire that danced playfully, even in the summer, somehow was much more appealing than their current situation. It wouldn't be long until they were back, right?

A heavy sigh escaped Lily's lips as James disappeared. It didn't take any magic to figure out where he'd gone. Of course he'd fallen down some sort of rabbit hole, but unlike Alice, she didn't tumble down the hole after him. Instead with the young Slytherin, looked down to where James stood, only he could manage it. "We were almost back to the castle too, Potter. Trust you to do your best impression of Alice in Wonderland, are you there yet?" 

For all Lily knew James might not have even heard of the muggle novel, yet it was too good of an opportunity to miss. It was one of her very favourite books and Lily had a vivid memory of her mother reading it to her and Petunia before they went to bed, when they were fairly young. They often used to joke about the similarities Lily shared with the blonde haired girl, 'always away in a dream' as her mother used to say. 

"Are you okay, down there?" The petite girl asked, meeting James's eyes and biting on her bottom lip to contain the laughter, once she could see he was quite alright. 

"Do you think you can managed to get out?" Instead of giving James a chance to reply the auburn haired girl pulled off her robe and then quickly undone the belt which had rested around the waist of her flower covered dress. Placing it on the floor, she aimed her wand at the item and clearly stated, "Engorgio." With her wand fixed on the belt she held it there until it reached roughly three times the length it was. 

"Climb up Rapunzel." Another muggle story reference, maybe the two boys knew what Lily was talking about or maybe not, either way she didn't mind too much, she just wanted to get back to the common room and perhaps grab a hot chocolate from the kitchen on the way. 

••••

Unlike Zara, Alfie had mastered the art of biting his tongue. It wasn't going to be of any help to anyone if he snapped back at the girl, the last thing he needed was anymore hassle. After all detention was going to be the normal for a while now. "I don't know what you're talking about, Sampaio, sorry to disappoint." He confirmed, it wasn't as if he needed to get himself in any more trouble and mysterious black figures, that sounded like trouble. 

Although there was a risk that Zara would hex him, it was a risk worth taking. Not to mention the fiery look in her eyes was fairly attractive, maybe he'd make a point of pissing her off again, if it meant she'd push him up against a wall. 

As as she stormed off through the forest Alfie didn't make anymore conversation with the giant, in fact he was pretty sure he'd given Alfie a worried look if nothing else. What was there to say anyway? 

They reached the end of the forest too soon for Alfie's liking, he still wanted to hear about some of the other creatures that lurked in between the trees, he knew that they hadn't seen everything that the forest held and that only made the Slytherin more curious as to what was out there. 

Zara's words snapped the windswept haired boy out of his thoughts, him looking to her face without meeting her eyes once. She wouldn't look at him, he had indeed pissed her off, not that it had too much effect on him. It wasn't anything new, another person who wasn't too keen on him. That he could live with. 

"I guess that means your detention is over, don't it? Remember to behave in the future." Came a large voice from the soft beast that stood besides them. Alfie wasn't going to argue either way, he just gave a nod to the man as he slipped his hands in his pockets, not bothering with a goodbye to Zara or an offer to walk together, he just headed towards the castle.

At least day one was almost over. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back