Experiences Power leveling madness

MikaboshiEinst

Custodian of Infinity Archive
Hey Y'all! I have been doing RP recently and stumbled on the weirdest issues in rp mechanics...

mostly it involves on Power Level Limits.

Usually we do not like godmodders in the RP but I tend to find and root out People who doesnt seem to get the memo and decided to be cheeky with their godmod sues...

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue before? And what actions did you do?

What do you mean?
Well i had experienced a usual rp where the limiy was supposed to be "city breaker" only....

then here comes a girl who suddenly says her power is to control items she touched as hers that allows her to use it... Simple right?

Turns out when elaborated her skill makes each items in her control and can be imbued with a concept (eg when she cuts with her sword ..."her" sword would convey that command to cut anything) basically allowing her to kill anything.

the worst part is she only needs to just have a small contact on said object to be on her absolute control and no object in her control can be used to kill her.

She insisted its"city buster level" and that its "necessary for her character"

Then there was the multiple character sheet = god killer combo. Where a guy creates a character (which we nerfed because he has a no limit on his "dimension shift" skills)... Then he creates a secondary "character" (a sentient sword) which not only has a new skill we have to ask for him to nerf butsaid "character" can be equipped tp the first character to essentailly unnerf the character's dimension shift abilities and magic but also allows them to use the second "character's" ability un nerfed.... Both characters controlled by the same guy btw...

I see.

Well, my method for power level is to get more concrete criteria. I don't judge power level as some ideal, but I try to have more concrete measures and rules I can fall back on. I know what things I want to avoid and conceive whether the ability would be able to do those things. One of my most common criteria, for instance, is "a person without powers or equipment must stand some chance against you".

When someone comes to me with too much power or an ability I find broken, I try to level with them. I express what my problem is with their ability and I ask them some questions in hopes of figuring out what in the ability is truly important to them. If the ability as a whole is indespensible, then I tell them to scrap the ability. If I can't see a way to redeem the ability then I tell them to scrap it. But if something that not power is the essence of what they want, then I try to nerf the ability in such a way as to allow them to keep the core without making something that risks the roleplay's well-being.

My methods work relatively well, for the most part. The biggest obstacle are the kind of player who believe players should be given as much freedom as possible or that my view of abilities by their potential, rather than by what I actually expect players to do with them, is misguided. Whether those people are correct or not is not the current topic so I won't be diving into it, but it is true that when people like this get on the type of roleplay that regulates abilities the way I do, things at times get tense. Especially when they are the kind of people who make even wilder assumptions.

In any case, I hope this helps! Good luck and happy RPing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back